Week 3 almost bungled it studs and duds

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not, he's been sacked more before or at least also 6 times before in a game

Like I said in another thread...They need to design more plays with Rodgers rolling out. I thought he stayed in the pocket way too long before making his move.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of things.

- The Packers have a little problem snapping back from adversity. They were moving the ball for what should have been a score, either tying the game or closing the gap to 4 points, when the pick 6 occurred. Like the pick call against Atlanta toward the end of the first half, there was a possible 10 to 14 point swing on that play. After the pick 6, it was 13 plays for 8 yards and 3 punts. Fortunately, the defense started getting it together forcing two punts in that possession sequence keeping it a two score game. This is not some fatal flaw, as the second half illustrated.

- The defense made solid adjustments in the second half, chiefly playing more zone. I cannot adequately express my frustration in watching these Capers defenses in man coverage against teams playing a ball control passing game. The short-to-intermediate middle presents a shooting-fish-in-a-barrel opportunity. It's all over the tape: stack receivers, run the short cross or semi-pick, and guys get discombobulated. Or just run a slant or skinny post when the corner has outside technique...nobody's there. The issue is compounded by the fact, I am sad to repeat, that we have two safeties (or three including Brice) who are in the strong safety mold. We just don't have a guy on the back end who can anticipate the underneath throw once in a while, break it up, and give the opponent something to think about. And I fail to understand how, in a 4 man rush, dropping 7 in man, there's no Mike playing middle zone. Where is everybody?

- The Bengals pass rush was looking a little gassed in the fourth quarter. Then on the fateful overtime throw, they quit on the rush with the flag. I'll never understand that, but I'll take it.
I think we’re always going to have this problem at the back end of the defense until we get a true ball-hawking free safety in there. The only guy I’ve seen who remotely resembles such a player is Randall.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Almost every single team defers. Get used to it.

LOL....I prefer to be a rebel ;)

Funny thing is, prior to 2008, when the team winning the toss wasn't given an option to defer and then receive the 2nd half kickoff, those winning the toss (receiving opening kickoff) won 51.2% of the time from 2000-2007 (only stats I could find).

Ever since the rule change, its seems more and more teams who win the toss defer and if nothing else, think it is some kind of psychological advantage. Also, there is that hope they get the psychological edge of scoring to end the first half and then receiving the 2nd half kick to "flip possessions" in their favor. Not sure how often that happens.

Sticking to my guns though. Thursday night, I would love to see the Packers take the opening kick (whether they win or lose the toss) and just ram it down the Bear's throat for an opening score, fire up the crowd and the Packers defense and not let the foot off the gas until the end of the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think we'll ever see them take a kick off, unless it's deferred to them. everyone likes to control a situation. however they can gain that control, they're going to try and use it to their advantage. It doesn't mean it always works, or even sometimes works, but it's how they operate. As a game progresses, coaches feel like they have more information to make decisions. Sure taking the first kickoff means you can hit the team with everything right out of the gate. But when you script your first couple handfuls of plays just to see how teams are playing you, their natural inclination is to prefer the ball in the 2nd half and apply those adjustments. I'm sure he also feels that he can use his TO's more effectively and gameplan or control the situation more to end a half knowing he's getting the ball first to start the next. It probably factors in their approach to challenges and everything else.

at the end of the day, all they have to do is score on offense and stop the other team from scoring on defense. neither way is better if they can't do that and if they can do that, then neither way matters :)

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Marwin Evans was definitely a dud out there, lots of the yards in the first half came with him right behind the defender, although what can you expect from a UDFA.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This was a character win.
There are some things we can point to and say good or bad, but really for me it's impossible to get a handle on this team yet, at least until they get(if) healthy. We've hardly had either one of our OT's on the field, and not even one snap together this season.
I'm gonna play wait and see.
Me too. We’re 2-1 which I pretty much expected. We’ve had a lot of backups getting a lot of snaps early in the season which hopefully will help us down the road. Very pleased so far with the contributions of guys like Clark, Jones, Allison, Kendrick and Martinez.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a fun game to be at although it was super hot the crowd was what got the bengals at the beginning of overtime it was loud! And made a difference. Was anyone else at the game?? Talk about a nail biter and Josh jones man he balled yesterday let's see that continue

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually......I think it was Rollins who recovered the fumble ;). Had Janis, who had a shot at the recovery, been the one who recovered it cleanly, there may have been time left on the clock, which would have allowed the Packers time to attempt a FG.

