Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way he makes PS is if Etling or the kid from Penn State DON'T make the team...not keeping Etling would be a huge mistake, and cutting the kid from State would just prove Gutey doesn't understand the draft.

Cutting a fifth round draft pick would prove nothing other than be a normal thing. I've not researched but I bet you it happens a decent amount in the NFL each season. Initial cuts, cut down to 53...or not on opening rosters.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutting a fifth round draft pick would prove nothing other than be a normal thing. I've not researched but I bet you it happens a decent amount in the NFL each season. Initial cuts, cut down to 53...or not on opening rosters.
Yeah but with a new QB as the starter AND a backup with 0 snaps in his life we may have the QB of the future 3rd on the depth chart right now...cutting him shoots the team in the foot until you know for sure Love 100% is the guy, which I think right now at best any of us are only 95% sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Only way he makes PS is if Etling or the kid from Penn State DON'T make the team...not keeping Etling would be a huge mistake, and cutting the kid from State would just prove Gutey doesn't understand the draft.
Early word on Clifford is that he is what they thought he was. A college QB at a top level program, with smarts and a lot of game experience. I just don't see how he doesn't make the 53 as the #2. He would have to either get injured or completely belly flop in the next 35 days. Gute isn't going to risk cutting him and trying to get him on the PS either. He already tried that with an UDFA QB, Taysom Hill and it turned out to be a pretty big mistake. OK, maybe one other way that Clifford isn't the #2, Etling or McGough are brilliant and beat out Clifford. Even if that happened, if Clifford does well, they may choose to keep 3 QB's on the 53 man roster. Personally, would rather them only carry 2.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah but with a new QB as the starter AND a backup with 0 snaps in his life we may have the QB of the future 3rd on the depth chart right now...cutting him shoots the team in the foot until you know for sure Love 100% is the guy, which I think right now at best any of us are only 95% sure.
I think if Love fails to impress or get injured, this team isn't going anywhere in 2023 with Clifford, Etling or McGough as the starter.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early word on Clifford is that he is what they thought he was. A college QB at a top level program, with smarts and a lot of game experience. I just don't see how he doesn't make the 53 as the #2. He would have to either get injured or completely belly flop in the next 35 days. Gute isn't going to risk cutting him and trying to get him on the PS either. He already tried that with an UDFA QB, Taysom Hill and it turned out to be a pretty big mistake. OK, maybe one other way that Clifford isn't the #2, Etling or McGough are brilliant and beat out Clifford. Even if that happened, if Clifford does well, they may choose to keep 3 QB's on the 53 man roster. Personally, would rather them only carry 2.
Pokerbrat need to clean up one thing I THINK you said here. Taysom Hill was Ted's last draft not a Gutey pick.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If love falls on his *** we may not be a playoff team until I'm AARP eligible in 2032.

Why? Live in a hypothetical world where Love isn't a starter.....we have a lot of draft capital, the cap hit pill is mostly swallowed for Gute to have money in 2024. Both directions could end in a QB and the rest of roster is ascending nearly everywhere still.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Live in a hypothetical world where Love isn't a starter.....we have a lot of draft capital, the cap hit pill is mostly swallowed for Gute to have money in 2024. Both directions could end in a QB and the rest of roster is ascending nearly everywhere still.
It's gonna take 2-3 years before they admit Love isn't the guy. So we're at 2025. So in the 2026 draft we draft QBOF. By this time the players that are coming into their prime, or already in their prime are either old or gone...replaced by guys with only maybe 3 years experience and maybe a year or 2 away from their prime. At the VERY earliest we're back in the playoffs in 2028.

And sorry but I'm going into the expectations like I did with Rogers in 08 that we're gonna go 0-fer. Anything above 0 wins is a positive for me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree. For those of us paying attention, Gute has actually set this team up for success. Some won't admit it, but he started this project in 2020, when his then 36 year old FHOF QB appeared to be nearing the end of his time in GB.

I don't expect a ton from the 2023 Packers, but what I do like is their future, with or even without Love becoming a FHOF QB. Obviously, if Love is THAT guy, I'm going to be over the moon as to where this team could head quickly.

Reaction score
Offensive picks in the third specifically have been his Achilles, Oren wasn’t terrible truthfully and has cemented himself as an upper level ST guy that NFL wants. Granted third round is arguably salty for that, but I’d bet even if just a fourth people wouldn’t bat an eye at saying value was there.
yeah no home runs yet in Rd3. I’m really hoping Kraft erases the athletic stigma that comes with our recent Round 3 guys. :laugh:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's gonna take 2-3 years before they admit Love isn't the guy. So we're at 2025. So in the 2026 draft we draft QBOF. By this time the players that are coming into their prime, or already in their prime are either old or gone...replaced by guys with only maybe 3 years experience and maybe a year or 2 away from their prime. At the VERY earliest we're back in the playoffs in 2028.

And sorry but I'm going into the expectations like I did with Rogers in 08 that we're gonna go 0-fer. Anything above 0 wins is a positive for me.
You must have missed when Murphy recently said they should know what they have in Love, half way into this season?

Reaction score
Agree. For those of us paying attention, Gute has actually set this team up for success. Some won't admit it, but he started this project in 2020, when his then 36 year old FHOF QB appeared to be nearing the end of his time in GB.

