2023 week 14 played like pigs: studs and duds

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on Love. He has a decent arm and can zing it in there like Favre use to. Unlike Favre he can also run to avoid defenders and extend plays.
Not as accurate as Rodgers but good enough at this point.
In Rodgers first year as full time QB the packers finished 6-10.
I expect love's biggest improvement will come over the next few years as he starts figuring things out, learning to read defenses, making better decisions on reads etc.
For me he's a keeper.
I already think Love does a real nice job of reading defenses, going through his progression and he has a quick enough release. I see his biggest limitation so far as very poor accuracy on deep throws. That reduces the size of the field the opposing team needs to cover. Time will tell if he improves in that phase of his game. So far, Love has to be seen as a qb you can build around. Perhaps that means a LT in round one.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Reed, Wicks (he may have fumbled, but he jumped right back on it), Jones in the first half.
Duds: Almost everyone else. JL was mid at times (one pretty good throw doesn't erase that massive over-throw on 4th down). The coaching staff (especially on the defensive side), dropped the ball and were lost, AGAIN. These last two weeks are like a HUGE step backwards. How do you go from easily handling the Lions and Chiefs, to getting beat by the lowly NYG and the middle of the pack Bucs at home? SMH.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: Reed, Wicks (he may have fumbled, but he jumped right back on it), Jones in the first half.
Duds: Almost everyone else. JL was mid at times (one pretty good throw doesn't erase that massive over-throw on 4th down). The coaching staff (especially on the defensive side), dropped the ball and were lost, AGAIN. These last two weeks are like a HUGE step backwards. How do you go from easily handling the Lions and Chiefs, to getting beat by the lowly NYG and the middle of the pack Bucs at home? SMH.
Because the team is still young and can't be consistent. Specially when Def coach sucks

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Mayfield is the first opposing QB to have a perfect passer rating at Lambeau. Think of all the HOF QB's who have played in Lambeau... Baker Mayfield? Really Joe?

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That defense is so inconsistent. One week can't stop the run. Next week can't cover the pass. The next week can't do either. Valentine is the only rookie starting on defense. The other dbs and safeties have no excuse..except well..they suck! Dline is also very inconsistent and Vaness is good..but..doesn't play a ton.
I still don't get why they have Jonathan Ford..if they aren't going to use him. He is 6'5" and 330lbs..not many guys are going to push him around. If your run defense sucks, at least try different guys in there!! You probably won't make the playoffs with that **** defense anyway!

Reaction score
From what I see from the posts, Barry shouldn’t be the only one with a isle seat on Spirit Airlines, someone in upper management should go also
I agree. However I think Gutey is darn good at talent evaluation. We now know he wasn’t crazy with his most prominent selection… Jordan Love.

He’s done much better than an average GM bringing talent in, especially through trades, Free Agency, Waiver wire etc

Although we need to go back to the Well ready and use FA on a moderate level Veterans. Go grab 2 veteran player upgrades at minimum.

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading some of Lafleurs other comments..he might be thinking about a change. His comments on X seem to be different than what he said earlier.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After giants game

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
It's almost like he's the head coach and can override anything his coordinators and doesn't. He admitted this? That is fireable. He didn't take action. Gute must fire him

PackFan727

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baker isn't an ordinary 20 td to 8 int b4 this game
Nuthin’ special about Mayfield. Special QB’s include Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert, Tagovailoa, C.J. Stroud and Brock Purdue.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nuthin’ special about Mayfield. Special QB’s include Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert, Tagovailoa, C.J. Stroud and Brock Purdue.
Special I would say he isnt

You said ordinary...big difference

Hurts? What was his play like his 1st 2 years? Hint..worse than Love

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayfield is the first opposing QB to have a perfect passer rating at Lambeau. Think of all the HOF QB's who have played in Lambeau... Baker Mayfield? Really Joe?
When your defense is letting the other team have historically good games, that's a telltale sign it's time to move on.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special I would say he isnt

You said ordinary...big difference
And this season the Packers have faced a good number of second string and 3rd string QBs which may make our D look better than it actually is. Goff, Mahommes, Cousins, and Hebert before Mayfield are gamers.
When your defense is letting the other team have historically good games, that's a telltale sign it's time to move on.
And Barry put himself in the record book.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And this season the Packers have faced a good number of second string and 3rd string QBs which may make our D look better than it actually is. Goff, Mahommes, Cousins, and Hebert before Mayfield are gamers.

And Barry put himself in the record book.
I vote for improved defense. We've had the opposite of that during the Rodgers era with many GB teams capable of putting up 35-40 points a game and they often did. During all those years we got one SB way back in 2011and then its been a dry spell since.
I feel Love has a lot of potential. If he continues to grow and improve he could be a good one.
When Rodgers took over QB duties full time his first year he had guys to throw to like Donald driver a 9 yr veteran and Greg Jennings a 3 yr guy.
Love is starting out with guys with much less experience.
Rodgers first year stats were
Yds-4038, TD-28, INT-13, Comp % 63.6.
Currently Love is
Yds-3368, TD-25, INT-11, Comp% 62.6.
Right now Love is capable of getting us 20-30 pts a game.
We need a DEFENSE!!!!!..please

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Right now Carolina could be the battle of the century?
Yeah. .. ain't that the truth. I've got a red hot poker up my butt about THIS loss. ...and I'm now leaning toward "indifferent" on this team. :mad: That my friends is a rarity - my wife even noticed it and she doesn't know a goal line from a clothes line.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season is all peaks and valleys. A couple defensive observations:

D Campbell - used to read very well against the run and adequate at covering outside. What changed? Injured at times and poor execution.

Wyatt - not even close to where he was taken. He gets mauled frequently.

Gary - magically now not playing at an avg DE level. Loses contain and is not disciplined against the run.

P Smith - cannot be used to cover zone middle - he is the wrong player to accomplish this.

Q Walker - this player has talent but is obviously not being coached correctly.

Stokes - Looked horrendous in coverage when plugged back in after a bad injury.

Alexander - frankly the defense played better without the best player in the lineup. Not sure of injury status here.

Nixon - was not acquired to be the starting slot cover. square peg in a round hole.

Savage - continues to struggle in all facets of the defense.

Collectively this defense can be fixed, but lack of communication amongst its parts appears to lie squarely on the DC. This defensive unit is a failure.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. .. ain't that the truth. I've got a red hot poker up my butt about THIS loss. ...and I'm now leaning toward "indifferent" on this team. :mad: That my friends is a rarity - my wife even noticed it and she doesn't know a goal line from a clothes line.
Look on the bright side: Our defensive coordinator is on a contract year.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I don't really have anything positive to say.
Dud: Play calling again. Thank goodness they gave up on the end arounds, but they also just gave up on the run. Jones had a nice carry to start the game and then they seemed to just lean into the passing game. I understand when you get down you need to score and score quickly. However, that wasn't the case in the first half and Jones didn't seem to be involved in the second have. Jones had 13 carries and he team had 17 total. We ran 39 pass plays.
Dud: Defense. 452 yards given up on the day. I think Mayfield is still scoring. Mayfield! A guy who has bounced around the league tore us up. Just a shake my head defensive performance. 353 passing yards.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Studs: I wouldn't say studs. Probably me. I got on the jumbotron and killed it.
Middling: Love, he took care of the ball and managed the game. Wicks was solid. He's definitely a keeper. Reed had a spectacular TD reception. Ben Sims had 0 catches for 0 yards. Job well done for not making any mistakes.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds

Defense-All of it

Barry-Enough is enough, utterly shredded by Baker Mayfield to the tune of 350 yards, 4 TDs, seemingly EVERY third down conversion (regardless of distance) and a 158.3 rating is completely embarrassing. Can we have a defensive back cover Chris Godwin? Like once? Ever? Please. Campbell looks washed, but shouldn't be anywhere near Godwin in his prime. Enagbare's incredible solo play was the one silver lining amid the absolute carnage.

Studs

Love>Reed TD was an eye-opening, ELITE level play on both ends; shades of Rodgers>Adams/Nelson improvisation

Wicks

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't address the individual studs and duds, as that horse has been beaten to death. However, I saw a defense that played well enough on the line but everywhere else looked slow and confused. It was symptomatic of players not trying hard, a defensive coordinator that did not make any adjustments, and a head coach that did not intervene to manage the entire team during the game.

I was concerned about Stokes jumping back into things, and Walker too. They both looked bad as expected. I read where Baker Mayfield said that they didn't do anything different on offense. That means that we weren't even prepared to defend against their base offense:

"Worst yet, Mayfield said the Buccaneers didn’t do anything different on offense. They ran their normal scheme and just played better than they had been."

Members online

Latest posts