Again, not pointing fingers at Janis per say. But the guy is on the roster strictly to play special teams, this is very obvious, since he has gotten very few snaps on offenses, despite injuries. I want to start seeing that special-special teamer, not JAG Janis.
I had to go back and watch that punt..... The announcer clearly gave Janis credit for the recovery, but I think you are correct that Rollins ended up with the ball. However, both Janis and Rollins were there immediately. It appears that Janis was doing his job well at least on that play. I agree with you that Janis will never be one of the teams go to WRs, but it's not unusual for a team to have a player on the special teams unit just because he is a solid player in that role. He does not need to be an all pro lol. Frankly, we don't want our best players out there taking the abuse. And in a pinch, Janis has shown that he can step in and make a play or two at WR... I don't think he needs to be more than that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I had to go back and watch that punt..... The announcer clearly gave Janis credit for the recovery, but I think you are correct that Rollins ended up with the ball. However, both Janis and Rollins were there immediately. It appears that Janis was doing his job well at least on that play. I agree with you that Janis will never be one of the teams go to WRs, but it's not unusual for a team to have a player on the special teams unit just because he is a solid player in that role. He does not need to be an all pro lol. Frankly, we don't want our best players out there taking the abuse. And in a pinch, Janis has shown that he can step in and make a play or two at WR... I don't think he needs to be more than that.

Rollins was credited with the recovery, but yeah, Janis was there. ;)

Like I said, I am fine with Janis taking a roster spot, if he earns it on special teams, I just haven't seen him do anything that special yet. All the talk about him potentially finally getting his act together as a WR seems to be in vain, despite injuries and Allison's suspension, JJ has seen 4 snaps on offense. Still would have preferred McCaffrey, who is now with the Jags, they signed him off the Saints PS.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins was credited with the recovery, but yeah, Janis was there. ;)

Like I said, I am fine with Janis taking a roster spot, if he earns it on special teams, I just haven't seen him do anything that special yet. All the talk about him potentially finally getting his act together as a WR seems to be in vain, despite injuries and Allison's suspension, JJ has seen 4 snaps on offense. Still would have preferred McCaffrey, who is now with the Jags, they signed him off the Saints PS.
Totally agree about Mcaffrey

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Studs:
  • Depth: I said before the game that I thought this contest would show off that the Packers are a deeper team than they're given credit for. I think that partially vindicated on the field. Allison had a big game in for Cobb, the backup TE was making big plays, Brooks was strong in replacement of Perry, and Jones was a revelation in for Wally Pipp Kentrell Brice, and Martinez was excellent for much of the game which meant we didn't really feel the loss of Ryan. I didn't watch the DL closely enough to be able to speak to those guys, and clearly Murphy was not making my claims look good in his outing. But on the whole, I loved how many guys stepped up and made plays.

Duds:
  • Kevin King had a rough day in the office... which will happen when you're a rookie facing A.J. Green. But boy, if we can get him and Jones right at the same time they could make quite an impact.
  • Protection: Murphy was in over his head, Bulaga was not ready to be back and needed a lot of help, and I would have to rewatch to see what was going on with the interior, but it wasn't pretty either. They need Bakh back in a bad way.
  • HHCD: What's up Hasean?

On the whole, this team is going to need to round into form and get healthy if they want to compete in the playoffs, but it was nice to get a win while down so many important players. Hopefully they get a guy or two back by Thursday.

