Studs n duds New Orleans

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

Ervin set the NFL record for ground yards before the snap. ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should recall this game when the breaks don't go the Packers' way down the road.

Honestly, what plays stand out to you...I can only think of 3?

The misplaced ball on Jones' run was clearly wrong and got overturned, Big Dawg's TD recept I don't think you ever see called because he never extended either arm - that said the DB doesn't stop guarding (threw hands up) I think he does get the call because Lewis does in fact push. The final was the phantom horse collar on the Jamaal play.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't they game plan everyone? This is the NFL. The Packers game planned Kamara and he was still a stud. What would it take for MVS to be a dud? Can it only be drops? I didn't have him as a dud but 1 catch for 5 yards as the number 2 wr is pretty rough. Now maybe the Packers knew going in mvs was not going to get many looks and used him really well as a decoy all night.
Rodgers mentioned how they rolled help to mvs...which stopped him and opened up lazard

They didnt want Jones and mvs to bet them and thought it would work

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

The misplaced ball on Jones' run was clearly wrong and got overturned, Big Dawg's TD recept I don't think you ever see called because he never extended either arm - that said the DB doesn't stop guarding (threw hands up) I think he does get the call because Lewis does in fact push. The final was the phantom horse collar on the Jamaal play.
I agree with the 3...

Bit it seemed like they got more breaks

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except to say that my two favorite plays were Mercedes Lewis and Zadarious and that Crosby was a stud...I am only going to put duds. There are too many studs.
DUDS: #25 Will Redmond. He looks lost out there, does not cover or tackle well. Can't understand him being on the team.
Summers. I cannot believe people think he had a great game. He is only slightly better than Redmond. He has a high
motor but he just misses too many tackles and seems to pick the wrong hole to fill when playing the run.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers mentioned how they rolled help to mvs...which stopped him and opened up lazard

They didnt want Jones and mvs to bet them and thought it would work

To be fair, Jones would be my focus as well and second would be stopping the homerun threat that is MVS.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another DUD is that there are too many easy receptions because we are playing too far off. Even on 3rd and short and bull *******, they get an easy first down because King played too far off or nobody was watching Kamara. Or maybe that all they were doing was watching him. Hey great win. Just want to get even better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except to say that my two favorite plays were Mercedes Lewis and Zadarious and that Crosby was a stud...I am only going to put duds. There are too many studs.
DUDS: #25 Will Redmond. He looks lost out there, does not cover or tackle well. Can't understand him being on the team.
Summers. I cannot believe people think he had a great game. He is only slightly better than Redmond. He has a high
motor but he just misses too many tackles and seems to pick the wrong hole to fill when playing the run.

Whoa.....okay please bring forth some plays other than the terrible Kamara TD run one that he did so terrible? Summers that is...I was keying in on him and Barnes more than most on D and didn't notice this...I fully admit perhaps I missed some? Rough at times, sure, but outside of the Kamara play where he basically whiffed I don't see this negative mood?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa.....okay please bring forth some plays other than the terrible Kamara TD run one that he did so terrible? Summers that is...I was keying in on him and Barnes more than most on D and didn't notice this...I fully admit perhaps I missed some? Rough at times, sure, but outside of the Kamara play where he basically whiffed I don't see this negative mood?
Like you I will have to re-watch. I remember him blindly going in for a tackle two times and completely whiffing and the Kamara run highlighted both he and Redmond. I don't remember any great plays he made (well maybe one tackle). The box score has him having more tackles than anyone. I kind of doubt it unless they are clean up tackles. Will have to watch him 2nd time around but I do not think he is a good player. But I am certain that Will Redmond #25 is terrible. How much of Kamara coming out of the backfield was on Summers?

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is King a dud every week? he's like everyone's favorite whipping boy or something. The TD wasn't bad defense by him, they just had a great offensive call for the defense. I don't give him a stud either, but he was pretty solid all game long and there was a big 3rd down play in the 4th I think where he set the damn edge and they were tackled for loss rather than a big gainer.

Alexander is just like the defense. Very good, yet not at the same time. This defense can play and they do and then they turn in some plays or series where it looks like they aren't even going thru motions. Early in the game Jaire had a very good open field play, then later in the game on Kamara's TD he has a RB basically stopped on the sideline and and curls up to put a half hearted shoulder into him from the side and back that did nothing but give Kamara a shove towards the goal line and get him going again. just put your arms around him and hang on at the very least. It's not like he was barreling down on you for a head on collision.

But time for studs
-Rodgers was patient, accurate and in control all night
-Lazard had one drop but was consistent and had great concentration on that deep ball where he stumbled and layed out. that's a damn tough catch.
-TE's, nothing flashy, just solid TE play. I take that back, Mercedes made a really tough play for a TD, but as a whole, solid blocking and timely catches just like a TE should.
-Oline wasn't great- but they were pretty good against a really good front in NO. They didn't look great to me, but good against a very solid front.
-Keke made himself noticed.

