Official Packers vs Cowboys

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might not give them a long lasting effect with a one play. But I think it becomes a snowball effect, just like losing becomes contagious.
One great play can cause this team to come out great the next game and not get behind how they have the past few games, getting ahead, means they can run the ball more, which means it gives the Oline confidence, which can then start blocking better, giving arod more confidence in the blocking, and so on. Before you know it. It can become a team that "gets hot".

When Grantland was still a website, Barnwell wrote a great article about the myth of momentum. It's worth a read: http://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-theory-momentum-football/

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Grantland was still a website, Barnwell wrote a great article about the myth of momentum. It's worth a read: http://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-theory-momentum-football/

For an article attempting to use hard data to make its point it curiously leaves out the part where most teams that take possession due to downs is the fact that teams generally take possession near their own goal line as they've just made a goal line stand so hense why less points are scored in those situations.

I've seen momentum affect games way too much to discard it. In our younger days of playing when you got on roll or on the flip side of being stuck in the mud and not being able to do anything right are all signs of momentum working either for or against you.

As for not putting stock in the fans cheering I'll simply trust all the ex players that say up n down that yes it did energize them. Also for whoever said they don't completely buy how much the players can even hear the cheers all I can say is ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? WTH hasn't seen an offense not be able to get a play called or lineman not hearing the snap count due to noise. We see it EVERY FREAKING WEEK. It's not debatable. It can get LOUD on the field and crowd noise can and does affect games

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll guess you're talking about me, RRyder. Read my post again. I said I didn't hear crowd noise while I was playing- not about NFL players not hearing the crowd. I also qualified my statement with the fact that I never played in front of 75,000 plus fans.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Blog really makes no sense, I mean other than the Browns, Titans, and I guess the 49ers and Chargers too by most technicalities, what other teams are actually totally in a mathematically unfeasible position to make the playoffs at the moment? Count on the major media outlets like ESPN to just put the Cowboys in a feel-good story like they do all year.

I mean in all honesty, given Cassel's bad play and given how the Redskins have ripped opponent after opponent apart on their home turf, does anyone in their right mind actually think they're going to win in Washington Monday night? I just don't see it happening at all and pretty sure if they lose that game their season is over.

alien visitor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I don't think a "good play" or "fans cheering hard" has a lasting affect. It might pump a team up for the next play, but I believe it gets forgotten soon after. Plus, there is not quantifiable evidence that it affects anything.

It's like fighting in hockey or hitting a batter in baseball. The "pump up" affect is temporary.

Seems like the opposite would ring true. If a safety misses on three plays the rest of the team either tries to pick him up or eventually quits playing hard. If one or two guys are having a good streak I think some positive emotion can have an effect, at least in the effort.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt emotions play a huge role in a player, an offense, a defense, the entire team and the game. Just how much each player is affected by anything the crowd does or doesn't do is probably widely variable. I think overall, the crowd feeds from the players rise and fall of emotions, because they see the effect on the field. Outside of crowd noise making it difficult for an offense or something, I'm not sure a crowd does anything to change momentum, other than maybe sustain the energy for a little bit.

Sky King

Reaction score
When I was in college, I was in the band. I also lived off campus all 4 years. Several of my roommates were football players. (For 2 years, my neighbors were female cheerleaders but that's another tale.) When I asked them about this, they said, yes they heard the crowd and the band and they did draw energy from it. Timeouts would refresh the spirit as well as the body.
All that other stuff is interesting but what about the cheerleaders?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like the opposite would ring true. If a safety misses on three plays the rest of the team either tries to pick him up or eventually quits playing hard. If one or two guys are having a good streak I think some positive emotion can have an effect, at least in the effort.

Maybe for the next play. I don't think momentum is a game long thing. Eventually everybody forgets about the pump up moment and just plays.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is it with these sports talk guys openly showing favoritism to certain teams? I thought these guys were supposed to be neutral (or least appear to be)? I can't take a guy's view of any team seriously when I know they have a bias towards a particular team.

Youre confusing journalists and commentators

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After tomorrow we'll have a 3-9 team coming to town. My prediction on tomorrow night's game:

Redskins 35
Cowboys 6

BOOK IT

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you doubting the relevance of momentum and crowd energy, were none of you at the Seattle game? That was one of the best Lambeau crowds I've ever experienced. Probably because we owed em a loss after last year's disaster. But if you don't think the crowd noise rattled their offense, you're wrong.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you doubting the relevance of momentum and crowd energy, were none of you at the Seattle game? That was one of the best Lambeau crowds I've ever experienced. Probably because we owed em a loss after last year's disaster. But if you don't think the crowd noise rattled their offense, you're wrong.

I was there and yeah we (the crowd) were freakin LOUD. It was great

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How will this go

Cowboys have to play Monday night, then travel to Green Bay. The Packers have been resting since Thursday night.

Cowboys are without Tony Romo, and as of this posting, have not won a game without him.

You would think this would be an easy win for GB, but then we thought that when Detroit came to Lambeau as well.

Cannot afford to lose this one. I'm cautiously picking the Packers, 27-13. If they drop this one, they're in deep doo-doo.

That said, the Vikings this week, uggh. They're far from being a great team. The division is still GB's to lose.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboys have to play Monday night, then travel to Green Bay. The Packers have been resting since Thursday night.

Cowboys are without Tony Romo, and as of this posting, have not won a game without him.

You would think this would be an easy win for GB, but then we thought that when Detroit came to Lambeau as well.

Cannot afford to lose this one. I'm cautiously picking the Packers, 27-13. If they drop this one, they're in deep doo-doo.

That said, the Vikings this week, uggh. They're far from being a great team. The division is still GB's to lose.
This is THE game for our offense to bounce back. We really need them to come around.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Do you want the truth, the truth as I'd like to remember it, or the Penthouse Forum version? ;)
I was a barely 18 yo freshman. They were 20-21 yo juniors and seniors.

Yeah, I read some of those tales in Penthouse Letters.

Youre confusing journalists and commentators

I'm having a hard time following this conversation, people keep talking football and distracting me from it, maybe it needs its own thread? :coffee:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our Oline doesn't get healthier, this might not be a good game for the offence to bounce back as the Cowboys have a defense that can be pretty tough. I look for the D to have to carry us again.

D

Deleted member 6794

That hasn't worked out too well. The offense has to score points--lots of 'em if the defense that played Denver shows up.

The defense has played pretty well overall, ranking 6th in the league in points allowed.

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We haven't won a game when Matt Cassel has started at QB. Our one world class receiver hasn't played well since breaking his foot. Our world class Tight End is slow and past it. Our Defence can't get turnovers or pull out the big stops on 3rd down.

And that's why we'll beat you, blind, mad, desperate hope

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

...or not.

Where's Richard Widmark when you need him?