Preston Smith Involved in Trade Talks

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ingalls has argued that the Packers could clear 30+M and would only have about 4M to spend on FA's.

I'm not arguing any point other than specifically the concept that Preston IMO is likely not getting cut in part to the AJ deal not happening. Or at minimum acknowledging it could be a reason, which isn't illogical.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not arguing any point other than specifically the concept that Preston IMO is likely not getting cut in part to the AJ deal not happening. Or at minimum acknowledging it could be a reason, which isn't illogical.

I still think he’s gone.

I think that Gutekunst publicly stated they had no plans to cut him in order to maintain any theoretical trade value.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think he’s gone.

I think that Gutekunst publicly stated they had no plans to cut him in order to maintain any theoretical trade value.

I don't disagree. I think only way he is back is a restructured deal, and to be fair unless he is chasing best chance at a ring, he likely would say no, I'll go earn money elsewhere.

Had AJ signed the offer though it 100% I think would mean PS would already be cut like Kirksey, Wagner are...

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's not realistic, but playing around on OTC we can keep just about everyone except Linsley just by restructuring or giving new deals to Rodgers, both Smiths, and Lowry(cutting him works too).....and that's keeping King and Jamaal as well.

Why Gute/Ball don't see this as an option is beyond me.

I understand everyone looks at Gary as Preston's replacement, but Gary also had the flexibility to play 4T/5T.....which doesn't suit Preston at all. Unless we're drafting 3 DL in the Draft or a CB who is just as elite as Jaire, I can't see how this makes sense. Even if Barry proves competent, I'm expecting a noticeable decline in the defense, unless Gary turns in a 13+ sack season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's not realistic, but playing around on OTC we can keep just about everyone except Linsley just by restructuring or giving new deals to Rodgers, both Smiths, and Lowry(cutting him works too).....and that's keeping King and Jamaal as well.

Because kicking the can down the road doesn't eliminate the can. Gute/Ball are thinking beyond 2021, not just 2021.

Also, to be fair the fact they were willing to make Jones a top 5 paid RB, tells me to a degree in the right situation they are willing to cripple the future for the next year or two...but they are not going to make it a habit.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why Gute/Ball don't see this as an option is beyond me....
Gute doesn't want to stay the same, with the same players...he wants to get better play with better players. Preston Smith & Lowry were serviceable but probably not getting any better. Jamaal Williams is good in certain roles, but not a standout workhorse. King isn't going to get any better after 4 years with GB, and he proved he's a liability on the field AND oft-injured.

Gute needs to make a run at improving the team to get PAST the NFC's best, not just get deep into the playoffs and get knocked-out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't disagree. I think only way he is back is a restructured deal, and to be fair unless he is chasing best chance at a ring, he likely would say no, I'll go earn money elsewhere.

Had AJ signed the offer though it 100% I think would mean PS would already be cut like Kirksey, Wagner are...

It will be interesting to see what kinds of decisions players/agents make in this cap climate. Guys might be more amenable to taking a pay cut if the alternative is trying to find a new deal in an offseason when everyone is getting squeezed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I understand everyone looks at Gary as Preston's replacement, but Gary also had the flexibility to play 4T/5T.....which doesn't suit Preston at all. Unless we're drafting 3 DL in the Draft or a CB who is just as elite as Jaire, I can't see how this makes sense. Even if Barry proves competent, I'm expecting a noticeable decline in the defense, unless Gary turns in a 13+ sack season.

Probably they just don't possess your football acumen, or access to advanced tools like OverTheCap.com.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because kicking the can down the road doesn't eliminate the can. Gute/Ball are thinking beyond 2021, not just 2021.

Also, to be fair the fact they were willing to make Jones a top 5 paid RB, tells me to a degree in the right situation they are willing to cripple the future for the next year or two...but they are not going to make it a habit.

The "can" gets smaller on the surface, but that's because Rodgers will be hopefully retired, and Adams should be on the downside of his career. Only Jaire Alexander, Kenny Clark, David Bakhtiari, and probably Rashan Gary will have significant cap figures. We don't even have to worry about Jordan Love yet.

Gute doesn't want to stay the same, with the same players...he wants to get better play with better players. Preston Smith & Lowry were serviceable but probably not getting any better. Jamaal Williams is good in certain roles, but not a standout workhorse. King isn't going to get any better after 4 years with GB, and he proved he's a liability on the field AND oft-injured.

Gute needs to make a run at improving the team to get PAST the NFC's best, not just get deep into the playoffs and get knocked-out.

I absolutely agree, but Preston is still a good cog in the defense in my opinion. I didn't pay King much more than the veteran minimum, he didn't make big bucks. But as a team with very little CB depth it seemed reasonable to keep him as a reserve guy for a very team friendly deal. I'm totally fine with Lowry going but then we have literally nobody but Kenny Clark and Kingsley Keke taking meaningful snaps in 2021. His replacement MUST be found this offseason or he has to stick around.

Probably they just don't possess your football acumen, or access to advanced tools like OverTheCap.com.

I'd love to book you at my next talent show, you'll knock em dead.

As much as we love to "Trust the Process" around here, I'm highly skeptical of this offseason. It has the feeling of either we'll make a Super Bowl appearance or we'll be knocked out in the Wildcard Round.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as we love to "Trust the Process" around here, I'm highly skeptical of this offseason. It has the feeling of either we'll make a Super Bowl appearance or we'll be knocked out in the Wildcard Round.
GB has been in the NFCCG the last 2 years. You think the loss of Jones, Linsley, Kirksey and King are going to equate to Wildcad Round loss? C'mon, man!! The only way that happens is an early season-ending injury (knock wood) to AR, Adams or maybe Clark.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is still by "normal" standards a very precarious offseason. Some teams will hit it big in the Draft, others will find their FOs in the hotseat. Teams will overspend for "guaranteed" talent in the form of veterans, and some teams will have to essentially rebuild their rosters due to regression in the salary cap. We don't even know what the preseason and training camp will look like yet.

My statement isn't a vote of no confidence in the Packers, but even in a "normal" league year there are no guarantees. The Jaguars could win it all in 2021 and it wouldn't even surprise me based on the circumstances the league finds itself in.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd love to book you at my next talent show, you'll knock em dead.

Be skeptical all you want of whatever you want. I don't expect anyone to just wholesale sell out for every move the FO makes.

But this isn't skepticism-- it's foolishness.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If selling out is sticking to my guns on what I may think is best for the organization so be it. At the end of the day I'm still a Packers fan; I'd love to be wrong. But just because I'm not quick to put on my rose colored glasses every time they make a move and be critical doesn't make me foolish.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If selling out is sticking to my guns on what I may think is best for the organization so be it. At the end of the day I'm still a Packers fan; I'd love to be wrong. But just because I'm not quick to put on my rose colored glasses every time they make a move and be critical doesn't make me foolish.

But assuming you know more than the General Manager and Executive Vice President, Director of Football Operations for the Green Bay Packers because you dinked around on a cap website for twenty minutes definitely does.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But assuming you know more than the General Manager and Executive Vice President, Director of Football Operations for the Green Bay Packers because you dinked around on a cap website for twenty minutes definitely does.

There you go again! Trying to take some hidden meaning out of my words. I literally said that the scenario was not realistic but a possibility. You need to do a better job of comprehending what you quote before crafting a response.

I simply outlined it as an avenue. Gute literally said he reached out to some players on restructuring, and then the next thing we hear is Preston is on the trade block. While I find it hard to believe that EVERY avenue ended in a dead end, I am not Gute or Ball. But to me what I believe will happen (make sure you read it twice), is Gute will come out of this realizing that whatever grand design he had for the team fell short when he could have taken an easier route. If you want to take that prediction as knowing better than them, so be it. Keep in mind that just because someone is a "professional", has a degree, 20 years of experience, etc doesn't mean they're always right or make the best decisions.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There you go again! Trying to take some hidden meaning out of my words. I literally said that the scenario was not realistic but a possibility. You need to do a better job of comprehending what you quote before crafting a response.

I simply outlined it as an avenue. Gute literally said he reached out to some players on restructuring, and then the next thing we hear is Preston is on the trade block. While I find it hard to believe that EVERY avenue ended in a dead end, I am not Gute or Ball. But to me what I believe will happen (make sure you read it twice), is Gute will come out of this realizing that whatever grand design he had for the team fell short when he could have taken an easier route. If you want to take that prediction as knowing better than them, so be it. Keep in mind that just because someone is a "professional", has a degree, 20 years of experience, etc doesn't mean they're always right or make the best decisions.

Lol. Nope.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know what I said, and I know the context that I meant. You telling me otherwise doesn't make whatever point you're trying to make valid. But since you're so sure of yourself I'll elaborate further:

The fact that I outlined it again as a possibility is because like someone else already said, they did make the NFCCG twice in a row, the incentive should be to retain and make subtle improvements where necessary. Or like Rodgers and other pundits say, "go all-in".

But again, as we've discussed in yet another thread, the Front Office, or the Packers organization in general, may be more focused on the long term viability of the product and less on winning now. So these moves may be to again make sure the Packers continue to have long term success, which may or may not result in another Championship in Rodgers career.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, I acknowledge that I was taking the slippery slope route, but you may not recognize my slight sarcasm. But I'm not a fan of the move.

Reaction score
Preston? I read he’s great every other year so we should get Clay back also. He was also bad his last year with us and we’d have 2 more All Pros ;)

nah seriously though, the net result is (If I remember that correctly) we’d save about $8mil cutting him?
I just don’t see getting a better value at Edge. I also like he has a history with the new DC and I’d leave that decision for Barry. I’d also consider adding ILB in this draft in that top #130 area.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to mention that, Preston's first 2 years were with Barry. I'm not saying Barry drafted him, but his "familiarity" might pay off.

And again, I know I've said this before, but Preston showed up out of shape last year. While at the end of the day, Preston is a pro and should conduct himself accordingly, I think had he shown up in shape, we're talking about 2-3 sacks that were left on the table. It would be a shame if that cost him his place in Green Bay but hopefully not.

D

Deleted member 6794

Per Albert Breer, the Packers could be shopping Preston Smith. This should come at no surprise given his salary
cap. Might as well try and get something for him. If unsuccessful via trade, the Packers will likely cut him post June 1st when he is due his 4M roster salary.

I'm quite sure the Packers won't be able to designate Preston a June 1st cut and not pay him the roster bonus he's due in March.

Haven't figured out where the savings come from if you pay a guy $4m to go away.

The Packers would save $8 million of cap space by moving on from Preston before March 20. After that they would only save $4 million as he's scheduled to be paid a $4 million roster bonus at that point.

The acquiring team will have him for 6.85M and 11.35M for the remaining years of his contract.

That first figure is really affordable for a starting edge rusher.

A team acquiring Preston would have to pay him the $4 million roster bonus, resulting in him counting $12 million (including the per game and workout bonuses) against their cap in 2021. That number increases to $12.5 million in '22.

Calm down, deadlines spur action. I'm convinced the Packers will make several moves to save cap space before the start of the new league year.

I agree that some moves suggested (restructure Rodgers' deal for example) should be no-brainers.

Reaction score
GB has been in the NFCCG the last 2 years. You think the loss of Jones, Linsley, Kirksey and King are going to equate to Wildcad Round loss? C'mon, man!! The only way that happens is an early season-ending injury (knock wood) to AR, Adams or maybe Clark.
I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibilities that we draft another OL early that would allow us to shuffle talent upfront and mitigate nearly any dropoff there.
Kirksey is mediocre on a good day and between the battle for year 2 replacements already here and a nice upgrade early draft at LB (;)) we likely will be a smidge better. Jones is going to be tough to replace, but I think people are going to be surprised what Dillon offers in a different capacity, especially if paired with the correct compliment RB. All our ? and fears around spending a day 2 selection are about to dissipate.
Adding Funchess and another WR in this draft is going to strengthen our WR core over last season to remain formidable.
It’s time to shore up the interior DL and I’d double my resources to get a stud next to Clark.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preston has had his contract "altered", via Tom Silverstein. No details yet, unknown if it's a pay cut or a restructure. So he's staying.

Members online

Latest posts