Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One definition of leadership is the ability to get a unit to accomplish things they could not/would not on their own. Rodgers melted in crunch time. 4th quarters of the Tampa Bay home playoff loss, SF home playoff loss, Detroit home “play in” loss? 10 of 23 for 83 yards one interception zero touchdowns. 52 QBR. That ain’t taking anyone anywhere. Brady? 7 Super Bowls. Yeah I know… fluke after fluke after fluke after fluke after fluke after fluke after (it’s all Belechik) fluke
Even Favre had his playoff meltdowns. Pick in 2007 playoff with Giants. Pick in Philly in 2003 playoff. A load of them in St.Louis in 2001. And the crunch time of the Bronco SB. Sometimes it is the lead up that puts you in a position to win or lose or what we call crunch time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't believe that even as a backup QB behind a FHOF'r that Love was a shrinking violet. I highly, highly doubt that "no one has any idea" about his leadership, but I'm not expecting you to ever change your opinion.

I'm more than ready to change my opinion about Love. Actually that's a bit misleading as I don't have one at this point in the first place. While I'm well aware that I don't know how Love will end up performing as a starting quarterback nor do I have any knowledge about his leadership skills there are a lot of posters who act as if they know for a fact that Love will develop into a solid starter and a better leader as Rodgers ever was. In my opinion it's utter nonsense to be sure about that based on an interview by Gary Andersen years back.

I'm looking forward to finding out starting in September but it seems to me that all of you who have declared him as a success at this point will actually be the one not being able to change your opinion on him.

One definition of leadership is the ability to get a unit to accomplish things they could not/would not on their own.

It might be a smart approach to take a look at Rodgers' entire tenure with the Packers to figure out if he elevated the team. I don't expect you to ever be able to do that as you solely concentrate on his performance in three quarters of losses for some ridiculous reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to a starting qb, the bar is set high as it should be for leadership. Pouting on the sidelines of winnable playoff games doesn't cut it, whether its Favre in 2007 or Rodgers in 2020 and 2021 vs SF. Who cares if they had some great 4th quarter comebacks in their career. You play the game to win championships and pouting on the sidelines in the biggest games will define their tenure and character. Lets hope Love learned how to instill confidence if he gets to the playoffs, rather than being a prima donna crybaby. You still have to perform so leadership isn't everything but its important.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to a starting qb, the bar is set high as it should be for leadership. Pouting on the sidelines of winnable playoff games doesn't cut it, whether its Favre in 2007 or Rodgers in 2020 and 2021 vs SF. Who cares if they had some great 4th quarter comebacks in their career. You play the game to win championships and pouting on the sidelines in the biggest games will define their tenure and character. Lets hope Love learned how to instill confidence if he gets to the playoffs, rather than being a prima donna crybaby. You still have to perform so leadership isn't everything but its important.
He has to reach primadonna status BEFORE he is eligible to cry. That is a long way off. Right now he is little more than a rookie in the NFL who has never swam a lap in the pool.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more than ready to change my opinion about Love. Actually that's a bit misleading as I don't have one at this point in the first place.
You recently suggested you think Love will be so bad that the Packers might get the overall #1 pick in 2024.

I'm looking forward to finding out starting in September but it seems to me that all of you who have declared him as a success at this point will actually be the one not being able to change your opinion on him.
I have seen several posters express optimism about Love, but I am not aware of any posters here who are 100% certain he will be a success.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen several posters express optimism about Love, but I am not aware of any posters here who are 100% certain he will be a success.
I'll fess up, @pacmaniac ... I'm as close to 100% as can be that Love is the 3rd straight FHOF'r QB in GB. I'll take the abuse if it doesn't happen, but I'm on record! :)

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to a starting qb, the bar is set high as it should be for leadership. Pouting on the sidelines of winnable playoff games doesn't cut it, whether its Favre in 2007 or Rodgers in 2020 and 2021 vs SF. Who cares if they had some great 4th quarter comebacks in their career.

Rodgers hasn't had any great 4th quarter comebacks in the playoffs. He only had one playoff 4th quarter comeback - when he trailed by a measly 1 point entering the 4th quarter against Dallas in 2015.

Reaction score
If Love flops, I’ll just say.
““It Depends on what your definition of “is” is””
I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to use that response. It’s from President Bill Clinton and used as he evaded Lewinsky :eek:

Apparently There’s always a way out of trouble if you just keep sidestepping and redirecting! ;)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love flops, I’ll just say.
““It Depends on what your definition of “is” is””
I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to use that response. It’s from President Bill Clinton and used as he evaded Lewinsky :eek:
don't think he really evaded her.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers hasn't had any great 4th quarter comebacks in the playoffs. He only had one playoff 4th quarter comeback - when he trailed by a measly 1 point entering the 4th quarter against Dallas in 2015.
I am hoping CAPT (or someone else) could tell us how many times AR either tied or took the lead in the 4th qtr. of a playoff game only to have the D give up the winning score. I honestly do not know the answer and will admit to having selective memory if this never happened or rarely happened.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I referring to regular season games. Unfortunately, you're right that he wasn't much help once the team got behind in the 4th quarter of playoff games.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, Brady has done all of that in his career as well. That didn't prevent him from winning seven Super Bowls though.

You recently suggested you think Love will be so bad that the Packers might get the overall #1 pick in 2024.

That doesn't mean I suggest Love will end up being a bust though. Unfortunately I believe the team lacks overall talent, making it extremely tough for Love to succeed this season. It's entirely possible that he shows some promise despite the team finishing with a terrible record.

Just take a look at Rodgers' first season as a starter for some evidence. While that team finished only 6-10 they had more talent than this year's roster in my opinion.

I am hoping CAPT (or someone else) could tell us how many times AR either tied or took the lead in the 4th qtr. of a playoff game only to have the D give up the winning score. I honestly do not know the answer and will admit to having selective memory if this never happened or rarely happened.

Glad you asked. Let's take a look at Rodgers' performance in the postseason to figure that out.

In his first playoff game at the Cardinals in 2009, Rodgers brought the team back from a 38-24 deficit entering the fourth quarter (they actually trailed 31-10 in the middle of the third) to force overtime with the game being tied at 45. Unfortunately he was strip sacked resulting Arizona scoring a touchdown with the refs missing a face mask.

In 2013, the Packers entered the fourth quarter trailing 13-10 vs. the Niners. They took the lead once on a Kuhn touchdown and tied the game another time at 20 just for the defense to not being able to get off the field with San Francisco winning the game on a field goal with time running out.

Next season, the Seahawks took a 3-point lead with 1:25 left in the fourth quarter but Rodgers was able to get them into field goal range to tie the game. Of course the defense wasn't able to prevent Seattle from scoring a TD in overtime with the offense never getting the ball back.

The following year, the Cardinals kicked a field goal to go up by seven with 1:55 left but Rodgers orchestrated a touchdown drive despite being down to Abbrederis and Janis as his main targets, completing not one but two Hail Marys to tie the score. Once again, the defense allowed a TD on the opening drive in OT.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, Brady has done all of that in his career as well. That didn't prevent him from winning seven Super Bowls though.

That doesn't mean I suggest Love will end up being a bust though. Unfortunately I believe the team lacks overall talent, making it extremely tough for Love to succeed this season. It's entirely possible that he shows some promise despite the team finishing with a terrible record.

Just take a look at Rodgers' first season as a starter for some evidence. While that team finished only 6-10 they had more talent than this year's roster in my opinion.

Glad you asked. Let's take a look at Rodgers' performance in the postseason to figure that out.

In his first playoff game at the Cardinals in 2009, Rodgers brought the team back from a 38-24 deficit entering the fourth quarter (they actually trailed 31-10 in the middle of the third) to force overtime with the game being tied at 45. Unfortunately he was strip sacked resulting Arizona scoring a touchdown with the refs missing a face mask.

In 2013, the Packers entered the fourth quarter trailing 13-10 vs. the Niners. They took the lead once on a Kuhn touchdown and tied the game another time at 20 just for the defense to not being able to get off the field with San Francisco winning the game on a field goal with time running out.

Next season, the Seahawks took a 3-point lead with 1:25 left in the fourth quarter but Rodgers was able to get them into field goal range to tie the game. Of course the defense wasn't able to prevent Seattle from scoring a TD in overtime with the offense never getting the ball back.

The following year, the Cardinals kicked a field goal to go up by seven with 1:55 left but Rodgers orchestrated a touchdown drive despite being down to Abbrederis and Janis as his main targets, completing not one but two Hail Marys to tie the score. Once again, the defense allowed a TD on the opening drive in OT.
Good to know my memory is not as bad as I thought.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers worked out a FA vet WR yesterday, Keke Coutee.

Guessing if they like him, will be a minimum vet offer, with very little, if any in guarantees.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers claimed OT DJ Scaife off waivers. He brings quite a bit of college experience, starting 52 games for Miami. Scaife appears to be one of those versatile guys that can play both G and T, but sounds more suited to playing G in the NFL. Camp body, but who knows, might develop into something, if given the chance.

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Packers claimed OT DJ Scaife off waivers. He brings quite a bit of college experience, starting 52 games for Miami. Scaife appears to be one of those versatile guys that can play both G and T, but sounds more suited to playing G in the NFL. Camp body, but who knows, might develop into something, if given the chance.

Makes you wonder if he was on their radar after the draft for a tryout, and lost out to the Dolphins.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

Just another camp body. Gutey said they didn't draft any o-lineman due to them having a hard time making the team. In other words, they are set on the o-line. But hey, we have to fill those 90 spots anyway. I'm for giving him a shot. As you say, he was a solid player in college.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To finish signing the draftees people will be released. I think there are 92 filled counting unsigned picks. I don't know if the international player whn? counts.
Pretty sure DL Kenneth Odumegwu (Oh-Do-MAY-Goo) counts towards the 90 man roster, but will not count towards the 16 player PS after the 53 cut-downs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To finish signing the draftees people will be released. I think there are 92 filled counting unsigned picks. I don't know if the international player whn? counts.
The IP player does not count on the 90 man roster.

If the Packers want him on the 53 in Sept., he counts towards it.

While he can be an "extra" PS member and not count towards the 16, if they go that route, he can't be elevated to the 53 man roster this year. Also, using that PS exemption protects him from being signed by another team. Appears the rules were set to give the IP players a chance to develop, with the same team, over the course of a full season.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts