A Jordan Love Contract

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Giants set the baseline with that ridiculous Daniel Jones contract, and I expect any deal for Love will be at least $45m plus incentives with between 60% - 70% of that money guaranteed (just based on the guarantees that Burrow and Herbert recently received).

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
False statement.
False in the sense that he didn't say it or false in the sense that he said it and wishes he could have it back?

I see no good reason for Aiyuk to throw his qb under the bus, even if he is subject to trade rumors. For one, Purdy had a great season and a good Super Bowl. While Love and Stroud have bright futures, Purdy is no slouch. The statement makes little sense so I would assume he never said the statement above.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
False in the sense that he didn't say it or false in the sense that he said it and wishes he could have it back?

I see no good reason for Aiyuk to throw his qb under the bus, even if he is subject to trade rumors. For one, Purdy had a great season and a good Super Bowl. While Love and Stroud have bright futures, Purdy is no slouch. The statement makes little sense so I would assume he never said the statement above.

That page cited is known meme creator - spent about five minutes attempting to find the presser or quote and zilch. That would be headlines all over SF as that is major shade thrown at his QB.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw Demovsky on the Mina Kimes show. He said he had put out feelers around the league and during the season the consensus was that love would get 30 to 35 million a year. But by the end of the season it was more like 45 to 50 million a year.

Reaction score
My guess is that Love signs an extension in the 5yr X $230Mil area, but with a higher guaranteed than maybe expected ($175Mil)The guaranteed is really what matters, but it’s pretty similar to a $255mil ($51Mil yearly) but .70% guar

It’s really a 4+1 but potential hard out in year 4 if the sky falls.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly with the flexibility it can and does create if he stays healthy and minimum no worse for four years I say do something towards the 8 to 10 year style KC did with Mahomes...of course not the same level player but still....it is nuts what KC can do this off season...if they did an entire max restructure of Mahomes it adds $35M to their cap space.....

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly with the flexibility it can and does create if he stays healthy and minimum no worse for four years I say do something towards the 8 to 10 year style KC did with Mahomes...of course not the same level player but still....it is nuts what KC can do this off season...if they did an entire max restructure of Mahomes it adds $35M to their cap space.....

I'm just blown away by the way the Chiefs are managing their credit card. These contracts are brilliant; everyone in the NFL needs to be studying them and learning.

To be fair, though, it also seems to involve a certain degree of buy-in and give-back by the players. At least some of their stars (like Kelce, for example) openly admit that it's frustrating watching how much money some of their teammates make when they leave in free agency, but they can livewith it because they love playing for the Chiefs and they get lots of free jewelry. Not every team can play that card, though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning solves a lot of problems. Winning multiple Super Bowles solves even more. Not surprised that KC can get creative in their contracts. Brady took some team friendly contracts to keep the NE dynasty going. Star players know that Super Bowl rings translate into big money in endorsements. If your KC's GM, you can always remind players in a negotiation that they can leave for more salary and make less in total income because they would likely have fewer endorsement opportunities. In addition, if you have a dynasty going, it makes sense to push as much cap forward as possible and win now with the team that has proven itself to get over the hump.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One interesting detail abot Jordan's contract is that he can't sign until early May - he has to wait a full year since signing his last extension, and he signed on May 3rd. One of the things that means is that his cap hit will remain at just $12.75M throughout the entire free agent and rookie signing period, which allows Gute a little more flexibility, so that's good.

But it also means that by the time he's signed, the quarterback market will see a lot of action, and the pricing structure is probably not going to be team-friendly. Goff, Cousins, and Prescott will probably all be signed by then, and even if they're not, I suspect Love's agent (Dave Mughuletta) will advise him to wait and see what they get.

I don't think Goff or Cousins will break 50 (god, I sure hope not), but Dak will, and while the "$60,000,000" predictions a few people were floating before we pantsed them in Dallas last month is probably a fantasy now, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 55. I'm not saying he's worth it, but I wouldn't be shocked. Goff will probably extend for 46-48, and Cousins is a straight up UFA - he's on the open market. He's still not fully recovered from his achilles rupture, so there's a lot of uncertainty, but he was playing at a very high level until then. Fair market value for a guy coming off that kind of injury is probably 1 year, $36-40, because there's a lot of risk here, but there is always going to be one team desperate enough to overpay for a QB. And it only takes one of them to kick Kirk into the mid-40s.

The really interesting one to watch is going to be Prescott. He may not actually reset the ceiling of the market as some were predicting earlier, but I think there's a very strong chance he goes $55M or so.

Love's agent is Dave Mulugheta, considered by Forbes to be the #1 agent in professional sports. He's the top agent at Athletes First, which itself is the #1 agency in professional sports. He's the guy who got Deshaun Watson $46Mx5yrs after he missed a year of football because of a contract support, and was buried under an avalanche of some pretty disgusting ****** misconduct allegations. Mulugheta's going to get Jordan paid; he's relentless. With the kind of money those other 3 QBs are likely to get, I think he'll pretty confortably get somewhere in the range of $46M for Love.

Reaction score
One interesting detail abot Jordan's contract is that he can't sign until early May - he has to wait a full year since signing his last extension, and he signed on May 3rd. One of the things that means is that his cap hit will remain at just $12.75M throughout the entire free agent and rookie signing period, which allows Gute a little more flexibility, so that's good.

But it also means that by the time he's signed, the quarterback market will see a lot of action, and the pricing structure is probably not going to be team-friendly. Goff, Cousins, and Prescott will probably all be signed by then, and even if they're not, I suspect Love's agent (Dave Mughuletta) will advise him to wait and see what they get.

I don't think Goff or Cousins will break 50 (god, I sure hope not), but Dak will, and while the "$60,000,000" predictions a few people were floating before we pantsed them in Dallas last month is probably a fantasy now, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 55. I'm not saying he's worth it, but I wouldn't be shocked. Goff will probably extend for 46-48, and Cousins is a straight up UFA - he's on the open market. He's still not fully recovered from his achilles rupture, so there's a lot of uncertainty, but he was playing at a very high level until then. Fair market value for a guy coming off that kind of injury is probably 1 year, $36-40, because there's a lot of risk here, but there is always going to be one team desperate enough to overpay for a QB. And it only takes one of them to kick Kirk into the mid-40s.

The really interesting one to watch is going to be Prescott. He may not actually reset the ceiling of the market as some were predicting earlier, but I think there's a very strong chance he goes $55M or so.

Love's agent is Dave Mulugheta, considered by Forbes to be the #1 agent in professional sports. He's the top agent at Athletes First, which itself is the #1 agency in professional sports. He's the guy who got Deshaun Watson $46Mx5yrs after he missed a year of football because of a contract support, and was buried under an avalanche of some pretty disgusting ****** misconduct allegations. Mulugheta's going to get Jordan paid; he's relentless. With the kind of money those other 3 QBs are likely to get, I think he'll pretty confortably get somewhere in the range of $46M for Love.
That’s about where I’m at yearly. I know anything can happen, but I really doubt Love even contemplates FA. The Packers will handle him fairly and ~$45Mil area average with 60%-70% + guaranteed is more than fair for a good but not great sample size. It might vary a few million etc. but that’s about what he’s worth.

PS. I just looked at Spotrac for giggles to see what their market value # was. It’s 44.8Mil yearly and I didn’t look at any market pricing until now.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That’s about where I’m at yearly. I know anything can happen, but I really doubt Love even contemplates FA. The Packers will handle him fairly and ~$45Mil area average with 60%-70% + guaranteed is more than fair for a good but not great sample size. It might vary a few million etc. but that’s about what he’s worth.

PS. I just looked at Spotrac for giggles to see what their market value # was. It’s 44.8Mil yearly and I didn’t look at any market pricing until now.
if we can get Love for 45-46 yearly I would be very happy. Obviously structure and guarantee are more important and I would think that at that figure yearly the guarantee would be a bit higher.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imho, $45mil/yr isn't going to get it done. That would put Love currently at tied for 6th highest paid QB. However, in the next 6 months the following QB's should be inking new deals: Prescott, Goff, Cousins, Tua, & Lawrence.
Prescott, Tua, & lawrence will, most likely, exceed $50mil so no way Love agrees to anything less than that.

Reaction score
Imho, $45mil/yr isn't going to get it done. That would put Love currently at tied for 6th highest paid QB. However, in the next 6 months the following QB's should be inking new deals: Prescott, Goff, Cousins, Tua, & Lawrence.
Prescott, Tua, & lawrence will, most likely, exceed $50mil so no way Love agrees to anything less than that.
Yes and There’s no question that Love’s contract could exceed that Spotrac market area (44.8) That said Love still got 1 season under his belt as far as raw production. Albeit he flashed in the second half his potential. Most of those other guys have a better sample size and that could be a pretty good argument for a few extra Million per season.
I wouldn’t be shocked if Jordan eclipsed $50mil annual either ashes a dynamic player. Although we’ll smartly lower his guaranteed % so those contract offers can really turn into a cat n mouse game. They could do a 5yr $255mil etc. but then lower his guaranteed %. The guaranteed oft determines the term length etc. so they’ll do a trade off if he demands a higher annual. Also the higher annual often forces teams to push monies out until it evolves into a ballon contract. Ask Z Smith and A Rodgers about that concept.
Personally if I’m his agent, I’d want a balance of term length (guarantee divided by years) AND annual $and I think high $40’s gets him there while being fair to both parties. Look at what Aarons contract got him and I said that LOOONG before he took a pay cut and got scolded (not by you) then 3 years later he took almost exactly (within 2-3mil annual) of what I said he should do to begin with after moving his @sz through time zones. It got him run out of town is what it got him. Leading contracts come with leading expectation and that expectation comes with term instability.
My Dad used to correctly tell me “be fair to your Employer” (I’m not suggesting getting run over but he meant be honorable) but long term it’s like staying in the inside Passing lane. I know that outside lane looks like it’s moving faster, but stay put and your patience usually pays off.

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of how much he makes annually I see it being a 4 year deal when’s the last time we signed a player other than Rodgers to 5 plus

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR it was not Loves special contract structure which limited when he can sign an extension…NO player can do two contracts in the same year.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of how much he makes annually I see it being a 4 year deal when’s the last time we signed a player other than Rodgers to 5 plus
Love would probably love a shorter contract because he gets "more bites of the apple". Every 3 or 4 years to get a top-end contract would be desirable for Love, but Gute should aim for a 5yr deal to maximize years to spread the massive SB over.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy asked me this morning what I'd go to and I said $45M a year given his second half play and where the market is...has to be more than Jones and under $50M/year IMO.

If I'm his agent I'm of course fighting for a 5 to be the per year average....and we may end up there - however I suspect it will only be inflated by perhaps a fifth year balloon year that is an out year.

If they're confident, and want to send a message do a longer than 5 year deal...Josh Allen got a 6 and Mahomes a 10.

If in house you feel this is the worst Jordan Love will ever be you easily justify a Daniel Jones type deal plus some. If you think this second half of this season is his worst you're in the $50M a year range....AND if they feel that is Love, then sign this kid to a 7-10 year deal and make it so.

That is a very atypical mindset for me personally...but damnit I love this kid. I LOVED my Packers and all their success in the Rodgers and Favre eras...but dangit both of those dudes character wise I struggled with having be my QB. Love is a Grade A human being from everything I've witnessed and even had conversations with people in close circles to him. I enjoy him being our QB and so far easily can tell my son to watch him closely on Sundays!
Well, there certainly is something to be said for having a franchise QB that we all like as a person as well. And Love seems like the real deal in both departments.

He played well enough and long enough to make me believe he's worth $50 mil/year, however they structure it. Is there risk that this season was an aberration and he slides back? Well sure but it's a small risk.

It would be kinda nice to have a great QB who would never play for the Vikings or eat hallucinogenics in the off season. Ya know, a guy who would tell the truth.

Reaction score
?? Is this a trick question ? Other than Rodgers latest 2 reworked deals, every last QB contract spanning 26 seasons was more than 4 years.
  • You must be logged in to see this image or video!
    2013-2019​

Aaron Rodgers signed a 5 year, $110,000,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
    2009-2014​

Aaron Rodgers signed a 6 year, $63,520,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers

2005-2009ENTRY LEVEL​

Aaron Rodgers signed a 5 year, $7,700,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers

2001-2010​

Brett Favre signed a 10 year, $101,500,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers

1997-2003​

Brett Favre signed a 7 year, $47,250,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers

1994-1998​

Brett Favre signed a 5 year, $19,000,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasnt Aiyuk taken one pick before Love. I read somewhere that we actually traded up with an eye on Aiyuk and when SF snagged him Love was our consolation prize.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trouble is, both Love and the Packers are in a really unusual situation here. Almost every single time a quarterback reaches the point where he's negotiating his first "Big Bucks" contract, he has at least 2 and often 3 years of history as a starter. Both parties pretty much know who he is, and what to expect going forward.

In most cases, the team has enough information to make comfortable assumptions and predictions about the player's potential, and can make an informed determination of his fair valuation. The player can point to a substantial body of work, and show how his 35-50 games' worth of numbers and game tapes justifies his high demands.

I don't recall there ever being a quarterback who was one of the top 5 or 6 QBs in his 1st season as a starter, and then going straight to the 4- or 5-year veteran "money" contract. But that's where both sides are today. This is uncharted territory for both sides, I think they'd all would feel more comfortable going into the contract talks with another season or two's worth of data to strengthen their cases.

I think Ball is going to treat Love fairly, because he's going to want to keep Love happy for the next 15 years. I think the Green Bay end of it is going to go fine, and I expect Love to be cool, calm, and professional every step of the way on his end. Because that's just who he is. But I wouldn't be surprised if Green Bay tries to structure the deal in such a way as to give them some protection if (somehow) Love doesn't live up to his promise over the first 2 years.

I've heard a couple of talking heads say that's Green Bay's patterm with QB contracts anyway, but they didn't explain what they meant by it. Maybe something like a 2-part deal, a lot of incentives for one year and then a backloaded 3-year stage where the real money kicks in. I dunno. I've heard some ideas kicked around on podcasts, but i don't understand enough about salary cap and contracts to know whether these guys know what they're talking about.

But they all shout really loudly, so naturally I assume they must be experts.

Last edited:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old #4 had both a 5 year and 10 year contract extensions. Rodgers had 2 5's plus a six year. I think our history with the position is very different than any other on the team. I certainly can see at least 5 years.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old #4 had both a 5 year and 10 year contract extensions. Rodgers had 2 5's plus a six year. I think our history with the position is very different than any other on the team. I certainly can see at least 5 years.

I'm not sure either side is really eager to sign for more than 5. It's probably not in Love's best interest to lock himself into a really long term deal unless he's getting paid in Mahomes Dollars, $55M+... but it's not in the Packers' best interest to commit to that kind of money for such a long term. The kind of money it would probably take to sign him for 5 or more is probably more than Green Bay would want to pay.

I wouldn't be surprised if both parties were comfortable with something like 3, or maybe 3 plus an option or whatever. I think 4 is more likely, but I wouldn't expect it to go more than 5. Unless Green bay really, really beieves in him.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasnt Aiyuk taken one pick before Love. I read somewhere that we actually traded up with an eye on Aiyuk and when SF snagged him Love was our consolation prize.

The trade was announced when Miami was on the clock with 37 seconds left (can watch the 1st round) so, either GB traded up when Miami was on the clock and in that case, Aiyuk was already drafted and the Packers either didn't know that or didn't care (because they were targeting Love) or they had traded much earlier and never announced the trade and the Packers were hoping Aiyuk was there because MN had already drafted a WR.

Also read that they were trying to get above IND who might have been interested in Love.

At the end of the day, who knows. I guess if you are the type that believes Gute is always an idiot then you'll go with whatever the most negative slant is. Sure are alot of Niner centric 'We so smart, Packers so stupid' articles from April 2020 which, in hindsight, if Aiyuk is traded and they never win a SB with him, but the Packers win with Love well.. guess Gute will have the last laugh if they truly got ahead of the Packers to steal Aiyuk.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade was announced when Miami was on the clock with 37 seconds left (can watch the 1st round) so, either GB traded up when Miami was on the clock and in that case, Aiyuk was already drafted and the Packers either didn't know that or didn't care (because they were targeting Love) or they had traded much earlier and never announced the trade and the Packers were hoping Aiyuk was there because MN had already drafted a WR.

Also read that they were trying to get above IND who might have been interested in Love.

At the end of the day, who knows. I guess if you are the type that believes Gute is always an idiot then you'll go with whatever the most negative slant is. Sure are alot of Niner centric 'We so smart, Packers so stupid' articles from April 2020 which, in hindsight, if Aiyuk is traded and they never win a SB with him, but the Packers win with Love well.. guess Gute will have the last laugh if they truly got ahead of the Packers to steal Aiyuk.
This is the first I've heard that the Packers were aiming for Aiyuk when they traded up. That doesn't seem likely to me. Gotta remember that Rodgers looked like he was starting to fade (he wasn't but no one knew it at the time) and Gluten had a chance to do what TT and Wolf had done before him, draft the next franchise QB.

That seems easy in hindsight, but it seemed like a very risky pick at the time and for the three plus years that followed. It was only the last half of the 2023/2024 season and into the playoffs that Love finally looked like "the guy".

Personally, I hated the pick and didn't see Love as capable of playing the way he played to close the season. That's why I'm not a GM in the NFL.

Latest posts