2023 week 14 played like pigs: studs and duds

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - Enagbare's incredible strip sack. Best individual defensive play I've seen this year. Jones running. Wicks. Kraft. Early offensive line run blocking was terrific.

Duds - Coaches all around. LaFleur not running anything outside to get Britt moving sideline to sideline. I can't believe how badly out-coached we looked in the 2nd half. Letting Mayfield stand in the middle of the pocket untouched most of the 2nd half. No one on this team can apply pressure or collapse middle of pocket? Wth???

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. However I think Gutey is darn good at talent evaluation. We now know he wasn’t crazy with his most prominent selection… Jordan Love.

He’s done much better than an average GM bringing talent in, especially through trades, Free Agency, Waiver wire etc

Although we need to go back to the Well ready and use FA on a moderate level Veterans. Go grab 2 veteran player upgrades at minimum.
We all should be pleased with the WRs Gute has found the past couple of drafts too.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vote for improved defense. We've had the opposite of that during the Rodgers era with many GB teams capable of putting up 35-40 points a game and they often did. During all those years we got one SB way back in 2011and then its been a dry spell since.
I feel Love has a lot of potential. If he continues to grow and improve he could be a good one.
When Rodgers took over QB duties full time his first year he had guys to throw to like Donald driver a 9 yr veteran and Greg Jennings a 3 yr guy.
Love is starting out with guys with much less experience.
Rodgers first year stats were
Yds-4038, TD-28, INT-13, Comp % 63.6.
Currently Love is
Yds-3368, TD-25, INT-11, Comp% 62.6.
Right now Love is capable of getting us 20-30 pts a game.
We need a DEFENSE!!!!!..please
I agree. DEFENSE wins championships. Many a time when we would put up a lot of points and still lost Rodgers would say that as an offense we left a lot of points out there. And when we opened the 2019 season with a 10-3 win over the Bears he was thrilled because he had not seen defense like that in GB in a LONG time. Like 9 years.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - Enagbare's incredible strip sack. Best individual defensive play I've seen this year. Jones running. Wicks. Kraft. Early offensive line run blocking was terrific.

Duds - Coaches all around. LaFleur not running anything outside to get Britt moving sideline to sideline. I can't believe how badly out-coached we looked in the 2nd half. Letting Mayfield stand in the middle of the pocket untouched most of the 2nd half. No one on this team can apply pressure or collapse middle of pocket? Wth???
For many years when we faced defenses like that QBs such as Rodgers, Favre, and even going back to Bart Starr would exploit that. And the opposition would just shake their head. It is definitely both a scheming blunder and coverage confusion. Corners must cover and safeties must be the QB of the defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. .. ain't that the truth. I've got a red hot poker up my butt about THIS loss. ...and I'm now leaning toward "indifferent" on this team. :mad: That my friends is a rarity - my wife even noticed it and she doesn't know a goal line from a clothes line.
When our kicker makes an extra point mine acts like we just won in sudden death OT. When Carolina kicked the game winner for the 9-7 victory the players and fans were as thrilled as if they got the Lombardi trophy.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The easy way out is to not renew his contract. That may be exactly what happens.
Let's hope so..Lafleur is pretty adamant that it's players..not joes garbage defense. Could be just smoke, why pay joe for the rest of the season to be unemployed. Maybe it's a revenge plot..you embarrassed me, I'm going to act like your good..then not resign him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special I would say he isnt

You said ordinary...big difference

Hurts? What was his play like his 1st 2 years? Hint..worse than Love
If he is not “special” and not “bad” or below average … then “ordinary” would be a very appropriate word…

Reaction score
Yeah. .. ain't that the truth. I've got a red hot poker up my butt about THIS loss. ...and I'm now leaning toward "indifferent" on this team. :mad: That my friends is a rarity - my wife even noticed it and she doesn't know a goal line from a clothes line.
Keep your chin up. In the short term things look dismal. However we’ve got some changes coming. This year was expected to be a major step back the moment Rodgers was traded. However I see these positives on the near horizon.

1. Defensive changes are coming. Along with a new staff comes a renewed focus on making sure that hire makes improvements. The best way to do that is apply resources to that area. I fully expect a good FA veteran to be added. I also wouldn’t doubt if we see a top 10 area Defensive player drafted, or 2-3 guys in Day 2.

2. Defensive youth gained experience. Lukas Van Ness, Karl Brooks, Colby Wooden, Corey Valentine, Anthony Johnson all gained valuable experience. You’d fully expect 1 or 2 of that group to rise a little earlier than the traditional 3rd season due to being ramped up faster.

3. A fresh look
A new DC would bring a renewed sense of inspiration to put the past behind us. We know what we’ve got, it would be unlikely to get worse imo. As the Offense matures, it will also inspire the D to partake in their success. Also going +1 or +2 in the CB with Stokes and Alexander is a big deal. We’ve played with our bench most of this year. We won’t be anywhere close to that next season.

4. Drafting Earlier to Mid Rounds. We already can see how drafting at #13-#15 in each round pays dividends over our usual 26th or whatever. Also we have 5 draft picks in the first 90 players from college and 3 in the top 45-50 area. We have another 2 stabs in each Round3, Round 4. That’s 7 selections by close of the 4th rd. You can see what the 2023 draft produced. Double that and sprinkle and extra 3rd Rounder and go ahead and move up a spot or two each round. Last draft 2 spots backwards 2X got us Karl Brooks and Dontayvion Wicks. Don’t underestimate our draft power
Help is on the way.

5. Fiscal Maneuvering. Revisiting Contracts and Cutting dead weight = up Cap space and roster spot or three. I fully Expect us to spread a smidge of cap into 2025. That extra 5-10mil will cover resigning our incumbent lower level FA guys. With modest adjustments? We can play in $FA$ again. This is something we haven’t been able to under Rodgers straining contracts. Expect outside help and I’m talking an immediate weak link replaced with a Pro bowl alternate type player.

6. Last but not least

The youngest Offense in the Super Bowl era just played league average. It makes perfect sense that another 7-8 players in their 1st n 2nd seasons don’t all regress in year2 or year3. We are young on O. Maybe the youngest ever. Not 1 person to date has shown us evidence of a younger offense. The best argument to date was reach across decades of Rosters… an “expansion team”, even that argument failed once we put it in the lab table with a microscope. Those expansion teams each brought in several FA Veteran players and thus they still were not the ‘23 Packers youth movement. Historically young is not an insult. It’s a MAJOR compliment and I’d expect a major growth pop over the 2024-2025 seasons.
Keep an eye on Musgrave, I think he cracks 1000+ inside his Junior NFL season or before. He’s only got his feet wet. We also won’t stay stagnant. FULLY expect a KEY addition on OL that is noticeably better. Also I fully expect we pipeline 1-2 more O Weapons. I don’t believe we’re done adding O talent at WR or TE like some in here do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Defensive changes are coming. Along with a new staff comes a renewed focus on making sure that hire makes improvements. The best way to do that is apply resources to that area. I fully expect a good FA veteran to be added. I also wouldn’t doubt if we see a top 10 area Defensive player drafted, or 2-3 guys in Day 2.
3. A fresh look
A new DC would bring a renewed sense of inspiration to put the past behind us. We know what we’ve got, it would be unlikely to get worse imo. As the Offense matures, it will also inspire the D to partake in their success. Also going +1 or +2 in the CB with Stokes and Alexander is a big deal. We’ve played with our bench most of this year. We won’t be anywhere close to that next season.
Unfortunately I expect it to take half a season for the new defensive game plan to gel. This past season with a retooled offense would have been the time for that, not when the offense is on the runway. Otherwise expect a 2009 type season with an explosive offense and a sieve defense for half of it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I expect it to take half a season for the new defensive game plan to gel. This past season with a retooled offense would have been the time for that, not when the offense is on the runway. Otherwise expect a 2009 type season with an explosive offense and a sieve defense for half of it.
Unless we draft well and there is always a player or two in FA that can improve results.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may take time to jell but just not playing so far off on obvious passing downs and substituting some players so as not to have Preston and Campbell in coverage and watching speedsters would help right away. Can't really be much worse.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nuthin’ special about Mayfield. Special QB’s include Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert, Tagovailoa, C.J. Stroud and Brock Purdue.
Really?

How did he play last few weeks.

Dak is special? Hurts doesn't it

Speaking of hurts. How has he been?

I reallllllllllllly hope you reply

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Mayfield's the guy that put up that perfect passer rating at Lambeau Field last month, the only opposing QB to ever do it.
Mayfield looked pretty good yesterday. He also hit Evans on a couple long bombs that Evans just flat out dropped. He hit Otton on one right down the seam that he dropped for a big gainer too. It should have been a bigger blowout. Thems the breaks though.

Could it be that Mayfield is actually pretty good? 22-36, 337 yards passing, with 3 TDs. Could it be he is in the right place with several really good skill set players? Rachaad White ran hard. Otton had 8 catches and 89 yards. Godwin and Evans combined for 7 catches, 93 yards and a TD. I don't think I would want to face this team again gentlemen. Match that with their defense. They are a tough beat.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayfield looked pretty good yesterday. He also hit Evans on a couple long bombs that Evans just flat out dropped. He hit Otton on one right down the seam that he dropped for a big gainer too. It should have been a bigger blowout. Thems the breaks though.

Could it be that Mayfield is actually pretty good? 22-36, 337 yards passing, with 3 TDs. Could it be he is in the right place with several really good skill set players? Rachaad White ran hard. Otton had 8 catches and 89 yards. Godwin and Evans combined for 7 catches, 93 yards and a TD. I don't think I would want to face this team again gentlemen. Match that with their defense. They are a tough beat.
If the Packers can get past the Niners, I totally agree that the Buccaneers are a tougher foe than going back to Ford Field and beating the Lions. Evans and Godwin are really good and torch the Packers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Packers can get past the Niners, I totally agree that the Buccaneers are a tougher foe than going back to Ford Field and beating the Lions. Evans and Godwin are really good and torch the Packers.
I'm rooting for the Lions if we beat the 49ers. I want to complete the Superfecta.
Dallas, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit. It would drive all their fans crazy. I'd be spending more time on their fan boards than ours. :cool:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm rooting for the Lions if we beat the 49ers. I want to complete the Superfecta.
Dallas, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit. It would drive all their fans crazy. I'd be spending more time on their fan boards than ours. :cool:
If you want total bliss, go to Daily Norseman and read the fan blog during and after a Vikings loss! I know it's schadenfreude but I can't help myself.

Members online

Latest posts