Roster Statuses looking into 2024

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree likely contract for Swift figure wise....

I brought him and this signing up with a buddy and he shot back what would be better for us - sign him or with that be able to sign back Melton / Savage / Owens and maybe Tyler Davis? or swap Savage with Nixon.

It was a tougher thought exercise than I guess I initially felt it would be. I tend to think Swift in a vacuum would make the team better, but dang that void at Safety/DB room is strong.

Bo Melton is an ERFA, so he's back at the absolute minimum, cost-wise.

I don't think Tyler Davis has a place on the roster anymore, but he could also be brought back for the minimum if they want him (he's a UFA, but he won't have a market).

As to the DB's, I would much rather pay Swift than Savage, Owens, or Nixon. I'm also not sure that it's a binary.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bo Melton is an ERFA, so he's back at the absolute minimum, cost-wise.

I don't think Tyler Davis has a place on the roster anymore, but he could also be brought back for the minimum if they want him (he's a UFA, but he won't have a market).

As to the DB's, I would much rather pay Swift than Savage, Owens, or Nixon. I'm also not sure that it's a binary.

I missed Melton being a ERFA...I thought for sure league rules way he's bounced around changed that, but I did confirm totally wrong and you're right.

Concur it isn't necessarily binary as well. I am betting Owens will be signed back relatively cheap, shoot offer him a cheap 2 year deal even, worst case great 3rd depth safety. I also bet we don't rush to sign Savage, Gute should tell him go see what your market is...if it is rather dry, here is where we are type of approach. I have real fear Savage is type of guy he'll push when needed (rookie year prove it year, year before 5th year option and this year contract year best years...otherwise not good).

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need virtually nothing at QB, TE, WR, DL, and ED.

They need multiple dips at RB, OL, LB, CB, and SAF.

Feast or famine.
They in a position to bundle picks and move up for just a superstar imo move up high a few times and draft some later talent. Feels good where we are at honestly. We got a real good window right now

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And that good position is by design and planning. We're managed very well for the future.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
And that good position is by design and planning. We're managed very well for the future.
Time to build depth so that one career ending injury to a vital cog does not upset the cart. Took a few drafts to replace Nick Collins. Who knows what Sherrod and Spriggs Finley could have done for our offense over the past decade.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to build depth so that one career ending injury to a vital cog does not upset the cart. Took a few drafts to replace Nick Collins. Who knows what Sherrod and Spriggs Finley could have done for our offense over the past decade.
The past decade would have resulted in a 36 year old TE

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés been mulling over this concept of Swift and I will say I strongly think this would be an excellent route to go. I love quite a few of the running back prospects but truly this class is lower tier and one I’m not sure with confidence I want handing keys of RB2 to without spending a second rounder on and I just feel that’s too much.

Signing Swift would be very Gute like in it immediately makes really needing to draft a RB before say end of fourth something you don’t have to be cornered to think. Wilson looks good in limited action and could be something too.

I’ve even thought if Jamaal Williams becomes available a reunion could be awesome.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was looking at Top RBs and realized Justin Fields has more yards than CMC & Aaron Jones. If Chicago drafts Caleb, then we should trade for Justin and use him as utility player like Taysom Hill. ;)

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was looking at Top RBs and realized Justin Fields has more yards than CMC & Aaron Jones. If Chicago drafts Caleb, then we should trade for Justin and use him as utility player like Taysom Hill. ;)

That would require a sacrifice unseen and unheard of, highly doubtful of that.

Chicago will reset their QB salary, draft Caleb and other blue chippers and finally trade Fields to Atlanta.

Pack will still own the Bears, but Chicago will have 4 more years of wishful thinking.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CMC lead the league unless CMC doesn't stand for Christian McCaffrey.

I always though an option not discussed for the Bears would be to draft Williams and keep Fields to use like Hill (unless he can't catch) That way they wouldn't have to throw Williams in right away and even if they do they have a decent backup. Williams could learn behind Fields just like Love learned behind Rodgers and Rodgers behind Favre. On second thought, scratch that I wouldn't want anyone learning from Fields. Well, as a Packer fan I would but I don't think anyone associated with Bears would. Fields has a relatively low cap hit but if they could get a second rounder for him that would likely be better than what they would have keeping him

Latest posts