Game 1 - Bears - Studs and Duds

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - Jones, pass protection, Love, Defense, All Special Teams

Duds - Penalties, injuries, Ford, first half passing on 1 st down.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: All but Ford.

This was overall the most complete game I've seen in a VERY long time.

One observation... I'd like to point out how accurate Love is particularly on crossing routes hitting guys in stride. That second TD to Doubs was a thing of beauty. His decision-making was excellent, taking what the D gave him. Of course, it helps when your OL gives you half an hour to think it over.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: All but Ford.

This was overall the most complete game I've seen in a VERY long time.

One observation... I'd like to point out how accurate Love is particularly on crossing routes hitting guys in stride. That second TD to Doubs was a thing of beauty. His decision-making was excellent, taking what the D gave him. Of course, it helps when your OL gives you half an hour to think it over.
Pass protection was excellent imo. Very clean pockets to work in.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs as a group: rookie class. 2 sacks, really nice vision from Reed on punt returns, and nice routes/separation from Musgrave, even if he did fall on his ***. That's a ton of meat on the bone in game ONE.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Gary with a sack and strip..good to see him out there. Wyatt had a very good game. Nice sack by him too!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - Bakh for not getting flagged for 10 false starts when he clearly moved early

Duds - lambeaulambo for not being fully convinced the bayers still blow chow

All in all, yikes that was a yamma hamma its fright night 1st game for the home team...get out the bags...

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All Studs

No Duds

We still own Chicago!

After being a sceptic, this game gives me hope about Love. Even when he fumbled, he was cool and connected with Musgrave. Good throws.

We really should get Jones involved all game through, not just when we need him desperately.

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Love, Jones, o line, D, basically whole team, Vikings choking at home lol
Duds: MLF 1st half but redeemed himself in 2nd
Stupid penalties that shift momentum
injuries

All in all a very enjoyable afternoon of football.

Reaction score
Chicago’s had 1 play of 20+ (23 yard pass)
Our D as a whole just frustrated Chicago.

Studs: DEFENSE
Everyone on our D front got involved with either a PD, TFL, INT, TD, Sack, QB hit or FF
It was general mayhem for Fields and the OL

Studs: #33
Aaron Jones carried our Offense. We needed someone to step up in the passing game and it was #33.

Studs: Special Teams
Carlson FG 1/1 XP 5/5 100%
Nixon KR 2 X 27.5 avg
(Opponent 21.0 avg)
Reed PR 3X 18.0 avg
(Opponent 8.0 avg)
Whelan Punts 5X 49.8 avg

Stud:

3TD Jordan
1-0

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the most complete games the Packers have played in a bunch of years.

Cheers to the whole organization. Those responsible for the talent, coaches, and players. It was a great start to the season. Especially after starting very poorly the last few.

Studs.
Jordan Love. Couple of poor throws in there, but mostly good to great passes. Great decisions. Just a bit out of sync that should tighten up in a few games. Very excited for his future.

Jones, hope he is okay.

Doubs was what we were hoping for.

Offensive line was stellar.

Defense was outstanding. Well done Barry! Loved all the pressure, but I understand their OL was a patchwork of mostly mediocre players.

Very pleased with Wyatt after not looking good in preseason, he was a terror. Slaton was just as disruptive, but no stats. He got great push on most plays. Clark was his old self and maybe a notch better.

Kicker and punter were amazing.

And one comment on Musgrave, a couple of rookie moments. If he keeps on that first route it's a long TD. The fumble play if he turns and runs its 10 more yards and a TD. His stat line could have been 120 yds and 2 TDs. He gets more comfortable and smooth out there he will be something special.

One dud. Officials. Guy gives Reed a forearm to the face and knocks his helmet off and it's not a penalty?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really a studs/duds post because I think it's hard to complain about much here, but a stud for me is Wyatt. So many people hated that pick and thought it was a waste. People need to realize it's rare for DL players to come in and dominate their first year. As a Georgia fan, I had no doubt he was going to be a strong contributor to this team. Excited to see him grow with LVN.

Not a Dud, but what is with Musgrave's feet? He's going to be such an elite weapon if he can get that figured out, but it was happening in college too. I'm sure he'll be alright. I wonder if they start getting Kraft involved in the passing game soon.

Speaking of Musgrave's big plays... I can't wait to see Watson on the field this year. I have a feeling he's absolutely going to eat.

Last but not least, what a steal we got with Doubs! Love this kid!

