Official Giants studs n duds

D

Deleted member 6794

It has been successful. I only have to go back to last year and the offense was struggling all year and they put Cobb back there for a couple series and it added a spark. It hasn't always been, but then no formation is successful all the time either.

Lacy has averaged 5.5 yards per carry this season while running the ball with either Cobb or Montgomery has produced only 1.7 yards per play.

I would prefer the Packers to have running backs carrying the ball.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been successful. I only have to go back to last year and the offense was struggling all year and they put Cobb back there for a couple series and it added a spark. It hasn't always been, but then no formation is successful all the time either.

Has been successful ?? How many yards rushing has Cobb had ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy has averaged 5.5 yards per carry this season while running the ball with either Cobb or Montgomery has produced only 1.7 yards per play.

I would prefer the Packers to have running backs carrying the ball.
I would prefer it too, but starks is indecisive and slow, and Lacy was on the bench again with an ankle injury after he took himself out for being winded.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would prefer it too, but starks is indecisive and slow, and Lacy was on the bench again with an ankle injury after he took himself out for being winded.

There's no doubt the Packers either need Starks to perform like last season or bring in an improvement over him as backup running back.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Even when healthy, Lacy can't be counted on for all of the carries. While I don't watch a lot of other teams, it doesn't seem that uncommon to rely on 2 RB's during a game. Unfortunately, Starks hasn't been that reliable RB this year, that the Packers resigned him to be. We had this conversation already, so won't rehash it. But right now, with Lacy's ankle and Starks ineffectiveness, if I am TT, I am putting another RB on the active 53 and not expecting Rip, Cobb or Montgomery to be that backup for Lacy and an ineffective Starks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has been successful ?? How many yards rushing has Cobb had ?
Last year I think he sparked in 1 or 2 games. I think one was the raiders, I don't remember the other off hand. My years blend.

And I wasn't arguing it has had great success this year, but it has been in the past, and probably will in the future. In certain situations it could be great, and how it's used in September will probably be different in December. When you're low on RBs what's your suggestion?

Putting a passing threat in the backfield is a way to create mismatches, but they do have to be more successful with it running in order to work. Considering Cobb has ripped off a long run or 2 from between the tackles, they're capable

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year I think he sparked in 1 or 2 games. I think one was the raiders, I don't remember the other off hand. My years blend.

And I wasn't arguing it has had great success this year, but it has been in the past, and probably will in the future. In certain situations it could be great, and how it's used in September will probably be different in December. When you're low on RBs what's your suggestion?

Putting a passing threat in the backfield is a way to create mismatches, but they do have to be more successful with it running in order to work. Considering Cobb has ripped off a long run or 2 from between the tackles, they're capable

It has worked in the past with Cobb having a total of 11 rushes for at least 10 yards in his career. Unfortunately defenses have done a good job containing it this season.

FYI Cobb's 67-yard rush vs. the Lions in 2013 is the longest run by a Packer pver the last six seasons.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately Rodgers hasn't performed on an elite level for more than a year though.

Well not entirely true, for that year's time he's shown flashes of his old self like the first two drives last night... before going back to the 20+ yard passes every snap before punting routine.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even when healthy, Lacy can't be counted on for all of the carries. While I don't watch a lot of other teams, it doesn't seem that uncommon to rely on 2 RB's during a game. Unfortunately, Starks hasn't been that reliable RB this year, that the Packers resigned him to be. We had this conversation already, so won't rehash it. But right now, with Lacy's ankle and Starks ineffectiveness, if I am TT, I am putting another RB on the active 53 and not expecting Rip, Cobb or Montgomery to be that backup for Lacy and an ineffective Starks.

I can't imagine that his asthma allows him to be a full time bell cow, so its good that Rip is emerging as a short yardage back.

Starks runs way too high behind the LOS, it's like the whole defense sees him and knows which hole he's going to pick. Then when he gets to the hole he runs too upright and doesn't pick up enough momentum to break through arm tackles and drag tacklers with him. He needs to A) get lower before he makes his cut and B) hit the hole harder than he does.

EDIT: His problem could be him trying to do too much.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has worked in the past with Cobb having a total of 11 rushes for at least 10 yards in his career. Unfortunately defenses have done a good job containing it this season.

FYI Cobb's 67-yard rush vs. the Lions in 2013 is the longest run by a Packer pver the last six seasons.

Maybe so, but I wouldn't pin my expectations on a play that worked well once in four years !
FYI Cobb is 5 attempts for 12 yards this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am over the fact that Lacy will never be a 20-30 carry/game back, I am just fine with what he did yesterday on 11 carries as well as what he has done all season. He is a big guy, with asthma and runs with a punishing energy consuming style. That being said, IMO fans have to stop expecting more from him, as do the Packers coaches. As long as you can except Eddie for what he provides on his limited carries, a second capable back will be needed to compliment and relieve him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I wouldn't pin my expectations on a play that worked well once in four years !
It isn't a staple of our offense, it's a change of pace, situational formation. I do t they're pinning our season on that play either

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It sets up other opportunities however. We will see the circle route again imo. I'd still like to see both Montgomery and Cobb on the field together and iso one of them on a linebacker. Maybe soon in the second half of a close game.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I won't rehash what most have already posted, rather just add a couple comments:

My favorite play: Ripkowski moves the pile.
A few more of those "move the pile for 8 yards or more" and the crowd will happily move from "Kuuuhn" to "Riiiiip". This guy plays a game that fits just fine with Green Bay.

Another stud: I thought that Hyde played a good game. He seemed to be everywhere.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally I'm one to sit here and complain. Yes. There's things to work on. But the one thing I do like this team is that they are winning the ugly games. Where as before this team would live and die with ARods performance. Come playoff time, you need a defense that will get stops.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there is a group who wants a quick rhythm offense but did people see Rodgers stats when he holds the ball over something like 2.5 seconds? They were insanely high. This offense needs a mix of both and that is what they had early

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there is a group who wants a quick rhythm offense but did people see Rodgers stats when he holds the ball over something like 2.5 seconds? They were insanely high. This offense needs a mix of both and that is what they had early

At one point in the game last night, he'd had an average of 3.33 seconds per dropback. Even with that, his final stat line was terribly inefficient.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At one point in the game last night, he'd had an average of 3.33 seconds per dropback. Even with that, his final stat line was terribly inefficient.
I am just saying historically that has not been the case. Historically the longer he holds the ball the better his numbers are

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The passing game has been exposed for more than a year.

It's incredible to me that this rush 4 drop 7 recipe came about in 2011, and MM has made absolutely no progress in coming up with an answer for it. It seriously makes me question his validity as a coach. He's either just not very smart or has too big of an ego to change the gameplan.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Starks doesn't get squared away before the end of the season there is 0% chance he returns! He has been a memorable back foe the Pack but it would be time to move on. Pack might have a whole new backfield if Lacy leaves FA and Starks doesn't return.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's incredible to me that this rush 4 drop 7 recipe came about in 2011, and MM has made absolutely no progress in coming up with an answer for it. It seriously makes me question his validity as a coach. He's either just not very smart or has too big of an ego to change the gameplan.
Good post. It is the GM. He doesn't hold everyone to a high standard. He just thinks lightning will strike twice, despite the signs that it's time change.

Members online

Latest posts