Game 3 - New Orleans - Studs and Duds

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome game! Best win in years!

Studs -Team Defense. Love's engineering of three 4th quarter scoring drives. Doubs, Gary, pass protection again.

Duds - penalties, penalties, penalties. Too many dumb penalties by guys that shouldn't be making dumb penalties. Coaching in the first half to include equipment manager and strength & conditioning staff. Love's accuracy. Rookie mistakes by almost all the rookies, especially Musgrave.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I keep saying it, but this front seven is set up to be low-key kind of scary! I've been wanting them to build a team capable of playing smash mouth football because it just fits the weather we play in. Finesse teams are cool in domes, but when the weather changes and you're playing outside in December and January, you need to punch your opponent in the mouth. Build in the trenches!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bunch of things to get fixed. Penalties, passing offense, and health. And we still won?

I think this current team will look pretty raw compared to what we become by the end of the season. Reciever experience and getting on the same page as Love is going to be a huge boost.

Studs
Gary - 3 sacks?!?!
Barry - defense played great. Holding any team to 10 pts is an achievement, and will win a lot of games.
Love - poise! Need to connect on those deep ones. But kept his cool and showed leadership when the chips are down. This maybe a signature career moment for him.

Duds
All them folks who left the game at the start of the 4th. Bwahahaha!!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Lafleur and the 2 pt conversion. Love, Doubs, Reed.
Dud: Dillon seems super underwhelming this year despite the opportunity with Jones out. Taylor and Wilson seem like they're just guys too.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My two easy studs would be Doubs and Gary, but I think maybe Rasul Douglas had a sneaky-great game - I kinda want to rewatch, but I think Carr and Winston almost never tested his coverage, and he had at least one excellent tackle and a pass breakup. I'm sure they were testing the scrubs for sure, but good on Douglas for nailing down what he could.

Reaction score
I was unable to watch this live
I got a hint from 37 texts that hit my phone that something special happened but I never read a one until after the game.

My gut told my we either Won Huge or Won a nail biter. With 12:00 left in 4th Qtr I began to doubt we’d win, except I didn’t factor #10.

Jordan Love wasn’t perfect. He
Underthrew at least 5-6 balls by 1/2 yard and overthrew a pair. Jordan left 4-5 catches and 2 TD’s out there against a “grade A” level Saints backfield. They played really, really good coverage. That said no one can stop #10 if he’s got great players around him. Not even 11 penalties or or INT or -17 in the 4th Qtr or 4 starters down. #10 is special and I don’t believe he’s not even warmed up yet. Imo we have our ourselves another future HOF QB.

Stud : Jordan Love

Defensively we bent but never broke. No Saints rusher averaged more than 3.9 per. Their Offense was largely manhandled by our pass rush to the tune of nearly losing their QB. The only reason they got 10 points on Offense was our poor discipline on several plays.

Stud : Rashan Gary

Idc how we Win as long as we grow together and get healthy as the year transpires. Nothing in life is perfect or easy, it’s about trusting in your teammates and never giving up. Best Game I’ve seen this year and that’s Colorado vs Colorado St included.

GPG!

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was unable to watch this live
I got a hint from 37 texts that hit my phone that something special happened but I never read a one until after the game.

My gut told my we either Won Huge or Won a nail biter. With 12:00 left in 4th Qtr I began to doubt we’d win, except I didn’t factor #10.

Jordan Love wasn’t perfect. He
Underthrew at least 5-6 balls by 1/2 yard and overthrew a pair. Jordan left 4-5 catches and 2 TD’s out there against a “grade A” level Saints backfield. They played really, really good coverage. That said no one can stop #10 if he’s got great players around him. Not even 11 penalties or or INT or -17 in the 4th Qtr or 4 starters down. #10 is special and I don’t believe he’s not even warmed up yet. Imo we have our ourselves another future HOF QB.

Stud : Jordan Love

Defensively we bent but never broke. No Saints rusher averaged more than 3.9 per. Their Offense was largely manhandled by our pass rush to the tune of nearly losing their QB. The only reason they got 10 points on Offense was our poor discipline on several plays.

Stud : Rashan Gary

Idc how we Win as long as we grow together and get healthy as the year transpires. Nothing in life is perfect or easy, it’s about trusting in your teammates and never giving up. Best Game I’ve seen this year and that’s Colorado vs Colorado St included.

GPG!
Lot of dropped balls in there as well

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Especially Musgrave? Specifics? I thought he had a pretty good game.
I counted 3 in about a 5 minute stretch midway through the first half.

One was a missed block, an alignment penalty, and then had a pass knocked away because he didn't come back to the ball. He makes some plays, but is not a clean player.

