Preston Smith Involved in Trade Talks

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Albert Breer, the Packers could be shopping Preston Smith. This should come at no surprise given his salary cap. Might as well try and get something for him. If unsuccessful via trade, the Packers will likely cut him post June 1st when he is due his 4M roster salary.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/08/mmqb-salary-cap-squeeze-free-agency-veteran-trade-candidates

I didn't read anything with confirmation beyond just reason or writer's speculation about Preston being in trade rumors. Is it possible 100%, but I place it in the same boat as a tag and trade of Aaron Jones - both possible 100%, actually being discussed...well Tagging Jones has been discussed with confirmation but nothing more.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Per Albert Breer, the Packers could be shopping Preston Smith. This should come at no surprise given his salary cap. Might as well try and get something for him. If unsuccessful via trade, the Packers will likely cut him post June 1st when he is due his 4M roster salary.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/08/mmqb-salary-cap-squeeze-free-agency-veteran-trade-candidates
per OTC
He has offseason roster bonuses worth $4 million each if on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2020 and 2021 league years, respectively.
Haven't figured out where the savings come from if you pay a guy $4m to go away.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
@Poppa San That may be a Ken Inglas question on twitter. He is the Packers salary cap guru.

I think they should obviously try and shop him, if they have intentions on cutting him post June 1st. Because of his $, it is unlikely the return is high, then again he is an adequate pass rusher in a league short on pass rushers.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Be lucky to get a 7th rounder with all the teams selling this year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Poppa San That may be a Ken Inglas question on twitter. He is the Packers salary cap guru.

I think they should obviously try and shop him, if they have intentions on cutting him post June 1st. Because of his $, it is unlikely the return is high, then again he is an adequate pass rusher in a league short on pass rushers.

I’m a curmudgeon and argumentative, so I’m just gonna say this.

Russ Ball is the Packers cap guru.

Ken Ingalls speculates. I have seen him say these things and more:

- GB can’t afford to pay Kenny Clark.
- GB can’t afford to pay Bakhtiari.
- Carson Wentz has too much dead money to be traded. It won’t happen.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but take what he says with a grain of salt. If he was as good as what he and others think he is, he’d be employed by an actual NFL team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m a curmudgeon and argumentative, so I’m just gonna say this.

Russ Ball is the Packers cap guru.

Ken Ingalls speculates. I have seen him say these things and more:

- GB can’t afford to pay Kenny Clark.
- GB can’t afford to pay Bakhtiari.
- Carson Wentz has too much dead money to be traded. It won’t happen.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but take what he says with a grain of salt. If he was as good as what he and others think he is, he’d be employed by an actual NFL team.

Virtually all self-appointed cap gurus specialize in saying that teams can't do things just before they go ahead and do them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Be lucky to get a 7th rounder with all the teams selling this year.

It's definitely a buyer's market, that's for sure.

The only angle I can see that might be helpful is that Smith is the only edge rusher on that list. So maybe there's a little bit more of a chance that he will bring a return?

But if they get more than a 6th, I'll be surprised.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely a buyer's market, that's for sure.

The only angle I can see that might be helpful is that Smith is the only edge rusher on that list. So maybe there's a little bit more of a chance that he will bring a return?

But if they get more than a 6th, I'll be surprised.

I think the market for Preston will be a fairly heated one, I could see an interested team throw a Day 3 pick our way if they don't want to compete in the market for him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the market for Preston will be a fairly heated one, I could see an interested team throw a Day 3 pick our way if they don't want to compete in the market for him.

The acquiring team will have him for 6.85M and 11.35M for the remaining years of his contract.

That first figure is really affordable for a starting edge rusher.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't read anything with confirmation beyond just reason or writer's speculation about Preston being in trade rumors. Is it possible 100%, but I place it in the same boat as a tag and trade of Aaron Jones - both possible 100%, actually being discussed...well Tagging Jones has been discussed with confirmation but nothing more.

I'd say Preston shopping is more likelier than Jones.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all coming together....

Preston will go to a new team for a 6th and get 13 sacks.

Joe Barry will tank.

Gute drafts some no name LB/DL guys to "replace" Preston.

Fan base pissed off.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all coming together....

Preston will go to a new team for a 6th and get 13 sacks.

Joe Barry will tank.

Gute drafts some no name LB/DL guys to "replace" Preston.

Fan base pissed off.

Classic Packer offseason. Just need to pepper in some surprising UDFA's that crush it in camp and then get only a few snaps all next season.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classic Packer offseason. Just need to pepper in some surprising UDFA's that crush it in camp and then get only a few snaps all next season.

RIGHT!!!!

Last time I played on a traveling team, if you looked good in practice you got playing time in the game, not look good in practice and ride the bench all season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gute has this "I'm too cool for school" pompous *** feel to him. When he's right he's the king of the world....but when he's wrong it's gonna get ugly, and he'll be the last guy to admit it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Virtually all self-appointed cap gurus specialize in saying that teams can't do things just before they go ahead and do them.
Amateur noisemakers.

I’m glad there are people out there that can explain cap specifics and intracacies but they are utterly useless when they interject with opinions on what teams will actually do.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
RIGHT!!!!

Last time I played on a traveling team, if you looked good in practice you got playing time in the game, not look good in practice and ride the bench all season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gute has this "I'm too cool for school" pompous *** feel to him. When he's right he's the king of the world....but when he's wrong it's gonna get ugly, and he'll be the last guy to admit it.
Ah yes, the vain babbling emanating from the nattering nabobs of negativism once again.
:)

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah yes, the vain babbling emanating from the nattering nabobs of negativism once again.
:)

Why because we don't "drink the kool-aid" must be considered negative?

We're allowed to have our own independent analysis, and I strongly believe getting rid of Preston is detrimental to this team; especially given the lack of flexibility we have in the defense. Plus that same lack of flexibility trying to learn a new variant of a defensive scheme.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

We're allowed to have our own independent analysis, and I strongly believe getting rid of Preston is detrimental to this team; especially given the lack of flexibility we have in the defense. Plus that same lack of flexibility trying to learn a new variant of a defensive scheme.
Projecting fans opinions about P. Smith getting cut onto Packer mgmt is just you creating a straw man so you can take cheap shots at the GM.
Very weak stuff.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Amateur noisemakers.

I’m glad there are people out there that can explain cap specifics and intracacies but they are utterly useless when they interject with opinions on what teams will actually do.

I mean, case in point— Ingalls is on Twitter basically saying the Packers can’t do anything in free agency. Meanwhile, they made a ~12M APY offer to a free agent like a week ago.

The arrogance of it is that he and others think that because they understand the basics, they know enough to be able to declare what is or is not possible.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Calling your opinion of Gutekunst's personality based on watching interviews online "independent analysis" is quite the stretch. However, you're right-- you're allowed to have your opinion. And Pike is allowed to refer to that opinion as vain babble. And I'm allowed to agree with him.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're privy to agreeing with him fine. But we'll never know who's right and who's wrong. But I have other reasons than just the body language he conveys on camera.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Including this post 45% of this thread has NOTHING to do with Preston being traded!!! Can it either be brought back on-topic or closed?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, case in point— Ingalls is on Twitter basically saying the Packers can’t do anything in free agency. Meanwhile, they made a ~12M APY offer to a free agent like a week ago.

To be fair, I think it is not within reason to assume had Jones accepted - Preston was all but gone. I think Jones wanting more is Preston's saving grace...because it is very clear and apparent there three massive reasons his being cut makes sense:

1. Tremendous cap savings
  2. Underperformed (various opinions as to how much of course)
  3. He is the one starter which has the most capable backup on the roster already.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To be fair, I think it is not within reason to assume had Jones accepted - Preston was all but gone. I think Jones wanting more is Preston's saving grace...because it is very clear and apparent there three massive reasons his being cut makes sense:

1. Tremendous cap savings
  2. Underperformed (various opinions as to how much of course)
  3. He is the one starter which has the most capable backup on the roster already.

Ingalls has argued that the Packers could clear 30+M and would only have about 4M to spend on FA's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts