Packers vs Vikings

Emperor_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The run defense the past 4 games has been horrible. I think the Viking game is going to be really tough. When Adrian Peterson gets the balls it may be mayhem if we don't drastically improve now until then. It doesn't matter if Bert has a good game or not it will be tough to stop Adrian to make some big plays. I think I like our chances on pass defense but it can also get ugly when Rice makes his return.

All I can say is I predict 1-1 with us losing game 7, getting a little better after playing some better teams and us winning game 11. Then maybe 1st round bye and homefield advantage.

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah right, you really think Favre is gonna let anyone other than himself have the spotlight against his old team whether Rice is back or not? Childress doesn't have the balls to tell him no, so Favre will probably audible into pass plays hopefully resulting in a few picks

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
define run defense. our Run defense has been good. our prevent the QB from scrambling into the 1000 yards of open space that our LBs should be in defense, is bad.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we got Clay Matthews.

And don't teams prepare to meet the team their gonna play during the week leading up to the game?
The Packers will try their best.
Have faith in Dom Capers and the D.

And I doubt that a game can be won in this day and age on running alone.
Stop Burnt Fart and ya stop the Viqueens.

OP
OP
Emperor_Xyn

Emperor_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but we are not the Packer team. We don't prepare for anything we only discusse. Since our most hated rival at the moment is the Vikings I decided to open a discussion about it. Run defense as in stopping the run has been horrible. I don't know how you can say it hasn't been that bad. Even the lions have been running all over us.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.

GB at PHI:
L. McCoy: 7 runs for 35 yards, 1 td. 5 yards average, but in only 7 carries.
BUF at GB:
M. Lynch: 17 runs for 64 yards. 3,75 yards average.
F Jackson: 9 runs for 39 yards. 1 td. 4,3 yards average
Gb at CHI:
M. Forte: 11 carries for 29 yards. 2, 63 yards average.
DET at GB:
J Best: 12 runs for 50 yards. 4,16 yards average.

3,96 yards average and 2 total TDs given is anything but terrible run D.

Unless you expect Favre to run all over us.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
149, 124, 77, 123; these are the rushing totals against the Packers so far this season. Vick skewed the first one, but still, these numbers aren't the greatest. In fact at this point in time I think the Packers are ranked 24th in the league against the run. This could well become a trouble spot. I think, though, that we can win in a shoot out.

It's a big "if" but if any team consistently grinds it out against the Packers and keeps Rodgers off the field, they have a good chance of beating the Pack. The run D does need to tighten up.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
149, 124, 77, 123; these are the rushing totals against the Packers so far this season. Vick skewed the first one, but still, these numbers aren't the greatest. In fact at this point in time I think the Packers are ranked 24th in the league against the run. This could well become a trouble spot. I think, though, that we can win in a shoot out.

It's a big "if" but if any team consistently grinds it out against the Packers and keeps Rodgers off the field, they have a good chance of beating the Pack. The run D does need to tighten up.
The numbers I've posted.

Vick had 103 yards.
Edwards had 12.
Cutler had 37.
And Shaun Hill had 53.

Vick, Cutler and Hill were their teams' best rushers.

So far, no RB has had a 100 yard game against us, and no RB has had more than 1 TD against us (only 2 tds rushing TOTAL).

If you think we have anything short of a very good run D, you are out of your mind.
Unless you expect QBs to keep killing us with their feet. And newsflash: Favre isn't going to scramble against us.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The numbers I've posted.

Vick had 103 yards.
Edwards had 12.
Cutler had 37.
And Shaun Hill had 53.

Vick, Cutler and Hill were their teams' best rushers.

So far, no RB has had a 100 yard game against us, and no RB has had more than 1 TD against us (only 2 tds rushing TOTAL).

If you think we have anything short of a very good run D, you are out of your mind.
Unless you expect QBs to keep killing us with their feet. And newsflash: Favre isn't going to scramble against us.

If Edwards only had 12, then running back by committee had over a hundred against us in that game. The D did hold the Bears running game, but they weren't really running that much. The Lions running game must have had 70 yards rushing by committee. A team doesn't have to have a single guy be the one to grind it out. Many teams use running back by committee. In the Vikings there is a real threat with Peterson if he holds on to the ball. I'm not worried about Favre running. We all know and he knows he doesn't have the wheels anymore. But Peterson could carve our guys up. (Boy do I hate typing that.)

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.

GB at PHI:
L. McCoy: 7 runs for 35 yards, 1 td. 5 yards average, but in only 7 carries.
BUF at GB:
M. Lynch: 17 runs for 64 yards. 3,75 yards average.
F Jackson: 9 runs for 39 yards. 1 td. 4,3 yards average
Gb at CHI:
M. Forte: 11 carries for 29 yards. 2, 63 yards average.
DET at GB:
J Best: 12 runs for 50 yards. 4,16 yards average.

3,96 yards average and 2 total TDs given is anything but terrible run D.

Unless you expect Favre to run all over us.

Its the pass defense that I am worried about. I think we are averaging like 185 yards a game on pass defense.........but for some reason it sure seems like more. Favre tore us a new one last year because we couldn't get to him. I think we are getting that push up the middle a little more this year crushing the pocket
which should give Favre a bit more problems..............but what I would like to see is us basically treating Favre like Cultler got treated by the Giants. I am wondering when we are going to start dominating teams.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Edwards only had 12, then running back by committee had over a hundred against us in that game. The D did hold the Bears running game, but they weren't really running that much. The Lions running game must have had 70 yards rushing by committee. A team doesn't have to have a single guy be the one to grind it out. Many teams use running back by committee. In the Vikings there is a real threat with Peterson if he holds on to the ball. I'm not worried about Favre running. We all know and he knows he doesn't have the wheels anymore. But Peterson could carve our guys up. (Boy do I hate typing that.)
Read the first post I've made and you'll understand.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Read the first post I've made and you'll understand.

I guess I'm really slow, but I don't get it. 3.96 yards average can reasonably be rounded, so lets say 4 yards per carry average by opponents. Any team in the league will take an offense that can average 4 yards a carry. In three downs you have a first down without even throwing the ball, all things considered. If the offense just rushes twice each series that leaves a very manageable third and short. I don't think that's a good thing for a defense. What am I missing?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
From teams that played the Packers. The average number of yards the Running Backs only have per game.

Philly 85 YPG
Buffalo 63 YPG
Chicago 53.25 YPG
Detroit 76.5 YPG

As you can see the number of yards the running backs the Packers have played are not on the high end. At 85 YPG that's only 1360 yards for the season. So while the Packers may not have had many YPG against them, some of it is because of the teams they played. We will be able to tell more once the Pack plays Miami whose backs average 105 yards per game.

When they play the Jets, 169 ypg, the Vikings, 143 ypg, and the Falcons at 144 ypg then we will see what the Packer run D is made of. And for what it worth. Currently the Packers give up the second most yards per rush at 5.2. Only Oakland gives up more.

OP
OP
Emperor_Xyn

Emperor_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From teams that played the Packers. The average number of yards the Running Backs only have per game.

Philly 85 YPG
Buffalo 63 YPG
Chicago 53.25 YPG
Detroit 76.5 YPG

As you can see the number of yards the running backs the Packers have played are not on the high end. At 85 YPG that's only 1360 yards for the season. So while the Packers may not have had many YPG against them, some of it is because of the teams they played. We will be able to tell more once the Pack plays Miami whose backs average 105 yards per game.

When they play the Jets, 169 ypg, the Vikings, 143 ypg, and the Falcons at 144 ypg then we will see what the Packer run D is made of. And for what it worth. Currently the Packers give up the second most yards per rush at 5.2. Only Oakland gives up more.

Well that is true. We will be tested soon. That is also why i'm worried a little bit. I don't know I just havent seen much that will be able to stop a high power running game. I may be wrong and I hope I am. Just getting a little skeptical.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we got Clay Matthews.

And don't teams prepare to meet the team their gonna play during the week leading up to the game?
The Packers will try their best.
Have faith in Dom Capers and the D.

And I doubt that a game can be won in this day and age on running alone.
Stop Burnt Fart and ya stop the Viqueens.

We had Clay last year and Favre on a couple plays had 5-7 seconds to stand back there chug a beer eat a burger scan the defense then throw the ball. No...if Favre has that kind of time...he'll pick apart our secondary whether Harris is back and at full speed by then or not.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm really slow, but I don't get it. 3.96 yards average can reasonably be rounded, so lets say 4 yards per carry average by opponents. Any team in the league will take an offense that can average 4 yards a carry. In three downs you have a first down without even throwing the ball, all things considered. If the offense just rushes twice each series that leaves a very manageable third and short. I don't think that's a good thing for a defense. What am I missing?
You're missing the fact that opponents only scored 2 TDs, that RBs have been kept under 100 yards, and that not every carry is for 4 yards. And more importantly, we have only given 14 first downs to rushes by RBs. 1 first down to RBs (5 first downs) in the last 2 games.

GB at PHI: 4 rushing first downs. 3 were on Vick scrambles.
BUF at GB: 9 first downs.
GB at CHI: 0 first downs. 2 were on Cutler.
DET at GB: 1 first down. 2 were on Hill.

If you still think that we're a terrible team against, there's nothing more I can say to you...

Philly 85 YPG
Buffalo 63 YPG
Chicago 53.25 YPG
Detroit 76.5 YPG

Yes, that is considering QB scrambles, and in 4 games, in 3 the opposing QB has been the rushing leader.

Like I said, the numbers more than prove my point. Moreso, considering last year's performance, we're a great run D.

One can make a case that we're the worst D when facing scrambling QBs. But against running teams per se? I don't see it.

OP
OP
Emperor_Xyn

Emperor_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well one good side to the whole Viking side is that Brett Favre will probably rather throw a INT than get out of the pocket and have a chance for Clay to lay a hit on him. But dang, we we will see how bad our rush defense is that game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
BTW:

The Vikings allowed 6 rushing first downs against the Saints, 6 by the Dolphins, and 3 by the Lions. Just in comparison.

How did the Steelers do by comparison? I see some of what you are saying, but could the low numbers be due to the big passing games of our opponents? I guess I see that #24 ranking and see the average yards per carry against the Defense and I get worried about someone like Peterson. I'd love to be wrong. I was surprised Lynch did so well when I was watching that game. Maybe I'm expecting that if we want to be contenders then we should be able to stuff the run like the Steelers. After all, we use the same defense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did the Steelers do by comparison? I see some of what you are saying, but could the low numbers be due to the big passing games of our opponents? I guess I see that #24 ranking and see the average yards per carry against the Defense and I get worried about someone like Peterson. I'd love to be wrong. I was surprised Lynch did so well when I was watching that game. Maybe I'm expecting that if we want to be contenders then we should be able to stuff the run like the Steelers. After all, we use the same defense.
Steelers with Polamalu are far and away the best D in football, no arguing with that.

But for comparison's sake:
6 to ATL
6 to TEN (didn't count which, if any, where Young's scrambles)
5 to TB
4 to BAL

Didn't expect it... They actually did worse than us. But they are the #1 in YPC. I haven't watched any of their games, but it must be that they're not giving big runs (longest was for 12 yards), and are stuffing opponents behind the LOS.

Our run D has been very good. When it matters, we have stopped opponents.

And at passing D, we are #7 in yards, and we're positive in TD vs INT (4 tds given vs 5 ints).

We are also leading in sacks.

The only criteria where we're struggling, on D, is in QB scrambles. The rest, we have been very good, so far. Yes, there is the competition factor.

Well, we're the 4th worst in FGs given, but I can live with that.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You're missing the fact that opponents only scored 2 TDs, that RBs have been kept under 100 yards, and that not every carry is for 4 yards. And more importantly, we have only given 14 first downs to rushes by RBs. 1 first down to RBs (5 first downs) in the last 2 games.

GB at PHI: 4 rushing first downs. 3 were on Vick scrambles.
BUF at GB: 9 first downs.
GB at CHI: 0 first downs. 2 were on Cutler.
DET at GB: 1 first down. 2 were on Hill.

If you still think that we're a terrible team against, there's nothing more I can say to you...

Yes, that is considering QB scrambles, and in 4 games, in 3 the opposing QB has been the rushing leader.

Like I said, the numbers more than prove my point. Moreso, considering last year's performance, we're a great run D.

One can make a case that we're the worst D when facing scrambling QBs. But against running teams per se? I don't see it.
That's not including the QB scrambles. That's only the RB numbers. And the top running back the Pack went against so far was Matt Forte who had 747 yards last year. McCoy had 637 yards last year. I don't think the Pack has really been tested so far.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not including the QB scrambles. That's only the RB numbers. And the top running back the Pack went against so far was Matt Forte who had 747 yards last year. McCoy had 637 yards last year. I don't think the Pack has really been tested so far.
What is your source? Because from my math at NFL.COM, that number isn't accurate.

Though, I must admit, I didn't count the 1 attempt RBs...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is your source? Because from my math at NFL.COM, that number isn't accurate.

Though, I must admit, I didn't count the 1 attempt RBs...
No. Did the math. You're way off base.

Excluding the QB runs, there has been 70 attempts agains the Packers, for 268 yards, which concludes to 3,82 yards per carry.

Here's the breakdown:
GB at PHI: NFL Game Center: Green Bay Packers at Philadelphia Eagles - 2010 Week 1
L. McCoy: 7 for 35
J. Maclin: 1 for 11
L. Weaver: 1 for 0

BUF at GB: NFL Game Center: Buffalo Bills at Green Bay Packers - 2010 Week 2
M. Lynch: 17 for 64
F. Jackson: 9 for 39
T. Edwards: 3 for 12
R. Parish: 1 for 4
C. Spiller: 1 for 3
C. McIntyre: 1 for 2

GB at CHI: NFL Game Center: Green Bay Packers at Chicago Bears - 2010 Week 3
M. Forte: 11 for 29
C. Taylor: 3 for 9
J. Knox: 1 for 2

DET at GB: NFL Game Center: Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers - 2010 Week 4
J. Best: 12 for 50
K. Smith: 3 for 12
J. Felton: 1 for 6
C. Johnson: 1 for 2

And regarding being tested, again, last year we were the #1 rush D. Our D didn't change that much (2 pieces from the base D, the DE and the S). So whatchootalkingbout Willis?

toughlovepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You people are retarted did you not watch last year's game? Or everytime favre went back to pass you just covered your eyes and screamd" its not real, its not real, its not real". Favre is playing horrible right now but he still a HUUGE threat to our overrated pass defense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You people are retarted did you not watch last year's game? Or everytime favre went back to pass you just covered your eyes and screamd" its not real, its not real, its not real". Favre is playing horrible right now but he still a HUUGE threat to our overrated pass defense.
Lol. The minute you tried to register two accounts to appear as if another guy had the same thought as you, you lost every single credibility. (Favreapologist, is that it?)

Pathetic.

Members online

Latest posts