The problem of not coming back to the ball is shared by Toure, Reed and Wicks. It is resulting in too many incompletions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed they catch the ball close to the body which is when it gets knocked away. They need to (and will I hope) learn to extend out for the ball.
I doubt if this will get corrected before next year. It's going to put Love in a lot of difficult down and distance situations if LaFleur insists on passing more than running which yesterday he didn't have much choice late in the game. It's stuff like this that derailed first half drives. A huge credit to the offensive line though for performing very well in obvious passing situations. The dang false starts and misalignment penalties need to end though. It's bad enough that we're having to expose so many rookies and inexperienced 2nd year players to the number of snaps they are getting. The veterans need to be smarter and get their ***es on the field.

Edit: overall I'm very happy with what I'm seeing as much of these WR/TE problems are not a surprise to me. It takes a while for these guys to play well in the men's league. Kiddie ball is ancient history.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always I limit Studs/Duds to three a piece at most.

STUDS

Love
- Unflappable is quickly becoming the first word for him IMO. First home game ever, following legends, expected to win by some...to push through such clear issues and struggles and when it mattered absolutely deliver cannot be appreciated enough.

Gary - SIGN THIS MAN NOW. He is getting more expensive every snap that happens. I love this young man, he cares so so much to compete and be what his team needs. He cried when he heard he was cleared to just practice again...cried when he heard he was getting to play some.....cried yesterday when presented the game ball. Rashan Gary is everything I want in a teammate and like MLF said, "there isn't a man in that locker room that wouldn't go to war with that man."

Joe Barry - Held the Saints offense to 10 points (the punt return excluded). That is not something I'm going to just overlook....especially when the Saints offense for nearly the entire game and even with Jameis in looked better than us.

DUDS

Tackling
...just not at all happy with yet again missed tackles being an issue at times.

Penalties...dear lord they stole the first half from us essentially.

Run Blocking...this line is excellent in pass-pro but dang we suck at run blocking.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many studs and duds to list here a tale of two games. Obviously Love and his leadership, but I'm also going to give props to Barry and the defense. Some glitches but overall very solid effort against a talented offense.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud

Gary
Doubs
4th Quarter

Dud

First 3 Quarters

Doubs stands out in particular, stepping up in the absence of Watson and Jones. He looks like a seasoned veteran and a stud, making remarkable catches at the most crucial moments. His strong hands, confidence, and leadership really stand out.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As always I limit Studs/Duds to three a piece at most.

STUDS

Love
- Unflappable is quickly becoming the first word for him IMO. First home game ever, following legends, expected to win by some...to push through such clear issues and struggles and when it mattered absolutely deliver cannot be appreciated enough.

Gary - SIGN THIS MAN NOW. He is getting more expensive every snap that happens. I love this young man, he cares so so much to compete and be what his team needs. He cried when he heard he was cleared to just practice again...cried when he heard he was getting to play some.....cried yesterday when presented the game ball. Rashan Gary is everything I want in a teammate and like MLF said, "there isn't a man in that locker room that wouldn't go to war with that man."

Joe Barry - Held the Saints offense to 10 points (the punt return excluded). That is not something I'm going to just overlook....especially when the Saints offense for nearly the entire game and even with Jameis in looked better than us.

DUDS

Tackling
...just not at all happy with yet again missed tackles being an issue at times.

Penalties...dear lord they stole the first half from us essentially.

Run Blocking...this line is excellent in pass-pro but dang we suck at run blocking.
The only thing here that I can take issue with is that I never thought that the Saints offense looked better than ours. Carr is very vulnerable physically and Imo will never be above average at best without an elite offensive line. I don't think he has a very good feel for the game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing here that I can take issue with is that I never thought that the Saints offense looked better than ours. Carr is very vulnerable physically and Imo will never be above average at best without an elite offensive line. I don't think he has a very good feel for the game.

Yesterday I felt their offense looked more fluid, natural and efficient. With Kamara out their offense is for sure not as potent or potentially potent as ours I agree.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite all the growing pains with so much youth and new parts trying to jell together, in retrospect I've got to be pretty happy so far, especially when you consider we were missing five All pro caliber players

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite all the growing pains with so much youth and new parts trying to jell together, in retrospect I've got to be pretty happy so far, especially when you consider we were missing five All pro caliber players

To be fair we weren't missing 5 all pro guys.

Jaire has only ever made the second team twice.
David Bakhtiari has made first team twice and 3x second team.
Elgton Jenkins has never made any level of all-pro team.
Aaron Jones has never made either as well.
Christian Watson of course hasn't.

For sure missing 3 of possibly our best offensive guys and a weapon that is physically a special specimen is a MASSIVE injury list offensively.

*Just noticed you said "all pro caliber players" not just all pro players. I'll leave my comment for those curious of historical record of those guys though, but not really any correction of a claim as you didn't claim they were. Apologies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wanted to give a shout for Patrick Taylor. He did a great job of making a couple of sideline catches that were very important on one of the TD drives.
The only dud for me was allowing them to drive for a field goal at the end. Normally not a tough shot. But there was still time even w/o taking a time out when the saints had the ball that could have saved 40 seconds.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary is deserving of so much. That locker room scene says a lot about his passion and the team's feelings towards him. A special kid for sure.

Members online

Latest posts