Packers Official Schedule For 2023

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree some of those games should be winnable but a few are actually quite hard. One thing I notice is most people tend to think about strength of schedule only in terms of the opponent's record last year. That's typically how it's mentioned on sites like NFL.com for example. But it's all a bit myopic to me, because a team's record last year doesn't usually track with what their record will be this year. The Vikings were statistically a 7-10 team masquerading as a 13-4 squad. If you treat them off record, yeah, wow, they look really tough, especially on the road. If you go by other stats and metrics, it's not really that intimidating.

Two things I looked for in the schedule release were back to back road games for us and our opponent. I think stats have any given game being 52-48 in favor of the home team, but that changes to 60-40 if the road team is playing its second straight road game, so it's definitely a thing that impacts games in a noticeable way. The Packers play back to back road games twice this season and the second games are Week 2 in Atlanta and Week 17 in Minnesota. Now of course both games are winnable still but the scheduling has made those games quite harder for us than they normally would have been. I think both have to be considered to be likely losses.

On the flip side, we're getting four opponents this year in Lambeau who played a road game the week before. The Saints, Rams, Chiefs, and Bucs. The schedule has given us a bit more of a chance in each game thanks to that.

The other thing to look at is to compare the amount of rest teams have before the game. You generally think of a team coming off a bye week to have some inherit advantages than a team who just played given the more time to prep and heal up banged up players. The Packers have two games, both on the road, against teams this year where we have a rest disadvantage. We play the Steelers in week 10 after the Steelers will have done the Thursday night game in Week 9, giving them three extra days than us for our game. The worse one is the Giants game in week 14 as the Giants have a bye in week 13 but we play. Both games are going to be much harder than normal due to that.

The Packers have rest advantages of three extra days against the Raiders (road), Broncos (road) and Chiefs (home). The Broncos is our game after the bye but the Broncos play on Thursday night the previous week and gain some of the time difference back. Hopefully we'll have a bit more of a chance in those games.

My bottom line is, not knowing how the team will come together, or play, especially Love, and only looking at the schedule as made, I think we've been given a few schedule losses (Falcons, Steelers, Giants) and a few schedule wins (Bucs, Rams, Saints, Raiders). The game we have the biggest scheduling advantages with is the Chiefs game given the extra rest and that it's at home and the Chiefs will be playing back to back road games. That might be this season's 'how in the heck are we winning this' game, but it is the Chiefs, so...
Good analysis, thanks. I too look at bye weeks and back to back road games. I hadn't taken the time to do that yet, so thanks for doing "my work". :)

Injuries to the Packers and their opponents is also a very big factor in what happens. How many times have we seen injuries derail a teams season? Throw in free agent losses and player development and you have a whole lot of variables to consider for "strength of schedule". While the previous seasons record should be considered, it can be only a small variable in the big picture.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought the road home/games were supposed to alternate each year - so if the Packers played 9 road games last year, they should play 9 home games this year. Is that not true?
They do. The London game against the Giants was considered a Packer home game last season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Jets get to play 10 games in their home stadium this season. Although only 9 of those games are considered "home games", the 10th is "@ N.Y. Giants". Since both teams play their home games at MetLife Stadium, it will be on very familiar turf for the Jets.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah things change quickly in the NFL. The NFC East has been a reliable weak conference for years. No more. As for the South, well they'll be better than last year. Saints look good and the Panthers have a rumored franchise QB. So we can't count the wins just yet.
Panthers rookie QB will be playing his 16th game of the season on 12/24/23. The "rookie wall" will (hopefully) have hit him & he/the team may be on fumes by then. Carolina is a very winnable game, imho.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panthers rookie QB will be playing his 16th game of the season on 12/24/23. The "rookie wall" will (hopefully) have hit him & he/the team may be on fumes by then. Carolina is a very winnable game, imho.
I agree. And as we found out last year, it takes more than a future-HOF-franchise QB to make an offense run.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sure they can but didn't. They went with a formula instead of "what gets us more ratings this season" type of scheduling. No reason they had to go with "a team in the other conference we didn't play last season and won't next" schedule. Just easier to figure out this way.

