Ravens studs and duds

Reaction score
Studs:
I was unable to watch the game due to celebrating the Holiday with the in-Laws..but thank You Lord for protecting me from that carnage

Duds:
I’m looking at the play by play and we were playing adequate Defense and moving the ball?
How does an Offense put up over 300+Yards and statistically outperform the opposing Offense (not just in garbage time)and lose 0-23?
That’s gotta set some sort of record or something?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:
I’m looking at the play by play and we were playing adequate Defense and moving the ball?
How does an Offense put up over 300+Yards and statistically outperform the opposing Offense (not just in garbage time)and lose 0-23?
That’s gotta set some sort of record or something?
There where some good plays, but our qb play is far too inconsistent. We started in bad field position a lot, and long scoring drives just aren't going to happen when you have a qb that still takes sacks on screen plays or loses 20 yards avoiding a rush he didn't have to avoid. Toss in a handful of turnovers and this offense, specifically the qb couldn't get out of his own way at times.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Defense actually played solid and respectable. Not much of a chance when the Ravens get great field position all the time. Held them to field goals, and got the ball back plenty of times for Brett to drive. He just refused.

Duds: Brett Hundley....seriously the worst QB performance I've ever seen out of a Packer. Worse than other Brett in St. Louis playoff game. Mike McCarthy, man is clueless. Special Teams. Horrific coverage. Mays...hold on to the friggin ball.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with you on the fact that Brett Hundley stunk today and respect your disagree with my statement of "Not much out on the field today made me think, this is all on Brett Hundley", I didn't see anybody else on the Packers step up and do anything that special today. Pin the loss on Hundley being in there instead of Rodgers, but the only way this current team is good, is to have #12 on the field.

What other QB today wins that game for the Packers today? Flacco wouldn't have, unless he was up against the Packer defense. Maybe Tom Brady?
I actually disagree with that too. I think most QBs in the league would have won against the Ravens today. The defense actually played pretty well (still want Capers fired btw) Adams and Nelson caught what was actually thrown to them, the running game, while not great, was making mostly positive yardage. The simple fact is that Hundley self destructed every drive with either a fumble, interception, stupid sack, or completely useless throw (even throw intentional grounding into the mix). I'm not going to blame anyone for Derrick Mayes and his two fumbles... he was on the practice squad last week... and certainly hasn't earned the right to stay. Aaron jones was looking pretty good before his injury, and Montgomery, while he may not be that answer long term would certainly have been better than Mayes. Having both Clark and Mathews getting injured is not good, but again not McCarthy or even Thompson's fault.

I am as frustrated as anyone about the way things are going, but I really think people underestimate the importance of the QB in an NFL game. If you have a good one you will be mostly successful... have a bad one you will be the Browns ..or ....the current Green Bay Packers. Yes there have been exceptions where teams win with an average to below average QB. These teams are built around smothering defenses, but even then the QB is typically a game manager that make few mistakes even if they don't make spectacular plays. This is not Hundley... he can't manage anything, but he certainly does a good job of giving the other team unlimited chances.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering he didn't even throw a guy that quit on the coaches, the team and the community under a bus, he's not going to say anything other than something that stands up for the guys.

I'm sure he has an idea of what is wrong with humdleya game, and all that matters is they perform. For weeks we hear he just needs to let him play. Today we had 2 RBs and one fumbled and lost it his first ever carry and the other 2 were inactive. Supposed to call a run heavy game today?

There were open receivers missed again today. There where plays made even. But he always was sure to kill that eventually lol.

I guess on a positive note, at least Hundley stopped running 20 yards back to avoid a pass rusher who had already been pushed wide and 10uards past the LOS.
I agree with all of that.... However, after what Hundly has done, if McCarthy doesn't decide enough is enough I will begin to wonder about his decision making. I respect his loyalty to both his coaches and his players, but eventually you have to make some tough decisions. The fact that Capers is still here can be debated, but I personally believe it's been too long. Sticking with Hundley for too much longer doesn't look prudent to me... just stubborn. I like McCarthy, but I not liking the product he is backing.

Reaction score
The simple fact is that Hundley self destructed every drive with either a fumble, interception, stupid sack, or completely useless throw (even throw intentional grounding into the mix).
I missed the game so I’m actually curious.

How was Hundley protected overall?

And was Spriggs in for Bulaga position the whole game?

I’m also asking because I watched last week where Dak Prescott got mauled with a backup Tackle... literally changed the whole complexion of that game. Was it like that or did he have time and just hold on too long??

H

HardRightEdge

I hope this is an eye opener for those that think Rodgers isn’t the only thing that keeps us competitive every year. Without Rodgers we would be a lock for top 3 pick in the draft the past 5 years. Organization needs to be retooled top to bottom starting with TT stepping down and Capers being fired.
It seems the only thing that would light a fire under Murphy's a*s would be if the drop in aftermarket ticket sales leads enough people to say "no thanks" when their turn comes up for season tickets.

Season tickets have been free money for many years. This week you could have gotten aftermarket tickets for less than face value.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

McCray started at right Tackle... Spriggs came in I think after halftime... not sure if McCray was hurt or benched

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems the only thing that would light a fire under Murphy's a*s would be if the drop in aftermarket ticket sales leads enough people to say "no thanks" when their turn comes up for season tickets.

Season tickets have been free money for many years. This week you could have gotten aftermarket tickets for less than face value.
Been along time since Lambeau emptied out like it did today well before the game was over.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m also asking because I watched last week where Dak Prescott got mauled with a backup Tackle... literally changed the whole complexion of that game. Was it like that or did he have time and just hold on too long??
Protection did not look great... but it is hard to judge since Hundly refused to step into the pocket in many occasions... instead he would back up beyond the tackles allowing the edge rushers to sack him deep.... That being said Spriggs didn't look good.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the ppl who defend BH, but you need to shut the hell up. He has thrown more INT's than touchdowns, completed less than 60% of his passes, backpedals consistently in the pocket, and his passes miss the mark more often than not. I understand wanting to look for the best, but he would be replaced by now on any team. When's the last time someone stuck with a QB this bad? (excluding the browns, because, c'mon) The Redskins and Heath Schuler?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the ppl who defend BH, but you need to shut the hell up. He has thrown more INT's than touchdowns, completed less than 60% of his passes, backpedals consistently in the pocket, and his passes miss the mark more often than not. I understand wanting to look for the best, but he would be replaced by now on any team. When's the last time someone stuck with a QB this bad? (excluding the browns, because, c'mon) The Redskins and Heath Schuler?
who is defending Hundley??

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not enough to bother posting about... I think it's about as unanimous as this board will ever get that Hundley ... is not good.
For the most part, you correct. I want him to be pulled, he looked really bad today instead of just bad. He won 1 game against a rookie QB, but lost 2 3/4 of his home games, with a shutout loss today. I don't know what MM sees in him, he looks like trash in my eyes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of that.... However, after what Hundly has done, if McCarthy doesn't decide enough is enough I will begin to wonder about his decision making. I respect his loyalty to both his coaches and his players, but eventually you have to make some tough decisions. The fact that Capers is still here can be debated, but I personally believe it's been too long. Sticking with Hundley for too much longer doesn't look prudent to me... just stubborn. I like McCarthy, but I not liking the product he is backing.
I was never really a Hundley supporter to begin with but I'm not sure who else we go with? I think our post season hopes are pretty much done.

Hundley can drop back and throw, at times :) I mean he can look the part, he wasn't all terrible, but he made some bad decisions out there and then was slow to make others and it snowballed on him. That might be his best. We might not get anything more from him and it's where I'm leaning.

They're going to keep working him though and see if he learns and grows or not. I don't think Callahan offers any more. This past preseason I thought they looked similar in fact. I have a feeling Callahan might be exciting for a few plays, but still be prone to the same drive killing mistakes we're seeing now.

But at the same time, if a Matt Flynn type deal was available, someone with something to offer and familiar with the system, I wouldn't be surprised to see them added. I mean Tolzien threw a great ball, but threw them to the other guys a lot too and they did nt hesitate to bring someone in. I'm just not sure anyone available at this point fits the bill other than being different.

4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't the CBS sideline reporter also mention that when McCarthy came out of the locker room for the second half, he said "That he liked a lot of the things he was seeing out there today". Maybe I misunderstood what she said...but if he did actually say that.....What game was MM watching or was he talking about the Ravens?
ahahahaah

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never really a Hundley supporter to begin with but I'm not sure who else we go with? I think our post season hopes are pretty much done.

Hundley can drop back and throw, at times :) I mean he can look the part, he wasn't all terrible, but he made some bad decisions out there and then was slow to make others and it snowballed on him. That might be his best. We might not get anything more from him and it's where I'm leaning.

They're going to keep working him though and see if he learns and grows or not. I don't think Callahan offers any more. This past preseason I thought they looked similar in fact. I have a feeling Callahan might be exciting for a few plays, but still be prone to the same drive killing mistakes we're seeing now.

But at the same time, if a Matt Flynn type deal was available, someone with something to offer and familiar with the system, I wouldn't be surprised to see them added. I mean Tolzien threw a great ball, but threw them to the other guys a lot too and they did nt hesitate to bring someone in. I'm just not sure anyone available at this point fits the bill other than being different.
Hard to argue with much of that, and I agree with your assessment of Callahan's preseason. However, as you say since the season is pretty much done... I'd like to see him given a chance .... I've seen enough of Hundley

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For those who want to solely blame Hundley for the current state of the Packers, you are playing right into TT and MM's hands.......use #12's injury and replacement with a guy that just didn't have what they thought he had, as the excuse for what is wrong in GB. It will be use Hundley as the scapegoat......and everything else is business as usual. TT's takes a slight hit for putting to much faith in a 5th rounder and he skates into 2018. Just like that loss against Seattle in the NFCCG, fire the scapegoat slocum and we are good again.

Even if you want to just blame Hundley, because yes, right now the guy stinks. How is ultimately responsible for Hundley being out there and looking lost?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
For those who want to solely blame Hundley for the current state of the Packers, you are playing right into TT and MM's hands.......use #12's injury and replacement with a guy that just didn't have what they thought he had, as the excuse for what is wrong in GB. It will be use Hundley as the scapegoat......and everything else is business as usual. TT's takes a slight hit for putting to much faith in a 5th rounder and he skates into 2018. Just like that loss against Seattle in the NFCCG, fire the scapegoat slocum and we are good again.

Even if you want to just blame Hundley, because yes, right now the guy stinks. How is ultimately responsible for Hundley being out there and looking lost?
I do not think he looked lost at all. He was actually running the offense well. He is just one of the poorest decision makers, I have seen since Johnny Manziel got his stint at QB. There is no reason he should hold on to the ball for 6-10 seconds. He had open running lanes, he had open men, the plays were designed to get rid of the football or run. That was the idea. He lost 50 yards in sacks, 50! That's almost more than the ravens rushed all game. It was absolutely embarrassing play by the QB. He threw 3 picks that were GIMMIES to the defense and fumbled. The only play I blame on the coach is running that stupid Wildcat to Randall Cobb. That play has never worked and never will. Other than that, this entire game is because of the guy under center.

When a defense plays lights out with 3 sacks, 8 tackles for loss, 6 QB hits, a pick and holds the opposing offense to under 200 total yards, there is absolutely no reason the final score should be 0-23. Simply embarrassing QB play. Kid has got to go, I mean really. He made the Ravens defense look 20x better than they actually were.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think that the only problem with this team is Brett Hundley, nothing I say will change your mind. This has been talked about since #12 went down. AR may have elevated some of the players games to some extent, but he also totally covered up for an average OL with no depth. Slightly above average WR's. Less than average TE's and RB's. A defense that isn't good. Rodgers even makes MM look like an above average play caller, probably due to the fact that he audibled out of so many plays per game.

Not much out on the field today made me think, this is all on Brett Hundley.

1) If a good QB like Rodgers can make the whole team look better, why isn't the opposite true? Any team would have looked awful yesterday with a QB playing like that.

2) Spriggs is literally their 5th RT with everyone available (Bulaga, Murphy, Barclay, McCray). I'll agree I'd hope Spriggs would be better based on his draft status, but to expect TT to have depth 5 deep is highly unreasonable.