2023 Division round at the SF

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you imagine if the league had implemented the taunting rule prior to 1965? Butkus would have been pelted by flags all day long.
Yes there's been a number of players over the years who have earned that bad boy distinction.
Remember Freddy "the hammer" Williamson who had a penchant for jamming his elbow into the top of a guys helmet. Or
Bill romanowski the master of spitting on people.
Ndamukong Duh stepping on people like they were just dirt.
Yes things have changed quite a bit sometimes for the good, other times not so much.
For me it comes down to intent on whether a penalty should be called or not.
When Rodgers was slammed to the ground by one of the vikes and ended up with a broken collar bone when he was already in the grasp that was clear intent and thus the new roughing the passer rule emerged. A good thing in the beginning but the NFL has carried it a bit to far for me now.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KC wins, and it'd be pretty hard not to talk "dynasty". After watching the '60s Pack and then seeing the other dynasties added, I would prefer not to see them with another Lombardi. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen a scenario where they both lose, so I guess that means I'll be hoping for a 49er win. Agree on not watching, although, for me, that doesn't mean much - haven't watched a SB since 2010.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Can you imagine if the league had implemented the taunting rule prior to 1965? Butkus would have been pelted by flags all day long.
I for one like the no-taunting rule and think the refs typically get it right. The only black eye the NFL had in getting there was the time period that they were calling a celebration after a good play "taunting". Those few years took the fun out of football. Football is a hard hitting, tough sport, that shouldn't include baiting your opponents into fights, because you're a schoolyard bully, thinking that antagonizing others is somehow necessary or cool.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KC wins, and it'd be pretty hard not to talk "dynasty". After watching the '60s Pack and then seeing the other dynasties added, I would prefer not to see them with another Lombardi. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen a scenario where they both lose, so I guess that means I'll be hoping for a 49er win. Agree on not watching, although, for me, that doesn't mean much - haven't watched a SB since 2010.
When all is said and done I guess I am just an old fashioned football fan
no matter who is playing in the SB. I always liked football the most of all the sports. I enjoy the chess match, the cat and mouse game going on.
And it just suits my personality as far as action. Baseball is to slow for me, hockey to fast. Football has something happening every 30 sec or so which seems just right.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When all is said and done I guess I am just an old fashioned football fan
no matter who is playing in the SB. I always liked football the most of all the sports. I enjoy the chess match, the cat and mouse game going on.
And it just suits my personality as far as action. Baseball is to slow for me, hockey to fast. Football has something happening every 30 sec or so which seems just right.
For me I have to care about the outcome to watch it. I guess I do hate the KC Swifties more right now, especially their whiny, childish QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Same here..and..I don't care to hear about their valentines day plans..unless it involves a gun and a shovel!
I have to say, it is cute how Taylor Swift lives rent free in some peoples minds. She isn't the first celebrity to hook up with a famous athlete, yet for some reason, there's a small minority of football fans that just can't stop talking about Taylor and Travis and how much they hate them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Chiefs get to play by a different set of rules than the rest of the league.
Oh? What rules are those and how do they differ from the rules that the other 31 teams play under? I didn't realize that the Chiefs were given their own set of rules. Are they even close to what other teams play by week after week? Sounds kind of unfair to me. Have you taken this up with the league office yet? I would think that this would be huge news and all over the internet by now? I wonder if the 49'ers might have their own set of rules too? :coffee:

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chiefs get to play by a different set of rules than the rest of the league.
They use to say the same thing about the patriots in their heyday.
Calls( or no calls) seemed to be tilted their way. But the data doesn't support that assumption. Pats were 11 SBs with a 6-5 record. Barely above 500.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They get ALOT of favorable calls from the refs! Look how many 15 yd penalties Baltimore had, especially roughing the passer. Were they penalties? YES! They let that go sometimes too. Any other qb would not get that many in 1 game. The Bill's also had a few bad calls against them, penalties they let the chefs get away with. Look at our game, the refs tried to make them win! Last year's superbowl as well, they call a key penalty late in the game that helps them win.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My grandfather used to say that the bears cheated in the George Halas years in Chicago. That could have been true.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Jones has a penchant for wrecking offensive game plans. I wonder if Jerzhan Newton will end up being one of those game wreckers.
It's because of guys like Jones that we need an exceptional O line. Winning 10 or 11 games and playing very good during the regular season doesn't really get it done come playoff time. So I would like to continually grow better on the O line. And I don't think we are there yet. I guess most generally agree with that.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been saying their oline is weak for the last 5 years. I think they need more beef on the dline as well. 4, 200 yd rushers allowed tells me they are very weak there too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They get ALOT of favorable calls from the refs! Look how many 15 yd penalties Baltimore had, especially roughing the passer. Were they penalties? YES! They let that go sometimes too. Any other qb would not get that many in 1 game. The Bill's also had a few bad calls against them, penalties they let the chefs get away with. Look at our game, the refs tried to make them win! Last year's superbowl as well, they call a key penalty late in the game that helps them win.

Sounds like the battle cry that gets roared after almost every game, in almost every sport, by the losing side. I will never say that NFL officiating is perfect and I am the first to say it needs to be improved, but all this chatter of "the refs rigged things for X to win", is hilarious.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like the battle cry that gets roared after almost every game, in almost every sport, by the losing side. I will never say that NFL officiating is perfect and I am the first to say it needs to be improved, but all this chatter of "the refs rigged things for X to win", is hilarious.
As far as I understand things officiating crews get graded on every play in every game by NFL authorities. If a crew wants to make it to playoff status they have to do an accurate job as best they can.
Bad calls(from our perspective) happen all the time because many times it comes down to a judgement call. Did he or didn't he....
In the packers game with the chiefs this year there was controversy about a pass interference Non-Call late in the game that gave us the win . Sometimes things go your way sometimes not. Unfortunately things arent always black and white when it comes to Holding, PI, or any other play that requires some judgement, unlike detemining if a TD was scored when you have cameras at every angle that clearly define if the plane was broken before a knee hit the ground.
That's the NFL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In the packers game with the chiefs this year there was controversy about a pass interference Non-Call late in the game that gave us the win .
This is the misconception that a lot of fans have; "A bad call for or against my team changed the outcome of the game." Yes, there have been games that end with a bad call, but they pale in numbers compared to all the games fans claimed were won or lost by a bad call. During the 60 minutes of a game, I would guess that there are a lot of missed calls, bad calls and marginal calls.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the misconception that a lot of fans have; "A bad call for or against my team changed the outcome of the game." Yes, there have been games that end with a bad call, but they pale in numbers compared to all the games fans claimed were won or lost by a bad call. During the 60 minutes of a game, I would guess that there are a lot of missed calls, bad calls and marginal calls.
In the case of the chiefs game the non- call did affect the outcome of the game since there was very little time left for the chiefs to do anything so that long pass was their last gasp of hope to try to get close enough to the end zone to try something. Otherwise I agree that in any game many calls or non-calls could have gone either way depending on the view or judgement of the official making the call.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In the case of the chiefs game the non- call did affect the outcome of the game since there was very little time left for the chiefs to do anything so that long pass was their last gasp of hope to try to get close enough to the end zone to try something.

So you are saying that had PI been called on Valentine, the Chiefs win the game?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say, it is cute how Taylor Swift lives rent free in some peoples minds. She isn't the first celebrity to hook up with a famous athlete, yet for some reason, there's a small minority of football fans that just can't stop talking about Taylor and Travis and how much they hate them.
Swift, Swift-ies, and Kelce don't bother me. In fact I greatly admire Swift for her efforts she makes to her fans. Kelce is one of the greatest TEs ever - I think he passed Gronk on that scale. What I don't like is the TV coverage of having to go to a shot her every few mins. I get that the NFL is exploiting her presence to attract a wider viewership is a shrewd business move. And yes, I would do it if I was in the NFLs position, but I'm not so I don't have to like it!

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are saying that had PI been called on Valentine, the Chiefs win the game?
Not exactly. What I am saying is the odds or probability of them winning would have gone up quite a bit if interference had been called giving them a chance from a spot much closer to the end zone than where they were. Doesn't mean they would have won. Only means they would have had a better chance to do it.