Week 3 almost bungled it studs and duds

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember who won the coin toss against the Seahags, but 2 weeks in a row now MM has won the toss and elected to put his Defense on the field first, watching both the Falcons and Bengals methodically drive the ball for opening TD's. Maybe time for Mike to rethink this strategy and get his offense out there first?

I like receiving the second half kickoff. Like yesterday being behind 21-7 at halftime.....

H

HardRightEdge

I don't recall Randall ever being a center field type FS in college. Why are we so sure that's his natural position?
Randall was a free safety in college. In fact, many had him ranked as the #1 FS in that draft. He played some cornerback too. However, in watching a full game tape where he was switched from safety to corner it was because the guy he replaced was terrible.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Randall was a free safety in college. In fact, many had him ranked as the #1 FS in that draft. He played some cornerback too. However, in watching a full game tape where he was switched from safety to corner it was because the guy he replaced was terrible.

I'm not trying to say that I remember it perfectly, but from what I can recall I thought he was usually played around the LOS, even as a safety. I do know that he switched between the two.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if that's true, balls skills is important anywhere in the defensive backfield. Why center field?
Those are the guys most likely to get in position to make an interception imo.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Those are the guys most likely to get in position to make an interception imo.

Maybe this is just semantics. When I think ball skills, I think of the ability to play the ball. And I would separate that from the instincts and acumen necessary for center field, i.e. angles and positioning.

It's the latter that I don't know about regarding Randall. And I mean that literally-- I don't think I've seen it before. I know I haven't in the pro's and I don't recall it at ASU.

H

HardRightEdge

Zierlein certainly didn't write him up as a center fielder.
That's a pretty good summation. I would note, however:

"Senses throws underneath and breaks on them early." That would be a qualification not currently present at the position.

He's also what I would call a "chaser". The speed shows up when he's running somebody down.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's a pretty good summation. I would note, however:

"Senses throws underneath and breaks on them early." That would be a qualification not currently present at the position.

He's also what I would call a "chaser". The speed shows up when he's running somebody down.

Personally I think his best position is Hyde's from last season.

H

HardRightEdge

Personally I think his best position is Hyde's from last season.
Well, Hyde was not that good of a slot corner. He too was better as a safety.

If we can say that the chief qualification of a slot receiver is quickness into his breaks to get enough separation (which is not a lot) in short to intermediate routes, and I think we can say that, then the chief qualification of a slot corner is to be quick into the receiver's break. That wasn't Hyde and it is not Randall. Yes, I know, the Packers were looking at making Randall the nickel corner. I'm not seeing it. I don't see quick twitch in is game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, Hyde was not that good of a slot corner. He too was better as a safety.

If we can say that the chief qualification of a slot receiver is quickness into his breaks to get enough separation (which is not a lot) in short to intermediate routes, and I think we can say that, then the chief qualification of a slot corner is to be quick into the receiver's break. That wasn't Hyde and it is not Randall. Yes, I know, the Packers were looking at making Randall the nickel corner. I'm not seeing it. I don't see quick twitch in is game.

At his best, Hyde wasn't a true corner or safety. His role had elements of both, as well as a little bit of linebacker type work at times. He made plays moving towards the LOS in that role. That's how I see Randall at his best. He did a bit of that on Sunday.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They couldn't outplay him as a receiver either. At least Boykin made plays when he got a chance. Those guys did nothing

You are right, my point was that I think TT tried to get someone in to replace Janis and when I say replace I mean on STs since he obviously isn't a factor in the offense. If either of those guys would have been Janis's equal on STs I think they would have been kept over Janis simply because I think we know what we have in Janis at the WR spot. Those guys were drafted to try to replace Janis on STs and if they did anything on offense it was just gravy. They couldn't so they were sent packing and JJ got a break for another year.

D

Deleted member 6794

You are right, my point was that I think TT tried to get someone in to replace Janis and when I say replace I mean on STs since he obviously isn't a factor in the offense. If either of those guys would have been Janis's equal on STs I think they would have been kept over Janis simply because I think we know what we have in Janis at the WR spot.

There were still several posters expecting Janis to finally produce on a consistent basis as a wide receiver this season once they heard a report about him catching a ball during practice in the offseason though.

Latest posts