Bad news for the Vikings

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Poor bastard. Hope he heals quickly and completely, but that sounds horrific. Man, one step, with no contact, and now he career maybe forever limited. Feel really bad for him. Plus, he is still on rookie deal. He had yet to really cash in.

It happens, I remember doing some full contact sparring a few years ago and one while i was taking a breather one of the guys just stepped backwards and then went down like he'd been shot. He'd ruptured his achilles.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as Viking fans want to deny that this will hurt their season, on a psychological stand point I don't see how this team will cope with the addition of a back up or new QB to perform as they expected this season. This was a big blow to them.

Unless they have Callahan. :whistling:

H

HardRightEdge

Yes, but not as big of a deal as a division rival getting Callahan imo.
With Hudley reinjuring that ankle and being iffy for week 1, you can figure Callahan will be on the roster regardless of any concern about him being "stolen" off the practice squad. In any event, the Vikes would not likely be interested in Callahan as a starter.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikes are screwed. Their back ups suck. You cant win without a qb...
Vick maybe?

You know its bad when vick is an option...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
What is the reward if you are the best team and you lose every game? I thought the goal of the NFL season was to win the Super Bowl not be the best team? The best team does not always win it so yes I'd rather have the championship team than the best team. No one has ever said "I'd rather be the best team than the winning team" and meant it. Its like when fans from the losing team says "we played better" and fans from the winning team say "yeah but we WON"

As a sports fan my reward is not the Packers being better than some other team. My reward is the enjoyment I get from the games they win and the performances the players deliver. I have absolutely no personal investment, other than time, in the Green Bay Packers and I have absolutely zero control or influence over how they perform so I take no personal reward in what they accomplish regardless of how they accomplish it.

Since everyone is so afraid of being accused of being happy for injuries I will say it this way. I would rather win a game against backups than lose a game against starters. Yes, I would rather win against the starters but the key is to win and facing backups gives a team a better chance to win. Again, since I have no influence over any injuries our opponents my suffer I'm not going to feel bad if we have to face them in a depleted condition. I will feel bad for the injured player and I will never hope a player gets injured just so we have an easier time but if it should happen I'm not going to feel guilty about the advantage our team suddenly has.

I believe many folks feel that to beat a really strong opponent carries more glory than beating up on a weakling.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton manning isnt exactly nothing. And though brock osweiler sucks, he was still a very good back up who earned a starting job and a 72 million dollar, 4 year contract...
Peyton was the worst starting QB in the league last year. He was terrible. Obviously he's one of the smartest QB's of all time, but still. That defense single-handedly took them to the SB and got them the W.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
With Hudley reinjuring that ankle and being iffy for week 1, you can figure Callahan will be on the roster regardless of any concern about him being "stolen" off the practice squad. In any event, the Vikes would not likely be interested in Callahan as a starter.
Why is it that Packer fans think that their 3rd string QB's are any better than any other teams 3rd string? The Vikings currently have QB on the roster that is probably better than Callahan. Granted he's on PUP right now but his numbers across the board from last year are better than Callahan's' this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why is it that Packer fans think that their 3rd string QB's are any better than any other teams 3rd string? The Vikings currently have QB on the roster that is probably better than Callahan. Granted he's on PUP right now but his numbers across the board from last year are better than Callahan's' this year.

I guess the reason being that most Packers fans only watch the team's preseason games and get away impressed with a third string quarterback making plays.

With that being said I think Callahan is a unique prospect having played in Division III but proving the NFL game isn't too big for him. As of right now he's not anywhere near ready to start in a regular season game but with further development might end up being superior to a lot of third stringers having played for other teams during exhibition games.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the guy you are talking about is on PUP so it makes sense people wouldn't include him. Just an aside the guy is on PUP for breaking his foot while trying to break into his own house. Is this really a guy you might want leading your team ;)

And the Vikings current back up is someone Packer fans are very familiar with since he was a Badger. The idea that Stave would be on a practice squad let alone one play away from a starting qb is insane. It isn't like has been impressive for the Vikings either. Immobile and inaccurate that is probably why the Packers think Callahan is better

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan has a lot to learn, there is no doubt. He takes some bad sacks, I'm not sure if he trusts his first reads or not, but from where he came from to how he's performing as an undrafted rookie from a small school is worth talking about. But he hasn't really been careless with the ball, he can avoid a rush, he can scramble and pass well.

why shouldn't we talk about him? He was supposed to be the guy we saw that came in in the 4th quarter and we'd watch the offensive wheels mostly grind to a halt in every preseason game, instead he was starting and playing against 1's and 2's and performing better than a lot of back ups we've had thru here recently. I still have bad visions of Young, Harrell, Brohm, Coleman, etc that flash thru my head.

I can tell you after watching Stave in one preseason game and his career at WI, I know who I would want on the field for me between the 2.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with Bridgewater I've been thinking that the Viqueens would be one of those teams that made the playoffs last year but wouldn't this season. Like the Lions between 2014 and '15.

Anyhow, Adrian Peterson is still their offensive identity and Bridgewater going down doesn't alter their offensive style and approach so much. Shaun Hill isn't as mobile as Bridgewater but he's a veteran and will be the guy they go with. If they make a move or deal for another it'll be with an eye toward next year in case Bridgewater's recovery and rehab isn't complete for 2017.

They certainly aren't going to go after a rookie from another club with any thought he could be their starter this season. Their only interest in Callahan from Green Bay would be to get intelligence on the Packers. But I think Callahan is going to start the season as the Packers' back-up while Hundley nurses his bad ankle.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with Bridgewater I've been thinking that the Viqueens would be one of those teams that made the playoffs last year but wouldn't this season. Like the Lions between 2014 and '15.

Anyhow, Adrian Peterson is still their offensive identity and Bridgewater going down doesn't alter their offensive style and approach so much. Shaun Hill isn't as mobile as Bridgewater but he's a veteran and will be the guy they go with. If they make a move or deal for another it'll be with an eye toward next year in case Bridgewater's recovery and rehab isn't complete for 2017.

They certainly aren't going to go after a rookie from another club with any thought he could be their starter this season. Their only interest in Callahan from Green Bay would be to get intelligence on the Packers. But I think Callahan is going to start the season as the Packers' back-up while Hundley nurses his bad ankle.
I'm going to sound mean again, but Viking fans are overrating Teddy. Yes, he's a young and talented QB. I like him, but he's far from a great QB and I'd honestly consider him a "decent" QB at best. He is not the nucleus of this team and I'm honestly already tired of seeing posts from Viking fans saying that this was a Super Bowl team with Teddy at the helm. Dream all you want, but it's just not true.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hill has started a total of only eight games over the last five seasons snd has significantly regressed since being considered one of the top backups in the league years ago. While the Vikings success is based on Peterson running the ball and an elite defense the team will need a better quarterback than Hill to stay competitive.

With Hundley being active for yesterday's game at Kansas City I expect him to be ready for the season opener at Jacksonville. Nevertheless it's possible Callahan makes the Packers final roster.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to sound mean again, but Viking fans are overrating Teddy. Yes, he's a young and talented QB. I like him, but he's far from a great QB and I'd honestly consider him a "decent" QB at best. He is not the nucleus of this team and I'm honestly already tired of seeing posts from Viking fans saying that this was a Super Bowl team with Teddy at the helm. Dream all you want, but it's just not true.
He was still an ascending player. He has talent and great leadership skills, and I think he still has not reached his peak. If he picked it up a notch the Viking offense would be that much more formidable. I still think the Packers are better, and now without Teddy, we should be able to handle them.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was still an ascending player. He has talent and great leadership skills, and I think he still has not reached his peak. If he picked it up a notch the Viking offense would be that much more formidable. I still think the Packers are better, and now without Teddy, we should be able to handle them.

He may have been ascending but he didn't improve much statistically from rookie to sophomore year. He still struggled on deep passes and once the field tightened in the red zone. I have Viking fan friends who called him check down Teddy. Most were kind of meh about his performance last year and we're really looking to this year as the make or break

Another issue for the Vikings is where this comes in his contract. He will now miss all of year three and from what I have read with his injury could miss some or all of year 4. They have to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option before his 4th season. In May of next year teddy will be 9 months into his recovery and since this is much more than an ACL they will have to make that call without seeing him in any sort of action. I assume they will pick it up bc it will only be what 5 million or something but still something to watch

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that he was ascending. I like Teddy a lot, and so do his teammates/fans obviously. Praying that he has a healthy recovery, I enjoy the competition.

I honestly just wanted to bring the Vikings fans back to reality this season. While they did have a very nice season last year, the Packers were also terrible for the entire second half of the season and they only took the division by ONE game. When's the last time they won a playoff game? Personally think they had gotten way too cocky.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton manning isnt exactly nothing. And though brock osweiler sucks, he was still a very good back up who earned a starting job and a 72 million dollar, 4 year contract...

Manning was as close as you can get to nothing last year. Osweiler joins a long list of backups who had, at most, a good season (many, just a game or two - Packer fans know who) and parlayed that into a ridiculous contract.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe many folks feel that to beat a really strong opponent carries more glory than beating up on a weakling.

Hard to argue with that. Now, see how much glory there is in losing to a really strong opponent instead of squashing a weakling. Even though the Broncos were heavy underdogs and the SB champ Packers, I wish Davis and Elway had twisted an ankle or something so the Pack could be 5-0 in Super Bowls instead of 4-1.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the point was that the team was very good last year and Bridgewater was supposedly making big improvements during training camp. A team with the defense the Vikings have and the running game they have would be a very good team with an improved quarterback.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

QB in the NFL is now a yes/no proposition when it comes to contracts. Either you're a backup and get a contract commensurate with that or, if a team thinks you're a starter, then you can demand a ridiculous salary because any QB with a pulse gets vastly overpaid...or you could be the Jets and risk throwing away a season because you want to save $4 million.

Members online

Latest posts