Duds and studs, official lions

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Duds......The whole team playing like "We got this", with no sense of urgency or fire from start to finish. When are they going to figure out that the offense seems to play better without huddling and without taking the play clock down to zero on almost every snap.

Also a shout out to the Dud NFL rule that keeps the game clock rolling, even after an offensive penalty. Detroit had 2 offensive penalties with about 5 minutes to go in the game, ran off over a minute of the game clock before an actual play that counted was run.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do we cut Rodgers as well? He played poorly this game.

Duds
Rodgers - missed throws, missed opportunities, hung on to the ball too long, a bad outing.
WRs - I get the impression there were some wrong routes out there
CB King - tough Outing. Couldn't get out of his own way today.
Crosby - what the hell happened today? He will be back and be fine.

Studs
Pettine - he had a tough row to ***. With the short fields our offense gave them, we actually did fairly well. Was it 17 pts off turnovers?
That's beneath you to make an assignment statement like that when you Know what the point was. This guy makes $5m plus a year to be what the 23rd rated kicker in the league and then puts on a display like this indoors? As for Me. Wonderful, in between his pissy face expressions and overthrowing Adams for a TD, I counted at least 4 times he threw incomplete to covered receivers with guys wide open elsewhere. Quit trying to make excuses for a **** show.

Reaction score
Duds......The whole team playing like "We got this", with no sense of urgency or fire from start to finish. When are they going to figure out that the offense seems to play better without huddling and without taking the play clock down to zero on almost every snap.

Also a shout out to the Dud NFL rule that keeps the game clock rolling, even after an offensive penalty. Detroit had 2 offensive penalties with about 5 minutes to go in the game, ran off over a minute of the game clock before an actual play that counted was run.
I was wondering about why the clock seemed to wane away at the end! A minute is everything in this game and teams shouldn’t be awarded for committing fouls. If anything they should reset the clock to the previous mark.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When does the offense ever do what you say? Down 17 pts they decide to go no huddle, but instead of picking up the tempo, we get to the l.os. and let the play clock wind to 5 seconds or less before every snap. Appears to be done deliberate. I agree fully about the lack of a sense of urgency but it’s been like this for years now. Just business as usual once you have become this highly successful.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most everyone's said what I would say so I just wanted to drop in one STUD that's been overlooked.

Tae Adams is a stud. He's had some tough DB match ups in every game, and he's delivered for us. Quick off the ball and can get separation, and great acceleration after the catch.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was wondering about why the clock seemed to wane away at the end! A minute is everything in this game and teams shouldn’t be awarded for committing fouls. If anything they should reset the clock to the previous mark.
It's been a pet peeve of mine for years. Now the referees can step in and say that the penalties are intentionally being committed by the offense to run the clock, but I have never seen that called. A smart coach, with a big enough lead, might instruct his players to take a few 5 yarders to run clock.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When does the offense ever do what you say? Down 17 pts they decide to go no huddle, but instead of picking up the tempo, we get to the l.os. and let the play clock wind to 5 seconds or less before every snap. Appears to be done deliberate. I agree fully about the lack of a sense of urgency but it’s been like this for years now. Just business as usual once you have become this highly successful.

Thanks for hammering my point home. ;)

Yes, even in the course of the game when the Packers are playing no huddle, AR will take the play clock down too low, but if you look back at some of his great comebacks, that wasn't the case. Today, nobody on that team seemed to care about the clock, nor the fact that the game wasn't out of reach.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for hammering my point home. ;)

Yes, even in the course of the game when the Packers are playing no huddle, AR will take the play clock down too low, but if you look back at some of his great comebacks, that wasn't the case. Today, nobody on that team seemed to care about the clock, nor the fact that the game wasn't out of reach.
And they done it deliberate.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s only well know because of his name. His INT numbers are good but half of them were balls thrown right to him. He’s gone after this year unless they get him on an unbelievably friendly deal.

You guys hit the HaHa right on the head. His first couple of years, I really was optimistic about the guy. In 2015 it looked as though he was really coming together, and then - ??? Where'd he go? He didn't seem to make any improvement at all in 16, and last year he actually seemed to look more like a rookie again. This year? So far, he just looks lost out there.

This is his 5th season. By this point in his career, he should be in his prime, using his years of experience to maximize his still-peak physical skills - for instance, when he sees the slot receiver do "x", the next thing that's going to happen is "y", and he needs to immediately do "z" to counter that... and so on. But instead, he looks as though he hasn't learned a damned thing... it's like the more he learns about all the different nuances that can unfold on every given snap, the more completely bewildered he gets about all the complexities.

Give him credit - if the ball comes to him, he'll make a play on it, but if he has to go find it he doesn't know where to begin. Very disappointing for a 5th-year 1st-round draft pick.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys hit the HaHa right on the head. His first couple of years, I really was optimistic about the guy. In 2015 it looked as though he was really coming together, and then - ??? Where'd he go? He didn't seem to make any improvement at all in 16, and last year he actually seemed to look more like a rookie again. This year? So far, he just looks lost out there.

This is his 5th season. By this point in his career, he should be in his prime, using his years of experience to maximize his still-peak physical skills. Instead, he looks as though he hasn't learned a thing. Give him credit - if the ball comes to him, he'll make a play on it, but if he has to go find it he doesn't know where to begin. Very disappointing for a 5th-year 1st-round draft pick.
I actually met him briefly in the beginning of his rookie year.... as soon as he started talking... I had my doubts about him... that’s all I will say on that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am weirdly encouraged by this game.

Don’t get me wrong— it was a heaping pile. BUT, some stuff was fluky (4 missed kicks? 2
strip sacks? A punt bounces off King?).

The offense being out of sync wasn’t fluky. It has been that way. But I just don’t buy that it will stay that way. At some point, Rodgers & Co are going to lock it in.

The defense is why I feel ok after this loss. They put together a strong performance on the road against an offense with a lot of firepower. They’ve continued to improve. If they keep it up and the defense comes around, they’re capable of a playoff run.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don’t get me wrong— it was a heaping pile. BUT, some stuff was fluky (4 missed kicks? 2

The offense being out of sync wasn’t fluky. It has been that way. But I just don’t buy that it will stay that way. At some point, Rodgers & Co are going to lock it in.

The defense is why I feel ok after this loss. They put together a strong performance on the road against an offense with a lot of firepower. They’ve continued to improve. If they keep it up and the defense comes around, they’re capable of a playoff run.
I have actually been thinking the same thing. Perhaps we are just crazy... but I really do think there were some positive signs hidden behind all the crap.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have actually been thinking the same thing. Perhaps we are just crazy... but I really do think there were some positive signs hidden behind all the crap.
My biggest complaint about MM is he just takes forever (or never) to make adjustments. The offense has looked in a funk the entire year except when they go into the no-huddle offense. It is like the offense then starts to focus and perform this year. How about playing an entire game as a no-huddle offense and see what happens? The only times this year that the offense has looked like normal is when we are down 20+ points and the team is like ok... now we can start playing. Granted 3 missed FG's in the first half along with 3 fumbles killed us, but look at the fact we had to go for 3 FG's instead of getting TD's.

Studs: MVS, Adams, ARod in the 2nd Half, Jones (when he actually got the ball), ESB

Duds: MM, ARod for holding onto the ball to long, edge guys (CM3, Perry, etc...), our safeties, interior OL has digressed massively this year, I know I'm missing someone else.... Oh that is right Crosby for actually missing out on 13 points by himself with his missed kicks (one could be forgiven)

One last thing... our edge rushers CM3, Perry, and any of the others... They basically have 3 jobs..

1. Get into the backfield and get the QB and/or RB with the ball
2. Tackle the guy with ball
3. Don't let anyone get outside of you... CONTAINMENT... HOLD THE EDGE... Don't care how it is delivered... but there isn't one edge guy on this team that understands the importance of edge containment. When was the last time we actually saw CM3 or Perry stop the RB from the outside and force that RB inside to where the other f'ing 10 players are!!!!! This is my biggest complaint of our defense... Outside of watching CM3 actually being the worst defender at the run option defense I've ever seen. He literally never chooses either the QB or the RB... Pick one and to be perfectly honest choose the QB and hit him EVERY SINGLE TIME. It isn't a penalty because the QB could actually have the ball with the deceptive manner of the play.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garbage field goal indeed but easily the best coaching move MM did today

I just don't get why people made such a big deal out of that. It is an 11 point game with 7 seconds left. Literally the only miniscule shot you have of getting that, is to kick the FG to make it a 1 score game with a couple ticks left, hope to pounce on an onside kick, and land the Hail Mary and 2 for overtime.

