Studs n duds Vikings

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other news I just saw that apparently Green Bay made a new offer for will fuller. No details yet.
Has been said that they are asking for a 2-3 round pick and a late round. Apparently gutekunst is at the 4th round pick. Take it with a grain of salt
But the beat writer for the Texans is pretty credible and has good sources.

However, as many of us have been saying this team's main obstacle between having a legitimate chance at the SB and not isn't our WRs....albeit I'm a HUGE fan of bringing Fuller in - sucks it will be a one year rental but whatever....the real obstacle is the fact as @Dantés pointed out we CANNOT stop offenses like Rams run, 49ers run, Minnesota ran yesterday...add Julio Jones and Fuller to our WR room, it doesn't do anything to help this defense with HOLES.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few Packer fan would like it and I doubt he does it, but he could even go the opposite direction and see that this team really is short some key parts. How would fans react if he got an offer of a first round pick for Aaron Jones?

If someone threw us a 1st rounder for Jones, depending what team I'd 100% take it IF they don't plan on resigning - which contrary to what we will hear I 100% believe Gute and Co know precisely where they stand on Jones.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are missed tackles tracked? I'd be very curious if this is true?

Why we ever kept these 2 and didn't upgrade that position is ALL on Gutey IMO. :tdown:

This. Lowry and Lancaster are one-dimensional, situational backup caliber players. Basically, just JAGs. Yet, for a second year in a row, they're your starters on the defensive line . Unacceptable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We must remember Lowry's extension is the perfect example of roll the dice type contract...he was trending upward, we rolled the dice that would continue - and....it did not. Had he progressed it would have been labeled a GENIUS move.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone threw us a 1st rounder for Jones, depending what team I'd 100% take it IF they don't plan on resigning - which contrary to what we will hear I 100% believe Gute and Co know precisely where they stand on Jones.
I would take it too but no one will because Green Bay is gonna let him walk no reason to believe otherwise...

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, as many of us have been saying this team's main obstacle between having a legitimate chance at the SB and not isn't our WRs....albeit I'm a HUGE fan of bringing Fuller in - sucks it will be a one year rental but whatever....the real obstacle is the fact as @Dantés pointed out we CANNOT stop offenses like Rams run, 49ers run, Minnesota ran yesterday...add Julio Jones and Fuller to our WR room, it doesn't do anything to help this defense with HOLES.
I would make that trade I guess he would help and yes a one year rental I guess it depends is he worth a second rounder? A third for sure cuz If he balls out they could get a 3rd comp back for him they would get a 4th back idk knowing Green Bay I doubt they make a move...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We must remember Lowry's extension is the perfect example of roll the dice type contract...he was trending upward, we rolled the dice that would continue - and....it did not. Had he progressed it would have been labeled a GENIUS move.

Remind me again why management/front office types get the big bucks. Most of us could tell whether a player has been getting better or not. It's someone with a feel for whether they're going to progress or not who earns their obscene salary, so just rolling dice isn't going to cut it.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other news I just saw that apparently Green Bay made a new offer for will fuller. No details yet.
Has been said that they are asking for a 2-3 round pick and a late round. Apparently gutekunst is at the 4th round pick. Take it with a grain of salt
But the beat writer for the Texans is pretty credible and has good sources.

That would be nice but we need more help on defense right now IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remind me again why management/front office types get the big bucks. Most of us could tell whether a player has been getting better or not. It's someone with a feel for whether they're going to progress or not who earns their obscene salary, so just rolling dice isn't going to cut it.

You are getting caught too much on the "roll the dice" expression I used and chose. Lowry from all eyes, stats and film was illustrating serious projection to being a solid player up front for us.

That however, did NOT work out.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I think in the case of Lowery and a few other resigns in the past, it was the perfect storm. He had just had a what appeared to be an improved and developmental year under new DC Pettine and the Packers found themselves without many good options on the DL, due to striking out on other draft picks or Free Agents. While he didn't break the bank, the $20.32 M 3 year deal, in hindsight was a bad investment and the Packers should have invested it in a different FA DL, but then again, look at Wilkerson.

You win some, you lose some.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Pick your poison though. The Packers don't have enough resources to throw at multiple trades and if they did, they would be mortgaging the future for what I would call an all in 2020 season. So if you only have one round in the chamber AND you want to fire it, do you go WR or DL? I would be more confident in an improved offense winning a track meet, than I would an improved defense keeping the score close enough for the current offense to score enough against a solid defense to win. The Packer offense couldn't even continue what they started in the first half yesterday and fizzled out against what I would call an average defense. I also think we are short multiple pieces on defense (DL, ILB, CB)

One thing was made clear yesterday, no matter if our defense is rested (first half) or tired (second half) it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh Boy.....AJ Dillon tested positive for COVID today.....wonder who else?

Fasten your seatbelts Packer (and Viking) fans.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now is the time to improve the defense. Should the Packers make a serious run for the Jets Quinten Williams?

Could you please explain why on the earth the Jets would be interested in trading Williams???

I’m so glad they didn’t resign Martinez he padded stats and 95 percent of the time making tackles 13 yards down the field.. he never made plays a few charity picks here and there tho lol Barnes and Martin are useful but it still makes me sick when they could have taken Patrick Queen.. all these players turning to be pro bowlers who they could have had. Tj watt... t white.. and they get stuck with king..

Tre'Davious White was drafted before the Packers traded back in the 2017 draft.

ENow that I look at Fuller's contract, I would be a bit hesitant on the trade. He is in his final year of his rookie deal. What would it take to resign him?

To be precise, Fuller is currently playing on the fifth year option, earning more than $10 million this season. The Packers would take a cap hit of $5.38 million for this season by acquiring him. I have no idea what it might take to re-sign him in the offseason.

The Packers would improve their chances of outscoring opponents their defense can't stop by adding a second legit wide receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be precise, Fuller is currently playing on the fifth year option, earning more than $10 million this season. The Packers would take a cap hit of $5.38 million for this season by acquiring him. I have no idea what it might take to re-sign him in the offseason.

Yup, that is the negative aspect that makes me pump the brakes. You are getting a guy for less than half a season and who knows how long he takes to acclimate to Rodgers and the offense. Meanwhile, you probably are going to have to shell out quite a bit of money to keep him beyond this season. The silver lining, you might get a 2022 comp pick if you let him walk and given the fact that he is stuck behind some really good WR's in Texas, I think his potential hasn't been fully tapped and next contract might be cheaper than what he could be worth. So tough call..tick tock though....no trade announced yet.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oddly / weirdly, I felt a little bit better about the Minnesota debacle after watching Good Morning Football on Monday morning.

The one fella pointed out that the Packers drafted offense 1-2-3 including drafting a QB who probably won't play for several years.

Let Blake Martinez walk and did "essentially nothing" to bolster the porous run defense.

Is anybody SURPRISED this team is where it is right now? I guess I no longer am.

AR12 and DA17 combine for three touchdowns and that should be enough to win (maybe add a field goal or two) if the Packers could field any semblance of run defense.

Now it looks like Tyler Ervin and Dexter Williams in the backfield vs San Francisco.

Useless MVS and ESB.

Frustrating.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The one fella pointed out that the Packers drafted offense 1-2-3 including drafting a QB who probably won't play for several years.

Let Blake Martinez walk and did "essentially nothing" to bolster the porous run defense.

Is anybody SURPRISED this team is where it is right now? I guess I no longer am.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when the Packers were 5-1, but looked at the teams they beat to get there and it made sense. I expected 5-3 or maybe 4-4 at the midpoint of the season. During the offseason, Gute was totally banking on the success of last season plus development. We did have an awesome season at 14-2, in the standings, but I don't think we were as good of a 14-2 team as some thought we were. He barely did anything in Free Agency and basically drafted for the future. I think he totally guessed wrong on the development of the receiving group, the DL players and really he should have addressed the present and future of the CB position.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, my bad. I had penciled in that 37-8 nail biter against the 49'ers as a W. :whistling:

Yah, I get it.

But we should all remember the Packers are 18-5 in the regular season so far under MLF, so how bad can it possibly be?

We all want another Super Bowl victory, nobody more than me.

Blessed to see SB1 and SB2 under the great Vince Lombardi, then the Favre years and that Super Bowl, and of course AR12.

I don't know if I can wait another ten years for another one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But we should all remember the Packers are 18-5 in the regular season so far under MLF, so how bad can it possibly be?

I don't think the Packers are in as dire straights or as bad as some suddenly think that they are or aren't every time the wind changes directions. However, I also don't think they are elite or Super Bowl caliber.

All that said, they are one injury away from becoming a below average team and that injury would be to #12. 2017 should be enough proof of that and I don't think we are any better at #2 QB or overall depth than that season either.

I could also see a scenario where the Packers get healthy, see some modest improvement from their younger players and go on a nice streak and win a SB. I think the chances of the bad case scenario are higher than the good case scenario.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Preston smith lining up at corner is the dumbest thing I have ever seen like wtf please tell me I’m not the only one that saw that...

I am not one to defend Pettine, but on these plays GB was in man coverage and the TE went in motion wide. Minn ran inside after Preston was out of the area.

So it seems to me that Minn predicted GB's defense and that GB's defense couldn't switch out of the disadvantageous situation.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: the GM

Nothing new here: no receiver after Adams, weak run defense. Everybody saw these a year ago, and nothing was done to fix either one. Kirksey? Funches? Does anyone consider these adequate improvements?

D

Deleted member 6794

Dud: the GM

Nothing new here: no receiver after Adams, weak run defense. Everybody saw these a year ago, and nothing was done to fix either one. Kirksey? Funches? Does anyone consider these adequate improvements?

I was OK with Gutekunst's moves in free agency as the Packers didn't have a ton of cap space available. He completely botched this year's draft to improve the current team though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He completely botched this year's draft to improve the current team though.

While I agree with you that his draft to date hasn't done much to improve the 2020 team and the injury to Deguara didn't help either, but I view that draft as more of a way to improve the 2021 and beyond teams. Not all drafts and/or picks are instant fixes to your team, whether you were attempting to or not. Patience with draft picks is our friend this year.

Members online

Latest posts