Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The IP player does not count on the 90 man roster.

If the Packers want him on the 53 in Sept., he counts towards it.

While he can be an "extra" PS member and not count towards the 16, if they go that route, he can't be elevated to the 53 man roster this year. Also, using that PS exemption protects him from being signed by another team. Appears the rules were set to give the IP players a chance to develop, with the same team, over the course of a full season.

Yup, and I mean unless he's absolute trash I see no reason not to use the exemption and keep him in house a year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not really a roster addition, but the Packers have hired a "salary cap wizard", Joey Laine. Russ Ball is still on the staff, but I have to wonder if this hiring might be to groom his eventual replacement.

Reaction score
Someone in that article mentioned that Void monies to help arrange the Roster was a form of “cheating”.
I guess that person never used credit before and They are probably the same ones lobbying to get their student loan paid for with our tax dollars :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Someone in that article mentioned that Void monies to help arrange the Roster was a form of “cheating”.
I guess that person never used credit before and They are probably the same ones lobbying to get their student loan paid for with our tax dollars :rolleyes:
The article pointed out Nick Wright's viewpoint, he "has called for the league to change rules because he views the strategy as fraud and not creative circumvention of the written rulebook".

Much like tax laws, if the rules allow for it, then it can be done. Not really sure what Nick's beef is, it isn't like teams are publicly held, with investors being duped. Obviously, the Packers are "publicly owned", but the value of their stock does not go up and down with what the team does or doesn't do. Now if I was going to buy an NFL franchise, I would sure want my number crunchers to look closely at the books, to determine how much future money will be owed.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be honest the void years I despise as well...and like Poker said though, they are a legal loophole....same way millionaires end up paying lower income taxes than me....

Reaction score
I'll be honest the void years I despise as well...and like Poker said though, they are a legal loophole....same way millionaires end up paying lower income taxes than me....
I disagree with that and I’m not a millionaire. But I do understand that has been propagated by various entities (mostly for selfish objectives) I do have an older brother in that wealthy category and he pays 25X the tax $ I pay (maybe much more idk). He also sacrificed much of his life to get where he’s at and he’s a lot more educated and motivated than I am and has completely different objectives than me. I’m not interested in taking away from him if I wanted his $$ I’d rely on my own efforts, not demonize his monetary success

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with that and I’m not a millionaire. But I do understand that has been propagated by various entities (mostly for selfish objectives) I do have an older brother in that wealthy category and he pays 25X the tax $ I pay (maybe much more idk). He also sacrificed much of his life to get where he’s at and he’s a lot more educated and motivated than I am and has completely different objectives than me. I’m not interested in taking away from him if I wanted his $$ I’d rely on my own efforts, not demonize his monetary success

Um....I literally know personally people in much higher brackets than me that due to how they structure their assets and businesses they pay less than me some years. I am not at all saying millionaires should pay more or such...but there are absolutely numerous "Tax Loopholes" for lack of a better term that can be of massive advantages for some but not all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Um....I literally know personally people in much higher brackets than me that due to how they structure their assets and businesses they pay less than me some years. I am not at all saying millionaires should pay more or such...but there are absolutely numerous "Tax Loopholes" for lack of a better term that can be of massive advantages for some but not all.
So, it is only "fitting" that billionaire NFL owners get the same "loopholes" to build their team. ;)

I don't really view the cap structure though as allowing teams to "not pay". It is set up to allow them to adjust how and when to pay. Which I actually think is a good system for the following reasons and I will use the Packers as an example.

A team (Packers 2018-23) that is right on the brink of greatness, can push money out and go "all in" for a year or two. However, after that time period is up, they start feeling the sting of shedding all that excess cap that was piled up.

A team can also us the cap system to "build for the future". I can't remember what the number is, but a team can carry excess cap into the following season. Along with doing that and not pushing actual salaries out, a team can rebuild with younger players and cheaper vets. Then when they are ready to go "all in", they have the means to do it.

The trick is balancing somewhere in between the 2 methods, in my opinion. To go from greatness to terrible isn't going to please a lot of fans or owners.

Reaction score
So, it is only "fitting" that billionaire NFL owners get the same "loopholes" to build their team. ;)

I don't really view the cap structure though as allowing teams to "not pay". It is set up to allow them to adjust how and when to pay. Which I actually think is a good system for the following reasons and I will use the Packers as an example.

A team (Packers 2018-23) that is right on the brink of greatness, can push money out and go "all in" for a year or two. However, after that time period is up, they start feeling the sting of shedding all that excess cap that was piled up.

A team can also us the cap system to "build for the future". I can't remember what the number is, but a team can carry excess cap into the following season. Along with doing that and not pushing actual salaries out, a team can rebuild with younger players and cheaper vets. Then when they are ready to go "all in", they have the means to do it.

The trick is balancing somewhere in between the 2 methods, in my opinion. To go from greatness to terrible isn't going to please a lot of fans or owners.
I just gave you a like for pulling it back on to the Roster topic. Nice Save!

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers worked out a FA vet WR yesterday, Keke Coutee.

Guessing if they like him, will be a minimum vet offer, with very little, if any in guarantees.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Since leaving the Texans after the 2020 season Coutee has a total of two receptions in two seasons with the Colts. I highly doubt he will have any impact with the Packers if they even offer him a contract.

To finish signing the draftees people will be released. I think there are 92 filled counting unsigned picks. I don't know if the international player whn? counts.

Unsigned draft picks count against the offseason roster limit of 90 players. The Packers released CB Benjie Franklin to make room for DJ Scaife on the roster. As correctly pointed out they are currently allowed to carry 91 players on the roster as Odumegwu doesn't count against the roster limit at this point.

A team can also us the cap system to "build for the future". I can't remember what the number is, but a team can carry excess cap into the following season.

Teams are allowed to roll over the entire cap space not used in a season into the following year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers worked out a FA vet WR yesterday, Keke Coutee.

Guessing if they like him, will be a minimum vet offer, with very little, if any in guarantees.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I was thinking over the weekend everyone calling Coutee potentially the veteran to add....I laughed, because drumroll.....in the last two seasons Coutee has seen the field for less than 40 snaps.....Samori Toure snap count just last year? 110.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was thinking over the weekend everyone calling Coutee potentially the veteran to add....I laughed, because drumroll.....in the last two seasons Coutee has seen the field for less than 40 snaps.....Samori Toure snap count just last year? 110.
The more I think about any FA WR, I just don't see the need. Unless they think that Coutee has been way under the radar and has the potential to become an above average WR in the NFL. Chances of that, are about zero. In 5 seasons he hasn't done squat, with 2020 being his "best" season, 33 rec. 400 yds and 3 td's.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The more I think about any FA WR, I just don't see the need. Unless they think that Coutee has been way under the radar and has the potential to become an above average WR in the NFL. Chances of that, are about zero. In 5 seasons he hasn't done squat, with 2020 being his "best" season, 33 rec. 400 yds and 3 td's.
I don't think he gets signed. They just merely had him in for a workout and a possible camp body. He is not getting ahead of Watson, Doubs, Reed, Toure, Wicks, or even DuBose. He would be competing for a practice squad spot with guys like Cotton and Melton.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have signed WR Jadakis Bonds. He caught a total of 180 passes for 2,731 yards and 34 touchdowns during his college career with the Hampton Tigers.

To make room for him they have released TE Nick Guggemos.

Krabs

Reaction score
The Packers have signed WR Jadakis Bonds. He caught a total of 180 passes for 2,731 yards and 34 touchdowns during his college career with the Hampton Tigers.

Interesting prospect. He didn't make it on the Commanders. Either he isn't good enough, or our WR corp stinks worse.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting prospect. He didn't make it on the Commanders. Either he isn't good enough, or our WR corp stinks worse.

While I consider out receiving corps to be a question mark entering this season Bonds is definitely a longshot to make the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have signed running back Emanuel Wilson. He played two seasons for Fort Valley State College in Division II rushing the ball 331 times for 2,087 yards (6.3 average) and 22 touchdowns while catching 24 balls for 239 yards and two TDs in only 16 games.

To make room for Wilson they have released kicker Parker White, resulting in Anders Carlson being the only one left on the roster.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP updated, besides Wilson and Bonds I just noticed I missed the Daniel Whelan signing and Benjie Franklin release on the 17th.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Big Mistake! Nick Guggemos is the next Gronk!! Actually, Guggemos was a track athlete who is a freak but hasn't played a whole lot of football. Other than WR, I can't remember many examples of successful track to gridiron recruits. The notable examples were Bob Hayes and Renaldo Nehimiah. The game has changed a lot since then making the transition more difficult.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers are signing another QB. USFL MVP Alex McGough

Of course, don't get too excited Jace Sternberger might have been the top TE in the USFL last season.

"Jace Sternberger, a former third-round pick of the Packers, benefited significantly from McGough’s production. He was arguably the best tight end in the USFL last season, finding the end zone seven times with 517 receiving yards to his name."

Krabs

Reaction score
Packers are signing another QB. USFL MVP Alex McGough

Of course, don't get too excited Jace Sternberger might have been the top TE in the USFL last season.

"Jace Sternberger, a former third-round pick of the Packers, benefited significantly from McGough’s production. He was arguably the best tight end in the USFL last season, finding the end zone seven times with 517 receiving yards to his name."

He's a camp arm. I'd be shocked if that guy makes the roster. I'm guessing PS at best.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a camp arm. I'd be shocked if that guy makes the roster. I'm guessing PS at best.
Probably true, but with what they presently have competing for #2, they're all in the hunt. I honestly have no idea who will actually end up #2. I'm guessing Clifford, because of draft, and contract, but not certain.

Members online

Latest posts