Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

Reaction score
The Raiders (Davante Adams) and a few other teams keep making that same mistake. They aren't SB contenders and they go out and trade draft assets and tie up a lot of money, for 1 single player, thinking it is the missing piece to a SB.

I hope the Packers are competitive in 2023, but giving away high draft assets and tying up a ton of cap on a Safety, isn't my way of building a very young team for the future.

Gute has been playing it pretty smart so far. He turned a very aging team into a very young one in less than a year. IF his last few years of draft picks pay off AND Love is legit, this team could make another long run of dominating the NFC North and NFC in general.
Yep. Gute has been pretty successful in the draft overall with just a few misses. If he keeps on that path through 2024 we’re going to be well stocked. He’ll also be able to ease back into FA as early as next season. If Jordan pans out? the Packers can spend draft and FA resources surrounding him and plugging upgrades on Defense

On a side note. As far as draft success and how that affects our roster. Gutey traded around the board and still landed J’aire plus a future Day 1 selection. When I look at a full spectrum of draft moves that’s a bonus selection imo. I’ve seen some others (not you) eluding to our GM spending or missing, but not accurately reflecting on the true value spent. Our GM essentially used a 3rd Rounder to get that extra Day 1 pick the following season. So in effect, we can apply that as a 3rd Round expenditure, not a Day1. We wouldn’t have had it unless he made the initial trade to get J’aire and gyrated down and back up. I think draft trades need to be factored into each draft grade and when we don’t do that it’s grading improperly overall. It’s not just in this forum it’s propagated from Professional Sports Analysts and other media who’ve not put very good thought into a draft grading system. Then after a few years they forget the intricacies of the moves and grade in knee jerk fashion. Yes, we need to hold Gute accountable on Reed using a #45 overall, but we also got 2 bonus Day3 selections and should factor all three of those together in our future eval.
#45 was used in combination for J. Reed+D. Wicks+ Karl Brooks. They’ll factor a miss on Reed, but not a future Probowl appearance by Wicks as a hypothetical.

If we keep massaging the draft board to get more swings like we have since 2018 + clicking along pretty successful in FA moves?
as you said… we’ll be really stout by 2024-2025 imo. I do expect a temporary, slight regression during the 2023 season though.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Raiders (Davante Adams) and a few other teams keep making that same mistake. They aren't SB contenders and they go out and trade draft assets and tie up a lot of money, for 1 single player, thinking it is the missing piece to a SB.

I hope the Packers are competitive in 2023, but giving away high draft assets and tying up a ton of cap on a Safety, isn't my way of building a very young team for the future.

Gute has been playing it pretty smart so far. He turned a very aging team into a very young one in less than a year. IF his last few years of draft picks pay off AND Love is legit, this team could make another long run of dominating the NFC North and NFC in general.
This is a serious problem. No doubt, the reason front offices and coaches are willing to go this route is to save their jobs. Obviously, if you don't win, you get fired. It's a short window of opportunity. Here's the list of tenure.
  1. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
    23 years | 2000-Present
  2. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
    16 years | 2007-Present
  3. John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
    15 years | 2008-Present
  4. Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
    13 years | 2010-Present
  5. Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
    10 years | 2013-Present
  6. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
    6 years | 2017-Present
  7. Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
    6 years | 2017-Present
  8. Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
    6 years | 2017-Present
  9. Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
    5 years | 2018-Present
  10. Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals*
    4 years | 2019-Present
  11. Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
    4 years | 2019-Present
  12. Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
    4 years | 2019-Present
  13. Ron Rivera, Washington Football Team
    3 years | 2020-Present
  14. Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
    3 years | 2020-Present
  15. Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
    3 years | 2020-Present
  16. Robert Saleh, New York Jets
    2 years | 2021-Present
  17. Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
    2 years | 2021-Present
  18. Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers
    2 years | 2021-Present
  19. Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
    2 years | 2021-Present
  20. Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
    2 years | 2021-Present
  21. Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
    1 year | 2022-Present
  22. Brian Daboll, New York Giants
    1 year | 2022-Present
  23. Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders
    1 year | 2022-Present
  24. Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
    1 year | 2022-Present
  25. Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
    1 year | 2022-Present
  26. Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
    1 year | 2022-Present
  27. Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
    1 year | 2022-Present
  28. Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    1 year | 2022-Present
  29. Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
    First-Year | 2023-Present
  30. DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
    First-year | 2023-Present
  31. Frank *****, Carolina Panthers
  32. Sean Payton | Denver Broncos
Notice that the bottom 12 are either first year or second year head coaches for their teams, in the NFL. Five more have two years under their belt. That means that half the league has changed it's sideline personnel over the last 3 years. Not much tenure there for most HCs. Those with 5 or more years, aren't that high in numbers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is a serious problem. No doubt, the reason front offices and coaches are willing to go this route is to save their jobs. Obviously, if you don't win, you get fired. It's a short window of opportunity. Here's the list of tenure.
  1. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
    23 years | 2000-Present
  2. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
    16 years | 2007-Present
  3. John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
    15 years | 2008-Present
  4. Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
    13 years | 2010-Present
  5. Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
    10 years | 2013-Present
  6. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
    6 years | 2017-Present
  7. Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
    6 years | 2017-Present
  8. Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
    6 years | 2017-Present
  9. Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
    5 years | 2018-Present
  10. Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals*
    4 years | 2019-Present
  11. Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
    4 years | 2019-Present
  12. Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
    4 years | 2019-Present
  13. Ron Rivera, Washington Football Team
    3 years | 2020-Present
  14. Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
    3 years | 2020-Present
  15. Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
    3 years | 2020-Present
  16. Robert Saleh, New York Jets
    2 years | 2021-Present
  17. Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
    2 years | 2021-Present
  18. Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers
    2 years | 2021-Present
  19. Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
    2 years | 2021-Present
  20. Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
    2 years | 2021-Present
  21. Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
    1 year | 2022-Present
  22. Brian Daboll, New York Giants
    1 year | 2022-Present
  23. Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders
    1 year | 2022-Present
  24. Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
    1 year | 2022-Present
  25. Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
    1 year | 2022-Present
  26. Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
    1 year | 2022-Present
  27. Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
    1 year | 2022-Present
  28. Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    1 year | 2022-Present
  29. Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
  30. DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
    First-year | 2023-Present
  31. Frank *****, Carolina Panthers
  32. Sean Payton | Denver Broncos
Notice that the bottom 12 are either first year or second year head coaches for their teams, in the NFL. Five more have two years under their belt. That means that half the league has changed it's sideline personnel over the last 3 years. Not much tenure there for most HCs. Those with 5 or more years, aren't that high in numbers.
Good compilation. Interesting enough, when I looked up "NFL Coaches on the Hotseat in 2023", a lot of the 2nd and 3rd year guys are already on those lists.

NFL coach hot seat rankings​

1. Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  2. Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
  3. Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders
  4. Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers
  5. Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
  6. Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
  7. Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
  8. Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders
  9. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Kind of hard to believe BB is on that list, but without Brady, the Patriots haven't been very good.

Jerry Glanville once said NFL stands for "Not For Long" and that seams to be the case more and more for coaches.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good compilation. Interesting enough, when I looked up "NFL Coaches on the Hotseat in 2023", a lot of the 2nd and 3rd year guys are already on those lists.

NFL coach hot seat rankings​

1. Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  2. Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
  3. Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders
  4. Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers
  5. Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
  6. Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
  7. Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
  8. Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders
  9. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Kind of hard to believe BB is on that list, but without Brady, the Patriots haven't been very good.

Jerry Glanville once said NFL stands for "Not For Long" and that seams to be the case more and more for coaches.
When you think about it, only 15 NFL coaches have over two years as HC with their respective teams. It's all about instant gratification.

Reaction score
Sounds like she needs to stop leaving her Glamour magazine issues in the bathroom!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Don’t be sorry.. I was in the pool! I was in the pool!

When it comes to lasting gratification?
These coaches are either Show-ers ..
or Grow-ers :coffee:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Speaking of shrinkage.. :tup:
the cutdowns are:
There will be one big cut date in the NFL this year: Tuesday, Aug. 29

That’s because the league voted to keep rosters at 90 players through the final preseason game, with a single cut down to 53.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Speaking of shrinkage.. :tup:
the cutdowns are:
There will be one big cut date in the NFL this year: Tuesday, Aug. 29

That’s because the league voted to keep rosters at 90 players through the final preseason game, with a single cut down to 53.
I prefer the method they used last year, which was:
  • August 16: cut from 90 to 85.
  • August 23: cut from 85 to 80.
  • August 30: cut from 80 to 53.
By the 3rd week in August and 1 preseason game, I can't imagine that the Packers don't have at least 5 players that are in no way making the team. Same with a week and another game later. Might give those 160 cut players, on each date, an opportunity to get a tryout with another team. With this new system, 1184 players will be cut on Aug. 29th, with some (512) of them hoping to get signed to a teams practice squad.

The other "negative" IMO, by the 3rd preseason game, there are only a handful of guys on the bubble, I suppose you can choose to play them more, but 90 guys on game day, is a lot of bodies to deal with.

Question, does a team have to carry 90 players until Aug. 29th? Or can they start whittling down the roster sooner?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer the method they used last year, which was:
  • August 16: cut from 90 to 85.
  • August 23: cut from 85 to 80.
  • August 30: cut from 80 to 53.
By the 3rd week in August and 1 preseason game, I can't imagine that the Packers don't have at least 5 players that are in no way making the team. Same with a week and another game later. Might give those 160 cut players, on each date, an opportunity to get a tryout with another team. With this new system, 1184 players will be cut on Aug. 29th, with some (512) of them hoping to get signed to a teams practice squad.

The other "negative" IMO, by the 3rd preseason game, there are only a handful of guys on the bubble, I suppose you can choose to play them more, but 90 guys on game day, is a lot of bodies to deal with.

Question, does a team have to carry 90 players until Aug. 29th? Or can they start whittling down the roster sooner?
A lot of teams will be under that number, so they can sign someone they find out there, that someone else has dumped. I think the Packers reserved about 3 spots during last year's transition period.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
90 players (or 91 in the Packers case) is a maximum. There is an in season minimum but other than that there is no minimum number of players. I expect a few respected vets to be released around the league a few days earlier than cutdown day if they aren't staying with their current team. Teams attempt to let them have the opportunity elsewhere. Think Cobb or Lewis last year if they had been released. Probably even more so this year.

Reaction score
90 players (or 91 in the Packers case) is a maximum. There is an in season minimum but other than that there is no minimum number of players. I expect a few respected vets to be released around the league a few days earlier than cutdown day if they aren't staying with their current team. Teams attempt to let them have the opportunity elsewhere. Think Cobb or Lewis last year if they had been released. Probably even more so this year.
Yeah I guess it makes sense they don’t have to release them all at once.

I could see an advantage of holding several players on longer than last year to get a good look across all 3 PS games. Might not be 91 but they could have 87 going into game 3 etc

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Jace Sternberger, a former third-round pick of the Packers, benefited significantly from McGough’s production. He was arguably the best tight end in the USFL last season, finding the end zone seven times with 517 receiving yards to his name."
Speaking of Sternberger, looks like he will get another chance to try and prove himself in the NFL, the Bills signed him to their roster.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Sternberger, looks like he will get another chance to try and prove himself in the NFL, the Bills signed him to their roster.
Used properly, I thought he was going to be a solid contributor for the Packers. He just got caught in a situation where he was odd man out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Used properly, I thought he was going to be a solid contributor for the Packers. He just got caught in a situation where he was odd man out.

It didn't help him to start his rookie year on IR with a grade 2 ankle sprain, but I kind of think that was more of a roster move to keep other players. He just never seemed to get on track with the Packers or any other NFL team for that matter. He might have a shot to make the Bills, they have starter Dawson Knox and used a 1st rounder on Dalton Kincaid, so those 2 are locks. For now, he will only be competing against former Packer Guggemos, Joel Wilson and Quinton Morris.

Reaction score
I think each player has their own developmental timetable. Jace was one of those players who needed an extra year or two. I think his ceiling is sorta medium, but I could see him as a TE3-4 that can come in a produce adequately on short notice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think each player has their own developmental timetable. Jace was one of those players who needed an extra year or two. I think his ceiling is sorta medium, but I could see him as a TE3-4 that can come in a produce adequately on short notice.
I wish Jace all the best, but I just don't think he is NFL quality.

All I can add is that the 3rd round has just been brutal on Gute and the Packers, let's hope Tucker Kraft finally works out.

2018 - Oren Burks
2019 - Jace Sternberger
2020 - Josiah Deguara
2021 - Amari Rodgers
2022 - Sean Rhyan
2023 - Tucker Kraft

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive picks in the third specifically have been his Achilles, Oren wasn’t terrible truthfully and has cemented himself as an upper level ST guy that NFL wants. Granted third round is arguably salty for that, but I’d bet even if just a fourth people wouldn’t bat an eye at saying value was there.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there were a lot of people who were really down on him when actually he did not get thrown to very often. I'll have to see if he is gunshy.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A state of Wisconsin connection. Was visiting family when he got the invite to try out with the QB they were interested in seeing.

Any other year I'd be gently excited for a PS stache on him...but while he is sub 4.4 forty and has produced...we are riddled with young athletic guys in that room...long shot, but we've seen it before.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Linebacker Tariq Carpenter and safety Tarvarius Moore were both placed on the non-football injury list, according to the league transaction report. Both players participated in the voluntary offseason program, so it’s likely that the injuries occurred away from the facility.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a camp arm. I'd be shocked if that guy makes the roster. I'm guessing PS at best.
Only way he makes PS is if Etling or the kid from Penn State DON'T make the team...not keeping Etling would be a huge mistake, and cutting the kid from State would just prove Gutey doesn't understand the draft.