Bad news for the Vikings

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a crazy trade on the surface, unless you are looking at it from the Vikings likely perspective.

They have to think that they had a great shot at the SB this year with Bridgewater, and still have a solid one with a serviceable starting QB in Bradford. Giving up the 1st using this logic means less to them as it would be a late 1st rounder, which can be recouped with some of their other picks being moved around at draft time.

If they didnt feel like there was a FA option available to be had, and didnt see a trade for a better QB for less with the same level of upside in their system, then this was the trade to be had. It is a shame for them it cost as much as it did, but any trade they were involved in was going to have some level of premium being that they had no real bargaining position to come from if they really wanted a player, other than a higher than should have been draft pick.

All that being said, With his history of tear- prone ACLs himself, it would be a disastrous trade if he only makes it 4 games before hitting IR as well.

Im less excited to face them now than I was 4 hours ago, for what its worth.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone thinks the vikings are crazy for trading for a qb even a 1st and a 4th. It is that they did it for a very average injury prone qb who hasn't won much at the nfl level. I do think this points to teddy being a question mark to return. You don't trade that much for a year rental so the Vikings likely are not expecting teddy to start in 2017 either

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a crazy trade on the surface, unless you are looking at it from the Vikings likely perspective.

They have to think that they had a great shot at the SB this year with Bridgewater, and still have a solid one with a serviceable starting QB in Bradford. Giving up the 1st using this logic means less to them as it would be a late 1st rounder, which can be recouped with some of their other picks being moved around at draft time.

If they didnt feel like there was a FA option available to be had, and didnt see a trade for a better QB for less with the same level of upside in their system, then this was the trade to be had. It is a shame for them it cost as much as it did, but any trade they were involved in was going to have some level of premium being that they had no real bargaining position to come from if they really wanted a player, other than a higher than should have been draft pick.

All that being said, With his history of tear- prone ACLs himself, it would be a disastrous trade if he only makes it 4 games before hitting IR as well.

Im less excited to face them now than I was 4 hours ago, for what its worth.

Here's the thing. They didn't give up a 1st and a 4th for a decent/serviceable QB. They gave up a 1st and a 4th for a bad QB.

They effectively just lit a 1st round pick on fire out of desperation. I love it

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously though. Who else would've just traded them Hundley for this package?

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't prefer Hundley on the Vikings instead of Bradford but damn if I wouldn't pull the trigger on that deal.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, they do have a long history of bringing in quarterbacks in a desperate bid to finally get a Super Bowl

Jim McMahon, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Bert Farber, or something like that, Gus Frerotte, Josh Freeman...

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/p...for-sam-bradford-is-driven-by-a-romantic-idea

As Albert Einstein supposedly said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

BTW, when he hasn't been injured and played Bradford's career quarterbacking record in the NFL is 25-37-1 for a percentage of .405.

The Packers have faced Bradford only once; a 30-20 win at St.Louis in 2012. Bradford was 24 of 31 for 255, one td and one pick with a rating of 82.4 that day.

Last edited:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously though. Who else would've just traded them Hundley for this package?

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't prefer Hundley on the Vikings instead of Bradford but damn if I wouldn't pull the trigger on that deal.

Almost any gm would trade a backup qb for a 1st and 4th I'm guessing, but you are making the assumption that the vikings, or any other gm for that matter, see Hundley as a better qb than bradford right now.

Unfortunately the nfl has shown more times than not that the known is worth more than the unknown, which is why we continue seeing retreads out there from players to coaches even if success continue to elude them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unfortunately the nfl has shown more times than not that the known is worth more than the unknown, which is why we continue seeing retreads out there from players to coaches even if success continue to elude them.

Reminds me of Matt Flynn and his fortunes with the Seahawks ($26 M 3 year deal with $10 M guaranteed). Had he not actually played in any regular season games, no way does that deal happen. Everyone knows how it turned out. Will be interesting to see if the same happens with Osweiler this year.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing. They didn't give up a 1st and a 4th for a decent/serviceable QB. They gave up a 1st and a 4th for a bad QB.

They effectively just lit a 1st round pick on fire out of desperation. I love it
Yea, the 1st rounder they would have needed to get a new franchise qb again....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's the decent QB on the Vikings?
Sam Bradford.

I know it's fun to use him as a punchline but this will be the best team he's been on. Go and actually look at his stats the last three seasons. He's a decent NFL QB. Not good by any means, but certainly decent.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can stay healthy, Vikes are no worse off in my opinion. That is a very big 'if' though.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Mark Sanchez was just signed by Dallas. Vikings front office is dumb. If they had waited they could have had a Bradford clone in Sanchez without giving up your future (ie 1st rounder)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Mark Sanchez was just signed by Dallas. Vikings front office is dumb. If they had waited they could have had a Bradford clone in Sanchez without giving up your future (ie 1st rounder)

Read an article about an hour ago can't find it again. Anyway, it said that Hill has been a better QB in nearly every stat than Bradford.

The only thing is Bradford is much younger. It's an interesting move by the Vikings.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a desperation move, IMHO. They thought they were only 1 player away from a deep playoff run or better so they mortgaged they're future for him. They'll find out week 2 that they were wrong, but it'll be too late. I'm glad they knee-****** ~ a few more years of Minnesota hopelessness.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Bradford.

I know it's fun to use him as a punchline but this will be the best team he's been on. Go and actually look at his stats the last three seasons. He's a decent NFL QB. Not good by any means, but certainly decent.

Decent would imply at least average. It's not difficult to name 20 QBs that are better then him.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
What a really questionable trade. Surely there was someone else they could of gotten for less that would of been better than Bradford.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Bradford.

Apparently not decent enough to win the job in Philly over rookie Carson Wentz and Chase Daniel.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ok quick list of all the QBs that are better right now today

1.Rodgers
2.Brady
3.Big Ben
4.Cam
5.Wilson
6.Bortles
7.Romo
8.Cutler (yes even he's better then Bradford)
9.Dalton
10.Luck
11.Stafford
12.Eli
13.Winston (yep I'm saying it)
14.Palmer
15.Alex Smith
16.Brees
17.Rivers
18.Carr
19.Ryan
20.Flacco
21.Mariota
22. Tannehill
(This list is in no particular order)

Thats just off the top of my head and I could argue Cousins is better also And I left Teddy B off for obvious reasons. Really wasn't that hard. Pretty much just went through every teams starting QB in my head and came up with few that I was like " Yep they'd win more games with Bradford"

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently not decent enough to win the job in Philly over rookie Carson Wentz and Chase Daniel.

Huh...weird. I coulda sworn it was Bradford playing with the first team offense in the the team's third preseason win against the Cardinals. Wentz has been hurt since week 1 so I'm not sure how exactly he beat out Bradford....maybe a better analysis might be that the Eagles traded an insane number of picks for Wentz and want him to start and just made the path for him to start a whole lot easier, WHILE getting a first round pick.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok quick list of all the QBs that are better right now today

1.Rodgers
2.Brady
3.Big Ben
4.Cam
5.Wilson
6.Bortles
7.Romo
8.Cutler (yes even he's better then Bradford)
9.Dalton
10.Luck
11.Stafford
12.Eli
13.Winston (yep I'm saying it)
14.Palmer
15.Alex Smith
16.Brees
17.Rivers
18.Carr
19.Ryan
20.Flacco
21.Mariota
22. Tannehill
(This list is in no particular order)

Thats just off the top of my head and I could argue Cousins is better also And I left Teddy B off for obvious reasons. Really wasn't that hard. Pretty much just went through every teams starting QB in my head and came up with few that I was like " Yep they'd win more games with Bradford"

OK...Cutler, Ryan and Tannehill and certainly not without doubt better considering all have played on better teams than Bradford. Smith coudln't throw a TD pass to a WR for an entire season and you're claiming he's better? So, by my count that would put Bradford in a tie for somewhere around 18? In a league featuring 32 teams, that's decent considering Bortles is a terrific example of how TDs aren't the best indicator of how a QB actually performed. Much of Bortles success was sheer volume and anomalous performance (unless you honestly believe that Blake Bortles will continue to convert red-zone passes into touchdowns at a rate that would be the highest in NFL history).

Staff online

Latest posts