Studs and duds KC

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My issue with Collinsworth is he had a much bigger issue with the DPI (which is 100% was on MVS) than he had with the egregious Mahomes play which gave fifteen additional yards on a stopped clock.....didn't even realize that the down by contact play SHOULD have had a ten second clock runoff because in play per rule....and the forward progress sideline call where clock should have been running....

It took THREE blown calls by the refs to even have the MVS and the hail mary play happen...two of which have ZERO excuse (Mahomes and 10 second run off) with the forward progress being the only one I can maybe understand.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My issue with Collinsworth is he had a much bigger issue with the DPI (which is 100% was on MVS) than he had with the egregious Mahomes play which gave fifteen additional yards on a stopped clock.....didn't even realize that the down by contact play SHOULD have had a ten second clock runoff because in play per rule....and the forward progress sideline call where clock should have been running....

It took THREE blown calls by the refs to even have the MVS and the hail mary play happen...two of which have ZERO excuse (Mahomes and 10 second run off) with the forward progress being the only one I can maybe understand.
It was not easy to know that he was still inbounds. I think that was why he did not make a big deal out of it. It was not as obvious as the PI. Nor was it as important. Just a fiasco of a final drive.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was not easy to know that he was still inbounds. I think that was why he did not make a big deal out of it. It was not as obvious as the PI. Nor was it as important. Just a fiasco of a final drive.

Disagree on the importance. When seconds matter on a final drive all of that matters...both the failure to ten second run off and the forward progress call together easily gave the Chiefs twenty free seconds + the free fifteen yards on the Mahomes hit.

I agree that the call itself on the forward progress was the easiest to digest and understand...to me it is on par with the hail mary PI, lot of side out plays and PIs on hail marys happen.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The forward progress call was the most egregious call on that drive. That was the line judge not knowing or applying the rule. The referee should overruled her and kept the clock running. The other calls were judgement calls on bang-bang
plays, but blowing a call because the line judge didn't know the rule is unacceptable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The forward progress call was the most egregious call on that drive. That was the line judge not knowing or applying the rule. The referee should overruled her and kept the clock running. The other calls were judgement calls on bang-bang
plays, but blowing a call because the line judge didn't know the rule is unacceptable.

To be fair the ten second run off after the review overturned the fumble is egregious in that they had the whole replay to know and discuss what happens...okay down by contact no fumble, what was the time on the clock, apply the ten second run off...

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall when Rodgers Hail Mary to Janis was caught he tried to almost say the ball came out but relented to say that Jeff had it just long enough. It really was never in doubt.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[Where the officials did get it right was in the timing following the Rashee Rice fumble, Isiah Pacheco ejection and officiating review sandwiched between the other two controversial plays.
Allen reset the clock to 50 seconds – the time of the tackle on Rice – but there was not a 10-second runoff.
“It’s interesting. It’s a good question and it came up,” Blandino said. “Normally, had there not been a foul during the play, there would be a runoff. But because there was a flag during the play, the clock would have stopped, anyway.”
The clock wasn’t put into motion pre-snap, either, so the Chiefs got to treat a tackle-inbounds play as if the tackle were out of bounds. Again, that was officiated correctly.
“By rule in the last 5 minutes of the fourth quarter after a penalty, the clock starts on the snap. It’s just an unusual situation,” Blandino said.]
Is it right to feel some sort of vindication for being right even though I wasn't right about the part that I thought I was right about?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What irked me on this is the official "RIGHT THERE" was not the one to throw the flag but the back judge. Most likely the same one that gave us the missed DPI call to make up for it.

Reaction score
Repeatedly, you can see offensive linemen hold right in the face of officials, and it springs ball carriers, or prevents sacks. On the next play, they'll call a questionable hold on someone who is on the complete opposite side of where the play is going, and has no bearing on the outcome.
Oh my gosh that’s so true

Reaction score
What irked me on this is the official "RIGHT THERE" was not the one to throw the flag but the back judge. Most likely the same one that gave us the missed DPI call to make up for it.
I often wonder about that. If you make a questionable call as a referee and realize it wasn’t the best call or series of calls. Do you maybe look for another opposite call to balance that? I only mention that because I swear I’ve seen that unfold.
If I was a Ref and goofed on a flag or two id probably try to even it up. :coffee:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The perfect kick, IMHO, is high and lands around the 15. The extra hang time and shorter distance is enough to have a couple of tacklers ready to hit the returner or grab a muff. I'm thinking you will an average starting field position around the 20. 5 better than the normal touchback.
Sure, but we have to hope the return doesn't get out of hand. How many times have we seen that happen? To many, IMO.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, but we have to hope the return doesn't get out of hand. How many times have we seen that happen? To many, IMO.
On a kick like that, the receiver will usually make a fair catch because of the coverage. They'd get the ball on the 25. No difference than it bouncing through the end zone. The only caveat is that the fair catch has to be made inside the 25. But that makes sense, doesn't it? If it was outside the 25, that's where it would be placed.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any kicking strategy is rendered completely moot by the fact that any fair catch gets your team the ball at at least the 25.

Just kick the crap out of it and make sure it stays in bounds. There is literally no reason anymore to do anything else, beyond obvious onside/squib situations.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Any kicking strategy is rendered completely moot by the fact that any fair catch gets your team the ball at at least the 25.

Just kick the crap out of it and make sure it stays in bounds. There is literally no reason anymore to do anything else, beyond obvious onside/squib situations.
Cowboys kicker does that. Out of 81 KOs they have had 3 returned. Meanwhile Bisaccio must have a different mindset as 24 of Carlsons 57 KOs have been returned for 557 yards.

ETA: Take out the mandatory 1 kick per game and the Packers have scored 45 times while Dallas has scored 69 times.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If all 24 go in the end zone and get put at the 25 it comes to 600 yards from the goal lines. Probably very equivalent to the 557 caught farther out.

Reaction score

Yeah like if there’s 4 seconds left in regulation and you have a 4+ point lead might want to just onside kick keeping 1 Safety back and 1 Safety opposite side of the field (to thwart a lateral attempt) and smother it with 9 players immediately.

If you’ve got Devin Hester out there you might kick it through the uprights if possible. I like our chances on ST as it’s pretty regular we catch the Receiving team napping between the 15-24 area. It can actually be dangerous for a returner if we create a fumble down there it’s points. Ty Montgomery is a good example

Last edited: