Studs n duds New Orleans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Stud: Matt LeFleur

I want to point out how absolutely brilliantly MLF managed the clock on that last drive.

First of all, he waits until there's 1 second left on the play clock to throw the challenge flag. You would think that would be obvious, but to many coaches it is not. So he knew that if it didn't work, at least the clock is down to 2:04.

Then just as brilliantly, he realizes that no matter whether he runs or passes on the next play, the clock will stop with the 2 minute warning. So he takes advantage of that and catches the Saints absolutely selling out on the run which leaves Tonyan wide open.

All of this helped lead to just not enough time left for the Saints to rally late.

Great work, coach.

Was thinking the EXACT same thing. McCarthy was never quite that clever when it came to the game and time clock.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
STUD: Mike McCarthy for cutting Taysome Hill and allowing the Saints to pick him up, pay him $16.3 M and have him fumble the ball tonight to basically turn the game over to us. That play to me was the big momentum changer of the night.

**patiently waits for all those who I have had Taysome Hill discussions with to jump in**
They wont

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You are NO..you are pretty sure Davante isnt playing. So who do you game plan to stop???

Jones

Then we have people here wondering why Jones isnt playing enough even tho we are scoring and moving the ball

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Then we have people here wondering why Jones isnt playing enough even tho we are scoring and moving the ball

I'm trying to imagine what this offense would be like with Davante, Lazard and Funchess or another decent WR. MVS is starting to feel like a one trick pony. Up until I believe the 3rd Q, Lazard was the only WR with a catch. If you don't consider Ervin a WR, Lazard had all but one catch for the entire WR group.

But it is hard to complain about this offense right now, especially after facing a better defense than the 2 previous ones that they faced.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine what this offense would be like with Davante, Lazard and Funchess or another decent WR. MVS is starting to feel like a one trick pony. Up until I believe the 3rd Q, Lazard was the only WR with a catch. If you don't consider Ervin a WR, Lazard had all but one catch for the entire WR group.

But it is hard to complain about this offense right now, especially after facing a better defense than the 2 previous ones that they faced.

Funchess would barley play in this offense.

Lazard and Adams occupy alot of the same space in this offense. That's why you see Lazards production spike with Adams out. The reason why MVSs production falls sans Adams is because Lazard doesn't shift coverage. It isnt cracking the DaVinci code

The Packers compensated for that by utilizing role outs the TEs tonight and benefited from Lazard winning on the few times they sent him deep because they weren't expecting it

With a fully healthy (and available) receiving group Funchess is either the #4 WR or hes regulating Lazard to that role in a best case scenario. MVS's role is locked in (and actually kinda vital) cause his skill set isn't possessed by any other reciever in the roster whether its showing up on the stat sheet or not

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shout out to the prevent defense that everyone likes to lambest here.

Thats how you execute it. 8-9 yards. Tackle center of the field. Tic tok keep the clock moving. Force them into kicking the FG with 30 seconds left with the hope n a prayer of an onside kick recovery

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Rodgers. Not sure how he would not be on a list
He had some beautiful throws.
TE group - Hard to single out one
LeFluer. Outside the 4 and 1 call he was great
Offensive line. I know we didn't rack up rushing yards but Rodgers stayed upright
Keke

Duds
Our tackling except the last couple drives
Whoever was covering Kamara. He just had way too much space before a defender even tried to tackle him

I too am not a fan of MLF going for it on 4th down on the wrong side of the 50. Thankfully Smith recovered that fumble and the Saints never recovered from that play.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Studs; Jones
Lazard (if I were the Saints I would have had him checked for Stickum)
Rodgers (that one is for Packattack12.....lol ;)).

