Studs n duds cowboy game

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really feel like MM gets faaaaar too much credit for this victory
I like your analyses, but I think where I give MM most credit is that the general level of play was better on offense this game. Maybe the line is getting healthy, but even when healthy this offensive line is up and down, and I give MM credit for the better effort. Seems to me in a 16 game season it's not too much to ask for it every week.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
*shakes his head* have to love the negative nellies who want to spin any topic and make it controversial. Always wonder why they are at home typing when they are obviously over qualified to be an NFL Head Coach.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always wonder why they are at home typing when they are obviously over qualified to be an NFL Head Coach.

And I always wondered why people on forum, change to personal attacks when an opposing viewpoint is brought up instead of refuting it.

Fact is they won, which is great! Just have some perspective. Even Rodgers said that it wasn't about the playcalling. That it was about execution. So by your terms of argument, that makes you more qualified than the 2 time MVP to evaluate the game.

Also its not like they were up by 20 at halftime, scored on every drive and looked like a well oiled machine as they have in the past. This game looked decent. But it's not like they haven't looked decent on offense this season. It isn't the first time all year that they have scored 28.

The game was close till 4 minutes left in the 4th... At least in my viewpoint. The biggest change was the willingness to give the ball to Lacy and Starks consistently until the end of the game. That I will give credit to McCarthy for or maybe Aaron was switching to those. I honestly have no idea. It's also something the Packers may have to lean on if they want to make an impact in the post season.

I am hopeful the uptick continues. Whether that has to do with confidence to have McCarthy back calling the plays, players executing better, or just better plays. Does it matter? You can't prove either and I tend to side with Aaron if that is what he is saying. After all he's about the best source you can have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And I always wondered why people on forum, change to personal attacks when an opposing viewpoint is brought up instead of refuting it.

Some opposing viewpoints refuse to believe anyone but themselves

Even Rodgers said that it wasn't about the playcalling. That it was about execution. So by your terms of argument, that makes you more qualified than the 2 time MVP to evaluate the game.

Read my posts before putting words in my mouth, I clearly stated execution was a factor, but play calling deserves more credit then most are willing to give it. For someone who not long ago posted non-stop about all his inside information on Rodgers character and said Rodgers doesn't deserve all the credit he gets, you are switching that this week to "what Rodgers says in public is godspeak?" Ever hear about saying something to protect a friend? In this case, both MM and AR were guarded on what they said about their Friend, Tom Clements.

Also its not like they were up by 20 at halftime, scored on every drive and looked like a well oiled machine as they have in the past. This game looked decent. But it's not like they haven't looked decent on offense this season. It isn't the first time all year that they have scored 28.

Again, read my posts. I never said they were back to the offensive machine they were last year. I said this was a good building block, but we will learn more in the coming games. To flip your argument, are you saying execution during their lull in the offense was perfect and it was due to poor play calling that they were slowed down?

I am hopeful the uptick continues. Whether that has to do with confidence to have McCarthy back calling the plays, players executing better, or just better plays. Does it matter? You can't prove either and I tend to side with Aaron if that is what he is saying. After all he's about the best source you can have.

Again, I didn't say it was ONLY play calling. and again.....you are using AR as the "best source" after what you said last week? consistent?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You mean refuse your point of view. I am not the only one that believe this emphasis on playcalling is being blown out of proportion. You admit below many other think it wasn't that big of deal.

Read my posts before putting words in my mouth, I clearly stated execution was a factor, but play calling deserves more credit then most are willing to give it. For someone who not long ago posted non-stop about all his inside information on Rodgers character and said Rodgers doesn't deserve all the credit he gets, you are switching that this week to "what Rodgers says in public is godspeak?"

First of all my post were regarding Rodger "leadership" and him being a role model. Not his post-game press conferences. Nor have I ever accused him of lying, I don't believe? Could be wrong there. Just for reference that is like stating I suck at English so I must not be able to put Lego's together. Those are two completely different things.

Ever hear about saying something to protect a friend? In this case, both MM and AR were guarded on what they said about their Friend, Tom Clements.

Where was this stated? Or is this just your belief? If it was said... that is my bad and I missed it. Had to work late yesterday and I hadn't heard anything about this.

Again, read my posts. I never said they were back to the offensive machine they were last year. I said this was a good building block, but we will learn more in the coming games. To flip your argument, are you saying execution during their lull in the offense was perfect and it was due to poor play calling that they were slowed down?

What? Not sure I follow you on this one... No they executed poorly. Bad blocking, bad catching, zero separation by WR, bad throws, mental mistakes, penalties, running backs falling on first contact... There is a 100 reason why they have under performed during certain portions of this year. But most come back to execution not what play was called.

Again, I didn't say it was ONLY play calling. and again.....you are using AR as the "best source" after what you said last week? consistent?

Lmao, Rodgers has nothing to do with my feelings toward the playcalling. He is only being used in this circumstance to show that your of "Always wonder why they are at home typing when they are obviously over qualified to be an NFL Head Coach." Was a ridiculous judgemental statement. And adds nothing to conversation.

My only point in this whole argument, is other people have opinions others then your own. That doesn't mean you need to insult them in order to prove your point. Nor do you have to blow it out of proportion. Only time will tell if the playcalling is the significant difference that leads this team down the correct path.

Be respectful and add conversation as to why you support that. The name calling and accusing people of being "over qualified as a head coach" is just disrespectful to people.

As I stated before... Here are the reasons I think it wasn't as big of a concern.

#1 Eddie and James made something out of nothing a couple times.
- Eddie alone had 124 yards 73 of those after contact. That I find to be an incredible personal effort. Not playcalling.

#2 Packers offesnse stalled for nearly half the game.
- In 5 drives the Packers had 60 yards and 5 punts. A span of 28 minutes without a score. That's a huge lull and I think again that was execution on those drives. (Though that drive with Cobb seems out of sorts.)

#3 Dallas gave up about its average per game in points.
- This Dallas defense is relied upon a lot given how bad the QB situation is. Thus they do tend to give up I believe around 23 points a game.

#4 This isn't the first time the Packers have scored 28 this season. This wasn't a special game. They played better than Detroit for sure. But was it better than the game at Minny? Or Chiefs? Or putting up over 400 yards against Carolina? Hard to say right now. Maybe?

#5 It's one game, hard to make a definitive statement about anything after one game. Could it be play-calling? Maybe? Maybe it confidence coming off a big win. Maybe it was all about Eddie proving a point.

Points can be made without insulting other people, they don't have to be idiots or arm chair coaches to have an opinion. If you want to put your reasons out there why you definitively feel after 1 game its all about the play calling than that is your right. And I have fun learning other sides of the spectrum. Just in my perspective, do it with a little respect to others on the boards.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

*shakes his head* have to love the negative nellies who want to spin any topic and make it controversial. Always wonder why they are at home typing when they are obviously over qualified to be an NFL Head Coach.

Not nice PB.....:)

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Un4given continues to find himself in arguments :sneaky:

Agreed :(

Perhaps it's easier if I just go to another site to talk football.

Just not sure why people have to go from talking about the Packers game.... Directly to personal attacks, name calling, and accusations. All without adding any information to the thread for other user.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed :(

Perhaps it's easier if I just go to another site to talk football.

Just not sure why people have to go from talking about the Packers game.... Directly to personal attacks, name calling, and accusations. All without adding any information to the thread for other user.
Stay breh. You're a good poster, even though I wish you were a little more optimistic at times :sneaky:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stay breh. You're a good poster, even though I wish you were a little more optimistic at times :sneaky:

Lol thanks, and Ill try to change that up :)

Speaking on that subject does anyone know why jayrone elliott doesn't get more play time. I feel like he makes plays when he is in. Mostly in the pass game, but does he get pushed around to much in the run? Or maybe its just that I only notice him when he is making plays.

Think I heard this morning he only played like 13 snaps last week.

I

Lol thanks, and Ill try to change that up :)

Speaking on that subject does anyone know why jayrone elliott doesn't get more play time. I feel like he makes plays when he is in. Mostly in the pass game, but does he get pushed around to much in the run? Or maybe its just that I only notice him when he is making plays.

Think I heard this morning he only played like 13 snaps last week.

You don`t have to go anywhere.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You mean refuse your point of view. I am not the only one that believe this emphasis on playcalling is being blown out of proportion. You admit below many other think it wasn't that big of deal.

Well... I have had a user on here say verbatim, "nothing you can say will change my mind."

I think that's more the rule than the exception on online forums, tbh.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Great" reporting, I doubt that was a sewer with an open grate over it or that place would really stink.....more like a storm water run off drain.

I

Points can be made without insulting other people, they don't have to be idiots or arm chair coaches to have an opinion. If you want to put your reasons out there why you definitively feel after 1 game its all about the play calling than that is your right. And I have fun learning other sides of the spectrum. Just in my perspective, do it with a little respect to others on the boards.

THIS......says it all. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you about this wasnt so much about play calling, as it was a confidence booster..

#2, no one that says it was play calling will agree to that

It was 14-7 with 8 mins to go..Like to know play calling helped?

As I stated before... Here are the reasons I think it wasn't as big of a concern.

#1 Eddie and James made something out of nothing a couple times.
- Eddie alone had 124 yards 73 of those after contact. That I find to be an incredible personal effort. Not playcalling.

#2 Packers offesnse stalled for nearly half the game.
- In 5 drives the Packers had 60 yards and 5 punts. A span of 28 minutes without a score. That's a huge lull and I think again that was execution on those drives. (Though that drive with Cobb seems out of sorts.)

#4 This isn't the first time the Packers have scored 28 this season. This wasn't a special game. They played better than Detroit for sure. But was it better than the game at Minny? Or Chiefs? Or putting up over 400 yards against Carolina? Hard to say right now. Maybe?

#5 It's one game, hard to make a definitive statement about anything after one game. Could it be play-calling? Maybe? Maybe it confidence coming off a big win. Maybe it was all about Eddie proving a point.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there was something in here about how Cobb in the backfield was not wise. For those, I give you this-

http://www.packers.com/media-center...75-409a-80a2-e279ad9c0981?campaign=sf17154884

I should have clarified when I said this, it is running Cobb multiple times after half-time that I had a problem with. Not him being there in general. If you need one play to add to film to show you can do it, i can understand.

But I doubt three is necessary especially after they already fell for the play-action to him earlier in the game. It's not like a team hasn't seen the play-action with him there at that point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think there was something in here about how Cobb in the backfield was not wise. For those, I give you this-

http://www.packers.com/media-center...75-409a-80a2-e279ad9c0981?campaign=sf17154884

Nice find on that clip. Too often people see a formation or a particular play fail and then can't understand why it is run again. hmmmmm......maybe because its successful more times then it isn't or it's setting the Defense up to react in a way that is advantages to the offense? Again, this goes back to play calling. Not just one play......but the entire full game of plays. Some OC's might have seen this particular play not work as drawn up and abandoned it, but others have the eyes and knowledge to see what it opens up and go back to it with that information. Glad to have TC's eyes in the Press Box and MM's voice on the field.

Members online

Latest posts