Studs n duds Cards

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd rather have Love see his first action at home, against the Lions. The KC team and crowd know that another win brings their team back to contending and keeps them on a roll going into Las Vegas next week. Arrowhead is considered by most as the loudest sports stadium in the world, that isn't going to fair well for Love if the Chiefs start rolling.
The best way to keep the crowd out of the game is to slash and gash them with our running game on long drives and hopefully keep their offense from developing a good rythym and tempo.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I've watched the Packers since a kid in the Lombardi days, when they played 12 games. I remember one year they were 11-1. Who did they lose to? Fran T and the Vikes, and they had a lousy team. So yes indeed milani, best not to take too much for granted (Like Rodgers' health, for example).
Packers have had 4 one loss seasons in their history, not counting the current one. 2 predate the Vikings existence. One was in 1962 where the only loss was Thanksgiving to the Lions. The final one was 10 years ago to the upcoming Chiefs. A bit of old-timers disease setting in? https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/green-bay-packers/seasons

D

Deleted member 6794

The KC defense is bad and I believe it is a little bit worse vs. the pass than the run.

The Chiefs defense ranks 26th in passer rating and 28th in yards per rushing attempt allowed.

I would not say lock on the division yet. If Rodgers misses 2 games that could bring us to 7-3. And Minnesota only a game behind with 2 against us. They will be licking their chops.The only easy one left may be Week 18 in Detroit. I hope.

I don't expect the Vikings to win at Baltimore and at the Chargers over the next two weeks though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've watched the Packers since a kid in the Lombardi days, when they played 12 games. I remember one year they were 11-1. Who did they lose to? Fran T and the Vikes, and they had a lousy team. So yes indeed milani, best not to take too much for granted (Like Rodgers' health, for example).
And that game you mentioned I believe comes to mind. In1966 we had only one loss until right around now and Tark came in and surprised us 20-17. Our D was exhausted from chasing him. Several weeks later we went back up to Minnesota and our D did a better job with Willie Davis swarming all over 28-16. Only 2 losses by a total of 4 points that year.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chiefs defense ranks 26th in passer rating and 28th in yards per rushing attempt allowed.

I don't expect the Vikings to win at Baltimore and at the Chargers over the next two weeks though.
Don't they still have the Rams and 9ers on their schedule?

Reaction score
KC has given up 10 rushing touchdowns and 15 passing.
I noticed that last game @Arizona put us at #12 offensive Scoring and improving through the season. We’re also gradually bettering in D points allowed at #13.
Good but not quite where we need to be.
In my estimation we need to get back into the top #8 in O scoring to have a legitimate chance at winning against a SB caliber opponent.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are currently only two teams (Bills, Jets) in the NFL that have given up more rushing than passing touchdowns.

You're right about that.
Now who has KC faced. Any top rushing teams. Derrick Henry. The Browns run the ball. Baltimore can gain 100 with just their QB. I am not sold on KC has a poor defense yet. Their success in the past was predicated on their offense scoring so much so often that other teams tried to keep up with them and got out of their game plan and thus you have blow outs. That is what the Chiefs will be trying to do.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Now who has KC faced. Any top rushing teams. Derrick Henry. The Browns run the ball. Baltimore can gain 100 with just their QB. I am not sold on KC has a poor defense yet. Their success in the past was predicated on their offense scoring so much so often that other teams tried to keep up with them and got out of their game plan and thus you have blow outs. That is what the Chiefs will be trying to do.
And 3 of their 4 wins have come against NFCE teams. The fourth against a 500 team. They haven't beaten anybody that currently has a winning record.

D

Deleted member 6794

I noticed that last game @Arizona put us at #12 offensive Scoring and improving through the season. We’re also gradually bettering in D points allowed at #13.
Good but not quite where we need to be.
In my estimation we need to get back into the top #8 in O scoring to have a legitimate chance at winning against a SB caliber opponent.

Just for the record, the Packers rank tied for 16th in points scored per game while being ninth in points allowed per game.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not sure if its MLF getting the call in late, substitutions still not in the huddle or Rodgers deciding to override the call and quickly think of his own. Might be a combination of all of the above. One situation he needs to avoid though is his cat and mouse game of trying to get the defense to jump early and instead, he runs the play clock down too far and has to take a TO. It really feels like the refs now do their best to take that "free play" away from Rodgers. They did in Thursdays game. Not sure why, because I see them give it to other teams.
I agree with this in a sense, but it isn't just the free play possibility. It's making the defense show their hand. If there's a blitz call, many times they will show it when they think the ball is about to be snapped.

