David Bakhtiari signs 4-year extension

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BuT WE Can’T AffOrD hIm!

/none of us knows crap about the salary cap. Maybe this will teach people.

if by afford you mean how someone making 50k a year can afford a brand new fully loaded bmw, then sure...

that being said, I’m glad Bakh is locked up just like I’m sure they’re glad they have seated seats in the winter.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to a report by Tom Silverstein Bakhtiari will count $11.143 million against the cap in 2021 if they convert a roster bonus due in March into a signing bonus, which should be a no-brainer.

You understand that every time someone has suggested that they would/could extend Bakh, you responded by saying that they probably couldn't, don't you???

Don't put words in my mouth. I was pretty clear about it that the Packers could re-sign Bakhtiari but have to create additional cap space to make it work.

With the numbers being reported they need to save at least $20 million to even get under the cap for next season without being able to make any moves.

Probably will franchise tag Aaron Jones. I probably would’ve out the franchise tag on Bahk and resign Jones.

The franchise tag wasn't an option to retain Bakhtiari nor is it one to keep Jones because the cap hit would be too high for 2021.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the direction I figured we'd go, as I see it as a Bahk or Jones discussion to start....I do kinda wish we'd waited till the end of the year, as I'm curious how Jones will respond. I could see this really amping him up and almost playing with a chip on his shoulder and for that next contract...or he could be a slightly deflated as it seems from all I've heard he really wanted to stay in GB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jones isn’t dialing up humongous numbers at this point. Could change if he stays healthy but there is only one football to go around and yardage numbers are finite. What I don’t know is what his free agent RB competition looks like.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Obscene contracts like this will lead to the demise of the NFL.
I'm going to get my popcorn and enjoy.
The cap money is locked in place by the CBA. What Bakhtiari’s signing tells me is that the NFL middle class is going to shrink. The middling vets are going to be the big losers in this scenario imo.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Supposedly signed it last night before midnight. New money is ~ $23m per year, making him the highest paid lineman in the NFL.

I don't know that there is a better pass-blocking LT in the NFL....This guy is a cornerstone, and you don't let guys like that get away if you can help it.

There are a lot of teams who struggle with the O-line, and Green Bay has one of the best. The key is to have a solid left tackle. I'm happy to have Bahk back, but not as happy as I'm sure #12 is.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Don't put words in my mouth. I was pretty clear about it that the Packers could re-sign Bakhtiari but have to create additional cap space to make it work.

With the numbers being reported they need to save at least $20 million to even get under the cap for next season without being able to make any moves.

Cap, this doesn't have to be a whole thing. But it's just a reality that when people posted about keeping Bakh, you often replied with these breathless questions with three ?'s at the end, that clearly implied that you didn't think the other person knew what they were talking about.

And that's all fine. I really like you challenging my posts, personally. It makes the forum more interesting, and sometimes I learn something. But if you're going to do that, you'll hear about it a little bit when stuff like this happens. That's just how it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cap, this doesn't have to be a whole thing. But it's just a reality that when people posted about keeping Bakh, you often replied with these breathless questions with three ?'s at the end, that clearly implied that you didn't think the other person knew what they were talking about.

And that's all fine. I really like you challenging my posts, personally. It makes the forum more interesting, and sometimes I learn something. But if you're going to do that, you'll hear about it a little bit when stuff like this happens. That's just how it is.

You shouldn't try to read my mind but stick to the content I actually post.

I'm still waiting for you to find a single post where I stated that there was no way for the Packers to re-sign Bakhtiari.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You shouldn't try to read my mind but stick to the content I actually post.

I'm still waiting for you to find a single post where I stated that there was no way for the Packers to re-sign Bakhtiari.

Like I said, not trying to start a whole thing with you. I know you didn't ever say that. I'm just telling you why you get the reactions you do sometimes. If you want to know.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if by afford you mean how someone making 50k a year can afford a brand new fully loaded bmw, then sure...

that being said, I’m glad Bakh is locked up just like I’m sure they’re glad they have seated seats in the winter.

I think a more applicable situation would be a person making $500k a year with investments making around a 10% return taking a loan out with an interest rate at ~3-4% to purchase something. Sure you have the money to not take the loan, but you could use that cash investing rather than taking it out, and still net more money. There’s obviously some risk, as the market could tank, but it won’t ruin you.

A person making 50k purchasing a car that costs more than what they make is destined for only one route, and that’s debt/failure. I don’t think GB is destined for failure here.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like I said, not trying to start a whole thing with you. I know you didn't ever say that. I'm just telling you why you get the reactions you do sometimes. If you want to know.

What you're telling me is that other members react in a certain way to some of my posts because they make things up.

In that case it might be smart for them to change that approach.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m starting to lean towards Green Bay resigning Williams and letting Jones go. Wouldn’t be shocked if they found a way to squeeze Linsley in there as well on a 2 year deal around 6 Mil a year. Adams is going to get paid A LOT of money when he restructures next year which will definitely force them to put the fifth year option on Jaire. Not to mention Rodgers is going to make close to 30 Mil. I hope they have a great draft because they won’t be able to sign any of the top free agents

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m starting to lean towards Green Bay resigning Williams and letting Jones go. Wouldn’t be shocked if they found a way to squeeze Linsley in there as well on a 2 year deal around 6 Mil a year. Adams is going to get paid A LOT of money when he restructures next year which will definitely force them to put the fifth year option on Jaire. Not to mention Rodgers is going to make close to 30 Mil. I hope they have a great draft because they won’t be able to sign any of the top free agents

I think Williams over Jones would be prudent at this point. I highly doubt they keep Linsley, but stranger things have happened.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think a more applicable situation would be a person making $500k a year with investments making around a 10% return taking a loan out with an interest rate at ~3-4% to purchase something. Sure you have the money to not take the loan, but you could use that cash investing rather than taking it out, and still net more money. There’s obviously some risk, as the market could tank, but it won’t ruin you.

A person making 50k purchasing a car that costs more than what they make is destined for only one route, and that’s debt/failure. I don’t think GB is destined for failure here.
They’ve made very fair investments into their core players. Since we’ve heard that they are in discussions with Jones about an extension, it would be fair to conclude that management considers Jones a core player as well. That appears to leave Linsely and King on the outside looking for their next contract somewhere else.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King can play, he can't stay healthy. Even moderate money seems like a gamble.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for David. He's an exceptional player, a great person, and definitely deserves it.

That said, I wish that some other team would have paid all of that money instead of us. I'm glad that if the Packers were going to do the deal, they did it this year so that the deal partially hits our 2020 cap.

I expect to see AJ Dillon playing more and more in the second half of the season. Only then will the Packers know if they can let Aaron Jones walk and just keep Williams and Dillon for 2021. The Bakhtiari signing makes me think that they have to let Jones go due to cap, therefore they need to see what they really drafted in Dillon.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you're telling me is that other members react in a certain way to some of my posts because they make things up.

In that case it might be smart for them to change that approach.
Are you for signing Bakhtiari? If so what would you pay?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 years 30 million sounds like a pretty good deal for aaron jones...that's only blake martinez money after all

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You understand the Packers will have to make several moves to fit that extension under the cap for next season, don't you???

I mean 11 million in cap space that's releasing preston smith and dean lowry to keep the best left tackle in football depending who you ask and top 3 no matter who you ask...and I know other players have to get released to get to 51 players but those 2 cover bakh...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't simply cutting Preston and Lowry to cover Bahk. We already before the Bahk deal are over the cap for 2021 if we filled the entire rest of our roster out with minimum contracts and draft picks.

Adding Bahk, just made us even MORE over the cap...and folks clamoring for Jones so blindly don't realize the damage to both depth and even some starters that will hold.

Now I get it if folks think it is worth cutting a ton of others and depending on rookies and bottom FAs to play large roles in order to keep Jones....but people just blindly saying it is a no brainer to sign him especially now that Bahk is signed just don't understand contracts and cap enough.

Members online

Latest posts