I don't expect a ton from the 2023 Packers, but what I do like is their future, with or even without Love becoming a FHOF QB. Obviously, if Love is THAT guy, I'm going to be over the moon as to where this team could head quickly.
That was exactly one of my thoughts once we regained a 2023 #42, 2024 2nd or 1st Rounder.
3 possible scenarios:

1. Love excels? We select mid-later in 2024 draft. We have a plethora of draft selections with likely 2 Day1’s, plus around 7-8 additional selections -+ FA to go near full throttle resigning and upgrading

2. Love plays pedestrian. We select
Mid-Lower draft. We very likely have a top 10 draft capital conglomeration of selections in comparison to other teams. We go into 2024 with a wealth of 2nd-3rd year players with great upside.

3. Love spirals downward. We have the option to move on with only $13m dead money, which is near trivial when comparing the cost across the league to separate from a QB1. Also we’re selecting top 1-10 overall and we have a 2nd Day 1 to move up well into the top 5 or better if necessary. We are talking about one of the top 2-3 QB’s in the 2024 draft. We took our expected step back at QB in 2023 and getting more needed experience across the roster. We go into 2024 with a Caleb Williams-Drake Maye type caliber prospect, plus nearly our entire plethora of Day2-3 selections AND picking early across rounds. With a rookie QB contract plus $13M dead we’re kept QB salary level headed and can get semi-involved in FA.

I’m just saying looking around? things could be much worse

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That was exactly one of my thoughts once we regained a 2023 #42, 2024 2nd or 1st Rounder.
3 possible scenarios:

1. Love excels? We select mid-later in 2024 draft. We have a plethora of draft selections with likely 2 Day1’s, plus around 7-8 additional selections -+ FA to go near full throttle resigning and upgrading

2. Love plays pedestrian. We select
Mid-Lower draft. We very likely have a top 10 draft capital conglomeration of selections.

3. Love spirals downward. We have the option to move on with only $13m dead money, which is near trivial when comparing the cost across the league to separate from a QB1. Also we’re selecting top 1-10 overall and we have a 2nd Day 1 to move up well into the top 5 or better. We are talking about one of the top 2-3 QB’s in the 2024 draft. We took our expected step back at QB in 2023 and getting more needed experience across the roster. We go into 2024 with a Caleb Williams-Drake Maye type caliber prospect, plus nearly our entire plethora of Day2-3 selections AND picking early across rounds.

I’m just saying looking around? things could be much worse
Remember, we hopefully will have the Jets first round pick too. I can see the Packers ending up with a top 10 and a mid first round pick in 2024. Depending on Love, Gute would be able to use those picks to move around the first round and get a QB (if Love isn't the real deal) or really fill some holes with the draft and Free Agency. I like where this team is cap wise and draft capital wise.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not true at all. The way they structured the deal extension means not having to risk a 5th year option cost, and making him VERY VERY cuttable after this season should he fail. Even if he doesn't fail they still could force him to play under that small 2024 contract amount.

Gute left the door wide open to have a lot of picks and target a QB in 2024 OR

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We will have to pay him before that so I hope it doesn't take that long.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not true at all. The way they structured the deal extension means not having to risk a 5th year option cost, and making him VERY VERY cuttable after this season should he fail. Even if he doesn't fail they still could force him to play under that small 2024 contract amount.

If nothing else, Love is a place marker and a solid future #2 QB. I know I brought up Murphy's comment about the Packers will know what they have in Love, half-way into this season, so I think it needs some explaining. I don't think that he meant that Love will be playing like a FHOF QB, halfway into the season. What I do think it meant was that the Packers will have a very good idea as to what Love is capable of, halfway into this season. Hate to bring it up (again), but this was one of the big reasons I hoped they would bench Rodgers and play Love for the final 5 games of 2022, but they didn't and we are here. :)

Reaction score

That’s the point I was also trying to drive home. While our GM could absolutely have missed with Love and that’s a fact. We definitely didn’t miss in the Rodgers trade.
I clearly even remember a group in here thinking we’re getting a 3rd Rounder and swallowing partial contract $. I about fell out of my chair when I heard what Brian held out for and got in trade. Near brilliant.

We are wide open to get what I’d call a top
2-3 QB prospect or better IF Love just totally sucks. I offer this because there was a specific group of fans that were getting ready to do a lynching of Gutey before they looked at his full spectrum plan.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give it a 90% chance that anyone is 95% sure that Love is 100% the guy.

Reaction score
We’re like a team of comedians in here! Yea Sir! We each tried our comedy in Standup fashion… now we’re laying down…
on the sofa.. … unemployed :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We’re like a team of comedians in here! We tried standup and now we’re laying down… on the sofa.. unemployed :whistling:
At least none of us, that I know of, are living in a van, down by the river!

Man, I miss Chris!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
At least none of us, that I know of, are living in a van, down by the river!

Man, I miss Chris!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Chris Farley had it right. He told his lazy Cousin, he’d better get off the Sofa and get his S$&@ together and get a job!
Now Jim Farley is CEO of Ford Motor Co!

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought you might get it. YES, singing "Close to the edge down by the river".

Members online

No members online now.