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: 2nd Half Jordan Love, Defense as a whole

Duds: Musgrave's balance, J Love in the 1st half (Thought I was watching Dilfer) and the DBs

Overall solid game, things to clean up. Glad it wasn't at Lambeau.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Love, Doubs, Jones (big-time), and the ST
Duds: JA kept getting boneheaded person fouls, and Musgrave (though it's early)

Bonus Duds: Any and all Bears fans that are all in on JF, I said it, and don't care about his running he will always be a **** passer in my eyes.

Reaction score
The only duds I really saw were Wicks (false start, holding, was 3 yards away from a Love 10 yard throw which tells me he’s just green) and Ford (missed 3 tackles that resulted in 1st Downs, unsportsmanlike)

Other than the crosser that Keisean gave up to Mooney on a perfectly placed ball for 7? Nixon was pure hustle on a variety of plays. Great NB.

Savage actually had a good game. He was involved in multiple short yardage stops.

Wyatt was all over disruptive. He had at least 5-6 plays that forced earlier throws and was involved in several nice stops including a major drive stopping TFL and a FF reviewed by us.

Our DL just made life hell for Chicago. The newscasters counted 16 QB pressures at the close of Qtr3. We gave a + improved DL from last season, it’s very noticeable. Gary isn’t even 100% and we’re better.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another Dud not mentioned yet: Watsons sunglasses.

Other than that, good week 1 - Love, OL, Doubs, Defense, ST, many Studs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some observations before my Studs and Duds:

- If Musgrave had just caught and made it to the end zone on that one, my parlay bet grabs me $113.00....love the kid but seriously!? LoL

- Our rookies were special...at some points in the game you saw Musgrave, Lukas Van Ness, Karl Brooks, Colby Wooden and Jayden Reed not just in but making big time plays. Collectively folks our rookies put together: 6 Tackles, 2 TFLs, 2 Sacks....5 receptions / 98 yards on 12 targets....Averaged 18 yards a return on punts, with one being a clutch 35 yarder.

- Whelan has a shotgun for a punting leg...he flips the field like this I don't think folks realize how valuable that is.

STUDS:

Aaron "big play" Jones
- 11 touches folks...11 touches turned into 127 total yards and two TDs. As he ages, I truly think MLF understands precisely how to best use him. Some would say feed him constantly, but I think Jones is at his best in limited but highly selective touches on some of you top play designs. Give and inch he will gash a mile - special player who hopefully just tweaked his hammy and will not miss anything or very little.

Jordan Love - In a game where the weight of the world was on his shoulders...pressure beyond what most will ever know - dude was chill and smart almost throughout. Chose his moments, didn't force things, even showcased his legs a few time and heart (that one play he lowered shoulder I smiled and grimmaced at the decision). One game doesn't lock in who or what he will be, but that my friends was a freaking SOLID start. VERY SOLID start.

Darnell Savage - I try to limit both to three max, so I'll give the third stud to maybe not the third best on the day, but oh my word how much did Savage need to come out and deliver and he for sure looked more like the Savage we have always hoped we had, but never had. Savage stacks days like this that 5th year option won't taste as bad. Led the team in tackles and chipped in a TFL even.

DUDS:

Wicks
- typical first rookie game jitters got him...penalty, missed block - learning lesson.

Jonathan Ford (Rudy)
- He was flying around uncontrollable at times, it's part of what makes him special some times and other times get flat lined.

Don't have a third one honestly.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: 2nd Half Jordan Love, Defense as a whole

Duds: Musgrave's balance, J Love in the 1st half (Thought I was watching Dilfer) and the DBs

Overall solid game, things to clean up. Glad it wasn't at Lambeau.
Agree. Good to have a full house of Bear fans witness the 3rd coming of future futility. I hope plenty of Vikings fans were watching too.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - Jones, pass protection, Love, Defense, All Special Teams

Duds - Penalties, injuries, Ford, first half passing on 1 st down.
ST is such a pleasant surprise after so many years. I mean we were horrific for several seasons.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some observations before my Studs and Duds:

- If Musgrave had just caught and made it to the end zone on that one, my parlay bet grabs me $113.00....love the kid but seriously!? LoL

- Our rookies were special...at some points in the game you saw Musgrave, Lukas Van Ness, Karl Brooks, Colby Wooden and Jayden Reed not just in but making big time plays. Collectively folks our rookies put together: 6 Tackles, 2 TFLs, 2 Sacks....5 receptions / 98 yards on 12 targets....Averaged 18 yards a return on punts, with one being a clutch 35 yarder.

- Whelan has a shotgun for a punting leg...he flips the field like this I don't think folks realize how valuable that is.

STUDS:

Aaron "big play" Jones
- 11 touches folks...11 touches turned into 127 total yards and two TDs. As he ages, I truly think MLF understands precisely how to best use him. Some would say feed him constantly, but I think Jones is at his best in limited but highly selective touches on some of you top play designs. Give and inch he will gash a mile - special player who hopefully just tweaked his hammy and will not miss anything or very little.

Jordan Love - In a game where the weight of the world was on his shoulders...pressure beyond what most will ever know - dude was chill and smart almost throughout. Chose his moments, didn't force things, even showcased his legs a few time and heart (that one play he lowered shoulder I smiled and grimmaced at the decision). One game doesn't lock in who or what he will be, but that my friends was a freaking SOLID start. VERY SOLID start.

Darnell Savage - I try to limit both to three max, so I'll give the third stud to maybe not the third best on the day, but oh my word how much did Savage need to come out and deliver and he for sure looked more like the Savage we have always hoped we had, but never had. Savage stacks days like this that 5th year option won't taste as bad. Led the team in tackles and chipped in a TFL even.

DUDS:

Wicks
- typical first rookie game jitters got him...penalty, missed block - learning lesson.

Jonathan Ford (Rudy) - He was flying around uncontrollable at times, it's part of what makes him special some times and other times get flat lined.

Don't have a third one honestly.
The most important thing Musgrave did was catch the ball. He did not have to score. Without that maybe we punt again.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Busy Monday, so I'm just going to throw out some random thoughts:

-Week one will lie to you more than any other. I am confident that Love is good, but this offense is going to have its ups and its downs.

-Hopefully the defense has genuinely turned a corner and will be a consistent weapon to help win games. The pressure was remarkable and they used their corners in much more logical ways than early last season.

-Love's composure is remarkable. His accuracy is a little bit inconsistent. Sometimes, his ball placement is perfect (e.g. Doubs' fade TD, Jones angle route TD). Other times, the ball isn't placed to allow the receiver to make a play after the catch (e.g. Doubs having to turn all the way around to catch that screen).

-I think we saw some facets of the offensive design that weren't present under Rodgers, especially being under-center, using motion, targeting the middle of the field. As I have maintained for a long time-- Rodgers' unwillingness to embrace the offense hurt the team.

-It's pretty obvious why the Packers were in on Jonathan Taylor. Dillon looked as sluggish as I've ever seen him. His ability to break the first tackle doesn't mean much if he's only gaining another half yard before the next tackler arrives. I would not mind seeing some of the younger backs get more work in relief of Jones.

-This offensive line was not playing a good defensive front, but they have the potential to be a top 5 unit this season. Josh Myers has not improved, however. The protection was amazing to me. I will be interested to see how Love handles a muddy pocket.

-The Packers scored with the Doubs pick; his stock was deflated by an injury, but he's clearly a much better talent than what one normally finds in round 4. Reed and Love have some great chemistry. It will be awesome to get Watson back in the mix, both for the sake of his own production and because of what he will open for others.

-As on offense, the defensive front was not playing a good OL, but given that they did exactly what you want to see: they dominated. Gary looks to be all the way back. Clark looked like himself. Slaton has clearly taken a step forward. Wyatt reassured those who wondered about him in preseason.

-The unblocked sacks of Fields by Wyatt and LVN were not gimme plays. It was their unique explosion and, in LVN's case, COD that allowed them to get Fields down.

-I thought the linebackers looked a little lackadaisical in pursuit at times; not the urgency that I wanted to see from them.

-From what I could tell at first blush, Alexander and Douglas were allowed to play a lot more man than last year.

-We saw the good and the bad from Nixon. Blowing through Claypool's block and making a TFL was awesome. Getting caught totally flat footed with a receiver behind him was not. I would imagine that better passers will take fuller advantage of him and the safeties.

-I loved how chippy it was and I loved the energy overall. Jaire baiting D.J. Moore into a penalty was amazing. I really have to wonder if the young players feel free and fired up without Rodgers on the team anymore.

-Go Bills.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: 31 pts on offense, without their top wr.
7 pts scored on defense, lots of pressure..all while using their best pass rusher sparingly.
Excellent special teams!

Dud: Allowing 20 pts to the worst team in the NFL

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Stud: 31 pts on offense, without their top wr.
7 pts scored on defense, lots of pressure..all while using their best pass rusher sparingly.
Excellent special teams!

Dud: Allowing 20 pts to the worst team in the NFL

6 points in garbage time— only 14 points allowed and one TD when the game was actually competitive. On the road, that’s a great showing.

Members online

Latest posts