David Bakhtiari signs 4-year extension

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you watched Rodgers’ press conference after the Jaguars game... it seemed pretty obvious that he doesn’t expect the Packers to retain Jones.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It isn't simply cutting Preston and Lowry to cover Bahk. We already before the Bahk deal are over the cap for 2021 if we filled the entire rest of our roster out with minimum contracts and draft picks.

Adding Bahk, just made us even MORE over the cap...and folks clamoring for Jones so blindly don't realize the damage to both depth and even some starters that will hold.

Now I get it if folks think it is worth cutting a ton of others and depending on rookies and bottom FAs to play large roles in order to keep Jones....but people just blindly saying it is a no brainer to sign him especially now that Bahk is signed just don't understand contracts and cap enough.

Overthecap has the Packers with 2.2M in space next off-season, without figuring on Bakh's new deal.

To the best of my knowledge, Bakh's hit next year will be 11.1M, which would leave the Packers at -8.9M.

The rookie class (draft picks) will cost roughly 7.5M in cap space, which would have them at -16.4.

Cuts/Trades that seem obvious right now:

-Preston Smith (+8M)
-Ricky Wagner (+4.25M)
-Dean Lowry (+3.3M)

Those moves would have them at -.85M; so almost even. But that's obviously not good enough. They will need to sign a couple lower cost veterans (maybe Jamaal Williams or Montravius Adams) and undrafted players to fill out the roster depth. There are a number of restricted and exclusive rights guys they will want back (Lazard, Barnes, Lancaster, Sullivan, Tonyan) or may want back (Nijman, Ento, Redmond, Boyle, Greene). Plus they will want to build an operating cushion to carry into the 2021 season.

So here are the other options.

Less obvious cuts/trades:

-Z'Darius Smith (+10.75M)
-Christian Kirksey (+6M)
-Adrian Amos (+4.55M)
-Billy Turner (+3.55M)
-Devin Funchess (+1.4M)

And then there's the potential to restructure.

-Z'Darius' cap hit in 2021 is 20.75M and his has two years remaining on his deal. His cap his in 2022 is already pretty big, but they could consider enlarging it to save some space in '21. Or they could consider an extension into 2023 or 2024 that might allow them to spread things out a little bit more easily.

-Davante Adams needs an extension. His cap hit next year is 16.6M. They could do with him what they have already done with Bakhtiari and give him a new deal with a lower 2021 hit-- say 12M or so. Which would save 4.6M against the cap in '21.

-They could also restructure with Rodgers, but given that the current plan seems to be to transition to Love at some point, that would make less sense.

If it's me...

If I could wave a magic wand and just do whatever I want, I would.

-Cut Kirksey, and now you're at ~5M.
-Extend Adams and lower his '21 number. Now you're at ~10M.
-Tack a year onto Z. Smith's contract and spread more of the cap into '22 and '23. Now you're at ~15M.

I think 15M, with the draft class already accounted for in that number, would be sufficient.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you watched Rodgers’ press conference after the Jaguars game... it seemed pretty obvious that he doesn’t expect the Packers to retain Jones.

I'll have to check this out....didn't get that feel but was playing with my one year old while I played it may have missed it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overthecap has the Packers with 2.2M in space next off-season, without figuring on Bakh's new deal.

To the best of my knowledge, Bakh's hit next year will be 11.1M, which would leave the Packers at -8.9M.

The rookie class (draft picks) will cost roughly 7.5M in cap space, which would have them at -16.4.

-Preston Smith (+8M)
-Ricky Wagner (+4.25M)
-Dean Lowry (+3.3M)

Those moves would have them at -.85M; so almost even. But that's obviously not good enough. They will need to sign a couple lower cost veterans (maybe Jamaal Williams or Montravius Adams) and undrafted players to fill out the roster depth. There are a number of restricted and exclusive rights guys they will want back (Lazard, Barnes, Lancaster, Sullivan, Tonyan) or may want back (Nijman, Ento, Redmond, Boyle, Greene). Plus they will want to build an operating cushion to carry into the 2021 season.

-Christian Kirksey (+6M)
-Adrian Amos (+4.55M)
-Billy Turner (+3.55M)
-Devin Funchess (+1.4M)

-Z'Darius' cap hit in 2021 is 20.75M and his has two years remaining on his deal. His cap his in 2022 is already pretty big, but they could consider enlarging it to save some space in '21. Or they could consider an extension into 2023 or 2024 that might allow them to spread things out a little bit more easily.

-Davante Adams needs an extension. His cap hit next year is 16.6M. They could do with him what they have already done with Bakhtiari and give him a new deal with a lower 2021 hit-- say 12M or so. Which would save 4.6M against the cap in '21.

-They could also restructure with Rodgers, but given that the current plan seems to be to transition to Love at some point, that would make less sense.

If it's me...

-Tack a year onto Z. Smith's contract and spread more of the cap into '22 and '23. Now you're at ~15M.

I think 15M, with the draft class already accounted for in that number, would be sufficient.

You gotta factor in that "over the cap" figure as of now is solely for those under contract - which I believe is still below even 40 guys....

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't simply cutting Preston and Lowry to cover Bahk. We already before the Bahk deal are over the cap for 2021 if we filled the entire rest of our roster out with minimum contracts and draft picks.

Adding Bahk, just made us even MORE over the cap...and folks clamoring for Jones so blindly don't realize the damage to both depth and even some starters that will hold.

Now I get it if folks think it is worth cutting a ton of others and depending on rookies and bottom FAs to play large roles in order to keep Jones....but people just blindly saying it is a no brainer to sign him especially now that Bahk is signed just don't understand contracts and cap enough.

I agree and disagree.

In some ways, it is a no brainer. He’s the best LT in the league and seems to just get better every year. If you don’t have an adequate LT, you will not be good. Look at how Rodgers has been with pressure this year.

Then look at what a replacement costs. Donovan Smith is a very average OT, and he got 13/year. Costs are rising. If you want to have a chance at a Super Bowl, I think you have to bring Bakh back. Elite player at an elite position.

At the same time, the money is gross and it lessens the ability to fill the roster. Hopefully with the lowered cap and the probable elimination of the middle class in the NFL, there are some sweet one year deals out there.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to check this out....didn't get that feel but was playing with my one year old while I played it may have missed it.
He didn’t come out and say it .... just talked around the question. He said a bunch of stuff about how the cap was going to be lower next year ... quoted the 175 million estimate etc.... He didn’t take the opportunity to lobby for resigning Jones when asked. He didn’t say anything like “We really need to find a way to get this done” etc... just talked about the lower cap ....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You gotta factor in that "over the cap" figure as of now is solely for those under contract - which I believe is still below even 40 guys....

Yes-- I did.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think they believe Barnes and Kamal one more year in them could take over for Kirksey, I love Kirksey the guy - but I envision a 2021 without him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what everyone's saying here about the cap and such. But I just can't believe that somebody like Russ Ball and Gute haven't planned this and all the options and possibilities out in advance. I don't believe they just threw wild numbers at Bak and then woke up the next day and said "my God what have I done!"

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what everyone's saying here about the cap and such. But I just can't believe that somebody like Russ Ball and Gute haven't planned this and all the options and possibilities out in advance. I don't believe they just threw wild numbers at Bak and then woke up the next day and said "my God what have I done!"

Well of course...honestly some could argue this is why they kept Dexter on the PS, drafted Dillon and didn't let Ervin go. All directed towards the option of NOT being able to afford Jones.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone has implied that to be the case. The discussion centers around predicting what they will have to do going forward in order to make it all work.... and the answers may not be what a lot of people wan to hear.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not criticizing anything anyone saying here, all points well taken. There could be a lot of cuts/trades and renegotiations coming up to clear cap space. How much of it I think will depend on whether they go into next season thinking we're a legit title contender or not.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wouldn’t be shocked if they found a way to squeeze Linsley in there as well on a 2 year deal around 6 Mil a year. Adams is going to get paid A LOT of money when he restructures next year which will definitely force them to put the fifth year option on Jaire. Not to mention Rodgers is going to make close to 30 Mil. I hope they have a great draft because they won’t be able to sign any of the top free agents

I highly doubt the Packers will re-sign Linsley after this season. The fifth year option is definitely not the best way to retain Alexander as it would be smarter to keep his cap hit low during the first two years of an extension.

I'm glad that if the Packers were going to do the deal, they did it this year so that the deal partially hits our 2020 cap.

With teams being allowed to roll over cap space into next season it doesn't make a difference.

Are you for signing Bakhtiari? If so what would you pay?

The question is irrelevant at this point with the Packers having extended Bakhtiari.

I mean 11 million in cap space that's releasing preston smith and dean lowry to keep the best left tackle in football depending who you ask and top 3 no matter who you ask...and I know other players have to get released to get to 51 players but those 2 cover bakh...

The Packers releasing Preston and Lowry would cover Bakhtiari's cap hit for the 2021 season. What are they gonna do to fit his contract under the cap starting in 2022 though???

Yes-- I did.

While you mentioned the Packers need to sign some players to fill out the roster you didn't include it into your calculations.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

-Preston Smith (+8M)
-Ricky Wagner (+4.25M)
-Dean Lowry (+3.3M)

-Christian Kirksey (+6M)
-Adrian Amos (+4.55M)
-Billy Turner (+3.55M)
-Devin Funchess (+1.4M)

If it's me...

Well done Dante’s. Please call Russ Ball ASAP.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So he can inform me that I have no idea what I'm talking about?
Lol, he may put you on payroll as a “Special Projects Advisor”.

so, you’d have that going for you. Which is nice.

gunga la gunga

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they have his replacement on the roster already in jenkins. they sure could use the cap savings he'd provide. i don't really understand it. yes he's great but they could keep two or three guys for what he's costing. there's only one way this makes sense to me since the big hits start in 2022.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they have his replacement on the roster already in jenkins. they sure could use the cap savings he'd provide. i don't really understand it. yes he's great but they could keep two or three guys for what he's costing. there's only one way this makes sense to me since the big hits start in 2022.

See I think the current folks in charge feel they are much better equipped to replace Jones (Williams, Dillon, Ervin, Wiliams) then they are a premium LT with Jenkins...and then having to replace Jenkins.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See I think the current folks in charge feel they are much better equipped to replace Jones (Williams, Dillon, Ervin, Wiliams) then they are a premium LT with Jenkins...and then having to replace Jenkins.
when jenkins time comes the cap won't be in as dire a predicament as it is now though...that's if you're talking about his contract renewal. if you're talking about next season they have runyan or whoever.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when jenkins time comes the cap won't be in as dire a predicament as it is now though...that's if you're talking about his contract renewal. if you're talking about next season they have runyan or whoever.

No I get that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Lots of teams are going to be releasing higher salaried vets imo. There will be some available to be signed for vet minimum or just above that on 1 year deals. It could even happen after the 2021 season starts. Definitely a buyers market coming up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of teams are going to be releasing higher salaried vets imo. There will be some available to be signed for vet minimum or just above that on 1 year deals. It could even happen after the 2021 season starts. Definitely a buyers market coming up.

Oh I agree...the middle class of the NFL veterans are about to take a serious hit contract level wise.

Members online

Latest posts