The NFL agreed to that formula to schedule the 17th game when they decided to add another regular season contest before the 2021 season. They can't change that to have the Packers play the Jets this year.

Yeah but the fact that they gave the Packers 3 unflex-able prime time games says they are optimistic about Love. In addition they still decided to give the Packers the other 2 games right now, instead of waiting for Love to prove himself and then flexing those last 2 games into prime-time slots.

Well, one of those games is a Thursday night game every team has to play in during the season. I'm actually surprised ESPN chose them playing the Raiders and Giants on Monday night.

Two things I looked for in the schedule release were back to back road games for us and our opponent. I think stats have any given game being 52-48 in favor of the home team, but that changes to 60-40 if the road team is playing its second straight road game, so it's definitely a thing that impacts games in a noticeable way.

The other thing to look at is to compare the amount of rest teams have before the game. You generally think of a team coming off a bye week to have some inherit advantages than a team who just played given the more time to prep and heal up banged up players.

Actually teams were 31-41 (.431) last season in games playing on the road for the second or third consecutive time. There wasn't much of a difference compared to the overall record on the road (118-153-2, .438).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is what I said.
Agree. And the NFC North teams played the AFC East teams last year, meaning the Jets. I don't know when the Pack will play the Jets again (it won't be the SB.....) but Rodgers will probably be gone.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, one of those games is a Thursday night game every team has to play in during the season.
No, every team has to play on a Thursday, not necessarily at night. Since they gave the Packers a Thanksgiving game, they did not need to give the Packers another Thursday night game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, every team has to play on a Thursday, not necessarily at night. Since they gave the Packers a Thanksgiving game, they did not need to give the Packers another Thursday night game.
I'm not sure pacmaniac, when I believe the stipulation was everyone has to play the Amazon Thursday night game, meaning they wouldn't count the Thanksgiving game as a Thursday game. Not sure about that I could be wrong.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. And the NFC North teams played the AFC East teams last year, meaning the Jets. I don't know when the Pack will play the Jets again (it won't be the SB.....) but Rodgers will probably be gone.
I'm not sure but it seems that the extra game - the 17th game - is against out of conference foes. You should play AFC teams once every 4 years, but we played the Titans and then played them again just two years later. Possible we could end up with the Jets meeting next year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure but it seems that the extra game - the 17th game - is against out of conference foes. You should play AFC teams once every 4 years, but we played the Titans and then played them again just two years later. Possible we could end up with the Jets meeting next year.
Good point. I remember the Pack playing the Titans at Lambeau. Dillon had a great game in the snow. Then they played em again last year, I think, and lost. And I'm certain you're right about the 17th game being against an opposing conference team. I just don't know how the selection is made.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Outside of a Superbowl meeting, The Packers and Jets would only play in 2024 if both finish in the same place in their perspective divisions. The game would be at Lambeau. Otherwise, it won't be until 2026 that the 2 teams meet and that game is @ Jets.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that is what I said.

My bad, didn't read your response carefully.

Actually the Thanksgiving game doesn't factor into the ones that are broadcast on Amazon Prime. With that being said they changed the rules for those games this year, resulting in four teams (Colts, Texans, Falcons, Cardinals) not playing in one of those games.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad, didn't read your response carefully.
In your haste to try to "win" arguments, you do that a lot.

Actually the Thanksgiving game doesn't factor into the ones that are broadcast on Amazon Prime. With that being said they changed the rules for those games this year, resulting in four teams (Colts, Texans, Falcons, Cardinals) not playing in one of those games.
So then they did give the Packers that Thursday prime time game when they didn't have to.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In your haste to try to "win" arguments, you do that a lot.

