Studs n duds New Orleans

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They roll coverage to Davante every game. He still makes catches, which tells me MVS is very much an inferior player.

LOL um....yes Madden he is not one of the best WRs in the game at the moment...correct.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and yet NO was worried enough about him taking the top off, they shaded coverage to him opening up everyone else. I don't care how people help this team, as long as they do. If all MVS does is catch 2 balls a game and every game or two he gets a big one and it keeps teams paying attention to him, that's valuable.

I think MVS's speed is what concerns other teams' DCs.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About the uncatchable pass. The refs very rarely call uncatchable. In fact, I can't recall seeing one for a long time. That one seemed really uncatchable, but they just don't call it. They give the receivers Superman status when they are interfered with.
The one "drop" by Lazard. That ball had so much steam. It would have been very difficult to catch it imho.

NO was flagged for DPI but that ball was so far over our WR's head (I can't recall who) and out of bounds the ref had no business throwing a flag there. Officiating in that game left a lot to be desired...

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They roll coverage to Davante every game. He still makes catches, which tells me MVS is very much an inferior player.

You mean MVS isn't as good as a top 10 WR?!

Color me shocked!

New Orleans tried to limit the Packers two most explosive players. One of them was MVS. Teams don't do that to inferior players.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
So then apply same logic to Kamara
Well I can’t do that LTF, Kamara is not in every play and when he is defenses have 2 looks at him stop him on the ground or maybe a pass, now don’t get me wrong these are very tough things for a D to do, but I think Rodgers is a bigger threat because he can cover more ground quicker than Kamara can and can probably do it more often

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I can’t do that LTF, Kamara is not in every play and when he is defenses have 2 looks at him stop him on the ground or maybe a pass, now don’t get me wrong these are very tough things for a D to do, but I think Rodgers is a bigger threat because he can cover more ground quicker than Kamara can and can probably do it more often
Just trying play devils advocate in explaining why its hard to stop a true star

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Just trying play devils advocate in explaining why its hard to stop a true star
No problemo just a question LTF? I’m curious, who are the bots in the Shoutbox? and do they or it makes comments? Just wanted to know, if it’s private that’s ok

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Rodgers, Lazard, Z. Smith. The OL
Quasi-Dud: The defense at times. In particular on Kamara's run. No one could tackle him.

The way that Kamara was running all over the field, I thought it would be a shoot-out and I wasn't thinking positively about the outcome. Oh me of little faith. The Hill fumble was the turning point of the game. When he was sitting next to Brees on the sideline, it looked like Brees didn't want to have anything to do with him. I felt kinda bad for him...well not really but he helped out his old team and I thank him for it.

The offense was hot again. Lazard is definitely our #2. I been expecting MVS to get the long balls and was surprised to see that it was Lazard. I'm not sure how many yards Jones got but between him and Williams the run game kept going.

I am not one to mention the refs, but they seemed to be definitely on our side for a change. A couple of those penalties against the Saints, IMO were not fouls.

3-0. So far they have not been ugly wins, they have been dominant wins. Go Pack Go

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean MVS isn't as good as a top 10 WR?!

Color me shocked!

New Orleans tried to limit the Packers two most explosive players. One of them was MVS. Teams don't do that to inferior players.

Tell me again what MVS has accomplished as he enters his 3rd year? If MVS is one of our two most explosive players, we're in trouble.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers
Jones
Jenkins
Turner
Lazard
Tonyan
Sternberger
Garvin
Z. Smith
Alexander
Savage
Refs

Duds:
Patrick
MVS
Lancaster
Adams
Pettine

This was my first time watching the Packers due to being on assignment. I'll give the defense an incomplete grade due to Clark being absent and Gary I believe left this game as well. But I knew after the Draft that after not addressing the DL, we were one Clark injury away from being the NFCCG all over again. Lancaster seemed like he was holding on for dear life and Adams did next to nothing. Lowry as a complimentary player had no help. I was hoping Garvin would have had maybe some chances to play along the DL as well but I'm not sure where he's at weight wise but he definitely seemed to show a knack for collapsing the pocket. It's a good thing that we were up against Kamara and Murray and not Kamara and Ingram from yesteryear, or we would have been gashed; granted Murray did some damage in his own right.

For the offense I thought it looked pretty good, I don't think I saw any Rodgers frustrated shots downfield. MVS still looks to be not on the same page as Rodgers at all....maybe he's just a poor route runner. I didn't like the RB rotation at all, would have liked to see Dillon but I understand that the gameplan may not have called for him. Tonyan looks like a starting TE, didn't see much of Lewis so hopefully this is his farewell tour and we allocate that money for a spot elsewhere. Sternberger seemed to add value when he was in as well. I'd like to see a better effort from the OL but I expect an improvement as the Saints have as stout a front seven as anyone.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell me again what MVS has accomplished as he enters his 3rd year? If MVS is one of our two most explosive players, we're in trouble.

Explosive enough that NO kept shifting coverage to him despite Lazard going off for 140 yards and even though they were on there way to giving up 37 points decided not to change their coverage scheme...... Yep trouble

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explosive enough that NO kept shifting coverage to him despite Lazard going off for 140 yards and even though they were on there way to giving up 37 points decided not to change their coverage scheme...... Yep trouble

I think MVS is our Marquise Goodwin. He won't do much underneath, but if you need a 50+ yard play, he's the guy....for the most part.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wanted to talk about one dud play imo by Tonyon (who I am very happy to see getting involved). I was re-watching and on the first TD pass to Lazard; Lazard was going left to right in the middle of the end zone. And Tonyan was going out for a short pass in the right side of the field. Thing is, while Tonyon was going out for his pass...1. he was tightly covered but 2. There was a New Orleans linebacker coming in to rush Rodgers, a free run at him. Well Tonyon did not know Lazard was open, but he did know the rusher had a free run at ARod and that he would not be open, and still he sidestepped the pass rusher and just let him go. If Lazard had not been wide open; the linebacker could have sacked him. Tonyon imo should have broke off his route which was covered anyway, and blocked the guy. Then Rodgers would have had a lot of time. Just an example of when a receiver should cut off his route as called and do something that significantly could affect the play. All in all loved the way the TEs played. It looks like all three have good hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.