Duds-tackling

I think most guys actually played pretty well. NO's is going to make plays on offense. I think we let them make too many, but some of them we have to realize what was going on, on the field. I remember one play in particular. Everyone was groaning or worse, in the shoutbox, but it was literally like 1 defensive lineman on the right of the DL and then we had Oren Burks and Amos with burks like an on the line OLB or DE and amos just a shade off him about 2 yards off LOS.

That is not a run stopping formation and they ran right at it. You're not going to win that very often. Lowry and Lancaster were't bad, they weren't great, but they weren't bad. you want to see bad, check out M. Adams. not even sure why he was out there at all. That new guy Winn looked loads better in one day than he has in 3 years. Adams is either still hurt or is very clearly continuing his regression into nothingness.

So, Tackling and Adams are my duds. thought everyone else was at least solid and guys like Alexander who very easily could have been a stud, didn't make all the plays to keep the stud status. That psuedo shove/tackle at the end knocks him down quite a bit in my book. I expect better from a player of his caliber and a stud makes that tackle or at least a better attempt and if he wants to be on that stud list he needs to make the stud plays. That INT was right there, great defense and he dropped it. It's a pattern for him. Looked to maybe shake that early this year, but last night to close that game out, dropped it. A stud needs to make that.

While Alexander is ofc the stronger link of our CB's, I agree that King takes a little too much of a beating. Sure, he can get lost, or is more prone to a holding or PI penalty. But I also like his awareness, evident from this play in the highlights at 9:08. Sanders catches the ball, and instead of tapping him down, he patiently waits for his chance like a predator until Sanders gets up so he can punch the ball loose. The referee ruled Sanders down already, but I liked King's thinking very much.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I am in agreement with many posters on the studs and duds, but I'd just like to mention MVS as a dud. I've lost all hope that he will ever be a capable #2. Overall I love where this team is heading, it's pretty complete but I still think we can use 1 piece on each side of the ball (especially Run D). Im hoping that the FO is willing to act and bring in a cheap FA.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To me the Lewis play wasn't offensive PI but I can see the complaint. The missed this on the play is the db grab lewis as he broke behind and even got jersey so at worst it should have been off-setting.

The Williams horse-collar was bad. There was also a taysom hill block but that got called a penalty that was questionable but the saints got a first on the next play.

In terms of bounces though the Saints put the ball in the ground 3 times and only lost 1 so that could have gone more the Packers way.

I thought the refs were pretty good last night. There were a couple that went the Packers way

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To me the Lewis play wasn't offensive PI but I can see the complaint. The missed this on the play is the db grab lewis as he broke behind and even got jersey so at worst it should have been off-setting.

The Williams horse-collar was bad. There was also a taysom hill block but that got called a penalty that was questionable but the saints got a first on the next play.

In terms of bounces though the Saints put the ball in the ground 3 times and only lost 1 so that could have gone more the Packers way.

I thought the refs were pretty good last night. There were a couple that went the Packers way
They missed the running into punter.

Pack would have been 4th down still and 3 yards to go..so still punting, but never know what could have happened

H

HardRightEdge

Also:
  • 9:55, 2nd. quarter: Offensive pass interference on Hill. He was standing on the line of scrimmage when he threw the block, within the one yard buffer.
  • 3:57, 3rd. quarter: Pass interference on the throw to Ervin that was uncatchable.
  • 2:56, 4th. quarter: Pass interference on the end zone throw to MVS was kinda ticky tacky with a good acting job by MVS.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also:
  • 9:55, 2nd. quarter: Offensive pass interference on Hill. He was standing on the line of scrimmage when he threw the block, within the one yard buffer.
  • 3:57, 3rd. quarter: Pass interference on the throw to Ervin that was uncatchable.
  • 2:56, 4th. quarter: Pass interference on the end zone throw to MVS was kinda ticky tacky with a good acting job by MVS.
the pass interference on HIll was prpobably the "wrong" call but it wasn't wrong. he had 2 hands full of Jersey and holding the entire time before the ball was in the air and after it was caught. Either way it was a 10 yard penalty on them.

The one to Ervin was uncatchable, but then the defender took a gamble that he was beat because he never evenn attemtped to look at the ball or make a real play just gave him a good shove. He plays the ball, turns his head or anything other than a give up type of defensive play I don't think it's called.

