Week 3 almost bungled it studs and duds

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's crazy to me that Morgan Burnett has to play line backer and Monty has to play RB. We have all these DBs on the field and still getting torched in the pass game.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another Dud not mentioned yet.....#21 Ha Ha. How many missed tackles did he have in the first half?

This defense is going to need to start forcing some turnovers to beat the better teams and when your coverage guys aren't even close to the ball, you aren't going to get many interceptions.
Haha better start playing before he get his spot took, Josh jones looking like a Gem

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
should we keep listing CM3 as a dud every week? I didn't bother including him because it's pretty much a given every week now. Dude is a complete non-factor.

Fwiw pff had him rated as a top 5 packer today. I agree though that the big impact plays have been missing from him. Sacks and takeaways

HD3924

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eye test man.....eye test. The handoffs and quick flips to Monty were not working today, the Bengal defense was prepared for that.....and as you pointed out, AR has other weapons....use them when #88 isn't doing much in a game.

Monty Stats:

12 carries: 35 yards
8 catches: 15 yards

I will let you do the math.
MC said once "it's the attempts, not the yards..." I certainly trust him, but the numbers speak out loud. At one point in the season the Pack will need a running game. For my part, I miss Eddy Lacy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Someone remind me what Jeff Janis does? Didn't see him once on offense, missed a tackle on a return, fortunately the returner had stepped out of bounds. When do we see his improved WR play? When we are down to 3 healthy WR's?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone remind me what Jeff Janis does? Didn't see him once on offense, missed a tackle on a return, fortunately the returner had stepped out of bounds. When do we see his improved WR play? When we are down to 3 healthy WR's?
well he did recover the fumble on the punt right before the half... unfortunately the clock expired. That isn't a big enough deal to make me mention it normally... but you did (curiously) bring it up lol.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of criticism for Bennett, and rightly so. Yet I also see people writing him off as a worse TE then Cook is. People cant seem to remember that Cook also got of to a slow start, if not slower? Im sure Marty will be fine and will give us similar production to what Cook gave us.

Studs: Kendricks, Lowry, Jones and Geronimo.
Duds: Marty, O-Line

Anyone else feels that we might have to get a top WR prospect next year, preferably in the first round? Nelson isn't the deep threat he once was since he only seems to get open in slot, really looks to have lost a step. Of course he can still be effective for us, but I really feel like we have seen him slowly regress throughout last year and will throughout this season. Plus I do not believe Adams has what it takes to be our leading perimeter receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
well he did recover the fumble on the punt right before the half... unfortunately the clock expired. That isn't a big enough deal to make me mention it normally... but you did (curiously) bring it up lol.

actually......I think it was Rollins who recovered the fumble ;). Had Janis, who had a shot at the recovery, been the one who recovered it cleanly, there may have been time left on the clock, which would have allowed the Packers time to attempt a FG.

Again, not pointing fingers at Janis per say. But the guy is on the roster strictly to play special teams, this is very obvious, since he has gotten very few snaps on offenses, despite injuries. I want to start seeing that special-special teamer, not JAG Janis.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a character win.
There are some things we can point to and say good or bad, but really for me it's impossible to get a handle on this team yet, at least until they get(if) healthy. We've hardly had either one of our OT's on the field, and not even one snap together this season.
I'm gonna play wait and see.

H

HardRightEdge

Duds WTF was that first half about?
A couple of things.

- The Packers have a little problem snapping back from adversity. They were moving the ball for what should have been a score, either tying the game or closing the gap to 4 points, when the pick 6 occurred. Like the pick call against Atlanta toward the end of the first half, there was a possible 10 to 14 point swing on that play. After the pick 6, it was 13 plays for 8 yards and 3 punts. Fortunately, the defense started getting it together forcing two punts in that possession sequence keeping it a two score game. This is not some fatal flaw, as the second half illustrated.

- The defense made solid adjustments in the second half, chiefly playing more zone. I cannot adequately express my frustration in watching these Capers defenses in man coverage against teams playing a ball control passing game. The short-to-intermediate middle presents a shooting-fish-in-a-barrel opportunity. It's all over the tape: stack receivers, run the short cross or semi-pick, and guys get discombobulated. Or just run a slant or skinny post when the corner has outside technique...nobody's there. The issue is compounded by the fact, I am sad to repeat, that we have two safeties (or three including Brice) who are in the strong safety mold. We just don't have a guy on the back end who can anticipate the underneath throw once in a while, break it up, and give the opponent something to think about. And I fail to understand how, in a 4 man rush, dropping 7 in man, there's no Mike playing middle zone. Where is everybody?

- The Bengals pass rush was looking a little gassed in the fourth quarter. Then on the fateful overtime throw, they quit on the rush with the flag. I'll never understand that, but I'll take it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
- The Bengals pass rush was looking a little gassed in the fourth quarter. Then on the fateful overtime throw, they quit on the rush with the flag. I'll never understand that, but I'll take it.
Good observations on the other things and I had to comment on this one. I say the same thing every time AR gets a "Free play"....it is like some of the defense "quits" on the play, which is probably why AR has so much success on them. I used to think, "opposing coaches are going to drive this into players heads "don't quit on AR" and we won't get such favorable results". However, for whatever reason, it keeps working, nature of man? Possibly the players who see AR more often, aren't as susceptible to quitting on the play. The thing you know AR is almost always going to do in this situation is go for the home run and yesterday, it was the difference in the game.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll go with one of the obvious studs, and one less obvious dud.

Stud: Obviously Jones. 2 sacks; 2 hits; I recall 2 tackles-for-loss on runs, ESPN shows 3 in the box score. 11 solo tackles. It was not an unblemished game. He blew one coverage in the first half, and maybe a second on that swing pass TD though that might have been on Martinez. His second half, though, was a think of beauty.

Dud: I think we have to acknowledge that Montgomery is a bad pass blocker, which presents a quandary since you want him out there on passing downs. So, Murphy's getting lit up all day, Montgomery is in to block, and he's standing around in the middle of the pocket looking for work, blocking nobody, and Rodgers is in the blind side rusher's sites. And please, when you're called upon to chip, please chip and not whiff.

Williams is a way better pass blocker. He's actually very good at it which is surprising for a rookie, and he's a decent receiver. I think he needs more snaps. Montgomery's late game runs looked pretty loggy, probably because he took nearly every snap. There was the one Williams run and maybe one or two 5-wides where he may have been sitting or maybe not; he might have been in the slot on those..

H

HardRightEdge

I'm going to give Capers a stud. He was down 5 players among his "starting 12" base/nickel groupings, including arguably the best players at their position groups in Daniels, Perry and House.

After the pick six, the D forced two punts on the Bengals last 2 possessions of the first half as the offense went into its shell. That was critical. The second half adjustments, chiefly in going more zone, were effective in a way we're not accustomed to. The short-to-intermediate middle and the flats, where the Bengals made a lot of hay in the first half, were covered well while not letting Julio Jones go off. A very impressive second half, actually, while being so short handed. I remain optimistic that this defense is going to progress to be being a quite decent unit. When more healthy, the pieces are there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pieces are there all over this team. It has to come together, and seeing it sputter at times is pretty frustrating. But the pieces are there. Offense and defense.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pieces are there all over this team. It has to come together, and seeing it sputter at times is pretty frustrating. But the pieces are there. Offense and defense.

The pieces are injured.........Cobb..Bakthiari...Bulaga...Perry....Daniels...etc.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is Rodgers cumulative QB rating for the first three games ? Low 90's I would guess. Probably leads the league in sacks !

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone please tell Adams stretching for an extra yard isn't worth the risk of a fumble.

H

HardRightEdge

What is Rodgers cumulative QB rating for the first three games ? Low 90's I would guess. Probably leads the league in sacks !
You know this stuff is easy to look up, right? Or were the questions rhetorical?

Rodgers passer rating is 93.1. The 3 picks have put a dent in it.

Rodgers is the most sacked QB in the league with 13. Alex Smith is #2 with 12.

The most interesting stat is Rodgers' 134 attempts, 17 more than Manning at #2. At this rate, Rodgers will throw the ball 715 times this season. I take this to be a function of intending to throw more with the signing of the 2 tight ends, but the key factors are 1) playing from behind and 2) a less than effective run game.

H

HardRightEdge

Someone please tell Adams stretching for an extra yard isn't worth the risk of a fumble.
How often do you see a fumble on these stretch attempts? Almost never. "Down on contact" is the way it goes. There was some chatter during the broadcast as to whether his elbow was down. That did not matter. He was being tackled. The ground cannot cause a fumble when contacted by a defender. The overrule was never in doubt. The only way you can get a fumble call on that play is if the ball carrier drops it during the stretch or somebody bats it out of his hand before he hits the ground. You just don't see that.

It's playmaker instinct. You don't try to dull that.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a game of two halves.

studs: nelson and bulaga playing hurt, rodgers coming through after the pick 6 and taking a beating, allison, kendricks, brooks, martinez, for their big moments. jones made some mistakes but made for them big time. some players had some bad moments but their game taken as a whole i would consider stud worthy: the whole offensive line pass blocking wise. dbs after a bad first half had a much better 2nd half. the defense in the 2nd half was pretty damn good. held them to 3 and didn't allow a 3rd down conversion.

there were some "meh" performances: bennett, montgomery, o-line run blocking wise. bennett asked to block a lot, monty got hurt on that tackle and wasn't the same after that.

duds: no one really.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can't remember who won the coin toss against the Seahags, but 2 weeks in a row now MM has won the toss and elected to put his Defense on the field first, watching both the Falcons and Bengals methodically drive the ball for opening TD's. Maybe time for Mike to rethink this strategy and get his offense out there first?

Reaction score
Studs: Josh Jones, Ahmad Brooks, Geronimo Allison. Blake Martinez and Crosby

Duds: ESPN. The sitting during the National Anthem disease has spread into Lambeau. I guess Ozzy peeing at the Alamo was a real trend setter.. next players will be doing pre-game animal ritual sacrifices and biting off the heads of pigeons or bats to show their martyrdom.

Last edited:

Latest posts