90% of coaches do that exact same thing there, it is the logical thing to do whether your kicker is struggling or not.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The raw numbers support your argument

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-7_21-45-5.png
    upload_2018-10-7_21-45-5.png
    486.4 KB · Views: 90

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "O" looked good in the 2nd half and accounted for a lot of that yardage... but what was the biggest difference between the 1st and 2nd halves... Instead of getting stopped and settling for FG's, we were finishing the drives with TD's. If we score only 1 TD instead of kicking the FG... we are probably talking differently tonight. The offense is in a funk until it seems like we have spotted the other team a large enough lead to change the attack mode of the offense. Why not start out the game and the entire first half in Alabama vs any one in NCAAF mode. Try to be leading by 35 at half time in every game... stop trying to slow mode the game and somehow this year we are down 14 points and the pressure is on us instead of putting the pressure on the opposing team.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question: Has Rodgers been guilty of not throwing to wide open receivers too often or is it about normal even for the best of QBs?

My perception is that Brady is the standard-bearer in this regard. He always seems to find the open man. But that could just be me and a bunch talking heads. Rodgers, I thought, was always good this, but I keep hearing otherwise.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
NFL officials - once again three blind mice. This was some of the worst home cooking I have ever seen.

Please....... This was indeed not a good crew, but you are mistaken if you think this was in any way "home cooking" for the Lions... At minimum, the OPI calls were borderline at best, there was DPI on the deep ball to Tate that wasn't called (his arm was very clearly grabbed), the holding on Slay could have gone either way (not mad about that one). The illegal shift call was crap, I'll give you that one. The taunting was technically called by the book, but you hardly see that flag thrown anymore.

In total, GB had 12, Detroit had 8. If you look through the play by play, there was (from what I saw) 1 bad call against GB, the illegal shift.

If you want to get into missed calls (on both sides), well sir, we will be here a while....

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews, Fackrell,Gilbert and Perry- zero combined sacks and pressures. And Perry is hurt again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Please....... This was indeed not a good crew, but you are mistaken if you think this was in any way "home cooking" for the Lions... At minimum, the OPI calls were borderline at best, there was DPI on the deep ball to Tate that wasn't called (his arm was very clearly grabbed), the holding on Slay could have gone either way (not mad about that one). The illegal shift call was crap, I'll give you that one. The taunting was technically called by the book, but you hardly see that flag thrown anymore.

In total, GB had 12, Detroit had 8. If you look through the play by play, there was (from what I saw) 1 bad call against GB, the illegal shift.

If you want to get into missed calls (on both sides), well sir, we will be here a while....

The Packers and their fans shouldn't blame this loss on anyone but themselves, not the refs and not the Lions, the Packers handed the Lions the game. I agree with you that most crap calls tend to balance out but once in awhile a bad call can be pointed out as a game changer. If there was one really bad call yesterday by both the refs and the booth that might be termed a "game changer", it was the supposed touch of the punted ball by King, that resulted in the Lions getting the ball at the one and scoring a TD. No matter how many times I looked at all the replay angles, not one of them even looked remotely like the ball hit King. However, blame King for putting himself in that position, because next time the ball will probably actually hit him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think anyone that thinks Jones can't catch the ball does not know what they are talking about.
So many duds...but my biggest is MM. His lack of turning a bunch of players into a team is just not acceptable. His lack of turning these young guys into mature people who can at least understand to put the team above themselves. His lack of teaching players to be men who understand the game situations and go about and try and do their job w/o thinking every damn play is some kind of victory. Of course the other coaches don't seem to understand these things either. God only knows what they talk about in meetings.

Members online

Latest posts