Duds and studs, official lions

H

HardRightEdge

There were thirty minutes left in the game. The Packers did NOT have to score within 4 minutes on every one of their drives. There was plenty of time to mix in the run with the expectation that a few of those runs (had they been given to Jones at least) would probably have picked up decent chunks of yardage. If the offense scores within six minutes that's no a problem, especially when your passing game is relying pretty heavily on rookie receivers.

I'm no saying the Packer should have handed the ball off 35 times in the second half but any suggestion that the halftime deficit was a good reason to not give Aaron Jones a SINGLE carry in the second half is just plain wrong.
Sorry, but 24 - zip says you're not going to be running a balanced attack. You're not going score on every possession; not chewing up the clock yields more possessions.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sorry, but 24 - zip says you're not going to be running a balanced attack. You're not going score on every possession; not chewing up the clock yields more possessions.

Agreed, nor will your defense probably hold the other team scoreless.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Right, you can't count on either. Maximizing possessions by not chewing up the clock provides the best chance to get back in the game.

Yup and actually the Packers looked like they just might catch the Lions, but mistakes on both offense and defense, as well as the clock prevented that from happening.

Not sure how Rodgers knee is doing, but I really want to see the offense pick up the Pace against the 49ers. Might be hard to do with 2 rookie WR's at Ford Field, but the slow tempo we saw for much of the game on Sunday did not seem to bode well for the Packer offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Brown's 15 yard jaw jacking standing over the player was a killer. We were within striking distance and our defense just made a stop and he gave it right back to them. That's a turnover right there and not only did we give the ball back to them, they then let them go down and score.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Brown's 15 yard jaw jacking standing over the player was a killer. We were within striking distance and our defense just made a stop and he gave it right back to them. That's a turnover right there and not only did we give the ball back to them, they then let them go down and score.

Welcome to the NFL where standing over a guy gets you a 15 yard penalty on defense after you make a 3rd down stop, but then lets receivers dance like fools if they make a catch that earned them a 1st down. The NFL might as well ban playing with emotion on defense at this point.

H

HardRightEdge

Welcome to the NFL where standing over a guy gets you a 15 yard penalty on defense after you make a 3rd down stop, but then lets receivers dance like fools if they make a catch that earned them a 1st down. The NFL might as well ban playing with emotion on defense at this point.
Taunting is illegal for good reason. It's the first step toward a fist fight. Maybe it was, "Next time I'm gonna rip off your head and **** down your neck, you little *****, then I'm gonna go to your mama's house and **** her up the ***."

Would that be enough for a flag?

The point being, unless you can tell me what he said there really isn't any way to judge.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While I didn't like the call on Brown and also thought Brown was an idiot for even giving the Refs a reason to toss a flag, I have seen the penalty called pretty consistently on both offensive and defensive players. Defensive players are allowed to get up and celebrate, just not if its considered taunting the opponent.

This was a rule Brown should have learned way before he became a Pro and really not a bad rule IMO. Don't want the NFL looking like the WWF.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That brown penalty was really bad, he should know better. We were gaining momentum and I really think we woulda won had we stopped them and scored. Instead, they got a first down and went and scored on us. Big turning point for the game

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you win a play, you haven’t really won because you have to line up again. Why not celebrate when you actually win. Brown lost and so did his team. I hope he learned something from it. Besides, the ball was poorly thrown and should have been picked. Why the need to posture? Insecurity?

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taunting is illegal for good reason. It's the first step toward a fist fight. Maybe it was, "Next time I'm gonna rip off your head and **** down your neck, you little *****, then I'm gonna go to your mama's house and **** her up the ***."

Would that be enough for a flag?

The point being, unless you can tell me what he said there really isn't any way to judge.

You're right, I agree that some things such as the above SHOULD be penalized, but at least give the a guy a warning or something? If the ref hears some choice words he should walk over to the guy and let him know he's penalizing him on the next one he hears. It's not like Brown was in the game getting in the face of the Lions players repeatedly. This was a one time stare after a big 3rd down stop. The official need to approach those type of penalties with more perspective imo.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think a player even has to say anything to get the flag for taunting? Just mere gestures or body language can bring the yellow flag. I wonder if the officials saw Earl Thomas flipping off his own teammates, while being carted off after his broken leg, they thought about throwing a flag, but who do you give the yardage too?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ken smith

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d give Martinez a stud vote, but lately I’m wondering if he’s that good, or just running around picking up slack for a defense with a lot of holes.
Three big immediate turnovers, and a normally quality kicker with a horrible day... seems more like two awful scenarios converged at the same time since it was a pretty good game otherwise. Happens all the time in Vegas... red black red black should be the norm until you see how many times that wheel comes up red six or seven times in a row. The laws of probability and karma are tricky things.
But one things for sure... those avoidable penalties are game killers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I’d give Martinez a stud vote, but lately I’m wondering if he’s that good, or just running around picking up slack for a defense with a lot of holes.

That's just it. All these damn picks on defense and who is really "That Good" other then Clark?

We should have 3-4 game changers by now with all the draft picks on that side of the ball and high picks at that. Its maddening.

Ken smith

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think a player even has to say anything to get the flag for taunting? Just mere gestures or body language can bring the yellow flag. I wonder if the officials saw Earl Thomas flipping off his own teammates, while being carted off after his broken leg, they thought about throwing a flag, but who do you give the yardage too?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Taunting penalties are not really game infraction penalties. Pretty certain that those players are all big boys and know how to handle trash talk and gestures. The taunting penalty is more to preserve the image of the game to fans and viewers just like the uniform rules. So... if the taunting is verbal... the ref probably just tells them to move along. But if it becomes visual to the crowd or tv cameras a penalty gets called.

H

HardRightEdge

Three big immediate turnovers, and a normally quality kicker with a horrible day... seems more like two awful scenarios converged at the same time since it was a pretty good game otherwise. Happens all the time in Vegas... red black red black should be the norm until you see how many times that wheel comes up red six or seven times in a row. The laws of probability and karma are tricky things.
But one things for sure... those avoidable penalties are game killers.
The odds of a roulette wheel hitting on red 6 times in a row is approximately 1 out of 88, 1 out of 185 for 7 in a row. So we got that going for us. ;)

Ken smith

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just it. All these damn picks on defense and who is really "That Good" other then Clark?

We should have 3-4 game changers by now with all the draft picks on that side of the ball and high picks at that. Its maddening.
I definitely agree with that

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is really bad is that our coaches cannot instill a winning attitude so that players don't make stupid mistakes. I don't care if it is a good rule or not. I just wish our coaches could teach our guys to play in the team's best interest. It is all so classless. And we are down by what...24? Does he think he just saved the game? I blame it on the coaches. They have to be able to make these guys play with intelligence and understanding or they are not doing their job.

Ken smith

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is really bad is that our coaches cannot instill a winning attitude so that players don't make stupid mistakes. I don't care if it is a good rule or not. I just wish our coaches could teach our guys to play in the team's best interest. It is all so classless. And we are down by what...24? Does he think he just saved the game? I blame it on the coaches. They have to be able to make these guys play with intelligence and understanding or they are not doing their job.
Dang if you didn’t hit it on the head. Rules are rules whether you like em or not, and as highly paid professionals....

Ken smith

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, I agree that some things such as the above SHOULD be penalized, but at least give the a guy a warning or something? If the ref hears some choice words he should walk over to the guy and let him know he's penalizing him on the next one he hears. It's not like Brown was in the game getting in the face of the Lions players repeatedly. This was a one time stare after a big 3rd down stop. The official need to approach those type of penalties with more perspective imo.
You got a point, but if they all got a warning all of them would be out there taking their freebie. They all know the rules going in. I guarantee that after every third down stop, the offensive players are pushing all the buttons they can hoping the defensive player retaliates because the second one in gets the flag 99 out of 100 times. They all play the game and know how it works going in. I think.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i thought hundley was our guy? I must of missed the “hundley is a dud” email

This being an internet message board, nobody wants to be the first person to jump to a premature conclusion and make a rash, sweeping statement, but... I'll go out on a limb and say it's starting to look as though he may not have a real promising future here in Green Bay.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This being an internet message board, nobody wants to be the first person to jump to a premature conclusion and make a rash, sweeping statement, but... I'll go out on a limb and say it's starting to look as though he may not have a real promising future here in Green Bay.
Well, that must have then be the reason why he got traded to the Hawks at the start of the season

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that must have then be the reason why he got traded to the Hawks at the start of the season

Like I say... I hate to jump to premature conclusions, but if we start to see a few more indicators like that pile up on top of one another, I'm gonna start to believe some of the rumors that he may - possibly - not be a big part of Green Bay's long term plans.

It just doesn't pay to be hasty. As fans, there is only so much we can guess about the organization's true intentions for a promising young player. Personally, I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion one way or another. Rumors can go either way; McCarthy has always spoken very highly of him, and all we can do is wait and see what kind of meaningful hints the front office may or may not give away about his long term future. These people are geniuses at hiding their true intentions. They're absolute masters of deception, and I'm not going to let myself get tricked by their clever smoke screens.

Members online

No members online now.