Game 17 - Bears Studs & Duds

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, last thing we need is a qb who holds the record for most Ints in a career. Whoever holds that record must have really sucked.
Too simplified. If you look at his best seasons, those are seasons where he threw 16 or fewer picks. The seasons where he threw more than that we rarely had more than 10 wins.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To me, it looks like he is hooking them to the left. The ball is spinning that way. So why he doesn't aim more to the right I don't know. It's like he aims just a bit right of the left goalpost and then his natural spin takes a left turn.
If you have ever played golf or bowled, you know the answer to this. Sometimes its better to let the mechanics work themselves out, instead of trying to overcorrect and messing everything up. I still think he will be a good kicker, he just needs to keep kicking and get his head firmly around the idea that he can make every kick.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love played about as well as he could have, save the fumble. Aaron Jones is on fire. And honestly, credit to Barry. That’s back to back excellent defensive performances, albeit against not so great QB play.

The only “dud” is that we kept the Bears in the game. If you look at the yardage totals this game shouldn’t have been close, 432 yards to 192. But that’s what happens when you miss a FG, drop two TD passes, and screw up the clock before halftime. Hopefully MLF cleans that up.
That is part of youth. They can race in the car to a big event but get there and realize they forgot their wallet. They were able to get it done yesterday whereas in those first 5 losses those screw ups came back to haunt us. Good teams can win on not so good days.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Jordan
Love finished the season in Pro Bowl like fashion breaking 300 passing and 4,100 yards on the season.

Barry and his Defense: you heard it right.
Holding Chicago to their LOWEST Yards AND Points totals across 17 contests. Total domination of a Bears team that was getting hot before they hit an Iceburg in GB and sunk!
5 sacks -31 yards
4.2 per play
3.0 per rush.
Totally stymied 192 season low yards

Dud: Timeclock mismanagement by Matt.
Kicking Team had an awful day
The Bears Started at:
31, 31, 32, 22, 42, 34
Missed a critical 40 yarder in a low scoring contest
And that 192 even includes the games when Fields was out due to injuries. You would think the Bears could have picked up on the Tampa and Carolina games.
As for kicking Carlson should have boomed several into the end zone unless instructed otherwise. Wind and temp were not a factor. Seems like he needs a few 30 yard chip shots before he can gain confidence to nail a longer one. Not sure why. Going into this one the Cowboys have the edge in the place kicking game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any of you wrote into the local radio station and said they need to trade Watson in the offseason for a kicker, please let me know so I can put you on ignore. I don't need that kind of stupidity in my life (even from a distance)
They are deep at receiver it appears now. But if you trade him do it for a position player. There are plenty of decent kickers.

Reaction score
To me, it looks like he is hooking them to the left. The ball is spinning that way. So why he doesn't aim more to the right I don't know. It's like he aims just a bit right of the left goalpost and then his natural spin takes a left turn.
Kinda like me and golfing :eek:
Studs:
MLF and JB - Dialed up another one. Scheme holding Fields to 25 yards? Crazy.
Love - Way too young to be orchestrating offensive drives like prime Rodgers. Yet, here we are.
Defense - Great discipline in the secondary and wonderful aggression in the trenches and at LB

Duds:
Carlsen - Untimely XP miss; nowhere near ready to launch him though;

MLF and Love - End of Q2. MLF needs basic TO management. Love didn't want to repeat the mistake of throwing the almost-pick in the end zone. So, he threw to the covered receiver in the flat, when he should have just thrown it OB to set up the FG. Live and learn.

Refs - I swear it's almost intentional now. I understand Melton's catch wasn't a TD. But the Chicago WR clearly dropped the slant pass nose down on the ground, and LaFleur properly challenged it, but got overturned. Also, giving the Bears a first down on the 4th down conversion attempt was questionable, but did anyone else notice the camera was just slightly angled? No one at home could get a clear, straight-on view of the measurement, the chain was like two feet away from the ball, and I swear there was still a couple of links of slack in the chain. LOL.
I agree with everything. The only thing I can tell you is I rewatched that play and I could see within 3-6” of where Fields fell. it really was an accurate spot. If it was off? it was off by <6” which gets tedious.
You are correct, it was evident the camera angle was several yards BEHIND the LOS. Which made it appear like there was 2” of slack. I’m near positive if you straightened that angle out perfectly and zoomed in the spot was correct and he made it. It could have went either way but thankfully it didn’t matter.

I’ll just add that Moore didn’t make the catch because the ground pushed the tip of the ball back into his control. That’s exactly what the rule is supposed to avoid. Not sure how they missed that other than to say it was pretty close and maybe not a conclusive camera angle? From one angle it appeared to push against his helmet. The other angle it pushed against the ground. I watched that play 5 times it was weird.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda like me and

I agree with everything. The only thing I can tell you is I rewatched that play and it really was an accurate spot. If it was off it was off by <6” which gets tedious.
You are correct it was evident the camera angle was several yard BEHIND the LOS. Which made it appear like there was 2” of slack. I’m near positive if you straightened that angle out perfectly and zoomed in the spot was correct and he made it. It could have went either way but thankfully it didn’t matter.
Correct. I watched Santos on his 3 FGs. His kicks did move right but he knows his touch. Even his doink made it. Carlson is caught between deciding whether to measure his kick or to drive it. Crosby was similar in his early career but he picked up on it quickly. The kid has the leg but he has to have the touch.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Love, 27 of 32 for 316 and 2 TDs.
Something I saw someone else state somewhere: Take away AJ33s 5 receptions for 30 yards and all the other passes caught and yards gained were by players that had never taken a snap in the NFL before the season began. Doubs dropped his one target before exiting with injury.
Josh Allen
He did the same mess up right before halftime like Love did. No TOs left and hit a receiver that was drilled and stopped in the field of play with no time left for a FG.
Untimely XP miss
I thought it was a FG.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fail to see where Stroud is better. Josh Allen throws too many interceptions. Mahomes is an immature, spoiled, whiny brat. Wouldn't trade for any of those three.
This is the part where it becomes obvious that some people have lost their ******** minds on any kind of objectivity.

You wouldn't trade him for ****in Mahomes?

Been a Love supporter since draft day but put down the pipe.

This is like hearing Bears fans say they would rather have Fields. Just stop

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I fail to see where Stroud is better. Josh Allen throws too many interceptions. Mahomes is an immature, spoiled, whiny brat. Wouldn't trade for any of those three.

Stroud is on the first year of a rookie deal.

It’s hard to take someone seriously who just dismisses Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes that easily.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s hard to take someone seriously who just dismisses Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes that easily.
Okay, let me put it simple to you then. We KNOW the ceiling for those guys. We haven't seen Love's ceiling yet. So, no, I would not trade Love for either of them because we don't fully know what we have in him yet.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, let me put it simple to you then. We KNOW the ceiling for those guys. We haven't seen Love's ceiling yet. So, no, I would not trade Love for either of them because we don't fully know what we have in him yet.
What the **** is that even supposed to mean? lol

We "know" Mahomes ceiling is going to be challenging for GOAT and floor is top 7 ever.

Seriously.

Put...... The..... Pipe..... Down

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the **** is that even supposed to mean? lol

We "know" Mahomes ceiling is going to be challenging for GOAT and floor is top 7 ever.

Love has played better than him this year. He's a whiny drama queen and I've had enough of that crap at the QB position. His hissy fit a month ago was Jr. High stuff.

Put...... The..... Pipe..... Down
Wipe...your....chin.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The part of your post that I 100% agree with is we don't yet know how good Love is going to be, but we can be very confident that the sky is the limit with this guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The part of your post that I 100% agree with is we don't yet know how good Love is going to be, but we can be very confident that the sky is the limit with this guy.
I would also throw in that we are paying Love a LOT less money, at least for now. Which will be a great off-season discussion in the forum. Just how big of a contract will the Packers offer Love and how big of a contract will Love want?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love keeps playing the way he has been, I wouldn't even think about trading him. Every team needs a QB and he is ours. When it comes to QBs; I don't think you can really think about cost or rookie contracts. I really doubt Love would be playing like this if he was a rookie. You hope you have your guy for a career. But so important to have a great O line. I hope we are not on the edge all of the time. It has cost us several playoff games. So strengthen that unit this year in the draft. And then keep thinking about it each draft because you can't hold on to everyone and players get hurt. Right now, I don't think our 2nd stringers are very good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Love keeps playing the way he has been, I wouldn't even think about trading him. Every team needs a QB and he is ours. When it comes to QBs; I don't think you can really think about cost or rookie contracts. I really doubt Love would be playing like this if he was a rookie. You hope you have your guy for a career. But so important to have a great O line. I hope we are not on the edge all of the time. It has cost us several playoff games. So strengthen that unit this year in the draft. And then keep thinking about it each draft because you can't hold on to everyone and players get hurt. Right now, I don't think our 2nd stringers are very good.
I doubt there is a Packer fan, with any common sense, that would ever propose trading Love right now. I don't even think I would trade him for the Bears first 2 picks (#1 and #10) and Justin Fields. Is Love a FHOF QB? Not sure, but I have liked what I have seen in his first year of starting and that was with all pretty green receivers. I do think the Packers will want to lock him in and give him a decent offer, but I hope its packed with incentives and not just another big guaranteed contract that could come back to bite them in the ****.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Their known ceiling is some of the greatest QB play we have ever seen...

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our second stringers have started all year. Now you may be referring to third stringers.

Members online

Latest posts