So then they did give the Packers that Thursday prime time game when they didn't have to.
Yeah, I agree with you. The forum isn't about "winning" arguments, or going out of the way to point out where someone is wrong. I don't mind an occasional correction, or giving one. But when that's almost all a poster does, and it's noticed by a number of other posters, well then something is just off. Kinda quirky.

It's a habit of very insecure people. "I'm right, you're wrong!!! Told ya so!"

Hey, whatever. Can't make a zebra change its stripes. Life's too short. Ignore it.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you. The forum isn't about "winning" arguments, or going out of the way to point out where someone is wrong. I don't mind an occasional correction, or giving one. But when that's almost all a poster does, and it's noticed by a number of other posters, well then something is just off and it seems like trolling. Check that. It is trolling.
It's either trolling or some sort of neurodivergence is going on. There's nothing wrong with the latter as it's out of his control, but it certainly would explain his behavior.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's what I said. It's hilarious that you accuse me of hasting to try to win an argument and yet do it yourself in the same post.

It's either trolling or some sort of neurodivergence is going on. There's nothing wrong with the latter as it's out of his control, but it certainly would explain his behavior.

Wow, just wow. While you try to convince everybody that you don't have an issue with someone having a different opinion you turn around and suggest another poster has a brain disorder because he doesn't agree with you :eek:

I will report that post to the moderators while definitely not expecting any of them to step in.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neurodivergence!!!!! I just knew there had to be a name for it. Thanks pac. And yeah, we gotta be understanding of those with conditions that can't be controlled. Or maybe not.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wow, just wow. While you try to convince everybody that you don't have an issue with someone having a different opinion you turn around and suggest another poster has a brain disorder because he doesn't agree with you :eek:

I will report that post to the moderators while definitely not expecting any of them to step in.
Before you go reporting people, you might want to remember the message that you sent me, accusing me of being a "troll". Wake up Captain. Yeah, I said I wasn't going to respond to you anymore, but you threatening other posters and then throwing in your own back stab of the moderators with it, that is as you just said:

Wow, just wow.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I said. It's hilarious that you accuse me of hasting to try to win an argument and yet do it yourself in the same post.
Actually what prompted this whole Thursday prime time game argument was me saying that the NFL gave the Packers some prime-time games when they didn't have to, and then you saying "Well, one of those games is a Thursday night game every team has to play in during the season." Turns out you were wrong, and that's what I was pointing out. Don't try to make it look like you were right all along, because you weren't.

While you try to convince everybody that you don't have an issue with someone having a different opinion
I don't have an issue with disagreement. You are not the only poster I have disagreed with on this forum. As I said before, it is the way you express your disagreement, and I'm not the only one who has mentioned that.

suggest another poster has a brain disorder because he doesn't agree with you
I used the neutral term "neurodivergence", and I said that there's nothing wrong with being that way. It is sad that you chose to use the phrase "brain disorder" which has negative connotations, and the fact that you considered it to be a personal attack suggests you are prejudiced against neurodivergent people.

Reporting a post is definitely proof you cannot handle disagreement. And apparently you have tried that tactic before and the mods disagreed with you. You were also banned at one point, so you are the one with a problem, not me.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll say this once

I've had capt on ignore for ages. You won't change his mind..everyone of you that have complained about his posts, is what I told him personally. He don't give a sh it... He truly doesn't give a *******

I suggest that everyone that is annoyed by his postings, put him on ignore..Then he will only be replying to himself...

He then can go to Kevin's forum...

He isnt breaking any rules, but if you stop replying he goes away

Its so peacefull when you ignore people

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Before you go reporting people, you might want to remember the message that you sent me, accusing me of being a "troll". Wake up Captain. Yeah, I said I wasn't going to respond to you anymore, but you threatening other posters and then throwing in your own back stab of the moderators with it, that is as you just said:
U can report the message

Pleaseeeee report it

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone show me the rules mods have to follow.

Can anyone show me a rule where mods can do as they please?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts