Studs n duds cowboy game

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studly: Lacy's Lambeau Leap
Dudley: Penalties
Studs: Packer weather, Team, Adjustments
Duds:Dez Bryants catch (Oh he didn't catch it), again penalties Cmon boys it's week 13, Pass protection

In the Packers' defense, a few of those holding calls were pretty picky. Still don't like to seem them though.

Adams didn't hold, but a good way to get called for holding to to put his arms on the outside like he did.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Stud; "Green and Gold" for making a bold prediction in the shout box earlier in the day. He predicted the Packers would rush for over 200 yards. I wonder if he will buy me a lottery ticket?? :whistling:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good win for MM, who had a lot to do with the offense showing life. Our offensive line controlled a good Dallas front. On the other hand, our front 7 was terrible against the run. Thank Dallas for ignoring it.

We'll find out a lot about this team the next 2 weeks against good teams on the road.

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Aaron threw the touch down to Richard, the Packer radio announcer refer it as "The law firm of Rodgers and Rodgers."

Studs: Lacy, Claymaker, McFadden (yeah, I know he is a Cowboy, but that run play was great to watch)
Duds: The ball on the 1/2 yard line and Still cannot punch it in.
The Cowboys cannot make a third down conversion. Sad when you think about it.
Deja vous all over again:Dez Bryant getting another catch overturned.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs- Janis on Special teams. unstoppable out there and broke down when he had to and perfectly timed. Absolute stud today.

Starks and Lacy, that's how a 1-2 punch works. They were having fun and supportive out there. some kudos to the Oline for run blocking like they did. They had creases and they hit them hard.

Randall, I think this kid is going to be great. Defensively overall they were good, but i think what he's doing as a rookie is outstanding.

Duds- short yardage again. Can't get 1 yard when we need it, but in a game we win like that I guess it doesn't matter. Maybe it's just film to build something off of going forward. Different plays out of the same look, I don't know. Looking for some silver lining because we should be able to get 1 yard in 2 tries, that or we just take our chances passing every short yardage situation we face because it has as good or better chance of working.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good win for MM, who had a lot to do with the offense showing life. Our offensive line controlled a good Dallas front. On the other hand, our front 7 was terrible against the run. Thank Dallas for ignoring it.

We'll find out a lot about this team the next 2 weeks against good teams on the road.
I think outside of those 2 runs, they did pretty well against the run. Those 2 breakdowns were big, but overall I thought they were pretty solid up front.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs:
Demarious Randall
MM
Jeff Janis
Lacy/Starks
Cobb
Clay-Jake Ryan
Jayron Elliot

Duds:
BJ Raji
Dayton Jones
3rd and short offense

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Entire defense. Janis on punt coverage. Lacy, Starks, and offensive line late in the game.

Duds: Third quarter. What happened?

Good news: For the second week in a row, every team in the NFC North except the Packers lost.

First place feels good. Let's stay there.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Studs: the hoodie (good luck charm?)

On that note: I am surprised that the NFL allows hoods on the field. I mean, imagine the damage that can be done by someone grabbing that hood and yanking the guy down from behind. High potential for serious neck/throat damage...

And just like pulling a guy down by the hair, I believe a pull down using the hood (same as jersey) is allowed. I.e. no penalty.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
On that note: I am surprised that the NFL allows hoods on the field. I mean, imagine the damage that can be done by someone grabbing that hood and yanking the guy down from behind. High potential for serious neck/throat damage...

And just like pulling a guy down by the hair, I believe a pull down using the hood (same as jersey) is allowed. I.e. no penalty.

I thought the same thing about the hoodie. Also in a rain, that thing has got to weigh you down a bit. Maybe it's waterproof and tear away? I say keep it and fit Adams for one too!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've seen Clay listed as "stud" a few times for this game. Great sack, but would like to see him go for the tackle and trying to pop the ball out on such a clean shot at an unprepared QB in that situation. Instead he ignored the ball and just went for the big hit. I know, I know, wrap up the tackle, but this defense is going to need to start being a little more aggressive on stripping the ball when they can to win in the playoffs. Also, can't help but wonder where Clay or Ryan were during those long runs up the middle.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUDS: MM, Lacy, Starks
DUDS: Penalties and allowing big run plays

Also have to make the point of how much better the receivers played this game. Give credit where credit is due and they definitely had their eyes on the ball this game instead of trying to run before the catch.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Demarious Randall
MM
Jeff Janis
Lacy/Starks
Cobb
Clay-Jake Ryan
Jayron Elliot

Duds:
BJ Raji
Dayton Jones
3rd and short offense

I think it depends on your definition of studs... As Rodgers said after the game it's execution not playcalling. Also only one week of a good not great passing game but excellent rushing game. I will say the creative swing pass really made me happy to see. Cobb in the backfield after the day Lacy was having... Not so much. Not ready to anoint MM as the savior of the Packers offense.

Studs:
Lacy
Starks
Randall
Janis (special teams... New Jarrett bush v2)
O-Line runblocking - As much as people around here hate the O-Line... YOu don't get 200+ yards if they don't block. Too many holding calls but they were pretty iffy.

Duds:
Sitton on screens (Not sure what is going on but twice he didn't get a head of the play and it stopped what could have been a bigger play.)

3 and 1 play-calling. Said this is the shoutbox during the game and I will say it here. No need to be cute here. Running out of the shotgun, play action out of the shotgun.... You have a bowling ball in the backfield... And need 3 feet. Use him. If you can't earn a yard with your running game, you probably don't deserve to win. Line your men up and earn it the old fashion way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I beg to differ with the logic of "it's execution, not play calling". It's both! While executing a called play is probably more important, if the play that was called was the wrong one for the situation/defense, even proper execution of that play may have limited success. Play calling IMO is an art form, involves a lot more then just a play sheet and randomly picking plays and then relying solely on them being executed properly.

As I have said, this was only one game with MM back calling plays, but on a wet rainy day, against a decent defense, MM proved that when it comes to play calling, he knows just what he is doing.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think outside of those 2 runs, they did pretty well against the run. Those 2 breakdowns were big, but overall I thought they were pretty solid up front.
171 yards rushing doesn't qualify as "pretty solid" imo. Big plays are always part of a rushing game--our total included. Against a good offensive team they will kill us.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I beg to differ with the logic of "it's execution, not play calling". It's both! While executing a called play is probably more important, if the play that was called was the wrong one for the situation/defense, even proper execution of that play may have limited success. Play calling IMO is an art form, involves a lot more then just a play sheet and randomly picking plays and then relying solely on them being executed properly.

As I have said, this was only one game with MM back calling plays, but on a wet rainy day, against a decent defense, MM proved that when it comes to play calling, he knows just what he is doing.

Is that why the Packers didn't score for nearly an entire half in row? 5 consecutive punts, 60 yards total in 5 drives? Putting Cobb in the backfield again is almost laughable after the day Eddie and James were having.

Finally he got smart and went back to Eddie and James and close out the game.

I really feel like MM gets faaaaar too much credit for this victory. What about Shield's play in the endzone (Or Dez lack of a catch either way still not points). Eddie having like 60 yards after contact. Does that all have to deal with McCarthy's playcalling to.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting Cobb in the backfield probably had as much to do with teams we're likely to face to close out the season, more specifically in the playoffs and the probability that we'll have Montgomery back by then and playing too.

But the team just executed better, that was it. If MM calling plays gives them the confidence to do it, then so be it. maybe it was just dumb luck, maybe they figured now it's really crunch time, maybe they all got laid. Whatever it was, they played better against a pretty decent defense. We'll find out if they can sustain it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts