David Bakhtiari signs 4-year extension

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Supposedly signed it last night before midnight. New money is ~ $23m per year, making him the highest paid lineman in the NFL.

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Follow up, Bakh's tweet from last night now makes more sense.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmmmm
not sure how i feel about this tbh
happy to have him locked down
but actually seeing the numbers makes me wince

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Bakh, ALOT, but I still don't think great QBs need elite olinemen; give Rodgers an adequate LT and spend the difference elsewhere and I think the Packers are better overall. However, from a job security standpoint, Gute had to re-sign Bakh because if you let him walk and Rodgers gets hurt, Gute loses his job.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BuT WE Can’T AffOrD hIm!

/none of us knows crap about the salary cap. Maybe this will teach people.

D

Deleted member 6794

BuT WE Can’T AffOrD hIm!

/none of us knows crap about the salary cap. Maybe this will teach people.

You understand the Packers will have to make several moves to fit that extension under the cap for next season, don't you???

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll wait on details of the contract but the initial numbers do surprise me. I’d guess right now that Jones, King and Linsely are probably gone. Probably Wagner, Kirksey and Lowry as well. Possibly P. Smith and Amos gone too. That’s just my initial thoughts.

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll wait on details of the contract but the initial numbers do surprise me. I’d guess right now that Jones, King and Linsely are probably gone. Probably Wagner, Kirksey and Lowry as well. Possibly P. Smith and Amos gone too. That’s just my initial thoughts.

Keep in mind, they can also extend other highly paid players to lower cap numbers. Preston is almost a certainty to go, I highly doubt Amos goes (that would leave the team with no good safeties). Losing Lowry and Kirksey would be a positive since Gute might be pressured to find some younger guys with upside. Wagner should be kept, he's been pretty decent, and should probably be extended to make some additional room.

And those contract numbers are a little surprising considering the Ravens just signed their LT (one of the best in the NFL along with Bakh) to a deal averaging $19.75m; Packers managed to beat the awful contract that O'Brien signed Tunsil to in Houston. That's kind of concerning to be honest.

Edit: didn't mean to imply that Stanley is as good as Bakh, just that beating the last reasonable LT contract by $3.25 million per year is a lot.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The 30M signing bonus is something to be relieved about. Very much like Russ Ball. That’s a very reasonable 28%. Depending on how it’s structured it could be lighter on the cap in 21.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All depends on how it's structured. You can keep the cap number well below the average for the first couple of seasons.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
She has her own money from wreath.sales

;)
Have you seen the prices on those things? Though compared to the early bird specials on lawn decor and the 11’ candy canes for 3400 bucks they were quite the deal :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You understand the Packers will have to make several moves to fit that extension under the cap for next season, don't you???

You understand that every time someone has suggested that they would/could extend Bakh, you responded by saying that they probably couldn't, don't you???

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably will franchise tag Aaron Jones . But I can’t see him getting signed to an extension after this. Not this year...Adams will be due up next season as well so if they do bring Jones back it’ll be his last season as a Packer unless they dump Rodgers and his salary. Crazy crazy crazy . I probably would’ve out the franchise tag on Bahk and resign Jones. That’s just me tho...I mean the offense looked fine without him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably will franchise tag Aaron Jones . But I can’t see him getting signed to an extension after this. Not this year...Adams will be due up next season as well so if they do bring Jones back it’ll be his last season as a Packer unless they dump Rodgers and his salary. Crazy crazy crazy . I probably would’ve out the franchise tag on Bahk and resign Jones. That’s just me tho...I mean the offense looked fine without him.

Franchising Bakh puts too much money on next years salary. Signing him to an extension allows them to push the money back a little.

Members online

Latest posts