Preston Smith Involved in Trade Talks

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Russ Ball is a wizard! This is amazing. Also helpful that the free agent market is so deep because of the cap problem, many players will not see the $ on the open market they otherwise would. Excited for my next mock draft.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SUCK IT PRESTON HATERS!!!!
I haven’t seen any Preston Hate in here. Some thought it likely he would be a cap casualty, but I don’t think anyone hates him. If the reports are true that the Packers have found a way to keep him, I for one, am glad.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
@Poppa San That may be a Ken Inglas question on twitter. He is the Packers salary cap guru.

I think they should obviously try and shop him, if they have intentions on cutting him post June 1st. Because of his $, it is unlikely the return is high, then again he is an adequate pass rusher in a league short on pass rushers.
The Packers salary cap guru is.......... Russ Ball.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Packers salary cap guru is.......... Russ Ball.
Obviously the Packers salary cap guru is Russ Ball. Are you able to contact him and ask him where the 4 million savings comes from by trading Smith? Likely no one here does, thus Ken will actually respond to the question at hand. Context in this situation is everything my friend.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious. What happens if everyone hits on their incentives?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We close to the cap now? I'd imagine the Rodgers restructure and Z restructure are still coming... May have some $ to bring in a vet.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're roughly $2.7M over I believe. The Rodgers restructure alone I think would put us roughly $13M under the cap. And if you throw Z into the mix I daresay we might be at $20-22M under.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just curious. What happens if everyone hits on their incentives?

Incentives being hit count against the salary cap. Therefore the Packers would need to have the space available if that happens.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here is the low down on the Preston deal.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...ths-contract-save-7-25m-in-cap-space-for-2021

Another aspect of this restructure that I really like, is its unconventionality. It isn't that often that a team and a player, that has underperformed on their contract go this route. LaneTaylor accepted a similar deal last year. To me it sets up a win-win scenario for both sides vs just an outright release of the player. As some have stated, I think Preston is a good player to have in Green and Gold and this restructure not only justifies keeping him, it might help in becoming a more acceptable solution for other underperforming players in the future.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m guessing Smith and his agent looked around the league and figured that taking a pay cut in Green Bay was a better deal than getting squeezed on the open market.

He would have slotted in somewhere from 5th to 7th in terms of edge rushers at a time when big deals are probably going to be harder to come by.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Incentives being hit count against the salary cap. Therefore the Packers would need to have the space available if that happens.

Depends on the incentive. If a player has an incentive of 1 million dollars if he gets 10 sacks that 1 million will count against the cap this year IF the player had 10 sacks last year. This is considered a "likely to be earned" incentive. In essence he did it last year so its likely he will do it again this year so it counts this year.

If the player didn't have 10 sacks last year the amount will not count against this years cap as it is considered a "not likely to be earned" incentive. He didn't do it last year so we assume he won't do it this year so it doesn't count this year.

If the player hits a not likey to he earned incentive during the season the amount will count against next seasons cap not this season so the team doesn't have to have room for it this year.

If a player doesn't hit a likely to be earned incentive this year that amount of salary that counted against the cap this year is credited to the team next year.

IMO its one reason why teams don't go hog wild with incentives. If they offer a ton of incentives that are not likely to be earned and they end up being met it adds a ton to next years cap that they were not counting on. If they offered every player a 500,000 incentive if the Packers win the SB we would be hit with an excess of 25 miliion in cap hit next year if we do win it this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m guessing Smith and his agent looked around the league and figured that taking a pay cut in Green Bay was a better deal than getting squeezed on the open market.

He would have slotted in somewhere from 5th to 7th in terms of edge rushers at a time when big deals are probably going to be harder to come by.

They need to outline that same scenario to Lowry IMO as well...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Yeah maybe. Unless he would take a really substantial cut, I would still move on. There are lots of veteran DL out there that are better than him.

But maybe they could keep him on a reduced salary and still add a guy cheap. That would be a best case scenario.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah maybe. Unless he would take a really substantial cut, I would still move on. There are lots of veteran DL out there that are better than him.

But maybe they could keep him on a reduced salary and still add a guy cheap. That would be a best case scenario.

Here's a sure sign of trouble. If they line up with Lowry and Lancaster for a third year in a row next to Clark.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
good night that was crafty. That was just the nicest derogatory compliment a guy could ask for :roflmao:

For once I was being serious :D

I really like the move. I like Preston, just not at what he was scheduled to be earning. I think a Covid suppressed Free agent market has a lot to do with Smith agreeing to this, but I also hope it opens up the doors for the Packers and certain players to work out similar deals in the future.

This move also allows the Packers, in regards to defense for 2021, to fully focus on improving at DL, CB and ILB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's a sure sign of trouble. If they line up with Lowry and Lancaster for a third year in a row next to Clark.

Let's hope that this is not the plan, since I believe that had the Packers had one other bona fide star on the DL last season, we may have been in the SB. Lowry has regressed since they extended him in 2019 ($20.3 M) and Lancaster has shown very little in the way of improvement. I actually expect them to cut Lowry, unless he agrees to something like what they just did with Preston, but he is just a rotational backup at best.

Hopefully, the Packers find a bargain or 2 in the big pool of Free Agents and one of of those bargains is a solid starter on the DL.

D

Deleted member 6794

The only way the Packers save significant cap space by holding on to Lowry is him agreeing to take a substantial pay cut.

I'm not sure he's ready to accept such an offer.

Members online

Latest posts