David Bakhtiari signs 4-year extension

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they have his replacement on the roster already in jenkins. they sure could use the cap savings he'd provide. i don't really understand it. yes he's great but they could keep two or three guys for what he's costing. there's only one way this makes sense to me since the big hits start in 2022.

I don’t think Jenkins is a LT. Spot play, sure, but no more than that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes-- I did.

No, you didn't as far as I can tell. While you included the draft class in your calculation you're ignoring the following.

The Packers currently only have 37 players under contract. While seven rookies will be added via the draft the four players released in your scenario bring the total number to 40. If the team fills out the bottom of the roster solely with first year players making the minimum that would take a cap hit of $8.58 million. Adding the practice squad adds another $1.9 million in cap space, actually leaving the team with roughly $4.5 million to work with in your scenario.

they have his replacement on the roster already in jenkins. they sure could use the cap savings he'd provide. i don't really understand it. yes he's great but they could keep two or three guys for what he's costing. there's only one way this makes sense to me since the big hits start in 2022.

Here are Bakhtiari's cap hits moving forward if the team decides to convert his roster bonus for next season into a signing bonus before it's due in March:

2021: $10.822 million
2022: $22.875 million
2023: $26.375 million
2024: $30.375 million

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones isn’t dialing up humongous numbers at this point. Could change if he stays healthy but there is only one football to go around and yardage numbers are finite. What I don’t know is what his free agent RB competition looks like.
Maybe that’s why they haven’t been playing him that much keep his numbers down easier to resign him.. there is no reason for him to not get at least 15 rushes and 5 catches a game....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No, you didn't as far as I can tell. While you included the draft class in your calculation you're ignoring the following.

The Packers currently only have 37 players under contract. While seven rookies will be added via the draft the four players released in your scenario bring the total number to 40. If the team fills out the bottom of the roster solely with first year players making the minimum that would take a cap hit of $8.58 million. Adding the practice squad adds another $1.9 million in cap space, actually leaving the team with roughly $4.5 million to work with in your scenario.

Here are Bakhtiari's cap hits moving forward if the team decides to convert his roster bonus for next season into a signing bonus before it's due in March:

2021: $10.822 million
2022: $22.875 million
2023: $26.375 million
2024: $30.375 million

I literally said at the end of the post that by creating ~15M in space I would estimate that they’d be able to account for the rest of the roster spots beyond the draft picks.

That estimate may be wrong, but it’s there. Either you aren’t reading it, or you’re being intentionally obtuse because you want to pick nits.

With the players still on the roster from this year, plus 10 draft picks, I would have us around 45 players. I am suggesting that the 15M in space that I accounted for would be sufficient from there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I literally said at the end of the post that by creating ~15M in space I would estimate that they’d be able to account for the rest of the roster spots beyond the draft picks.

That estimate may be wrong, but it’s there. Either you aren’t reading it, or you’re being intentionally obtuse because you want to pick nits.

With the players still on the roster from this year, plus 10 draft picks, I would have us around 45 players. I am suggesting that the 15M in space that I accounted for would be sufficient from there.

Well, you didn't say what the $15 million would be sufficient for. But let's leave it that.

The Packers could even save a total of $20.89 million of cap space by extending Adams and Z. Of course that would result in the prorated portion of their signing bonuses counting against the cap until 2025.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, you didn't say what the $15 million would be sufficient for. But let's leave it that.

The Packers could even save a total of $20.89 million of cap space by extending Adams and Z. Of course that would result in the prorated portion of their signing bonuses counting against the cap until 2025.

No, let's not leave it at that. Because if you read my post, it's pretty clear why I was saying they needed to create more space: to fill out the rest of the roster.

Let's leave it at: you don't read OR you're on an insufferable quest to find something to criticize in every post on this forum.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Captain, with all due respect, a discussion with you is becoming more and more all take and no give. You refuse to even consider that you could have interpreted wrong, misread, or even just be wrong.

I’m saying this because I like you. I enjoy the discussions you create. You challenge thoughts, and that’s necessary! However, lately you’ve been more stubborn than usual. I guess for the sake of not ruining the conversation here, I’m asking you to self reflect a little as to how you discuss here.

Best regards, a friend and fellow Packer fan.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they can legitimately make it under the 175M cap without bludgeoning the roster to the point that the team suffers greatly. We’ll likely have a couple of weaker spots but heck, every team has that every year.
Ten draft picks, the obligatory 1-3 UDFA rookies, probably 2-4 promotions from this year’s practice squad gets you very close to 53. We all know there are probably also 3-5 guys currently under contract that will get cut that haven’t been counted in the previous numbers. We’ll get there. It’s not an impossible situation for Gutekunst and Ball. The numbers are just tighter but hey, they’re tight for everyone. No one planned for this type of scenario a few years ago.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BuT WE Can’T AffOrD hIm!

/none of us knows crap about the salary cap. Maybe this will teach people.
Good point, especially this year. The upcoming cap is determined, I think, by last year's revenue. With 32 all-but empty stadiums, that's a lot of lost revenue.. So to sign Bakh to this lucrative a contract seems, well, unwise. The risk, of course, is losing him in FA, but all teams are in the same situation re" the cap.

I'm no cap expert, but they back loaded his contact. Yeah, he gets $30 mil guaranteed. If age catches up with him (this is his third contract), could they let min walk in two years while minimizing dead cap? I think the answer is no, for the most part. But it does seem like a clever way to structure the contract.

Now, what about Jones, Linsley, and to a lesser extent, King. I don';t much care if King walks. Linsley is, if anything, getting better. And Jones, barring injury, is too valuable to let walk.

Will they have money for FAs if they can't sign these guys? I doubt it. That means Gluten needs a kick *** Defensive draft, at least one impact player or a trade (and a few prayers considering they'll draft late. Chicago is rich on D, poor on O. GB is the reverse. How about trading Love to the Bears? I dunno, I'm trying (and not succeeding) to four on this season. BIG test in Indy to identify GB as a contender, or pretender.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe that’s why they haven’t been playing him that much keep his numbers down easier to resign him.. there is no reason for him to not get at least 15 rushes and 5 catches a game....
I think it depends on game situations generally but I also think they want to balance the use of the RB’s so they are still fresh late in the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
\
I think it guarantees it.
I think they find a way to keep Jones given that 1.) Dillon is showing little and 2.( Williams will not be back, But that's about it. Linsley, Williams, King - all gone. Can't say i'll miss King much. Well, there's not much to miss. He's only on the field 40% of the time.....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
\

I think they find a way to keep Jones given that 1.) Dillon is showing little and 2.( Williams will not be back, But that's about it. Linsley, Williams, King - all gone. Can't say i'll miss King much. Well, there's not much to miss. He's only on the field 40% of the time.....

You could also flip that expectation and so that Williams may be kept because Jones will be gone.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never really thought Jones was coming back. This deal with Bakhtiari just makes me feel more confident about that. I think Jamaal comes back, and they draft a back. Depending on how FA turns out, I bet they could sign a back too.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, let's not leave it at that. Because if you read my post, it's pretty clear why I was saying they needed to create more space: to fill out the rest of the roster.

You literally posted that $15 million of cap space is sufficient. That's it.

How on earth should I know what you consider that amount enough for??? It would have been entirely possible you expect to re-sign Jones or anyone else headed for free agency with it.

It’s not an impossible situation for Gutekunst and Ball. The numbers are just tighter but hey, they’re tight for everyone. No one planned for this type of scenario a few years ago.

The Packers will definitely get under the cap for next season but Bakhtiari's extension definitely didn't make it any easier. While there are a lot of teams in a similar or even worse situation regarding the cap some clubs (like the Colts and Patriots) enter next offseason with a decent amount of cap space.

I'm no cap expert, but they back loaded his contact. Yeah, he gets $30 mil guaranteed. If age catches up with him (this is his third contract), could they let min walk in two years while minimizing dead cap? I think the answer is no, for the most part. But it does seem like a clever way to structure the contract.

The Packers could release Bakhtiari after two seasons resulting in "only" $12 million of dead money at this point. If they convert his roster to a signing bonus before March that number increase by $5.75 million.

As mentioned in the salary cap thread the team most likely won't have a lot of cap space available to make any moves next offseason.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could also flip that expectation and so that Williams may be kept because Jones will be gone.
Very true, and likely to happen if Jones can command $15 mil/year as a FA. GB won't pay that. But given his size, and occasional history injury, I think the Packers can sign him for well under $15 mil. Maybe that's wishful thinking. I always thought they signed Dillon as a replacement for Jones, but with his limited snaps, that's unlikely.

Williams is a good runner, and more built for the position long haul. So if it comes down to that and Jones walks, it won't be a disaster for GB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never really thought Jones was coming back. This deal with Bakhtiari just makes me feel more confident about that. I think Jamaal comes back, and they draft a back. Depending on how FA turns out, I bet they could sign a back too.

That's the most likely scenario. And we won't know how good Dillon is for a while, or unless Jones or Williams gets injured, heaven forbid.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain, with all due respect, a discussion with you is becoming more and more all take and no give. You refuse to even consider that you could have interpreted wrong, misread, or even just be wrong.

I’m saying this because I like you. I enjoy the discussions you create. You challenge thoughts, and that’s necessary! However, lately you’ve been more stubborn than usual. I guess for the sake of not ruining the conversation here, I’m asking you to self reflect a little as to how you discuss here.

Best regards, a friend and fellow Packer fan.
Well said, and I think you reflect the feelings of a lot of people here. I've ignored him for quite some time, and that feature should really only be used for trolls. He's not a troll, just a guy who always has to insist he is right.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that would be crazy as whatever that number is is an immediate negative number to the cap for that amount. nah if he's kept it has to be a contract structured like the last two...with the big hits coming in 2022.
With all these deferrals and potential deferrals, 2022 and especially 2023 are gonna be ugly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This deal is going to be pointed to by many when discussing paying players MASSIVE money vs the risk of injury. One could make a decently valid case for the fact that his ACL injury was a massive reason why we did nothing in the playoffs two straight years. I love the guy, and the deal made sense at the time but we are talking an INSANE amount of money that has given us nothing really of measure since.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This deal is going to be pointed to by many when discussing paying players MASSIVE money vs the risk of injury. One could make a decently valid case for the fact that his ACL injury was a massive reason why we did nothing in the playoffs two straight years. I love the guy, and the deal made sense at the time but we are talking an INSANE amount of money that has given us nothing really of measure since.
Its unfortunate but you had to pay him. The best LT in the game who had been fairly reliable. You keep those around and pay a premium for it.

ITs not like we handed out a long term, big money deal to someone like... Idk... Nick Perry who only had one good season and even when he was on the field he would be playing with some type of limiting ailment. That would have been stupid... Oh whats that? We did do that?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its unfortunate but you had to pay him. The best LT in the game who had been fairly reliable. You keep those around and pay a premium for it.

ITs not like we handed out a long term, big money deal to someone like... Idk... Nick Perry who only had one good season and even when he was on the field he would be playing with some type of limiting ailment. That would have been stupid... Oh whats that? We did do that?

The crazy thing is, had we just had a little more knowledge on just how special and good Jenkins is you may not have done it. It would have pissed Rodgers off but oh well hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The crazy thing is, had we just had a little more knowledge on just how special and good Jenkins is you may not have done it. It would have pissed Rodgers off but oh well hindsight is 20/20 as they say.
Interesting to think about. In what round was Jenkins drafted? I don't think anyone had any idea of his immense talent, all on a rookie deal for now. How many guys can play all 5 positions on the OL at that level? None that I can think of really.

Well a lot of what happens next with GB will depend on whether or not Rodgers stays. The only sure thing is, Rodgers or not, this team will look a lot different come September.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to think about. In what round was Jenkins drafted? I don't think anyone had any idea of his immense talent, all on a rookie deal for now. How many guys can play all 5 positions on the OL at that level? None that I can think of really.

Well a lot of what happens next with GB will depend on whether or not Rodgers stays. The only sure thing is, Rodgers or not, this team will look a lot different come September.

Oh a ton of folks knew Jenkins was going to be a bonafide starter along the line without question when we picked him 44th in the 2019 draft - but you can never bank on someone being as good as he was as fast as he was for sure or to the level he has been.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh a ton of folks knew Jenkins was going to be a bonafide starter along the line without question when we picked him 44th in the 2019 draft - but you can never bank on someone being as good as he was as fast as he was for sure or to the level he has been.
Thanks. I didn't realize he went that high in the second round. And yeah, he has certainly exceeded expectations, even for a 44th pick.

Members online

Latest posts