Studs n duds Rams

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One minor yet important detail that I noticed not just from Doubs, but other WRs yesterday was that they were FINALLY catching the ball with their hands, out away from the body.

Most of this season, our WRs have failed to create separation. IMO out of desperation, Love has still been putting the ball out there. He hasn't been accurate which obviously doesn't help. However, when the ball was there the defenders were easily swatting it down because our WRs were trying to gut-catch most of the time. Yesterday we got more completions and it seemed because our WRs were reaching out to get the ball. We need more of that going forward.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that impressed me about Love is his command of various plays with movement. He’s good at the fakes and selling confusion. That play with Musgraves TD was a thing of beauty down to ball placement.

Musgrave looks so fluid. Once that kid is fully up to speed and we get him in motion he’s going to damage Defenses.

Musgrave turns a corner though about as well as a trash truck LOL

Love has three things I want to see improve before year's end:

- Eyes/Reads....there are times on certain plays he looks gold here, others he gets that Rodgers' tunnel vision that is fine when you have an Adams to throw to but we don't have that.
- Full digestion of the offense...I have to go back and watch the Rams game but still unless there is a scripted can call, Love is not ever audibling. I know it isn't part of the MLF system, but to have a QB comfortable enough and with MLF's trust to change a call when clearly not the right one would be monumental to his development.
- Deep Ball Accuracy....this is the one which is VERY VERY hard to predict...as we've seen time and time again some QBs never get it...others for sure clicks after a bit.

The first two come with time IMO and will happen...that third one is the tough to predict.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Rhyan played some. I didn't notice. How much did he play and where? thanx

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One thing that impressed me about Love is his command of various plays with movement. He’s good at the fakes and selling confusion. That play with Musgraves TD was a thing of beauty down to ball placement.

Musgrave looks so fluid. Once that kid is fully up to speed and we get him in motion he’s going to damage Defenses.
Too bad Gute didn't grab ex-Badger TE Jake Ferguson in the 2022 draft. The Cowboys got him in the 4th round. He looked really good yesterday and has had a nice season thus far.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Deep Ball Accuracy....this is the one which is VERY VERY hard to predict...as we've seen time and time again some QBs never get it...others for sure clicks after a bit.
Long balls are for sure hit or miss. If memory serves me correct, Rodgers struggled with the long ball in 2022. Now that might be a reflection of not having MVS or Adams, but he wasn't always 100% accurate when he did.

I get frustrated when a QB throws a long ball on 3rd down, when all they needed was 2-9 yards for a first down.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at Love vs Stroud this season. Both have 12 TD passes. Love has 8 picks, Straud has 1. Stroud's rating 20 pts higher. All you need to do is look at how they both throw a deep ball. Stroud is a rookie.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at Love vs Stroud this season. Both have 12 TD passes. Love has 8 picks, Straud has 1. Stroud's rating 20 pts higher. All you need to do is look at how they both throw a deep ball. Stroud is a rookie.

It's been discussed. Veteran Robert Woods in the WR room with gifted but young guys, Dalton Schultz a veteran stud in the TE room with young gifted guys, and Devin Singletary a very productive and still somewhat young veteran in the RB room....along with a complete high draft pick type built OL that isn't missing their AP LT.

ALL that, but still Stroud was my QB1 so you're not going to hear me say because of all of that is the only reason Stroud is good, it is not. It is part of it though, he is freaking balling out too!

Reaction score
Look at Love vs Bryce Young this season. Both are first year starters
and a hefty price was paid for Bryce at #1 overall.
7 INT in 7 games pacing 17INT

Look at Trevor Lawrence his first starting season. He’s a #1 overall. Love was a #26 overall. I can draft 5 drafted #26 overall QB’s in the same season and probably 7-8 Late Day1 QB’s over the span of 5 drafts for the same cost as what
1 Lawrence or 1 Young cost.

Lawrence first season he was over 30% lower QB rating than Stroud and paired
12 TD 17 INT

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Stud: Wayne Larivee. I was listening to the first TD drive in my truck and after every big play he would say "and no flags on the field." Big plays and penalties seem to be synonymous <spelled that without spell check. I think we are on the Detroit side of the penalty ledger this season for the first time in a long one. They seemed to be on the wrong side of "what a tik takky call" for years while we seemed over all to get the benefit of the doubt. A few egregious ones but still on the plus side. Not this season hence the phantom lined up offsides on 4th and inches. WR's need to earn the back judges respect before they get the arm bar and shirt tugs DPIs. OL needs the line judges acceptance to get the split second move before the snap ability. Thankfully Jordan hasn't taken many late/borderline hits that seem to derail many young QBs bodies yet.

(All-22 is up this week some evening when I don't hunt)
Gives you something to do while sitting in your stand waiting for it to get closer to sundown.
Want to give a shout out for AJ Dillon.
I've noticed he's been running harder, like in a contract year or something ;), the past two or three weeks. Somebody he cares about or respects must have pointed out his (lack of) effort and the expected payday resulting from it.
They are definitely not a dominant run blocking unit. LaFleur needs to find ways around this unpleasant fact. It's on him to adjust and adapt.
This will be the result when you draft for pass blocking and hope to develop thee run blocking OL.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "Jordan sucks" crowd in the middle of the 4 game skid was premature and (imho) an overreaction. Saying Love has is unquestionably the future after the Bears and Rams is the same.

Love to me seems to be more or less playing the same, he just go more help from his support cast this week. I still have questions about his accuracy/placement, even on completions. The long completion to Watson where he got hurt? That was a rather poor ball and an excellent catch by Watson.

Common thread between the Bears and Rams was a healthy Aaron Jones. I can't believe I'm considering this, but at what point do we consider taking a RB in the 1st? Not top-10, but if we could (hypothetically) get back into the back half of the 1st with a trade up? Package a 2 and a 3 to be the first pick in round 2?

No Jones has lead to a rather poor offensive showing, which is why I even suggest such a move.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "Jordan sucks" crowd in the middle of the 4 game skid was premature and (imho) an overreaction. Saying Love has is unquestionably the future after the Bears and Rams is the same.

Love to me seems to be more or less playing the same, he just go more help from his support cast this week. I still have questions about his accuracy/placement, even on completions. The long completion to Watson where he got hurt? That was a rather poor ball and an excellent catch by Watson.

Common thread between the Bears and Rams was a healthy Aaron Jones. I can't believe I'm considering this, but at what point do we consider taking a RB in the 1st? Not top-10, but if we could (hypothetically) get back into the back half of the 1st with a trade up? Package a 2 and a 3 to be the first pick in round 2?

No Jones has lead to a rather poor offensive showing, which is why I even suggest such a move.

First no, but I do fully support the logic of a Day2 RB pick. Allen from Wisconsin is one of my favorites but their a quite a few guys I like. FTR I don't have a single Day 1 RB I don't think and don't see that changing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm all for drafting a RB high. Would have loved Bijan Robinson, but of course, he didn't make it to our pick. I don't think there are any Bijans in this year's draft. Maybe there will be some value in round 2 or 3, but round 1 is for an OT.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker can run block pretty well.
Young & incosistent. He was benched after his poor run & pass blocking last week against Minny. Good to see that the benching lit a fire in him, just need for Walker to perform well every week especially since Nijman left injured.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he can get better as the team gets better. When he is playing uphill and behind the sticks he struggles as does the team. Botching 2 4th downs by lining up offside is nuts. Notice that he looked better when the score was 13-3 later in the 4th. He felt less pressure and he knew the defense was on its heels by then. Getting beat by a good defense is one thing. Beating yourself is another. He probably gets us into scoring position if we execute those 4th downs and does the same if we do not carelessly fumble those other 2 times. Coaches have to help a new QB out with those around him. Look how O'Connell won a game for Minnesota yesterday with someone who was just signed off the street. Go figure.
Dobbs was starting in AZ( although he wasn't real good there).Was traded to the queens.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that comparison is fair. Stroud was a Heisman finalist and the second overall pick in the last draft. Love was a low 1st/high 2nd round prospect coming out of college. I seriously doubt Love will have a career similar to Stroud in the end. But if Love can improve his long ball accuracy we can win with him. IMO the jury is still out.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Rhyan played some. I didn't notice. How much did he play and where? thanx
After Runyans 2nd offsides penalty. He came in and immediately pushed Donald out of the way on a run for a 1st down by Jones. The next play he pushed Donald back allowing Jones to score.

Reaction score
Still not convinced on that point. I do agree that OT is our biggest gap on offense, but that doesn't mean we spend a top pick on it. Particularly if the draft is deep at OT prospects.
I sort of agree but for different reasons. OT is a still a “premier position” As like most drafts it will depend on who’s left on our pick. Gutey isn’t afraid to pass on a position if he’s forced to reach. LT in particular is a premium position where that top5-10 go a little earlier than they are typically boarded. Much like what happened at WR in the 2022 draft it was like a Walmart, Black Friday, WR stampede.
I guess what I’m saying is it’s a precarious position to draft because of increased demand. However reaching in Round 2 or 3 is a great deal different than reaching using a top 10 or top 14 pick. Personally I have no problem moving into that top 40 area or back part of Day 1 for a bonafide top 50 OT

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still not convinced on that point. I do agree that OT is our biggest gap on offense, but that doesn't mean we spend a top pick on it. Particularly if the draft is deep at OT prospects.
I agree. You never know what the draft is going to bring you and you can't make draft for need.

If you look at Walter football mock draft, the have 3 OTs in the top 10. None are named Alt or Olu. Walter football is usually ahead of the concensus this time of year and more often than you would expect, the rest of the pundits will have their mocks looking similar in March.

That is to say, there are up to 10 OTs who may be thought of as first round
Grades before all is said and done. The likelihood of one representing great value and BPA is fairly high in the first 3 rounds.

Reaction score
I agree. You never know what the draft is going to bring you and you can't make draft for need.

If you look at Walter football mock draft, the have 3 OTs in the top 10. None are named Alt or Olu. Walter football is usually ahead of the concensus this time of year and more often than you would expect, the rest of the pundits will have their mocks looking similar in March.

Grades before all is said and done. The likelihood of one representing great value and BPA is fairly high in the first 3 rounds.
Walter and I’ve noticed that oddly, “CBS sports”was closer to reality in past drafts. Cheripinsky knows a thing or two, yes

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you want a LT for sure that isn't just a bottom line starter but could become an All Pro Olu is that guy and the only blue chip OT I have in this draft.

Now there are some DYNAMITE Right Tackle prospects that I don't envision a move to LT for and that group is led by Mims and Guyton.

Joe Alt is a first rounder, but I absolutely don't see blue chipper...I am very hesitant to say his ceiling and floor are that far apart - which of course means incredibly high floor.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walter and I’ve noticed that oddly, “CBS sports”was closer to reality in past drafts. Cheripinsky knows a thing or two, yes
Not sure if it's Cherip but think it's more Charlie Campbell. Seems he talks more with actual scouts and gets real info.

If you want a LT for sure that isn't just a bottom line starter but could become an All Pro Olu is that guy and the only blue chip OT I have in this draft.

Now there are some DYNAMITE Right Tackle prospects that I don't envision a move to LT for and that group is led by Mims and Guyton.

Joe Alt is a first rounder, but I absolutely don't see blue chipper...I am very hesitant to say his ceiling and floor are that far apart - which of course means incredibly high floor.
Campbell has Mims to the pack at 7. Then Suamataia/Guyton also going top 10. Alt is 11 then Latham and finally Olu at 17. Barton is also in the first as the top guard, or at least OT/G.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if it's Cherip but think it's more Charlie Campbell. Seems he talks more with actual scouts and gets real info.

Campbell has Mims to the pack at 7. Then Suamataia/Guyton also going top 10. Alt is 11 then Latham and finally Olu at 17. Barton is also in the first as the top guard, or at least OT/G.

Barton and Jordan Morgan are two I envision more people watch film the more they like. Barton if he has the arms will go Tackle, although for sure can play anywhere not center.

Members online

Latest posts