David Bakhtiari signs 4-year extension

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't realize he went that high in the second round. And yeah, he has certainly exceeded expectations, even for a 44th pick.

The 2019 draft was one I felt would grow and arguably still could be one of his more complete drafts but I don't think will hold the top spot though; although perhaps sadly now not with us. Starting safety and OL, had a starting iDL blossoming until attitude issues apparently and a few serviceable depth guys (Hollman, Williams and Summers).

• ROUND 1. Darnell Savage, S
  • ROUND 2. Elgton Jenkins, OL
  • ROUND 3. Jace Sternberger, TE
  • ROUND 5. Kingsley Keke, DE
  • ROUND 6. Ka'Dar Hollman, CB,
  • ROUND 6. Dexter Williams, RB
  • ROUND 7. Ty Summers, LB

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2019 draft was one I felt would grow and arguably still could be one of his more complete drafts but I don't think will hold the top spot though; although perhaps sadly now not with us. Starting safety and OL, had a starting iDL blossoming until attitude issues apparently and a few serviceable depth guys (Hollman, Williams and Summers).

• ROUND 1. Darnell Savage, S
  • ROUND 2. Elgton Jenkins, OL
  • ROUND 3. Jace Sternberger, TE
  • ROUND 5. Kingsley Keke, DE
  • ROUND 6. Ka'Dar Hollman, CB,
  • ROUND 6. Dexter Williams, RB
  • ROUND 7. Ty Summers, LB
It's a good draft. Two starters out of the gate in Savage and Jenkins, Sternberger and Keke were disappointing, although there may be time for Jace, I don't see it. Summers was a nice pickup at the end.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is looking worse and worse in hindsight.

Do I think David is worth the money? Hell yeah! When he's healthy :)

There's a reason he has all those All Pro teams, but this is looking worse and worse and worse....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is looking worse and worse in hindsight.

Do I think David is worth the money? Hell yeah! When he's healthy :)

There's a reason he has all those All Pro teams, but this is looking worse and worse and worse....
Yeah all ACL injuries are not created equal. It's been over a year now since Bakh had the first surgery (which should have also been the last). For him not to play in such an important game - well he's not a quitter so I can only conclude it's very serious. I hope I'm wrong and a full offseason gives him time to finally heal and get back.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember being thrilled when I heard it and wondering how they did it. Then, I saw the numbers and thought that I could have been a great exec if all it took was throwing extreme amounts of money at someone. Not a whole lot of smarts required to retain him.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah all ACL injuries are not created equal. It's been over a year now since Bakh had the first surgery (which should have also been the last). For him not to play in such an important game - well he's not a quitter so I can only conclude it's very serious. I hope I'm wrong and a full offseason gives him time to finally heal and get back.
Definitely. Look at the Jordy Nelson recovery period and immediate comeback next year.

No clue what is up with David, I can only assume it's MUCH MORE serious than from the "outside looking in".

But this was, by the way they keep the stats, by far the BEST Left Tackle in Football for the past 3-4 years. How good will he be AFTER? No clue.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely. Look at the Jordy Nelson recovery period and immediate comeback next year.

No clue what is up with David, I can only assume it's MUCH MORE serious than from the "outside looking in".

But this was, by the way they keep the stats, by far the BEST Left Tackle in Football for the past 3-4 years. How good will he be AFTER? No clue.
He was the best LT in football and I hope he can return to that status. Even without the injury, he's 30 now and age takes a toll a lot faster on football players, especially linemen. All we can do is hope, and wait - for the best.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This deal is going to be pointed to by many when discussing paying players MASSIVE money vs the risk of injury. One could make a decently valid case for the fact that his ACL injury was a massive reason why we did nothing in the playoffs two straight years. I love the guy, and the deal made sense at the time but we are talking an INSANE amount of money that has given us nothing really of measure since.

Cant help thinking that Aaron Rodgers made a mistake by asking Bakh to play in that Lions game...

Had he waited to make his season debut against the 49ers, even if he only plays 27 snaps, that 27 snaps of dominence could of led to one additional td which would of been the difference in the game

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He still looked like the best left tackle in the nfl against the Lions...granted I think Trent Williams is pretty good too

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He still looked like the best left tackle in the nfl against the Lions...granted I think Trent Williams is pretty good too
Agreed. I think Williams plays RT. Imagine having both of them. They are the best. And yeah, would have been good to have Bakh against the Niners instead of the Niners. Especially early before the turf turned into a skating rink.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BakhT looked great when he played against the Lions. I forgot just how much better he looks than other guys. He holds people off with his hands and it looks rather effortless compared to other guys who look like they're working their ***** off just stay in the game. I hope they can get his knee right this offseason or he's done. We'll pay him another year for nothing and it will be over if it can't get right.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BakhT looked great when he played against the Lions. I forgot just how much better he looks than other guys. He holds people off with his hands and it looks rather effortless compared to other guys who look like they're working their ***** off just stay in the game. I hope they can get his knee right this offseason or he's done. We'll pay him another year for nothing and it will be over if it can't get right.
Yeah something's wrong in that knee. Hope they can fix it. The second procedure was for a meniscus tear, I think. Those take about 6 weeks to heal and it seems like he had the surgery in November. If they didn't get his ACL right, whatever that is, it ain't good. Just gotta hope for the best.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh is seriously a massive issue simply due to his dead money literally leaves the team with no option but to keep him on the roster and just pray his body can feel good again - sucks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh is seriously a massive issue simply due to his dead money literally leaves the team with no option but to keep him on the roster and just pray his body can feel good again - sucks.
Agreed. The only options are 1) his injury is career threatening or career ending and we eat the dead cap, or 2) he makes a great comeback next year and lives up to his ability and his contract. I'm betting on the second option.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The only options are 1) his injury is career threatening or career ending and we eat the dead cap, or 2) he makes a great comeback next year and lives up to his ability and his contract. I'm betting on the second option.

actually there is a 3) we continue to think he can play and never consistently can and we live in limbo. I do believe 2 is most likely, but am beginning to believe 3 is more likely than 1.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually there is a 3) we continue to think he can play and never consistently can and we live in limbo. I do believe 2 is most likely, but am beginning to believe 3 is more likely than 1.
That's interesting Ty. If there are any indications early in the offseason that he can't perform, I think Gluten will let him go. I know, that's a lot of dead money, but I'd rather have someone who can play the position than be sentimental to a great Packer. He deserves better, and so do we. Let's just hope option 2 comes true.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's interesting Ty. If there are any indications early in the offseason that he can't perform, I think Gluten will let him go. I know, that's a lot of dead money, but I'd rather have someone who can play the position than be sentimental to a great Packer.
That might offend Rodgers, if he's still around.

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand all the "sky is falling" talk for Bakh. The guy is the best LT in the league and wasn't able to play an NFL game a year after tearing his ACL. That's not unusual and there's no reason to think he won't be back to elite LT status next season. I don't think an elite NFL QB needs an All-Pro olineman at any position but when the Love-era begins, Bakh is going to be a major asset for the team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand all the "sky is falling" talk for Bakh. The guy is the best LT in the league and wasn't able to play an NFL game a year after tearing his ACL. That's not unusual and there's no reason to think he won't be back to elite LT status next season. I don't think an elite NFL QB needs an All-Pro olineman at any position but when the Love-era begins, Bakh is going to be a major asset for the team.

I don’t think anyone feels the sky is falling on him. Concern is one hundred percent legit with how many times he practiced and then swelling stopped chances at playing multiple times before Detroit - then unable again to play multiple weeks later in the playoffs.

IF healthy he at worst is the second or third best LT in the entire league for sure.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not being able to practice on it at this point or recover from 20? Snaps in a game with 2 weeks off is concerning at this point. I’m sure there is another surgery coming. We’ll see what happens after that

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Liked minus the Love era nonesense

Reaction score
Exactly.....as if the "Love era" is even a halfway certainty at this point....haha.

Just as likely that we see a "Benkert" era.
It’s easy to pick on a 1st year starter but the reality is the Packers can have the firepower to get nearly ANY college QB they want over the next 2 seasons with draft capital from a trade. The Love argument is only a distraction argument. We could have 5 Jordan Love type prospects by March of next year and that might be shooting low (I can show you in about a paragraph or less in math) We wouldn’t even have to touch a natural day 2 or 3 selection and we’d potentially bank $60mil inside 2 seasons and another $90-120mil over the remainder of a our QB contracts (potentially 5 seasons of Rookie contract).

I’m not saying we will or won’t. Our FO has eluded to retaining him so that’s to consider. Just that it’s easily a choice we can make that has relatively minor emphasis on Loves success or failure. They could kick Love to the curb tomorrow and not miss a beat in a premier trade.

I genuinely feel bad for Rodgers. Each year brings about more scrutiny for him by fans and there’s only 1 way to fix that and he can’t seem to shake that playoff monkey.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts