Jaire Alexander 2022...Extension Inevitable?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the hot button discussion last night with a good friend of mine was centered around two very different viewpoints or approaches to the same player - that player being Jaire Alexander.

We all know Ball and Gute got the Packers in under the cap for 2022....barely it seems...and without the Campbell deal actually on the books yet....which is why even Spotrac shows we aren't actually under the cap (they have Campbell's contract loaded in). We also know that Green Bay wants to sign Adams to an extension....easily north of $20M a year, but beyond that sounds sides are split heavy (years, guarantee and average all factors in that I'm sure)....we also just signed Rodgers to a MEGA extension....now its true the cap is set to (barring an economical collapse) increase measurably for the next few years and some are saying could hit $300M by the 2025 season even.

All that said, here we are the beginning of 2022 season has come and the one extension we all figured was a no brainer and sure thing to happen hasn't yet. The vein of thought in this discussion was a question posed:

"Do you think there is ANY chance at all that the organization let's Jaire walk due to extending him (along with Rodgers, Adams (hopefully), Smith and Campbell extensions...) simply would fiscally place us at a Gary or Elgton crossroads?"

My buddy and I are massive Jaire fans, want him resigned and believe he deserves 100% top 5 CB pay....however, could one make the argument the reason no Jaire extension is because first Russ and Gute want the Adams future money to be sorted out so they can run scenarios on Jaire and from that also trickle towards Elgton and Gary (the next two MASSIVE deals down the road coming)?

I see the validity in the thought...and then you have the fact he did hurt his shoulder in 2021, plus the emergence it seems at least of Stokes being a legit NFL CB and time will show just to what degree....

In the end of this discussion, both of us believe Jaire will get an extension and it will occur before week 6 of this season most likely....you just don't let arguably your best defensive player at a crucial position to success in this league walk....even if that means future issues arise.

Your thoughts?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the hot button discussion last night with a good friend of mine was centered around two very different viewpoints or approaches to the same player - that player being Jaire Alexander.

We all know Ball and Gute got the Packers in under the cap for 2022....barely it seems...and without the Campbell deal actually on the books yet....which is why even Spotrac shows we aren't actually under the cap (they have Campbell's contract loaded in). We also know that Green Bay wants to sign Adams to an extension....easily north of $20M a year, but beyond that sounds sides are split heavy (years, guarantee and average all factors in that I'm sure)....we also just signed Rodgers to a MEGA extension....now its true the cap is set to (barring an economical collapse) increase measurably for the next few years and some are saying could hit $300M by the 2025 season even.

All that said, here we are the beginning of 2022 season has come and the one extension we all figured was a no brainer and sure thing to happen hasn't yet. The vein of thought in this discussion was a question posed:

"Do you think there is ANY chance at all that the organization let's Jaire walk due to extending him (along with Rodgers, Adams (hopefully), Smith and Campbell extensions...) simply would fiscally place us at a Gary or Elgton crossroads?"

My buddy and I are massive Jaire fans, want him resigned and believe he deserves 100% top 5 CB pay....however, could one make the argument the reason no Jaire extension is because first Russ and Gute want the Adams future money to be sorted out so they can run scenarios on Jaire and from that also trickle towards Elgton and Gary (the next two MASSIVE deals down the road coming)?

I see the validity in the thought...and then you have the fact he did hurt his shoulder in 2021, plus the emergence it seems at least of Stokes being a legit NFL CB and time will show just to what degree....

In the end of this discussion, both of us believe Jaire will get an extension and it will occur before week 6 of this season most likely....you just don't let arguably your best defensive player at a crucial position to success in this league walk....even if that means future issues arise.

Your thoughts?
Yes, there was so much on the table that we were not sure which way the Packers would go with Jaire and anyone else honestly. But I believe they will extend him. Gute is much different than Ted Thompson. We have to give special thanks to Randall Cobb who took a hefty cut to help the team get to the cap in time and also stay with his buddy, ARod. You might say Cobb would not get a better deal elsewhere and that is probably true. But then he also knows he could wind up with a bottom feeder and a QB who struggle in a bad offense. Being able to have Rodgers throw to you for another year or so is special. I wish Adams saw it a little more that way but then he is at the top of his position and a good 3 more years in the tank than Cobb.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there was so much on the table that we were not sure which way the Packers would go with Jaire and anyone else honestly. But I believe they will extend him. Gute is much different than Ted Thompson. We have to give special thanks to Randall Cobb who took a hefty cut to help the team get to the cap in time and also stay with his buddy, ARod. You might say Cobb would not get a better deal elsewhere and that is probably true. But then he also knows he could wind up with a bottom feeder and a QB who struggle in a bad offense. Being able to have Rodgers throw to you for another year or so is special. I wish Adams saw it a little more that way but then he is at the top of his position and a good 3 more years in the tank than Cobb.

Adams now compared to Cobb now isn't fair to Adams....there is a reason Cobb left Green Bay in the first time around...

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When Cobb was released by TT, his production was declining in terms of salary expectations.

If I offer you a $50 flashlight, you would expect it to last for a long time.

A $5 flashlight, not so much.

Cobb's light (his production) was dimming while costing the team "$50"

Now costing considerably less, his light is more steady in adjustment with the cost.

Davante Adams is something entirely different.

He is at the absolute apex of his career. He has earned the right to refuse playing on the franchise tag.

After extending Rodgers, and making subsequent moves, I am confident Green Bay is attempting to clear enough money to come to a win-win resolution with Adams.

I think Adams knows the market quite well. He expects a deal relatively soon. However, since he is tagged, he should also know that as more time passes, he will lose leverage.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Cobb was released by TT, his production was declining in terms of salary expectations.

If I offer you a $50 flashlight, you would expect it to last for a long time.

A $5 flashlight, not so much.

Now costing considerably less, his light is more steady in adjustment with the cost.

Davante Adams is something entirely different.

He is at the absolute apex of his career. He has earned the right to refuse playing on the franchise tag.

After extending Rodgers, and making subsequent moves, I am confident Green Bay is attempting to clear enough money to come to a win-win resolution with Adams.

I think Adams knows the market quite well. He expects a deal relatively soon. However, since he is tagged, he should also know that as more time passes, he will lose leverage.
I see your point but in a few years will he still be there? And when Adams comes to a point in his career similar to Cobb's what will he choose? Will he demand more money to play for a team without a top QB? Will he become a Julio Jones?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point but in a few years will he still be there? And when Adams comes to a point in his career similar to Cobb's what will he choose? Will he demand more money to play for a team without a top QB? Will he become a Julio Jones?

Who knows, but I know I won't judge a man now based on his actions he may take at a time that has yet to come.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that if Adams gets the deal he wants he will eventually retire a Packer.

Around age 33/34 when the new deal comes due he'll compromise on favorable deal with the organization.

Also to be far Julio Jones embraced the idea of playing with the Titans with a healthy Henry, Brown and consistent above average play from Tannehill.

All three failing coupled with frequent injuries to Julio Jones is giving off that impression.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that if Adams gets the deal he wants he will eventually retire a Packer.

Around age 33/34 when the new deal comes due he'll compromise on favorable deal with the organization.

Also to be far Julio Jones embraced the idea of playing with the Titans with a healthy Henry, Brown and consistent above average play from Tannehill.

All three failing coupled with frequent injuries to Julio Jones is giving off that impression.
So now that Julio is not going to be re-signed do the Packer show any interest in him?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your thoughts?
Alexander is a top CB, which is a premier position with top guys making $19-$20Mil/yr. I think Alexander has shown he deserves to be compensated similarly. Need to extend him, soon, to clear some cap space and keep him in GB for 4 or 5 more years.

Rashaan Gary is a top OLB who GB controls for another 2 years ('23 5th yr. option will cost around $11Mil, significantly less than per year average of top guys). GB has time before an extension is necessary prior to the '24 season.

Jenkins, while he's been amazing, is replaceable, IMHO. Yes, he can & has played GREAT anywhere along the OL. Bakhtiari is our LT thru the '23 season at least. Jenkins plays '22 on his rookie deal, and then GB can franchise him for approx. $17Mil in '23. Gute will have a clearer picture of Bakhtiari & Jenkin's health and ascending/descending abilities during the '23 season so can decide whether to extend Jenkins, cut Bakhtiari prior to '24, or let both walk.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is a top CB, which is a premier position with top guys making $19-$20Mil/yr. I think Alexander has shown he deserves to be compensated similarly. Need to extend him, soon, to clear some cap space and keep him in GB for 4 or 5 more years.

Rashaan Gary is a top OLB who GB controls for another 2 years ('23 5th yr. option will cost around $11Mil, significantly less than per year average of top guys). GB has time before an extension is necessary prior to the '24 season.

Jenkins, while he's been amazing, is replaceable, IMHO. Yes, he can & has played GREAT anywhere along the OL. Bakhtiari is our LT thru the '23 season at least. Jenkins plays '22 on his rookie deal, and then GB can franchise him for approx. $17Mil in '23. Gute will have a clearer picture of Bakhtiari & Jenkin's health and ascending/descending abilities during the '23 season so can decide whether to extend Jenkins, cut Bakhtiari prior to '24, or let both walk.
Good assessment on the line. And we have to see how they do as a unit now that Lucas and Turner are gone.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your thought process aligned quite well with mine. The only thing I perhaps since distanced more than the staff of course is possibly wait till you see Jaire after an offseason and can guage that should shoulder now far removed from a significant injury before locking in a contract. Otherwise I agree...and I also believe tagging Jenkins may be the perfect way to handle him, because when you move from Bakh, tagging Jenkins could provide your LT and maybe even allow discussions to extend with him in working out a deal if you feel he is the LT of the future.

Reaction score
We know that isn’t necessarily true because he took a $5m deal in Dallas. I’m near 100% positive here would’ve taken that deal in GB and maybe a smidge less (4.5m range) to stay intact. He obviously didn’t degrade that much or he wouldn’t have put up 800+ yards as a Cowboy

I’m definitely getting J’aire signed yeah. Let the other chips fall as they may. I suppose we’ll find ways to retain our other priority FA.
Rob, Cheat, Steal.. you know the usual stuff we do :coffee:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Ward's contract just made Alexander's considerably more expensive. I can already hear it...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ward's contract just made Alexander's considerably more expensive. I can already hear it...

Honestly I think if Jaire doesn't showcase out this year or if his shoulder injury lingers in any form - Stokes and Rasul make a Franchise and trade or no extension a really possible route GB goes with Jaire....but if he proves to be back, I am betting we don't let him walk.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Looks like it. I thinking GB might want to target a cornerback in this draft.

A lot of corners are big, fast, and tall. Can't hurt to add another one just in case of another injury or insurance for Alexander if things go left.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have more pressing needs than a 4th CB, even though that would give Gute options next year. How screwed is our D if we lose, to injury, Clark, Gary or Smith? Top 5 picks, IMHO, should be WR, WR, DL, OLB, and S.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely disagree. If we lose Clark then Lowry and Reed backed up by Slaton. If we lose Gary or Smith, Garvin becomes the starter. If one of the safety's get hurt then Scott is a starter. If one of the CBs go down then SJC is on the field. OUCH!
Let's face it the Pack will play 2 DL, 2 OLB/E, 2 ILB and 5 DBs most of the time. Now if your reasoning is contracts then that is a different discussion. DL, S, are most critical followed by ILB and Edge/OLB.
IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion the Packers could feature an elite defense if all of the starters mostly stay healthy for this season. They lack quality depth at each position though, therefore Gutekunst needs to address that side of the ball in the draft as well. But with the offense lacking starting caliber players I would prefer them to use late rounders on defensive players.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corner will be a target but later in the draft. First, good depth, second they make good special teams players.

Members online

Latest posts