Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGough is 27 yrs old, Etling turns 29 Saturday...neither are locks for PS much less the 53 unless they really show a lot in August.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGough is 27 yrs old, Etling turns 29 Saturday...neither are locks for PS much less the 53 unless they really show a lot in August.
I don't think age is going to be a big deal to be honest. The guy will be a back up. #2 or #3 in the line up. I think they're just looking for the best option available. I think they lean towards Clifford, because he was drafted, and an investment, but who knows?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are signing another QB. USFL MVP Alex McGough

Of course, don't get too excited Jace Sternberger might have been the top TE in the USFL last season.

"Jace Sternberger, a former third-round pick of the Packers, benefited significantly from McGough’s production. He was arguably the best tight end in the USFL last season, finding the end zone seven times with 517 receiving yards to his name."

My mind flashed to Kurt Warner, a one-time member of the vaunted Iowa Barnstormers:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Yes, McGough is a longshot...Likely not to make the team or much of an impression, but you never know.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll try people for the back up QB role right up until the final cut. I think he's got a decent chance of getting on the roster. It's between him and Etling. We know that they won't dump their draft pick (Clifford) QB, or Love. Remember, they changed the rules, so they can carry a 3rd QB without it impacting the roster. Here's a link to info.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hard to imagine Clifford isn't on the final 53. They used a 5th round pick on him and aren't going to risk a Taysom Hill move on him. Also, hard to imagine keeping 3 QB's on the 53, so guessing that they want 4 camp arms and Etling isn't impressing a lot of people either. So it will be McGough or Etling as the PS QB. Will they give McGough #12, his jersey number at FIU.

Reaction score
MVP, baby!!
We don’t care what league we’re not picky! We’ve broken the record books. 3 MVP baby! 4 if Jordan makes it! :laugh:

Seriously though nice to see Jace Sternberger tearing it up as his weapon in the USFL. It’s come full circle.

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone provide any insight as to how Green Bay could add Budda Baker to the team?

He wants a lot of money, but I think he's worth it.

The safety group isn't inspiring.

Baker could really bring this defense into the ranks of San Francisco, NYJ, and (imo) Miami.

Is the addition of Budda Baker realistic or hopeless optimism?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not realistic without dipping into idiot money (void years) or cutting others.

I was all for us signing a better vet over signing Moore and Owens but here we are

I hope Owens hits and Savage progresses...they need to...

Reaction score
Not realistic without dipping into idiot money (void years) or cutting others.

I was all for us signing a better vet over signing Moore and Owens but here we are
I agree. Heres my take
Sometimes these low cost guys scare me. Looking at Owens production across 17 games it’s hard to argue with this low cost signing.

Another impression he’s left on me is His “burst”. During His ProDay Owens jumped a 43” vertical. To put this in context it’s 1.5” higher than any player at the entire ‘23 NFL combine. He also jumped 132” Broad jump (11 feet) so he’s got elite burst. He ran a 4.43X40 time and he grades at the top 1% burst score.

I don’t have much concern with him as our 3rd Safety after him starting all 17 games in 2022. He was very involved as a regular contributor last season.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone provide any insight as to how Green Bay could add Budda Baker to the team?

Baker could really bring this defense into the ranks of San Francisco, NYJ, and (imo) Miami.

Is the addition of Budda Baker realistic or hopeless optimism?
GB still has $13mil cap space which Gute will hang onto heading into camp. At final cut down there will probably be some surprisingly good players available. It also gives the staff all of camp to evaluate the roster. Gute will spend wisely, and the team won't have significant holes in September.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will need the money they have to fill injury spots as the season progresses. I doubt they'll do anything in his direction.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baker isn’t a this team this year signing. Now we may still nab a veteran safety but not for Baker type money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Hard pass.

No doubt Baker is a top safety in the league, but I wouldn't want Gute to spend the kind of money that Baker wants (highest paid S) which currently is $19+M/year (Derwin James). More importantly, Baker is not a free agent and I can only imagine the draft assets that the Cardinals would want to trade him.

I also think the Defense is in pretty good shape and the Packers need to use 2023 to see what they have in Love and the young receiving group. If their current Safety group isn't the answer, that can be addressed in 2024 throught the draft or in Free Agency.

Reaction score
Hard pass.

No doubt Baker is a top safety in the league, but I wouldn't want Gute to spend the kind of money that Baker wants (highest paid S) which currently is $19+M/year (Derwin James). More importantly, Baker is not a free agent and I can only imagine the draft assets that the Cardinals would want to trade him.

I also think the Defense is in pretty good shape and the Packers need to use 2023 to see what they have in Love and the young receiving group. If their current Safety group isn't the answer, that can be addressed in 2024 throught the draft or in Free Agency.
Oh gosh that’s way too much $$.
The only way I’d bring in a Veteran over a few million area is if we are above .500+ around trade deadline and the Division is within reach AND Safety has shown some desperate need of an upgrade. Plus obvious direct benefits of a prorated deal

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard pass.

Valid points. Fair assessment.

Reaction score
We’ll finally get some new player material this week. It’s been a long wait!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh gosh that’s way too much $$.
The only way I’d bring in a Veteran over a few million area is if we are above .500+ around trade deadline and the Division is within reach AND Safety has shown some desperate need of an upgrade. Plus obvious direct benefits of a prorated deal

The Raiders (Davante Adams) and a few other teams keep making that same mistake. They aren't SB contenders and they go out and trade draft assets and tie up a lot of money, for 1 single player, thinking it is the missing piece to a SB.

I hope the Packers are competitive in 2023, but giving away high draft assets and tying up a ton of cap on a Safety, isn't my way of building a very young team for the future.

Gute has been playing it pretty smart so far. He turned a very aging team into a very young one in less than a year. IF his last few years of draft picks pay off AND Love is legit, this team could make another long run of dominating the NFC North and NFC in general.

Members online

Latest posts