Duds and studs, official lions

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's esk
Matthews, Fackrell,Gilbert and Perry- zero combined sacks and pressures. And Perry is hurt again.

Two of the highest paid OLBs in the NFL at that and they stink. Plus I think we're stuck with Perry through 2020 as well. Ted really did a number on a couple of these contracts

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's esk

Two of the highest paid OLBs in the NFL at that and they stink. Plus I think we're stuck with Perry through 2020 as well. Ted really did a number on a couple of these contracts

This has and still is the Packers biggest defense problem. Until they fix the line, this defense won't ever be good. Getting rid of matthews this off-season is the first step. Unfortunately they are stuck with Perry for a few more years. But they need to draft outside line guys early this draft.

One thing that really irks me is Rodgers passing up on check downs constantly and then taking the stupid sack.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have also been thoroughly unimpressed with Jimmy Graham. Forget the issue of scheming him to be involved, he just doesn't look like a game-changer. I have yet to see him make a play that separates him from an average tight end. In fact, he does not use his size well and does not go for balls at their apex. He doesn't even look like he wants the ball or fights for it. The number of times I've yelled at the monitor, "GO FOR THE BALL DAMN IT" is far too many. Not to mention that when he does, his hands are not impressive. That play in the end zone yesterday should have been a TD. It literally went straight through his hands. In addition, he fell down on the jump ball to him in the endzone, which I thought was a decent ball and what is supposed to be his trademark play and the reason we brought him here. Honestly, I really really hope he can prove me wrong, but all I'm seeing is a slow, blundering large man out there with mediocre hands and the inability to effectively use his size. A little harsh, maybe, but I'm frustrated.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately they are stuck with Perry for a few more years.

They could do a post June 1 cut next year. Would mean a big cap hit of roughly $7M in 2020 of $7M and 3M in 2019, but right now.. Perry seems pretty useless out there.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Sportrac, roughly $14.7M
I tried reading on his contract details and don't really understand it. It says that after 2018 we aren't really on the hook for much. But dead cap space is still shows over 14mil for 2019.
Either way Sometimes you need to admit you made a bad deal and move on. This guy can't stay healthy and basically disappears for games.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today MM is doubling down on his campaign for Dudsville mayor. When asked about Aaron Jones "I'd love to get Aaron more opportunities"...as if he's not in charge of that!!! Then following up with, "I think it's very obvious the balance that we're seeking from the running back position...I feel really good how our backs are being rotated." Yeah, that's right, MM is comfortable with the best RB being on the field for 22 plays during a game. Your head coach of the Green Bay Packers everyone!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Today MM is doubling down on his campaign for Dudsville mayor. When asked about Aaron Jones "I'd love to get Aaron more opportunities"...as if he's not in charge of that!!! Then following up with, "I think it's very obvious the balance that we're seeking from the running back position...I feel really good how our backs are being rotated." Yeah, that's right, MM is comfortable with the best RB being on the field for 22 plays during a game. Your head coach of the Green Bay Packers everyone!
The only time ever he didn't say that was during the Lacey / Tolzien era. Otherwise on Monday after almost every game it's "yeah, we need to get the hot RB the ball more."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s getting old. Everyone on offense outside of the QB was pretty productive. Jones may be our most explosive runner, but it didn’t matter on Sunday. Everyone touching the ball did well, and I’d say Williams was more so.

Go back and watch. Jones isn’t always better. Williams had 6 hard yards. Jones got eaten up at the line. Offense was not a problem outside of kicker and Rodgers turning it over

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I tried reading on his contract details and don't really understand it. It says that after 2018 we aren't really on the hook for much. But dead cap space is still shows over 14mil for 2019.
Either way Sometimes you need to admit you made a bad deal and move on. This guy can't stay healthy and basically disappears for games.

While I agree that Perry isn't playing up to his contract and most likely will end up being a mistake to resign at that contract, who do you move on to? With Clay probably gone, the Packers are about as thin as a team can be at OLB as it is. Signing a top FA OLB is off the charts $$ wise, so drafting one is about your best hope. Can the Packers start 2019 with Gilbert, Fackrell and a couple of rookies at OLB?

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that Perry isn't playing up to his contract and most likely will end up being a mistake to resign at that contract, who do you move on to? With Clay probably gone, the Packers are about as thin as a team can be at OLB as it is. Signing a top FA OLB is off the charts $$ wise, so drafting one is about your best hope. Can the Packers start 2019 with Gilbert, Fackrell and a couple of rookies at OLB?

I would take my chances with some high draft picks and maybe a few cheap veterans. Right now we are paying premium price for below average anyway. Might as well give others a shot, we already know what we have inMatthews and Perry

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s getting old. Everyone on offense outside of the QB was pretty productive. Jones may be our most explosive runner, but it didn’t matter on Sunday. Everyone touching the ball did well, and I’d say Williams was more so.

Go back and watch. Jones isn’t always better. Williams had 6 hard yards. Jones got eaten up at the line. Offense was not a problem outside of kicker and Rodgers turning it over

Really hard to tell when you give a guy 7 carries. And yeah, they were all gonna look great against one of the three worst run defenses in the NFL. Given 15 carries I'm fairly positive Jones would have had 100+ yards.

And there were numerous issues with guys getting open, it wasn't just "Crosby and Rodgers were awful, everything else was great!"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And there were numerous issues with guys getting open, it wasn't just "Crosby and Rodgers were awful, everything else was great!"

