Vikings studs n duds

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just some random thoughts.

What a great game! I thought that Love was outstanding and I'm continually surprised at how well he is doing.

Jones ran for over 100 yards. I don't think he has done that all season.

I can't say enough about Reed and Melton. I hope that Reed has not injured himself further. These rookie receivers have really been stepping up and filling in the gaps.

Preston Smith also played a great game and Clark gets an honorable mention. I thought the defense over all played fairly well. For the most part they kept Jefferson in check. But with the back-up QB's back-ups it wasn't much of a challenge. I sure hope LaFleur has the guts to let Barry go at the end of the season.

One last thing. I'm probably the only one who is not thrilled with the idea of going into the playoffs. I don't think we're good enough to go anywhere. We're too banged up and inexperienced.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hawk was a second rounder - his hate groups would be nearly non-existent. Shoot even late first round and he isn't thought of with as much ill. Dude was solid and consistent.
Amen. Hawk's legacy IMO is that he was a victim of his draft position. People expect so much more from the #5 ( I think) overall so that when he doesn't become an uberstud his actual accomplishments are denigrated. Expectations are naturally higher for higher picks but as far as I am concerned where you are drafted ceases to matter on the following Monday.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What a great game! I thought that Love was outstanding and I'm continually surprised at how well he is doing.

I can't say enough about Reed and Melton. I hope that Reed has not injured himself further. These rookie receivers have really been stepping up and filling in the gaps.

Preston Smith also played a great game and Clark gets an honorable mention. I thought the defense over all played fairly well. For the most part they kept Jefferson in check. But with the back-up QB's back-ups it wasn't much of a challenge. I sure hope LaFleur has the guts to let Barry go at the end of the season.

One last thing. I'm probably the only one who is not thrilled with the idea of going into the playoffs. I don't think we're good enough to go anywhere. We're too banged up and inexperienced.
As far as not being thrilled for the playoffs I think this season is different than those where we were 1 and done or failed miserably in the past. The main reason is expectations. Almost no one seriously expected the Packers to sniff the playoffs. Sure there were a few who were predicting double digit wins and an appearance but I wonder how many of those would have been so bold if there had been actual repercussions or accountability. I doubt many of those people would have put money on their bold predictions.

Second I think a victory on Sunday even if it means an early exit the following week would do wonders for a young team's confidence going into next season.

Then there are those who probably would have preferred we keep losing after that first game against the vikings so we would be getting a top 5 pick. They won't admit it but I'm sure they are out there.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we'll see how it goes. They already had their fate in their own hands and blew it. Maybe this time we continue forward. The bears have been playing very good. If we continue playing well...who knows?

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen. Hawk's legacy IMO is that he was a victim of his draft position. People expect so much more from the #5 ( I think) overall so that when he doesn't become an uberstud his actual accomplishments are denigrated. Expectations are naturally higher for higher picks but as far as I am concerned where you are drafted ceases to matter on the following Monday.
Wish I could access "like" button, but I might be too new. But, I agree with your assessment.

I looked at Hawk's Wiki entry and I feel bad that I didn't appreciate him more while he was playing.
He was an iron man. 10 regular seasons with the Packers, played 16 games in nine of those seasons and 14 in one.
He was a steady, high performer. Tackling machine. Just never made a Pro Bowl.

Without question, Hawk belongs in the Packers Hall of Fame.

Reaction score
Well, we'll see how it goes. They already had their fate in their own hands and blew it. Maybe this time we continue forward. The bears have been playing very good. If we continue playing well...who knows?
Amen. Here’s the thing @gopkrs
We have absolutely no business being in the playoffs. We are possibly the youngest Offensive Team in SB history and getting better by the day. We’re like Robin Hood with a legit following. I see it around the media the tune has changed.

Last edited:

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thrilled this incredibly young team is getting some real high-stakes football under their belts. I don't expect a ton of sustained postseason success at this point, even if they make it past the Bears, but the more they get used to living with real stakes, the more they can build a culture and environment of playing and winning under pressure. Iron sharpeneth iron and all that, y'know

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team is banged up. How else are they supposed to get experience? We've won the SB as the 6 Seed before...

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Hawk is the kind of player that could have been so impactful at the Pro Level. Off-the-ball linebackers need to be coverage players most of the time, not blitzers. By the time we'd got Capers, Hawk was already a touch slower than he was in college. Or he was just faster than most college players and was slightly exposed at the Pro level, I'm not sure.

Quay has the potential to be a bigger impact player, just because of his physical attributes. Still has to get better at the other parts, he he's fast enough thought to match up with the Reggie Bushes of the world.
You are probably correct. I thought Hawk would be like Clowney. The media and Kiper played him up at OSU. And he was seen on national TV in the bowl game. Highlight films of a few big plays do not always show the true pucture.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It does make it good when you have Wicks and Watson out and Melton can come in and play. Goodness! In one game he did more than high pick Amari Rodgers ever did.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does make it good when you have Wicks and Watson out and Melton can come in and play. Goodness! In one game he did more than high pick Amari Rodgers ever did.
He did more in one game than anyone has this year on our team….love the kid but let’s ease up on the Amari shots cuz could be said even about Reed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m sorry but not being thrilled about making the playoffs is just insane talk. Get out of here with that. The experience alone for so many young guys being there could be IMMENSE in the future regardless of how it goes.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m sorry but not being thrilled about making the playoffs is just insane talk. Get out of here with that. The experience alone for so many young guys being there could be IMMENSE in the future regardless of how it goes.
Agreed. As long as we don't get on the losing end of this list:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as not being thrilled for the playoffs I think this season is different than those where we were 1 and done or failed miserably in the past. The main reason is expectations. Almost no one seriously expected the Packers to sniff the playoffs. Sure there were a few who were predicting double digit wins and an appearance but I wonder how many of those would have been so bold if there had been actual repercussions or accountability. I doubt many of those people would have put money on their bold predictions.

Second I think a victory on Sunday even if it means an early exit the following week would do wonders for a young team's confidence going into next season.

Then there are those who probably would have preferred we keep losing after that first game against the vikings so we would be getting a top 5 pick. They won't admit it but I'm sure they are out there.
Well said. Winning is preferable to losing. ALWAYS!

Reaction score
Every team is banged up. How else are they supposed to get experience? We've won the SB as the 6 Seed before...
Well that’s true also, but I understand her sentiment though. You both are correct. We are a dynamic team but still somewhat unstable. Which team shows up? We can go toe to toe with everyone except maybe Baltimore, but we can only go pinky to pinky with Carolina.

As you said once you make the postseason the season kinda starts over. If we get through next week healthy and Win? We’re talking about getting back Musgrave, Wicks, Campbell, J’aire, Stokes, Emmanuel Wilson and Watson. Those might not all be Probowl players, but a few of that grouping could easily breakout into Probowl level play. Just having #33 back healthy changes our complexity.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that’s true also, but I understand her sentiment though. You both are correct. We are a dynamic team but still somewhat unstable. Which team shows up? We can go toe to toe with everyone except maybe Baltimore, but we can only go pinky to pinky with Carolina.

As you said once you make the postseason the season kinda starts over. If we get through next week healthy and Win? We’re talking about getting back Musgrave, Wicks, Campbell, J’aire, Stokes, Emmanuel Wilson and Watson. Those might not all be Probowl players, but a few of that grouping could easily breakout into Probowl level play. Just having #33 back healthy changes our complexity.
I think most of those guys will be back against the Bears. The playoffs have already begun for us.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Stokes is IR'd and won't be back before the NFCCG in Dallas. I doubt Wilson plays anymore this season barring others injury.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MLF just has orchestrate a way to win the game. Do not play desperate. Do not try to make a statement. In the win loss column the Carolina game looks as glossy as the Viking one. And at the end of Sunday that will be all that matters.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they make it, then don't watch. Pretend they didn't.

While GB would obviously be a huge underdog in any playoff game, I'd give them a puncher's chance to upset a dome team on the road (Dallas? Detroit?). Jordan Love playing with house money in a controlled environment...He's a cool customer, and that can be a scary thing to a heavy favorite.

Members online

Latest posts