Official Giants studs n duds

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
- Dline. It is getting redundant saying that but man is this group playing well. I love the impact Kenny Clark is having. The kid is young and playing some solid football. Guion was a fa find by Thompson and Daniels is just a stud
- Oline. It was said throughout this thread but the pass blocking is phenomenal. Even the holding call on Bahk was questionable. He and Bulaga owned JPP and Vernon tonight. The run blocking was solid as well
- Secondary. I know people were open at times but considering their starting two cbs were out and the Giants have 3 really good wrs this was a very good performance.
- OLBs. There is so much depth in this group. Each week it is Perry and someone (multiple others) that shine
- Cobb and Adams. Both made big plays tonight but also moved the chains

Duds
- Jordy. He said it himself. The drops were embarrassing and kept the game closer than it should have been
- Richard Rodgers - If you are going to be slow you need to be sure-handed. That pass in the end zone was placed perfectly and you need to catch it. That would have ended the game
- Starks. Get decisive on your cuts and catch the ball. That dropped screen was a td
- Aaron Rodgers in the middle two quarters. Just struggled with accuracy however as noted he had one int that was on Nelson and at least 2 dropped tds from Rodgers and Starks. That does change a game. 11 point swing.
- STs as a whole. Outside of Crosby being automatic and Montgomery with a decent last return with the hands team out there was anything good??
- LBs struggled in coverage a few times last night.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - line play on both sides was phenomenal.
We manhandled them in the trenches all night.

Crosby - the only good special teams performance. The rest were bad tonight.

Lacy in the first half.

Duds - the skill position players for the most part. Too many drops. Both sides of the ball. Gotta catch it when it comes to you.

Should have been a blowout. We had Manning under stress all night. Jenkins almost single-handedly kept the Giants in the game. Kid was really good last night.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unmentioned Studs:

Clay Matthews, notched another sack, played the run tough and had a couple hurries on Manning. I hope he didn't tweak his hammy out there in the second half and that they were merely resting him. Great thing about this defense, we don't have to play Matthews when he's nicked up anymore. Fackrell and Perry are a great pass rush tandem between Perry's physicality and ****'s explosiveness around the edge.

Datone Jones: Doesn't get a lot of opportunities but he looks really good around the edges.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers offensive line and the entire defense played exceptionally well. A big shout out to the cornerbacks as the unit didn't give up a ton of yards to a very talented receiving corps despite missing both outside starters.

Rodgers has to get rid of the ball faster. The passing game is productive when in rhythm as the quarterback conpleted 12 passes on 19 throws (including plays negated by penalties) coming in 2.5 seconds or less, gaining 158 yards and having a passer rating of 103.2. On 29 throws coming after 2.5 seconds, Rodgers completed only 13 attempts, gained 151 yards, and had a passer rating of 40.9.

The special teams, aside of Crosby, struggled for most of the game. Schum
is a terrible punter and should be replaced ASAP.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will take the win for sure. But sadly, a better team then the Giants would have probably beaten us last night. Too many mistakes by our wide receivers, Starks and AR on offense. With our O-line playing as well as they were and Lacy being a beast running the ball, AR should have been able to carve up that Giants injured secondary and he didn't. Some of that is on the WR's as well. Starks needs to get better or the Packers should be looking for someone who can relieve Lacy and be a productive 3rd down back.

On the other side of the ball the D-line continues to impress, but the Giants missed some opportunities in the passing game. A better QB may have not missed what Manning did and would have taken advantage of our backup CB's. While I was impressed with the job the secondary did, they still need to get better. Joe Thomas has been playing better this year, but needs to finish his tackles.

Ron Zook better have a REALLY good week with our special teams, because they were far from being special last night.

D

Deleted member 6794

As Rob Demovsky mentioned the Packers offense opened yesterday's game with several different formations on the opening drive but for some reason reverted to predictable plays mostly using three receivers in Nelson, Cobb and Adams as well as a single running back and tight end the rest of the way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As Rob Demovsky mentioned the Packers offense opened yesterday's game with several different formations on the opening drive but for some reason reverted to predictable plays mostly using three receivers in Nelson, Cobb and Adams as well as a single running back and tight end the rest of the way.

Noticed that as well. Janis was even in there for awhile early on. Never saw Abby. Really wish they would scrap putting Montgomery in the backfield and not even convinced I even like it when Cobb is back there either.

The Packers kept 7 WR's and it appears that only 3 of them are getting much work on offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Noticed that as well. Janis was even in there for awhile early on. Never saw Abby. Really wish they would scrap putting Montgomery in the backfield and not even convinced I even like it when Cobb is back there either.

The Packers kept 7 WR's and it appears that only 3 of them are getting much work on offense.

It's extremely tough to understand especially after the offense had a great opening drive that resulted in a touchdown.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Running 190 Lb. WR's out of the backfield is idiotic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What changed after the first quarter ? The offense had two long drives and never seemed the same after.
Much like the Lions game IMO. Not sure if this is the other teams coaching staff making adjustments and MM not doing the same or just AR and the offense getting a bit too cocky and thinking "we got this". Jordy didn't look like himself after that first series.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offensive line and the entire defense played exceptionally well. A big shout out to the cornerbacks as the unit didn't give up a ton of yards to a very talented receiving corps despite missing both outside starters.

Rodgers has to get rid of the ball faster. The passing game is productive when in rhythm as the quarterback conpleted 12 passes on 19 throws (including plays negated by penalties) coming in 2.5 seconds or less, gaining 158 yards and having a passer rating of 103.2. On 29 throws coming after 2.5 seconds, Rodgers completed only 13 attempts, gained 151 yards, and had a passer rating of 40.9.

The special teams, aside of Crosby, struggled for most of the game. Schum
is a terrible punter and should be replaced ASAP.

Maybe the receivers are just not getting open ? Don't think Aaron is to blame.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While I get the reason for doing it, if it's successful, but that is the problem, it hasn't been successful. IMO, you are exposing some smaller players to unnecessary hits by some really big guys when you hand the ball of to one of them. Line Cobb or Montgomery up back there if you want to confuse the coverage, but stop handing the ball off to either one of them.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
  • The Packers were more than solid in the trenches. The offensive line gave Rodgers time to throw all night long and opened some good holes for Lacy and Starks. The run game looked really strong last night. The defensive line was extremely good last night. The run defense has been the best in the league all year.
  • Outside Linebackers/Pass Rush: The pass rush was so good that Capers got to keep two safeties deep in the entire game. Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, and Elliot all had impact plays on defense.
Duds:
  • Receivers/Tight Ends: The receivers dropped too many balls again. Nelson had two clear drops. Richy , Rogers dropped a touchdown pass. Adams had a drop (but did make a great play on the touchdown catch).
The Packers played a very solid game, but the score was way too close for the way the Packers played.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This confuses me also. Every offseason/preseason you hear about the progress Janis and Abby made, but come the regular season Abby can't get on the field and Janis plays exclusively on special teams. You also hear about the speed of Montgomery and Trevor Davis, but never see the ball in either's hands. If all four of these guys are so far behind on the routes they should run that is an issue with the Receivers Coach.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until later this year when they line up with the same formation and run a different play that ends up being wide open for a 1st down or TD. Then it won't be idiotic and nobody will acknowledge what it took in September and October to make it successful in December either

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the receivers are just not getting open ? Don't think Aaron is to blame.
Why do people always have to blame one or the other? Rodgers missed on a couple throws last night and missed badly. He was also perfect on some throws and they were dropped. We really lack consistency at our play making positions on offense. With our QB and our WR's being both very good and pretty poor at times, it makes things look pretty bad at times. The good news is, both positions have the players that have, and can play better. A couple more made plays and that game looks like the *** kicking it was

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Until later this year when they line up with the same formation and run a different play that ends up being wide open for a 1st down or TD. Then it won't be idiotic and nobody will acknowledge what it took in September and October to make it successful in December either

I get that part of it, but this isn't a new formation and for whatever reason(s), it hasn't been working. While they can continue to run it and hope that eventually a successful play comes out of it, it is starting to feel like a formation that has run its course, at least to successfully run out of.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been successful. I only have to go back to last year and the offense was struggling all year and they put Cobb back there for a couple series and it added a spark. It hasn't always been, but then no formation is successful all the time either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It has been successful. I only have to go back to last year and the offense was struggling all year and they put Cobb back there for a couple series and it added a spark. It hasn't always been, but then no formation is successful all the time either.

Agreed....it was successful last year for awhile. But it appears defenses are now ready for it and that success has resulted in 7 rushes for 12 yards this year. I think my biggest issue with it this year is what happened last night, Lacy is running well, the offensive line is blocking well, why use it? With as hard as Lacy has been running, he is going to need to come out periodically, but that is when I would favor another RB coming in to spell him and just keep doing what has been working. Of course with the way Starks has been playing, that doesn't help my argument. :D

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You just don't run 190 Lb. WR's through 300 Lb. lineman.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stark's has been a dud this year, not impressive at all. We have issues at the backup RB position. Indecisive and slow are not qualities that help a RB and starks has both this year.

Lacy came out because he was winded, and then got hurt. He looks bigger already than in preseason and is injured now on top of it? Does t look great. It's disappointing because a healthy Lacy with some stamina would probably keep most everyone else out of the backfield, but I don't think we're ever going to see that.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stark's has been a dud this year, not impressive at all. We have issues at the backup RB position. Indecisive and slow are not qualities that help a RB and starks has both this year.

Lacy came out because he was winded, and then got hurt. He looks bigger already than in preseason and is injured now on top of it? Does t look great. It's disappointing because a healthy Lacy with some stamina would probably keep most everyone else out of the backfield, but I don't think we're ever going to see that.

Agree....An upgrade in the backup RB position is needed.

Members online

Latest posts