Last note: Not a "stud," but Randall made a play or two. It seems to me that his best home would be in a role similar to Hyde's from last season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we’re always going to have this problem at the back end of the defense until we get a true ball-hawking free safety in there. The only guy I’ve seen who remotely resembles such a player is Randall.

Well, a few decent pass rushers in the front seven would help too. Having to scheme pressure leaves holes in the defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
3 games and 0 interceptions for the Packer defense, while Rodgers has thrown an unprecedented 3 picks. The Packers are a -2 in the turnover department, an area that they are going to need to improve on to beat the better teams.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, I've been saying that's Randall's natural position since he was drafted. Too late now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't recall Randall ever being a center field type FS in college. Why are we so sure that's his natural position?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another Dud not mentioned yet.....#21 Ha Ha. How many missed tackles did he have in the first half?

This defense is going to need to start forcing some turnovers to beat the better teams and when your coverage guys aren't even close to the ball, you aren't going to get many interceptions.
Ha Ha looks to be living off his pro bowl selection, kind of on cruise control. I see no passion. Love Josh Jones passion for the game.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone remind me what Jeff Janis does? Didn't see him once on offense, missed a tackle on a return, fortunately the returner had stepped out of bounds. When do we see his improved WR play? When we are down to 3 healthy WR's?

I think TT really tried to replace him this year by drafting Yancy and Dupree. When they couldn't outplay him on STs they were cut and he made the team.

H

HardRightEdge

I am glad A-rod finally got that monkey, I mean Bengal off his back, this was a good game but I don’t think our backup can take us all the way if Arod is hit like this, I don’t have it in front of me can somebody tell me if this is the most Rodgers has been sacked in a game?
The 0-7 in OT games was the bigger monkey though I'm not sure in how many of those Rodgers never touched the ball. I do recall one in particular, Wilson dropping that ball on a dime to Kearse in the infamous 200 yds. and 3 TDs in 5 minutes game, the worst stretch of defensive football I can recall.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....I prefer to be a rebel ;)

Funny thing is, prior to 2008, when the team winning the toss wasn't given an option to defer and then receive the 2nd half kickoff, those winning the toss (receiving opening kickoff) won 51.2% of the time from 2000-2007 (only stats I could find).

Ever since the rule change, its seems more and more teams who win the toss defer and if nothing else, think it is some kind of psychological advantage. Also, there is that hope they get the psychological edge of scoring to end the first half and then receiving the 2nd half kick to "flip possessions" in their favor. Not sure how often that happens.

Sticking to my guns though. Thursday night, I would love to see the Packers take the opening kick (whether they win or lose the toss) and just ram it down the Bear's throat for an opening score, fire up the crowd and the Packers defense and not let the foot off the gas until the end of the game.

I would think the opponent would dictate the decision to some degree. If they have a weak defense and you think you can score or you think it may be a shootout take the ball and try to be score first. Put the pressure on their offense to keep up. If their offense is a bit suspect go on defense first and try to get the first three and out or better yet a TO. It does seem to be such an automatic thing nowadays and I don't really think it should be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT really tried to replace him this year by drafting Yancy and Dupree. When they couldn't outplay him on STs they were cut and he made the team.
They couldn't outplay him as a receiver either. At least Boykin made plays when he got a chance. Those guys did nothing

H

HardRightEdge

Ha Ha looks to be living off his pro bowl selection, kind of on cruise control. I see no passion. Love Josh Jones passion for the game.
When up in the box he shows his usual enthusiasm for getting after the play. But man, he sure looks like he's shying away from contact when playing at the back end.

I never considered him more than an adequate free safety, much better in the box. The Pro Bowl nod was on the strength of the 5 interceptions, at least two of which were airmailed right at him. I have a hard time believing there were not safeties who had better years. To his credit, he doesn't let any balls go over head, which is Job #1, but that's only Job #1. A Pro Bowl safety should do more than that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't recall Randall ever being a center field type FS in college. Why are we so sure that's his natural position?
I think he has better ball skills than anybody else we have in the defensive backfield.