Agreed......while everyone wants to point to Crosby missing the FG's, why was he having to attempt that many FG's? Because the offense wasn't able to score TD's. Not having Cobb and Allison hurt, but I have to put the big Dud star on #12's head in this game. For whatever reason, he just didn't look himself. Maybe with the 2 rookie WR's he put too much on his own shoulders mentally, instead of just playing loose.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Agreed......while everyone wants to point to Crosby missing the FG's, why was he having to attempt that many FG's? Because the offense wasn't able to score TD's. Not having Cobb and Allison hurt, but I have to put the big Dud star on #12's head in this game. For whatever reason, he just didn't look himself. Maybe with the 2 rookie WR's he put too much on his own shoulders mentally, instead of just playing loose.

He is hurt and been hurt since the season started. He got his knee banged up again running for the first down yesterday. They were down 14-0 at end of 1st quarter which changes how plays are called. Also, driving all the way down the damn field and coming up with zero points takes a toll on everyone. Rodgers still kept slinging it and coming at em.

This team needs a "W" against Niners and a bye. We just gotta be a little patient right now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There was one play where Perry really popped to me with a great rush— best individual edge rush I’ve seen this season. Textbook. And the. He disappeared.

I’m guessing he’s playing through something... as usual.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really hard to tell when you give a guy 7 carries. And yeah, they were all gonna look great against one of the three worst run defenses in the NFL. Given 15 carries I'm fairly positive Jones would have had 100+ yards.

If you believe there was a problem with guys getting open you were too busy listenening to blowhards reciting prepared bullet points to yack over during the game rather than actually watching it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He is hurt and been hurt since the season started. He got his knee banged up again running for the first down yesterday. They were down 14-0 at end of 1st quarter which changes how plays are called. Also, driving all the way down the damn field and coming up with zero points takes a toll on everyone. Rodgers still kept slinging it and coming at em.

This team needs a "W" against Niners and a bye. We just gotta be a little patient right now.

He played outstanding at times yesterday and is, of course, still a huge net positive to the team overall. But it can’t be denied that at times this year he’s failing to see open receivers or failing to put the ball on some that he does see. Some of them I have a hard time blaming on the knee. Certainly the knee has been to blame for some of the issues, but yesterday there were just some plays where he straight up missed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you believe there was a problem with guys getting open you were too busy listenening to blowhards reciting prepared bullet points to yack over during the game rather than actually watching it.

I saw all sorts. I saw plays where no one was open, I saw plays where guys were open that Rodgers didn’t see (or saw and didn’t go to is possible, I suppose), plays where they were open and the throw was off, and plays where the receiver dropped the ball. There was plenty of ineptitude to go around.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes there were a couple plays where nobody was wide open. It’s the NFL. Someone isn’t wide open on every play. Sometimes it’s all about ball placement and that’s open enough. GB had plenty of open receivers on Sunday. I remember the TD to MVS and earlier they had run similar to other side of the field. He was open immediately and maybe he turns it up and makes a guy miss for a 15+ yard play or maybe it’s just a 6 yard catch and it’s 2nd and 4. Rodgers didn’t throw it, held t and eventually threw it out of bounds because nobody was open, and they were sure to foreword the replay far enough past MVS coming open to illustrate their pre-rehearsed talking point

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes there were a couple plays where nobody was wide open. It’s the NFL. Someone isn’t wide open on every play. Sometimes it’s all about ball placement and that’s open enough. GB had plenty of open receivers on Sunday. I remember the TD to MVS and earlier they had run similar to other side of the field. He was open immediately and maybe he turns it up and makes a guy miss for a 15+ yard play or maybe it’s just a 6 yard catch and it’s 2nd and 4. Rodgers didn’t throw it, held t and eventually threw it out of bounds because nobody was open, and they were sure to foreword the replay far enough past MVS coming open to illustrate their pre-rehearsed talking point

I would say that, in my opinion, there were multiple plays where no one was open even by NFL standards and no good read to go with the ball. But that was far from the only issue. Rodgers was the problem at times as well.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He played outstanding at times yesterday and is, of course, still a huge net positive to the team overall. But it can’t be denied that at times this year he’s failing to see open receivers or failing to put the ball on some that he does see. Some of them I have a hard time blaming on the knee. Certainly the knee has been to blame for some of the issues, but yesterday there were just some plays where he straight up missed.

He is obviously holding on to the ball to long sometimes but when your down the way they were it intensifies the need to make big plays downfield.

The bottom line is there not clicking on all cylinders and we have all seen this before in previous seasons early on. It makes me think that he was hurt last season and hardly played this preseason and then got hurt and hasn't practiced much since. So yes I dont see the knee directly affecting some things but indirectly affecting some chemistry issues.

Also, how many times did we see receivers so close to each other on pass plays? There is a lot to clean up here but they have a few weeks to do it and believe they can.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't get why people made such a big deal out of that. It is an 11 point game with 7 seconds left. Literally the only miniscule shot you have of getting that, is to kick the FG to make it a 1 score game with a couple ticks left, hope to pounce on an onside kick, and land the Hail Mary and 2 for overtime.

90% of coaches do that exact same thing there, it is the logical thing to do whether your kicker is struggling or not.
That is kind of my whole point, when the best thing the coach did all day is the thing that a 1st grade math level tells you to do...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that, in my opinion, there were multiple plays where no one was open even by NFL standards and no good read to go with the ball. But that was far from the only issue. Rodgers was the problem at times as well.
And that happens. It’s the NFL. There isn’t always a win on every play. But they won on enough of them IMO

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No. I watched it. I just don't pretend that 5-7 missed open receivers were the only problems with the offense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts