Studs n duds Rams

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure if you realize he was 20/26. That’s 76.9% completion rate with a 115% Passer rating. That’s the 3rd game he’s had over a 113% passer rating.

Did Love play perfectly? No

Did he struggle with accuracy today? No

Some of you guys just don’t want him to succeed. Just Admit it. You’ve made up your minds already. You the same old rhetoric “he should be further along after 4 years in the NFL”. Which implies we should judge him in todays work.
Then when he actually plays good today you say “he should be judged on what someone said 4 years ago”.

Do you see how that might make some of us speculative on your credibility there?
Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that every debate has to be staunchly for or staunchly against Love. I didn't come here at any point and say Love is terrible, I said stating he played very well was a stretch. I want him to succeed as should the entire fanbase because it means we don't have to waste capital on another quarterback prospect. However, stats are only telling part of the story here. Watching the game, he was definitely helped by his receivers with some of the completions. He was throwing high and low for many of them. I don't have the tape or screenshots to show it, but I watched the game.

The one thing I don't want us to end up with is a $40 million contract like the Giants are dealing with right now. We have to be real about his growth or we're going to be in purgatory. I'm rooting for him, but I'm going to be watching intently for flashes that make me feel like we have something or we don't. And no, I'm not expecting Rodgers or HOF play.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as to say he played very well. He played decently, but continues to struggle with touch and accuracy which has been his knock since coming out of college. There were a couple really bad reads/not seeing receivers wide open. The ball was taken out of his hands a lot in this game to establish the run which we did. That should have been enough to open up the passing game and it was still pretty lethargic. It wasn't totally on Love, but the rest of the season has to show some steady progression before I can say he's playing very well.
I would agree with this post. I don’t think 10 is a bad QB by any means, I just haven’t seen enough to give me reason to believe he is the future of this team either. Struggles mightily with the deep ball, some reads, ball placement, and decision making (especially in crunch time). Game was 7-3 for majority of it with a lack of firepower and most players on O don’t pass the eye test as studs. He does show poise and a calmness which I like, that is good at least.

But I’ll also say, weapons around him stand out as very dull. 33 had a good game today but other than that, I just find myself wanting and expecting more from the pass catchers, especially 9 & 87, 11 & 13 actually stand out more than our second year guys. Most of the WRs just look like regular guys out there, we lack a true playmaker. This offense needs to spend a high draft pick on a WR (or sign one in FA, Higgins or Aiyuk look like best potential options), an OT, and could use a new young RB, especially since 33 is uncertain to be back.

Reaction score
I would agree with this post. I don’t think 10 is a bad QB by any means, I just haven’t seen enough to give me reason to believe he is the future of this team either. Struggles mightily with the deep ball, some reads, ball placement, and decision making (especially in crunch time). Game was 7-3 for majority of it with a lack of firepower and most players on O don’t pass the eye test as studs. He does show poise and a calmness which I like, that is good at least.

But I’ll also say, weapons around him stand out as very dull. 33 had a good game today but other than that, I just find myself wanting and expecting more from the pass catchers, especially 9 & 87, 11 & 13 actually stand out more than our second year guys. Most of the WRs just look like regular guys out there, we lack a true playmaker. This offense needs to spend a high draft pick on a WR (or sign one in FA, Higgins or Aiyuk look like best potential options), an OT, and could use a new young RB, especially since 33 is uncertain to be back.
Yes
Me thinks we should get:

1 more great YAC, Stud WR
(Malachi Corley)
1 more really good LT
1 good Veteran upgrade at TE
*1 more year of growth across the Offense.

PS. I will say OG Sean Rhyan answered some questions today watching him erase Aaron Donald. He took him completely out of that #33 TD Run
I hope we work him more.

Reaction score
That's really hard to believe. Especially the Pocket Time. I would have guessed bottom 5.
Funny I just read an article today by ESPN that said our Run Block win Rate was #23 before today.

I also noticed we have 2 OL in the top 11 players for Pass Block Win Rate. Runyon + Myers. They are at #10, #11 leaguewide for iOL against nearly 100 players. They are neck n neck just behind guys like Travis Kelce, Landon d ickerson and Creed Humphrey.. who everyone uses as an example to say how bad Myers is.

They also had Rasheed Walker at #6 and Tom at #15 at Pass Block Win Rate across 64 starting Tackles.

It’s hard to decipher the truth nowadays, I would’ve never guessed Walker was a Top 6 Tackle at pass pro as of Oct31

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud I want to discuss: Jordan Love.

Okay someone said it earlier, and I was critical before I watched the All-22...but I've rewatched the condensed broadcast (All-22 is up this week some evening when I don't hunt). I will say Love IMO is likely to grade the highest in this game of the year.

Few things of quick note:
-Love was 6 of 8 on passes over 10 yards plus through the air if I have things written down right. Far above this year's tendency.
-He had 6 incompletions: a spike, a drop by Malik Heath, a screen that Aaron Donald disrupted, shovel pass to Musgrave that was off target, the miss deep to Watson and the dumpoff to Jones to avoid a sack. Only two of those were actual "normal throws" and the one was a catchable ball dropped.
-20 for 26 / 228 yards / 1 TD / 0 INTs and truthfully left a few out there...that's a solid day.

Other studs: Wicks, McDuffie, DL - the controlling of their run game is impressive regardless of who they're facing.

Duds: Jones ball control, Deguara's blocking (he looked like Musgrave at times LOL),

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Want to give a shout out for AJ Dillon. When he needed to get the yardage, he got it. I thought he had an excellent game. Also really liked what I saw from the young secondary. Jonathan Owens forcing the fumble, Anthony Johnson getting the pick, JA forcing the pick, Valentine playing shut down D and Isiah McDuffie all over the field.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs- Alexander, Nixon
Duds- o line : still getting stoned in short yardage. It's just a whipping up front.
Love- looked good on mid range rhythm passes but his deep balls are nowhere near accurate. He'll waste Watson if that doesn't quickly improve.
They are definitely not a dominant run blocking unit. LaFleur needs to find ways around this unpleasant fact. It's on him to adjust and adapt.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he did not see anyone open. Duh. Maybe he could try and roll out when he feels like there is just no more time.
He took one sack in the second half with a wide open Watson right in front of him in the middle of the field. Perhaps Watson wasn't past the line to gain? I can't recall...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs- Alexander, Nixon
Duds- o line : still getting stoned in short yardage. It's just a whipping up front.
Love- looked good on mid range rhythm passes but his deep balls are nowhere near accurate. He'll waste Watson if that doesn't quickly improve.
We got short yardage but stupid offsides penalties on the OL killed 2 of 'em.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I think it's important to look at Love 2023 and see what Rodgers 2008 results were. It helps give perspective. Jones being on the shelf for half of our games has certainly hurt the team. I don't believe it's fair to assess the WR's and TE's yet. None of them have mature NFL bodies and skills yet. Remember Adams, Nelson, Driver et al? They weren't top shelf in year 2 either. No need to panic in the 2024 draft. Just continue choosing the best talent that fits well here and fill in holes with free agents.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Want to give a shout out for AJ Dillon. When he needed to get the yardage, he got it. I thought he had an excellent game. Also really liked what I saw from the young secondary. Jonathan Owens forcing the fumble, Anthony Johnson getting the pick, JA forcing the pick, Valentine playing shut down D and Isiah McDuffie all over the field.
I also liked seeing Dillon and Jones out there together a few times yesterday.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We got short yardage but stupid offsides penalties on the OL killed 2 of 'em.
The penalties that are still being committed by veteran players have been killers on both sides of the ball. I expected this from the young guys but I certainly did not see this mess from our veterans. Extremely disappointing!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Penalties and fumbles didn't help the O either. Once we stopped doing that the offense functioned pretty well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I also liked seeing Dillon and Jones out there together a few times yesterday.
Needs to happen more often imo. All season long. One less WR or TE on the field every time is a good thing. Jones/Dillon are better and more reliable than all of the WR/TE crew. It's on the coaching staff as always!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We should’ve beat LA 30-3 had we not self imploded some with 2 consecutive fumbles around midfield and 2 drives stalled by penalties. Missed a makable FG.

Jordan Love just elevated to 60% completions for the season. His number has been riding since week4.

I have a friendly wager (who buys lunch) every week on the Badger and Packer games, with a longtime friend. When I heard Stafford was officially out, I predicted the score to be 28-3, Packers. She texted back "What are you smoking, the Packers defense only giving up 3?" Guess who is buying lunch this week? :coffee:

Reaction score
The one thing I don't want us to end up with is a $40 million contract like the Giants are dealing with right now. We have to be real about his growth or we're going to be in purgatory. I'm rooting for him, but I'm going to be watching intently for flashes that make me feel like we have something or we don't. And no, I'm not expecting Rodgers or HOF play.
I appreciate that it’s nothing personal. It might surprise you that just because I defend him does not mean I give him a complete pass either (pun intended!)

Seriously though, I was one of the earlier fans who said we had 2 avenues. Love or using extra draft capital to move up and get another QB. I still feel that way and I don’t have blinders on. I prefer to save those draft picks for high level guys to build a team if at all possible. I also don’t want to make what I’ll call the Micah Hyde mistake, but at QB where it would make our franchise look foolish.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I loved when they motioned Dillon similar to they do with Deguara into lead blocker....praying that's a foreshadow of possibly what may be to come. I've said it before I would love the pathway to Dillon resigning as our FB1 and RB3 type with not resigning Deguara. He's fully capable blocker (actually our best blocker in the RB and TE room), athletic enough to still do short routes, good hands and can obviously be a pounder with the ball too if fresh.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara made an important catch yesterday. He never drops the ball. I wish they would throw it to him some and be a little flexible with the game plan as far as he is concerned.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara made an important catch yesterday. He never drops the ball. I wish they would throw it to him some and be a little flexible with the game plan as far as he is concerned.

More slips and/or delayed screens to him I think could work very well if called....defenses assume blocking role every snap he is in.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Defense
Jones
Reed

Duds
OL offense penalties
Fumbles
The 1st fumble was ridiculous. He actually did not just lay the ball on the ground but popped it up perfectly for the DB. In that 2010 Championship Driver did a similar miscue against the Bears. Popped up off his foot and turned into an INT.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The 1st fumble was ridiculous. He actually did not just lay the ball on the ground but popped it up perfectly for the DB. In that 2010 Championship Driver did a similar miscue against the Bears. Popped up off his foot and turned into an INT.
Those are one of those fumbles that sucks, but hard to be too mad at the receiver for. Yeah, he needs to keep possession of it and it was lucky that the defender didn't pick it up and return a long way. However, Wicks made a nice stretch for a first down and just lost control of a probably wet ball. I imagine next time, he makes sure that he is gripping it better.

What was kind of "funny", was FOX showing Wicks being consoled on the sidelines by Aaron Jones and Doubs, after the fumble. Shortly after, Aaron Jones coughed up the ball. I wonder if Wicks consoled him?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that every debate has to be staunchly for or staunchly against Love. I didn't come here at any point and say Love is terrible, I said stating he played very well was a stretch. I want him to succeed as should the entire fanbase because it means we don't have to waste capital on another quarterback prospect. However, stats are only telling part of the story here. Watching the game, he was definitely helped by his receivers with some of the completions. He was throwing high and low for many of them. I don't have the tape or screenshots to show it, but I watched the game.

I believe he can get better as the team gets better. When he is playing uphill and behind the sticks he struggles as does the team. Botching 2 4th downs by lining up offside is nuts. Notice that he looked better when the score was 13-3 later in the 4th. He felt less pressure and he knew the defense was on its heels by then. Getting beat by a good defense is one thing. Beating yourself is another. He probably gets us into scoring position if we execute those 4th downs and does the same if we do not carelessly fumble those other 2 times. Coaches have to help a new QB out with those around him. Look how O'Connell won a game for Minnesota yesterday with someone who was just signed off the street. Go figure.

Reaction score
One thing that impressed me about Love is his command of various plays with movement. He’s good at the fakes and selling confusion. That play with Musgraves TD was a thing of beauty down to ball placement.

Musgrave looks so fluid. Once that kid is fully up to speed and we get him in motion he’s going to damage Defenses.

Members online

Latest posts