That said, Rodgers' sometimes cavalier attitude toward timeouts frustrates me to no end.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree with this in a sense, but it isn't just the free play possibility. It's making the defense show their hand. If there's a blitz call, many times they will show it when they think the ball is about to be snapped.

That said, Rodgers' sometimes cavalier attitude toward timeouts frustrates me to no end.
Oh most definitely he does different things at the LOS, including scoping out the defense, deciding if he should audible out, checking the other 10 guys on his own team and as you said, trying to get the defense to show their hand and/or draw them off for a penalty and sometimes a free play.

Rodgers is a master conductor pre-snap, I think one of the best to play the game. It's happened over time, as he has accumulated quite a few tricks to improve upon it.

As far as the timeouts, I understand that with all of what he has to offer presnap, the cost of him doing it, can be the timeouts, delay of game or even causing his own players to jump. The frivolous wasting of timeouts used to really bother me, now I accept that it is as I said, a cost of doing business with AR. We can still **** and moan about it though. I imagine he would love to clean that part up a little, as well as get free plays more often. It seems refs have almost uniformly decided not to give him the free play and I also think the defenses are getting better at not biting on his hard counts or tipping their defensive strategy too early.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well tomorrow none of the decisions Love tries to make will be cavalier. They will be emphatic and desperate.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems refs have almost uniformly decided not to give him the free play and I also think the defenses are getting better at not biting on his hard counts or tipping their defensive strategy too early.

I think at some point with the play clock running down a defense needs to tip their strategy. Otherwise the offense has an advantage of the defense not being ready when the ball is snapped.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think at some point with the play clock running down a defense needs to tip their strategy. Otherwise the offense has an advantage of the defense not being ready when the ball is snapped.
That works both ways. If the defense does wait until the play clock has wound down far enough, does it leave Rodgers enough time to audible out of the original call? We see defenses constantly shifting around, something they are given more range of then the offense has.

D

Deleted member 6794

That works both ways. If the defense does wait until the play clock has wound down far enough, does it leave Rodgers enough time to audible out of the original call? We see defenses constantly shifting around, something they are given more range of then the offense has.

The defense waiting until the last second to show their hand might result in Rodgers not being able to audible out of a bad play but could end up in defenders not being in position as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The defense waiting until the last second to show their hand might result in Rodgers not being able to audible out of a bad play but could end up in defenders not being in position as well.
Yes and its a cat and mouse game. DC's and defenses study Rodgers and have a pretty decent playbook of what he does at the LOS. I didn't mean to imply that every defense waits until the very last second to "show their hand", but they go into games having studied film or at least they should have. Basically, the curtain was pulled to the side on many of his tricks, doesn't mean they still don't work, but less so with a well disciplined/coached defense. At times, I think those are the defenses that really frustrate Rodgers, the ones that he can't fool. Those are also the games where we see Rodgers visibly frustrated and off of his game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes and its a cat and mouse game. DC's and defenses study Rodgers and have a pretty decent playbook of what he does at the LOS. I didn't mean to imply that every defense waits until the very last second to "show their hand", but they go into games having studied film or at least they should have. Basically, the curtain was pulled to the side on many of his tricks, doesn't mean they still don't work, but less so with a well disciplined/coached defense. At times, I think those are the defenses that really frustrate Rodgers, the ones that he can't fool. Those are also the games where we see Rodgers visibly frustrated and off of his game.

I agree it's a cat and mouse game. Rodgers wins some and loses some but overall his track record is pretty amazing. It's true he burns too many timeouts doing it though.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not believe he only looks to audible in those cases. I think like in chess he is trying to be one move ahead and already in his mind making his reads before the ball is even snapped if that makes any sense. IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do not believe he only looks to audible in those cases. I think like in chess he is trying to be one move ahead and already in his mind making his reads before the ball is even snapped if that makes any sense. IMO.

Correct, but sometimes, his time can run out (play clock) and I think that is what can frustrate some of us.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers & "wasting" timeouts is an issue BUT he does get more out of the offence doing it his way. heck Mr. Favre used to throw picks but when he thread the needle & it got a Td I wasn't complaining. Different QB's but frustrating & audacious in their own ways

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think blitzing can be different. It can actually be an in the moment call for the blitzer. He can wait till the snap and if there is absolutely no hole; then he can back off. At least he should back off and try to diagnose the play. Too often in the past I have seen (I don't mean this year or even last) us try to rush up the middle when it is clogged and actually succeed in only making it more clogged.

Members online

Latest posts