Studs n duds Vikings

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
D, but RUN D especially
penalties and refs( a couple inconsistent PI calls)

Inbetween
Couple of ESB drops, but couple of good catches

Studs
AR
DA
rest of O generally ok, can't think of anything really good or bad from them

ESB HAD 1 catch to go along with his drops although I didn't see the one in the EZ well enough to call it a drop. He had his hands on it I think and probably could have caught it but a drop...I don't know. I'd call his first one a drop for sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Dud: Opening this thread up before Shoutbox regulars have passed out from drinking too much and/or hyper-ventilating.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So then the problem isn't schematic, it's just a woefully bad rush defense which isn't likely to improve this season with our existing personnel.

Yep. At least against this particular offense, that’s pretty much right.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. At least against this particular offense, that’s pretty much right.

After seeing the 49ers run at will in the NFCCG and render us helpless to stop it, I'm still baffled as to how we we made no personnel moves to fix this in the offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After seeing the 49ers run at will in the NFCCG and render us helpless to stop it, I'm still baffled as to how we we made no personnel moves to fix this in the offseason.

Somewhere in New York, Blake Martinez is laughing tonight.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We panicked, started passing, nobody could get open against the Vikings 4th string secondary. Then, we couldn't run anymore. We looked like crap. Get a good def coord.

I suppose once MLF realized his defense couldn't stop Cook I'm not surprised we panicked. :(

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESB HAD 1 catch to go along with his drops although I didn't see the one in the EZ well enough to call it a drop. He had his hands on it I think and probably could have caught it but a drop...I don't know. I'd call his first one a drop for sure.
The endzone miss would have been a pretty good catch. That first down drop needs to be made with regularity by a legit NFL receiver that wants to have a long career. he did have a nice catch later. Maybe he just has a few to work out of his system. Maybe he's never going to be more than he is.

D

Deleted member 6794

I said it 2 weeks ago- no preseason and now teams found their grooves

Aside of the Packers defense that is.

No way. They had safeties playing corner and practice squad guys playing throughout the game. Adams torches double-teams all the time. He didn't play to his abilities. I never said he was a dud, but definitely no stud either except for that third TD. Other than that, he was JAG.

The Vikings made it their top priority to slow down Adams by all means with Smith and Harris providing help to their inexperienced cornerbacks.

The Packers weren't able to take advantage of it because they don't have another legit weapon at receiver. I fully expect other teams to follow that blueprint.

Pettine has been using him as a DB all season long. That alone is a fireable offense. Maybe if Pettine used him the way he should be used, the run defense wouldn't be as pathetic as it is.

The Smiths struggle in run defense when lined up on the edges as well though.

He did in the first half but I don't recall us having much success in the second half. I might be mistaken...

The Packers didn't run the ball that much in the second half anymore, totaling only seven attempts.

Pettine used base defense for 39/52 snaps.

That doesn't mean they loaded the box to stop the run though.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won’t they have no money and one guy ain’t gonna help the defense what you see is what you unfortunely get

One guy could be enough to help the run D, that IS our biggest problem

Only 1? thought he had another 1 or 2. the drops were bad, but the one catch i remember was good, AR put it in a really tight window and he caught it well

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love Jim Morra's honesty! If we could only get politicians to be this forthright!
Playoffs!? Don't talk about playoffs! You kidding me!? Playoffs!? I just hope we can win a game! Another game! XD

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
D, but RUN D especially

Inbetween

Studs
AR
DA

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now is the time to improve the defense. Should the Packers make a serious run for the Jets Quinten Williams?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Endzone one was 50/50 ball and defender got hand in there, I'd give DB a breakup on it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now is the time to improve the defense. Should the Packers make a serious run for the Jets Quinten Williams?

Highly doubtful. All the talk I'm seeing, on NFL Network and everywhere else, is how serious the Packers are about Fuller.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This buffers everyone's argument on the fire Pettine bandwagon.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhere in New York, Blake Martinez is laughing tonight.
I like our two young linebackers more than Martinez. I think they need to be coached up some. Especially Barnes, for learning when and where to hit a hole. And I don't have much confidence in our coaches to show the way.

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
D, but RUN D especially

Inbetween

Studs
AR
DA
Look to the Jets for a Quinnen Williams trade. Playing him alongside Kenny would significantly improve the run defense.