Duds; I never played the game but the run defence. They were poor IMHO

Did we have two #13 on the field last night ? He was awesome

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They game.planned him
Don't they game plan everyone? This is the NFL. The Packers game planned Kamara and he was still a stud. What would it take for MVS to be a dud? Can it only be drops? I didn't have him as a dud but 1 catch for 5 yards as the number 2 wr is pretty rough. Now maybe the Packers knew going in mvs was not going to get many looks and used him really well as a decoy all night.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Lazard - Finally produced against a solid secondary, folks he is beginning to make a believer out of me.
TE room - I've long said, we are transitioning to more TE centered passing and last night illustrated it.
Rodgers - The "lovely" chip on his shoulder is a beautiful thing, besides him and MVS just missing their timing on a few big chances he played AWESOME.
Keke - Not sure he's going to assist where our Defense truly needs it, run defense, but man was his pressure and attacking an awesome thing to see.

Duds:

Lancaster/Lowry - Just no where close to where we need them.
Kevin King - Few more games like this, he for sure is gonna get passed by Sullivan (who nearly was a stud for me).
Pettine - I hesitated putting him here...lost his BEST non-secondary guy in Clark...remove his playcaller in Kirksey...but still just not a fan of what we are doing on that side of the ball atm.

Ya know I love me some Ty Summers but I can't put him on either list. Yes he was a Stud by stepping in and playing decent when Kirksley went down but he had Kamara on that TD, and failed to bring him down, and there were other less than stellar tackles. He'll improve, no doubt, I just didn't see him as a Stud tonight.

So wait...on ONE play, he along with literally 4 other Packers (you did not name) failed to actually attempt a tackle and not a "shove (being generous)". Also I'm fairly certain he was the 2nd guy on him, not the first with a chance at ending the play. 7th round pick, first considerable time, in the dome, against a HOF QB...talk about a plunge into the fire.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't they game plan everyone? This is the NFL. The Packers game planned Kamara and he was still a stud. What would it take for MVS to be a dud? Can it only be drops? I didn't have him as a dud but 1 catch for 5 yards as the number 2 wr is pretty rough. Now maybe the Packers knew going in mvs was not going to get many looks and used him really well as a decoy all night.

Rodgers himself said they rolled coverage towards MVS all night in his post-game interview. Mentioned it twice actually, once directly and then again when discussing Lazard indirectly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't say stud ratings but let's also give some shoutouts to three guys that answered the call last night:

Oren Burks - Finally, kudos brother. You contributed on STs and late on Defense.

Jonathan Garvin - Dude was a straight steal when we nabbed him and his limited snaps he is continuing to show great upside.

Krys Barnes - This dude is making me look like fortune teller. Young man just continuously has his nose around the ball on limited snaps. Coming into last night had 10 tackles on less than 20 snaps, and continually seemed to be around the plays again when in. Summers did great and knows the system better...but Barnes in many ways is playing better than any ILB we have right now.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised by Summers. He looked like he knew what he was doing and showed good speed and a nose for the ball. He did miss that tackle on Kamara's 3rd. quarter romp along with half the defense, and he got suckered away from the play on a zone drop, but otherwise pretty impressive. He did not look like a guy taking his first ever regular season defensive snaps.
Ditto this. The guy showed me he was ready to step in and play with quiet confidence.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: Offense and play calling. Young reserves called upon to contribute, did so and didn’t hurt us. O-line against a tough front 7. Mason Crosby. Gonna be tough to replace him someday I fear. The referees liked us.
A brief shoutout to Marcaedes Lewis. A pro’s pro.

Duds: Leaving Kamara totally wide open in the flat a few times. Completely do not understand that. Slight dud, kick return team. It looked to me that New Orlean’s KR team was clearly better than ours.

side note: good defensive game plan by Dennis Allen.

Very good win. I don’t know how any Packer fan could be anything but very pleased by what we saw last night. We’re a very tough nut to crack, guys.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are NO..you are pretty sure Davante isnt playing. So who do you game plan to stop???

Jones

Rodgers mentioned it right after the game with his on field interview. Said they had a good plan to cover up Jones and Ervin out of the backfield so they needed other guys to step up and they did. he also mentioned they were shading help to MVS which is why he went to Lazard quite a bit.

This is how it's supposed to work. The more they commit to stopping 1 or 2 things, the more other things open up. When you consistently hit those it only opens up the variability in the offense and keeps defense on their heels. It's refreshing to see again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is King a dud every week? he's like everyone's favorite whipping boy or something. The TD wasn't bad defense by him, they just had a great offensive call for the defense. I don't give him a stud either, but he was pretty solid all game long and there was a big 3rd down play in the 4th I think where he set the damn edge and they were tackled for loss rather than a big gainer.

Alexander is just like the defense. Very good, yet not at the same time. This defense can play and they do and then they turn in some plays or series where it looks like they aren't even going thru motions. Early in the game Jaire had a very good open field play, then later in the game on Kamara's TD he has a RB basically stopped on the sideline and and curls up to put a half hearted shoulder into him from the side and back that did nothing but give Kamara a shove towards the goal line and get him going again. just put your arms around him and hang on at the very least. It's not like he was barreling down on you for a head on collision.

But time for studs
-Rodgers was patient, accurate and in control all night
-Lazard had one drop but was consistent and had great concentration on that deep ball where he stumbled and layed out. that's a damn tough catch.
-TE's, nothing flashy, just solid TE play. I take that back, Mercedes made a really tough play for a TD, but as a whole, solid blocking and timely catches just like a TE should.
-Oline wasn't great- but they were pretty good against a really good front in NO. They didn't look great to me, but good against a very solid front.
-Keke made himself noticed.

Duds-tackling

I think most guys actually played pretty well. NO's is going to make plays on offense. I think we let them make too many, but some of them we have to realize what was going on, on the field. I remember one play in particular. Everyone was groaning or worse, in the shoutbox, but it was literally like 1 defensive lineman on the right of the DL and then we had Oren Burks and Amos with burks like an on the line OLB or DE and amos just a shade off him about 2 yards off LOS.

That is not a run stopping formation and they ran right at it. You're not going to win that very often. Lowry and Lancaster were't bad, they weren't great, but they weren't bad. you want to see bad, check out M. Adams. not even sure why he was out there at all. That new guy Winn looked loads better in one day than he has in 3 years. Adams is either still hurt or is very clearly continuing his regression into nothingness.

So, Tackling and Adams are my duds. thought everyone else was at least solid and guys like Alexander who very easily could have been a stud, didn't make all the plays to keep the stud status. That psuedo shove/tackle at the end knocks him down quite a bit in my book. I expect better from a player of his caliber and a stud makes that tackle or at least a better attempt and if he wants to be on that stud list he needs to make the stud plays. That INT was right there, great defense and he dropped it. It's a pattern for him. Looked to maybe shake that early this year, but last night to close that game out, dropped it. A stud needs to make that.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers himself said they rolled coverage towards MVS all night in his post-game interview. Mentioned it twice actually, once directly and then again when discussing Lazard indirectly.
Makes sense. I didn't have mvs as a dud just explaining why someone may have thought he was but you and longtime sure make it seem like the Packers clearly went what the saints gave them

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Crosby as a stud? 52 and 49 yards field goals in a game where every score mattered

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Stud: Matt LeFleur

I want to point out how absolutely brilliantly MLF managed the clock on that last drive.

First of all, he waits until there's 1 second left on the play clock to throw the challenge flag. You would think that would be obvious, but to many coaches it is not. So he knew that if it didn't work, at least the clock is down to 2:04.

Then just as brilliantly, he realizes that no matter whether he runs or passes on the next play, the clock will stop with the 2 minute warning. So he takes advantage of that and catches the Saints absolutely selling out on the run which leaves Tonyan wide open.

All of this helped lead to just not enough time left for the Saints to rally late.

Great work, coach.
His game management from every single angle is so much superior than that of Mike McCarthy. It cannot be understated just how important that's been.

Overall, he's in total command.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Adams, Lazard, and Funchess were the only WR's on the field, DB's would just sit on top of their routes. Adams and Lazard are good, but they aren't speed threats by any means.

You need a guy like MVS to threaten to take the top off, because a defense has to account for it every single time. So is he a one trick pony? A bit early to tell, but evidence points towards that he is. And who cares? It's an important trick! One could say it's vital! Ted Ginn had the same role. Martavis Bryant had the same role. It's important, and opens an offense up.

I can't recall if you still have my on block for whatever reason you would, but somebody tell this man to unblock me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts