Official Giants studs n duds

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not gonna be able to watch 2nd half, but so far...

duds...
This quarterback. I don't know who this guy under center is, but it's not Aaron Rodgers.
Richard Rodgers. Have seen him get mauled with just little shoves multiple times. Still a very soft TE.
Jordy. Nice TD grab but otherwise he looks sloppy and unfocused.
SChump. Or w/e this new punter is called.
Special teams "coverage" if you would call it that.
Pass rush is not generating much pressure thus far.

studs...
Offensive line looking great so far.
Eddie running like a freight train.
Davante hasn't done a lot, but he's contributing and looking confident so far tonight.
Gunter is looking solid in his forced first-team duty.

Good luck in the 2nd half!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs OLine, Cobb, Lacy, Rip, Adams, Perry, Fackrell, Dix and the Run defense which is just amazing this season. One thing I didn't understand was Gunter playing press vs OBJ and Cruz but not jamming them? What's the point of playing Press? But he played well overall. Bak holding call was bullspit! He's been playing great. It's games like this that makes me wonder why people hate on him so much. Our Punt game is PooPoo!! There has to be a change at Punter ASAP! Lacy ran great but he tires so quickly it's concerning. Adams is playing his best football thus far hopefully his groin which seemed to bother him is fine same with Cobb after big Landon Collins hit at end of game. Even though our corners struggled at times with OBJ he didnt go off like everyone kept saying. Fackrell is no 1 trick pony as he's been called on this forum, the Giants Tackles aren't anything to brag about but he still shows explosiveness of the edge with relentless pursuit in run game as well. And Finally, could this be a ProBowl season for Perry? If he keeps playing like he is no doubt probowl appearance and higher FA competition for him.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs: D, oline, lacy, nelson, adams, COBB
duds: rodgers and rodgers and punter

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree on Rodgers. Saw a good number of drops or short arms from receivers. He had a lot of time in the pocket but the just wasn't much separation from the receivers. I put it on them mostly. It seemed that Jordy in particular had a bad day except for the TD catch and was looking for calls too much instead of fighting for the ball.

Studs are the O-Line of course and pretty much the entirety of the defense. Besides for letting their TE get completely loose up the seam a few times they really didn't do anything wrong. Eddie played really well before being hurt and Cobb made a bunch of big catches.

Duds are Jordy and the field position management squads. Having a punter that can't break 35 yards a punt combined with returners that just fair catch it 9 out of 10 times means we're typically losing 10, 15, 20 yards in field position on a three and out exchange. That's how the Giants ended up starting several drives at midfield and getting those field goals to hang around. This is something that drastically needs addressing as it's been a problem in each of the first four games. Also their kick returner Harris was constantly getting it out to the 30-35. Our special teams as a whole need work. Last dud is James Starks who really biffed a couple of big plays and almost turned it over there at the end.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree on Rodgers. Saw a good number of drops or short arms from receivers. He had a lot of time in the pocket but the just wasn't much separation from the receivers. I put it on them mostly. It seemed that Jordy in particular had a bad day except for the TD catch and was looking for calls too much instead of fighting for the ball.

Studs are the O-Line of course and pretty much the entirety of the defense. Besides for letting their TE get completely loose up the seam a few times they really didn't do anything wrong. Eddie played really well before being hurt and Cobb made a bunch of big catches.

Duds are Jordy and the field position management squads. Having a punter that can't break 35 yards a punt combined with returners that just fair catch it 9 out of 10 times means we're typically losing 10, 15, 20 yards in field position on a three and out exchange. That's how the Giants ended up starting several drives at midfield and getting those field goals to hang around. This is something that drastically needs addressing as it's been a problem in each of the first four games. Also their kick returner Harris was constantly getting it out to the 30-35. Our special teams as a whole need work. Last dud is James Starks who really biffed a couple of big plays and almost turned it over there at the end.
I have to say that Rodgers did look as inaccurate tonight as I've ever seem him.

Reaction score
Studs: O-Line, Ripkowski, Lacy and Cobb, entire D

Duds: Special Teams for being undisciplined with 3 consecutive fouls to start the second half.
worst Punter I've seen

Last edited:

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say that Rodgers did look as inaccurate tonight as I've ever seem him.

I just didn't see it that way. The second interception was off. But many of the incompletions, even though they weren't plays that were made, were accurately placed. On the drive where we got the field goal to go up to 23, he placed two balls into the end zone for Rodgers and Nelson and both were perfectly placed where no defender could have possibly got it. Rodgers dropped his, Nelson didn't fight his second hand free from the defender and tried to one hand catch it. Earlier James Starks dropped a swing screen pass that would have been a walk in for TD. Rodgers then threw a pick two plays later that Nelson should have caught but batted it up instead. There were plenty of other throws he was dead on, but I just mentioned those in particular because without a couple of key drops here or there, the stat line for Rodgers could have easily been 290 Yrds, 4 TDs, 1 INT, instead of 260, 2 TDs and 2 INT. A decent difference if the receivers just catch the ball that's in their hands and ones where, if they had happened, I don't think a single person would be talking about Rodgers accuracy right now. The guy is fine. The receivers are still a question.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Perry... He's on his way to the Pro Bowl this year

Lacy... Ran like a beast

Fackrell... Another really good game

Clark... Really has been unsung this year but a major reason why we've been so good in the front seven

Run D.... outstanding again and will be tested big time next week.

Cobb... Huge game

Adams... For not just what showed up in the box score but also the Offensive PI he took to keep away a INT.

Oline... Thank god they've played great so far otherwise this forum would be flooded with Sitton posts

Duds:

Jordy... Just a bad game. Reminiscent of alot if Adams games last year

Starks... Good lord if they need to give Lacy a rest just roll with Montgomery at RB from now on

Rodgers... Another bad game from him considering just how great the protection was. He's missing just way to many guys. If he ever returns to MVP form this team is beastly.

Everyone who said "Cut Masthay cause there's no way we can do worse then him"....... Well it looks like you've been proven wrong

I will say it's good to know we can win games without needing our QB to play even just good. Strange that 4 games in he's my biggest worry going forward but he is. This team is a legitimate threat to tear ANY team apart if our QB returns to anywhere close to his MVP form

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C plus win over a C minus team ! Luckily Manning did a Cutler impersonation. A good QB would have burned the Packers dinged secondary. Good job by the O line, D line and LB's.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am one of the first to criticize Aaron Rodgers on this forum, but I didn't think he looked bad tonight. As mentioned above, dropped td passes, td passes called back and a lack of WR separation all probably played a part in not scoring more tonight over Rodgers struggling.

With that being said..you can throw for 300 yards anyyy game now Rodgers:whistling:

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
- Ripkowski
- Offensive Line
- Defensive Line
- Cobb
- the Giants' Kicking Net

Duds:
- the rest of the Packers team

I'm serious. That was a game we should have put away by the 2nd quarter and the Packers offense once again let a potential blowout turn into another meltdown.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
- Ripkowski
- Offensive Line
- Defensive Line
- Cobb
- the Giants' Kicking Net

Duds:
- the rest of the Packers team

I'm serious. That was a game we should have put away by the 2nd quarter and the Packers offense once again let a potential blowout turn into another meltdown.

Glad you're enjoying the win...

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying the win...

lol I'm enjoying the win, but this starting to become a trend and with us getting ready to start facing actually good teams soon, I'm not convinced this current version of the team can get it done, especially with us having to go down to ATL soon and face that offense.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
- My first weekend in Green Bay. Had an absolute blast here and Lambeau is one of the best places on earth. Amazing atmosphere.
- The defense overall. Giants have weapons and they did a great job. Good looks on the young CB's stepping up too.
- Cobb. This guy is the man and works so hard. Davante had a decent game too.

Duds:
- Jordy did not have a good game.
- Starks. I was BAFFLED at the fumble he coughed up. Looked like he tossed them the ball.
- AR didn't have a great game either.
- Schum. This guy is GARBAGE.

Overall, a hard fought win against a decent team. We're onto the Cowboys. They're looking good and won't be an easy game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm the biggest Rodgers supporter here but he has got to play better. He didn't play terrible but he missed some throws and needs to take the check down!!

James Starks has fallen way off. All he wants to do is run to the outside every single play. We need to find his replacement sooner than later.

Richard Rogers still can't beat man to man coverage. He is only good in the red zone. Anything where he needs to play in space and he's useless.

Our wrs run two routes...the comeback, and the slant. If Rodgers isn't making plays outside the pocket they still Can't get open. My God it's hard to watch this offense at times.

The punter is the worse in the league. He's as terrible as they come.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
- Defense overall played an incredible game. The Giant's field position was incredible and the defense held up. The first 9 Giant points were from either bad punts or a turnover.

- Cobb looked like a guy we haven't seen in a while. When he had a one on one matchup, he won consistently.

Offensively, they just need some better execution. Just by finishing drives better, they would have put up close to 40. Starks' dropped screen, Jordy drop to INT, and illegal motion penalty took away a TD. R. Rodgers dropped a TD also.

Those mistakes don't happen and the Packers have 34 points and this game is a blowout. The yardage difference was nearly 200 (406 to 219).

Overall, the Giants are not a bad team and the outcome was never really in doubt. Solid win.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing is our offensive troubles seem pretty firmly on Rodgers shoulders always looking down field. Early in the game with working the underneath to Cobb we looked great. Then Rodgers realized he had all day with how our oline was playing and kept passing those routes up looking 10-15+ yards down field

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs: Eddie (freight train) Lacy
The O-line, really impressed me
The D-line and line backers, really Solid
Dom Capers put together this D-line
Money Mason FG's are still winners
Duds: A-rod "where for art thou" after first quarter
Receivers dropping passes
D-backs still giving up big,plays missed opportunities, and still bad tackling
Punter, ( Mastey)was caught on open Mike " you cut me for this guy"!!!

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to wax poetically about our team tonite, but I was watching the debate on one, and the game on another. Couldnt fully focus my attention this evening. Loved the Cobb catch at the end (albeit with a likely concussion).

Sorry. Looking forward to the 2 ROY candidates next week.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offensive line, at least in pass protection, is playing as well as I ever remember any line playing for us. I was definitely wrong about Lane Taylor, I've been pleasantly surprised, and now instead of being an overpay, having him under contract next year is looking like a huge benefit and bargain, especially with Lang and Tretter hitting free agency.

There were other studs this game, but this line deserves some unique recognition right now. You can completely remove them from any blame for our offensive struggles because it is not even remotely on them.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stud: The balanced offense: A few weeks ago, I was calling for less hurry up, shotgun, and motion and more attention to the short game...Mission Accomplished! The screen game is still a work in progress but, the check down game, the flares slants, and seem routes were back and a nice run/pass/play action balance was achieved. Most importantly, MM and the gang did not give up on it when there were some sync problems early in the game. I do still wish we'd find a change-of-pace 3rd down back somewhere. I don't like seeing Randall Cobb back there. All in all, the bye week was well utilized by the offense this year!

dud: Poor tackling, particularly in the kick return game.

All in all, I feel much better than I did a few weeks ago!