I think MVS play was more holding earlier in the route than PI. but they call that and don't call that all the time. hard to know.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The horse collar was the worst one. In real time, It looked bad. I thought it was an easy call and obvious. Then I saw the replay and it's one of those where I was wondering how it looked so bad in real life, because it clearly wasn't. not even close.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Last week when I was talking about Petals' offensive system being capable of doing more with less, compared to Mike McCarthy's, this type of game was exactly what I was talking about.

Rodgers is thriving within scheme, and it's beautiful to watch.

Ty Summers should probably be released.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Also, I don't know how the Packers organization will ever get over letting Taysom Hill get away.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They missed the running into punter.

Pack would have been 4th down still and 3 yards to go..so still punting, but never know what could have happened

That was actually a pretty big penalty if I remember correctly because I think New Orleans had a nice return on the punt. Probably ended up being a 20 yard or so difference.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the pass interference on HIll was prpobably the "wrong" call but it wasn't wrong. he had 2 hands full of Jersey and holding the entire time before the ball was in the air and after it was caught. Either way it was a 10 yard penalty on them.

The one to Ervin was uncatchable, but then the defender took a gamble that he was beat because he never evenn attemtped to look at the ball or make a real play just gave him a good shove. He plays the ball, turns his head or anything other than a give up type of defensive play I don't think it's called.

I think MVS play was more holding earlier in the route than PI. but they call that and don't call that all the time. hard to know.

The MVS one was definitely holding earlier in the play. The db had a handful of jersey. They honestly just called the wrong thing.

The Ervin one I will give because it was uncatchable so if it was called on the Packers I would be frustrated. However it was also a terrible play by the db because he definitely hit Ervin way too early.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARodg was studly for the most part. a couple of loose throws early on. But money late. Lazard stepped up big time. It was great seeing Sternberger get a couple of grabs.

Defensively was a challenge early on, but hung in there and made some plays late in the game when it mattered.

All and all, 3-0 is pretty damn sweet. Schedule doesn't soften up until the 2nd half of the season so it's great to get a few to start.

Studs:

A-Rodg
Lazard
Tight Ends
Offensive game plan
Crosby (perfect again).

Duds:
Tackling, most notable on Kama's long trek to the endzone. That said, Kamara is special.

Noteworthy: Not only can Oren Burks not get on the field ahead of UDFA Kris Barnes, he's behind Ty Summers as well. His days in Titletown appear to be numbered.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also:

Appreciate it! Will definitely give them a look!

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUDS:
Aaron and Aaron, Lazard, O-line,
Why isn't AJ Dillon out there in goal-to go situations? He is 250lbs.

DUDS:
again, this defense is one of the worst in the NFL. I cringe every time we play a good offense.
there is no chance of this team going far in the playoffs with this defense, as is.
If Devante Adams cannot get his *** on the field, it makes the Jordan Love pick even worse. We could have had Tee Higgins on the field instead of the awful MVS. His drops and lack of effort are pathetic. Go get Dez Bryant or something, because DA will be milking this injury for weeks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUDS:
Aaron and Aaron, Lazard, O-line,
Why isn't AJ Dillon out there in goal-to go situations? He is 250lbs.

DUDS:
again, this defense is one of the worst in the NFL. I cringe every time we play a good offense.
there is no chance of this team going far in the playoffs with this defense, as is.
If Devante Adams cannot get his *** on the field, it makes the Jordan Love pick even worse. We could have had Tee Higgins on the field instead of the awful MVS. His drops and lack of effort are pathetic. Go get Dez Bryant or something, because DA will be milking this injury for weeks.

MVS didn't have a drop? Lazard was only receiver I believe that had a drop last night.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Lazard - Finally produced against a solid secondary, folks he is beginning to make a believer out of me.
TE room - I've long said, we are transitioning to more TE centered passing and last night illustrated it.
Rodgers - The "lovely" chip on his shoulder is a beautiful thing, besides him and MVS just missing their timing on a few big chances he played AWESOME.
Keke - Not sure he's going to assist where our Defense truly needs it, run defense, but man was his pressure and attacking an awesome thing to see.

Duds:

Lancaster/Lowry - Just no where close to where we need them.
Kevin King - Few more games like this, he for sure is gonna get passed by Sullivan (who nearly was a stud for me).
Pettine - I hesitated putting him here...lost his BEST non-secondary guy in Clark...remove his playcaller in Kirksey...but still just not a fan of what we are doing on that side of the ball atm.

So wait...on ONE play, he along with literally 4 other Packers (you did not name) failed to actually attempt a tackle and not a "shove (being generous)". Also I'm fairly certain he was the 2nd guy on him, not the first with a chance at ending the play. 7th round pick, first considerable time, in the dome, against a HOF QB...talk about a plunge into the fire.

I counted...he was the 2nd player to miss him of 6 actually. And it wasn't just the Kamara play. He has to improve if he's gonna play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts