Bad news for the Vikings

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe many folks feel that to beat a really strong opponent carries more glory than beating up on a weakling.

I agree 100%. Obviously beating a strong opponent is better than beating a weak one but that wasn't part of my post. I thought about putting that in but I figured it was so obvious that I didn't feel it was necessary.

The gist of my post was that if the goal of any season is to win the SB would you rather be considered the best team in the league or would you rather be the champion.

So you would rather lose the SB to a superior team than win it over an inferior one.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it that Packer fans think that their 3rd string QB's are any better than any other teams 3rd string? The Vikings currently have QB on the roster that is probably better than Callahan. Granted he's on PUP right now but his numbers across the board from last year are better than Callahan's' this year.

I'm guessing its not a Packer thing but a fan thing. From reading some posts on this site, and other Packer sites, 22 guys cut by the Packers tomorrow will be snapped up by other teams by Sunday. I have no idea who that 3rd QB for the vikings is but you seem to be guilty of it yourself.

Most fans are partial to their players. That's why you see conversations like this

Fan A "he sucks, he is the worst player on our team. we should trade him."

Fan B "what would you trade him for"

Fan A "He should be worth a third rounder at least"

Its not a bad thing its just a team thing.

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100%. Obviously beating a strong opponent is better than beating a weak one but that wasn't part of the part of my post. I thought about putting that in but I figured it was so obvious that I didn't feel it was necessary.

The gist of my post was that if the goal of any season is to win the SB would you rather be considered the best team in the league or would you rather be the champion.

So you would rather lose the SB to a superior team than win it over an inferior one.

It's all about balance. As long as when you do win the Superbowl you can look at your team and say they earned it.
I'd much rather watch my team have a hard-fought, entertaining season than one in which they routinely demolish the opposition. I never did like God Mode.

Of course as a Cowboys fan this isn't a problem I have to face

D

Deleted member 6794

Another issue for the Vikings is where this comes in his contract. He will now miss all of year three and from what I have read with his injury could miss some or all of year 4. They have to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option before his 4th season. In May of next year teddy will be 9 months into his recovery and since this is much more than an ACL they will have to make that call without seeing him in any sort of action. I assume they will pick it up bc it will only be what 5 million or something but still something to watch

This season picking up the fifth year option for a quarterback drafted between the 11th and 32nd selection cost a team $11.357 million. That number will most likely increase for next offseason.

I think the point was that the team was very good last year and Bridgewater was supposedly making big improvements during training camp. A team with the defense the Vikings have and the running game they have would be a very good team with an improved quarterback.

Bridgewater is mostly a game manager not turning the ball over. I didn't see the potential of him becoming a top 10 quarterback anytime soon even before the terrible injury and therefore the Vikings taking the next step.

Minnesota's success is based on their running game and defense and while they won't regress a lot because of missing their starting QB they have to find an improvement over their current options to stay competitive.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season picking up the fifth year option for a quarterback drafted between the 11th and 32nd selection cost a team $11.357 million. That number will most likely increase for next offseason.

Thanks for the correction. I just looked at what a guy drafted near his spot received. Didnt know it was position dependent. Well that makes my point even more. 12 million for a guy who hasn't played for a while will be a huge gamble but risking him being healthy and hitting the open market will be too

D

Deleted member 6794

The Vikings have traded a 2017 first and a 2018 fourth round pick to the Eagles to acquire Sam Bradford.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings have traded a first and a fourth round pick to the Eagles to acquire Sam Bradford.
bwhahahahahahahaaa!

Can't believe they didn't learn from the Eagles (and Rams for that matter) mistakes!

If you are going after mediocre, at least find a guy who is not injury prone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That seems a bit steep. Why not wait till week 8 to see if he's still healthy before giving that up?

regardless, if GB stays healthy, i'm not concerned who they have at QB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Bradford has never been a winner in the NFL. People are saying "reunited with AP" after he was "reunited with Murray" in Philly. Some QB's just don't have that "it" factor and Bradford is one of them.

This is a move that screams panic and urgency to me. You send a 1st and a 4th to Philly for a QB that Philly didn't really want in the end anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder what their options were? Bradford hasnt had a good season yet has he???

His career rating is 81, so not really. But some teams still think he has untapped potential :D This also feels like the Vikings may think Teddy may not be ready for 2017, since Bradford is under contract for 2 years.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't see how this trade makes sense. Before the picks were announced Viking fans I know were hoping it was a 3rd or 4th alone

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually don't think this is all that bad of a move for the Viks. Considering they didn't have a lot to work with, why not take a chance on Bradford? Being in Philly I have to say, it's true in terms of quarterbacks, Bradford is unproven. But that doesn't indicate a lack of talent it just means it hasn't happened yet. From what I've seen the talent is there. Ultimately I think this could be a boneheaded move on the Eagles at least for this season. Looking at this trade from their end this trade does little to help them now. Who is going to be their starting QB this year? The Vikings get a new beginning when they were dead in the water.

Trade prognosis:

Present: Vikings potentially benefit if Bradford proves to be a good fit.

Future: Eagles benefit if they draft wisely.

On another note what are the Eagles doing with their quarterbacks? Over the last few years I've seen them decimate a pretty talented quarterback pool.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other end of this has someone in zn office in Philly rolling around the floor laughing over the Vikings giving up a 1st round pick for a quarterback the Eagles weren't even sure they were going to start. All I'm saying is the trade doesn't help the Eagles very much in terms of viable quarterbacks this season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bridgewater is mostly a game manager not turning the ball over. I didn't see the potential of him becoming a top 10 quarterback anytime soon even before the terrible injury and therefore the Vikings taking the next step.

Minnesota's success is based on their running game and defense and while they won't regress a lot because of missing their starting QB they have to find an improvement over their current options to stay competitive.

C'mon, Bridgewater has played two seasons and only ever been asked to be a game manager, so he's far from a finished product. I get that we dislike the Vikings but that doesn't mean a third year player on the Vikings can't improve.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put a decent QB on the Vikings with a great running game and a top five defense and it's foolish to just assume the packers are gonna have an easy time of it. I think the packers win the division but it's not like the Vikings have suddenly turned into the Bears.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what their options were? Bradford hasnt had a good season yet has he???
Bradford has lots of potential but little to show for it. He is often injured and still makes too many stupid errors. He plays great for stretches and then lapses back into the same. Given his issues with the system, I doubt he is going to be effective for the vikings till mid season at the earliest. And there is a chance he will be injured before then he has a 50% only of staying healthy.

The worst part of him is the poor leadership. He threw a tantrum after the Eagles moved up to get a QB. He demanded to be traded and boycotted some OTAs iirc.
Eagles got a lot more for him than I would have thought.

Vikings are going to regret this move.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol if only for the fact that the Vikings were dumb enough to do this.

Shoot if they were willing to give that up for Bradford I'd just trade them Hundley. Might have to bump that 4th up to a 2nd though cause there's still hope Hundley can actually be... ya know... good

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put a decent QB on the Vikings with a great running game and a top five defense and it's foolish to just assume the packers are gonna have an easy time of it. I think the packers win the division but it's not like the Vikings have suddenly turned into the Bears.

Who's the decent QB on the Vikings?